BN TV

Artist Haneefa Adam Talks About Giving Barbie a Makeover through Project ‘Hijarbie’ | Watch on CNN African Voices

BellaNaija.com

1. Siju

June 25, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Is there anything proprietary about the addition of the Hijab to the dolls?

If not how sustainable is this idea?
    As it will only take Mattel a minute to add an extra piece to their prototype and mass produce hijabite Barbie.

Mattel is vertically intergrated, as well as other worldwide distribution and economies of scale.

• ema

June 25, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Number of comments keep mutating from 22 to 16 to 10 to 16 to 9.
      Bellanaija pls get ur act together. Either you want a balanced view on the post or polarised views or just turn off comments!!!!????.
      We saw how u deleted comments .

2. tunmi

June 25, 2017 at 2:25 pm

There was a Nigerian who created some black dolls a while ago

3. Tobi

June 25, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Thank you Bella??

4. Obiageli

June 25, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Lool. I was surprised when I noticed the diminishing comments. I see you guys had become aware of some of the really really nasty comments. Yeap thanx Bella for moderating. Please next time be on stand bye to blog nasty comments. Happy celebrations to my Muslim friends.

5. Ajala & Foodie

June 25, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I am glad to see that such hateful comments have been deleted. But…. I was also appalled and shocked by the number of people that liked them. Are people really full of so much vile and hatred. 1 is an exception but a 100+ likes tells a totally different story. But wait BN, my original comment on this post was deleted and it was a sincere honest question that I seek answers to. Or did you guys just delete the whole comment section and start all over? There was no insult insinuated or otherwise with said question either.

• Obiageli

June 25, 2017 at 7:45 pm

@Ajala&foodie it may surprise you to know that people actually like their own comments yeap, if you are a sad little someone you can multiply your likes by touching on the like button several times. People even come on with different avatars seemingly to agree with themselves. Sad isn’t it.

6. Olori

June 25, 2017 at 7:17 pm

They deleted all the previous comments. Hmm. I smell bias. Why apply a policy to just a select few? Why don’t you delete comments when Dencia is abused because of her skin colour or when Tonto is abused for cross dressing for a day huh? BN, don’t be a waste. You most likely would not post this comment, at least someone on the team read it and would spread the message.

• Ajala & Foodie

June 25, 2017 at 7:45 pm

@ Olori, not exactly comparing apples to apples here. Dencia, is “abused” for a whitencious abi whatever she calls it, that is her product and her market, what she is selling, Tonto, put up her own picture of herself crossed dressed, that was the topic even when insulted it was for that action. Here is a woman that is on here for her idea, instead of people addressing the idea they went after her religion not her idea. Hence, Siju’s comment still remaining although it criticized the product and the woman’s creativity.
      Btw. I have never commented on Dencia or Tonto’s “palava” and I don’t agree with people who resort to insults in a bid to express an opposing point of view. But I don’t believe BN s being selective about their policy.

I also thought why is it so difficult to celebrate our own? the same thing I saw with Ms. Makinwa’s posts, it is no wonder we believe the West has to celebrate us for our own to embrace us. A top beauty firm recently made nail polishes for Muslim women, we celebrated that but let it be one of our own the focus is placed on the religion instead of the product and the individual. I “weak” for us as a continent especially Nigeria. As long as the person is doing something positive and yielding positive results why can’t we celebrate them? For the Bible slinging Christians even Paul said it does not matter why God is preached as long as he is being preached, Who cares about this woman’s religion or Ms. Makinwa’s marriage as long as they are both yielding good and positive results? Let’s learn to celebrate our ladies doing good on whatever level or at the minimum say nothing at all, instead of condemning them.

• Ajala & Foodie

June 25, 2017 at 8:24 pm

@Olori, I don’t think what you have is a fair comparism and wrote a long epistle explaining why but BN has decided to “ol ’em hostage” and I refuse to type my story once again to have it go sit in junk mail under the guise of “moderation”.

• Tobi

June 25, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Hear hear , well said @Ajala and co.

• Osa

June 25, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Thanks. Very biased blog but its ok when toke makinwa in insulted for nothing.! We comment they say it was harsh. Try being a victim of these so called people.
      Whatever i still find the idea of theses dolls quite solly

7. Su

June 25, 2017 at 11:16 pm

@ Ajala and foodie
    Only Siju and Tunmi’s comment are related to the post.

And to be fair, Siju’s comment is constructive and comes with fact. A sensible business person will take it and run with it to better their business