News

Hermès Birkin’s Handbag Breaks World Record, Sells for $380,000

BellaNaija Style

Hermès has broken its own record!

The luxury handbag broke the world auction record in Hong Kong on Wednesday, according to Christie’s spokeswoman, Gigi Ho.

The matte white “Himalaya Niloticus” crocodile skin Hermès Birkin bag with 18-karat-gold buckles and strap loops encrusted with 205 diamonds, sold for 2.94 million Hong Kong dollars ($380,000). Although the auction house did not identify the buyer of the exceptional piece, Christie’s Gigi Ho can confirm that the price flew past the pre-sale estimate of HK 1.5 million to 2 million ($193,000-$258,000) during 10 to 15 minutes of intense bidding in the auction room, from the phone and online buyers.

Himalaya Birkin gets its name from the bag’s colour, which fades from smokey grey to pearly white, evoking comparisons with the mountain range. The company says they’re exceptionally rare, with only one or two believed to be made each year because of a time-consuming process to dye the crocodile skin.

The highly coveted bag was created in 1984 by French luxury label Hermes in honour of British singer and actress Jane Birkin. It’s famous for a stratospheric price tag, celebrity owners and a years-long waiting list.

The previous record holder was another Birkin bag which had identical specifications as the one just sold was auctioned off for a cool $300,000.

If the price is giving you a headache, keep in mind that the luxury handbags are rumoured to be a better long-term investment than gold.

1. Deleke

June 1, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Vanity

2. dee

June 1, 2017 at 1:08 pm

who bought it?

3. Marie Antoinette

June 1, 2017 at 1:53 pm

@Deleke…It is an investment, not vanity…the price doubled at the close of that auction. The new owner will make a kill if he or she decides to sell now and even more in a couple of years.

4. tessa

June 1, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Very soon u go see naija celebs “rocking it”….Toke and co.
    as if they can afford $380,000
    Mcheew

5. Andrew

June 1, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Linda Ikeji??

• osa

June 1, 2017 at 4:46 pm

No she goes for the ones that wear raincoat.??? She aint even in this league

6. Deleke

June 1, 2017 at 2:54 pm

And you will carry all the returns to heaven?

7. Asa

June 1, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Bag that Linda has two of sef!

8. Marian

June 1, 2017 at 3:53 pm

only a stupid foolish idiot will buy this bag. I don’t care if you are a trillionaire.
    I dont respect people who wear designer wear (eg Toke Makinwa) especially if you are still a renter. I think they are the dumbest mutherckers that ever lived.

Even if you have and own your house, why would anyone shell out this amount of money ona bag, How do you sleep at night. Low Self Esteem inferiority complex people. Nigeria is saturated with them

• AceOfSpades

June 1, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I pray that one day God bless you. Bless you so much you look at this type of comment you just spewed and laugh at your *insert whatever adverb*.

• Cocolette

June 1, 2017 at 5:49 pm

My dear I don’t think it’s ‘Toke Makinwa dem’ that this article is talking about. There is money and there is MONEY! This here is money some people lose without blinking so why not use it to buy something they like? But our Nigerian IG slayers no follow for the league abeg..

• blackbeatle

June 1, 2017 at 7:10 pm

toke can do without your “respect” madam..you want people to apologise for what they like?? did you loan her the money ??..and i don’t even like toke but your comment sounds more like envy

9. Yinka Ogunbajo

June 1, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Total Rubbish!! Nothing but vanity! Only stupid people buy such rubbish!!!

10. NP

June 1, 2017 at 6:25 pm

All those saying this is vanity. Let me ask a question: Would you buy a classy 50 dollar quality outfit that you desired and could easily afford without feeling a pinch or you would stick to a 5 dollar dress you don’t like because “it is vanity” to buy a more expensive dress when there is a cheaper one available?

It is only the one-legged man who says that football is a bad game.

Shiiiooorrrr….abeg, make we think. Mtcheeewww….

11. Anon

June 1, 2017 at 6:45 pm

The territory of – Victoria Beckham, Jamie Chua, Tamara Ecclestone and Ann Walton Kroenke to name a few. “Money is no object.”

There are levels.

12. Tee

June 1, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Lol @ Asa, I bet you meant Linda Evangelista abi. I still remember how people dissed some of us when we said Mercy Aigbe dey carry china Hermes, unless she sell her house to buy one. Some people backward Sha no be small. Instead make dem no talk if you know little or nothing about a topic, dem must form I sabi. I remember way back in Uni wey some club boys go dey form say dem wear Rolex. I go dey laff then cos all a China, but na we be hater if you talk abi ITK. Linda Ikeji, no disrespect o. I know say you get original Hermes but not the crocodile ‘Birkin’.

• Bia

June 1, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Which one do you have? Why bring Linda into this post?? Bad belle oshi and you wonder why you are not progressing.

• omalicha

June 2, 2017 at 2:27 am

@ Tee, Linda owns a mansion on Banana Island, owns a pretty darn successful business and owns an Hermes purse which is quite trivial in light of her other possessions . Abeg which one out of all these you buy. Church rat making the loudest noise. Mind you, I am so so not a Linda fan.

13. Tee

June 2, 2017 at 12:06 am

@bia I’m actually recruiting right now, nothing posh like Linda blog, its agriculture, supporting at least 68 women. Wetin you dey do? ?? I bet you didn’t read that part I agreed that Linda has original Hermes abi… I no go curse you, you can reread my comment from the top …???

14. purplegirl

June 2, 2017 at 4:04 pm

But the bag is ugly?!!! Abi is it just my eye?

15. Claire

June 3, 2017 at 2:57 am

Hum…. How many crocodiles had to die to make this bag? And from which country/countries? Je wanda….