Career

Nigerian Lady Becomes First Black PhD holder in Biomedical Engineering from Canadian University | Read her Inspiring Story

First Black PhD Graduate in Biomedical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada

Adeola, a Physics graduate of Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU) is the first black person to bag a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.

In her Facebook post, she narrated how she stood strong against all odds to get to this stage where she is immensely proud of herself.

She explained how she applied to over 100 schools just to get a scholarship and how she had to work different part-time jobs to sustain herself.

Here is her full post:

As the 5th child of 5, I always had to wait for my turn. I was the last, a girl child and raised by a mother who is farmer and a father who has little, I hawked pepper on the streets of Ibadan as early as age 10 to help my mum. Went to public primary and secondary school in Ibadan. Attended OOU and studied Physics. Because I had a 2.1, it opened the door for me to proceed to Finland for a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering. During this masters degree, I worked part-time as a cleaner and did this after my Masters as well. Out of determination, I applied to over 100 schools for my PhD and finally got a full 3 year scholarship (later extended to 4 years scholarship) at University of Saskatchewan, Canada to pursue a PhD in Biomedical Engineering. While in that PhD program, I worked part-time as a makeup artist, teaching assistant, braided hair and fix weaves to make extra money.

Today I walked the stage as the first black person to bag a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada!!! I walked this stage for you Mama Africa and for my Motherland Nigeria!!! I walked the stage for all of you black women disrespected and looked down on!!!! I walked for all of you from my ghetto hood “Mokola”, Ibadan. I walked for all OSU students and ex-students that got that look from people who think we are not brilliant!! I walked for all of you Africans in Finland wondering what is next for you!!
Specially, I walked for you my parents. siblings and extended family in fulfillment of your dreams! Specially, I walked the stage for you my late sister Omoleye Olubamiji and my late mentor Ayodele Olatunbosun. Today I walked for my future husband and my unborn children who patiently waited for me to fulfill my dreams so that he can have a wife he will be proud of and they can have a role model to look up to. I walked for all immigrants and all young adults who strived everyday chasing their dreams!!! I walked in celebration of the unfailing love of my first and one truly true love Jesus Christ (in you I walk in you I live and in you I have had and will continue to have my being)!!!

Be bold, be innovative, be different, be you, be everything you want to be but remember to put God first!!! Let no man, upbringing, money, circumstance, colorism, past mistakes, institution, company, partner, background, let nothing tell you you can’t do it. Go smart! Go hard!! Go for Gold!!! Go with God!!! Just Get Going!!!!! #Grad2017 #PhDConvocation #UofS

1. Chimezie onyemzoroegbuna

June 8, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Congratulations my good sister, may God guide & protect you in all your doing in Jesus name amen. Am happy for you

2. Manny

June 8, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Congrats Adeola. I doff my hat to you.

3. Chinny

June 8, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Congratulation. Well done!!!!!!!!

4. Look

June 8, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Congratulations!!

5. Favour

June 8, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Congrats.. God bless you and all yours.. more grace in Jesus name

6. Social Media

June 8, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Wow, Mighty Congrats.
    I dont know you , but I am so proud of , your story and how far you have come. ???????.
    You’re indeed an insipiration & epitomise the true meaning of Success . Bravo exceedingly Execeptional.

7. Hannah

June 8, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Congratulations!!

8. Fabulous B

June 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm

You did it, ma’am. Wow! So proud of you. Blessings all the way

9. HBT

June 8, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Take a moment and reflect on what you childhood was like? Love and toys from all angles and there she was earning a living from a tender age of 10. I love the present chapter of her life @ the PhD. The Chapters to come will be greater IJN. Truly inspiring story- how many people will send out even half of the 100 scholarship applications she sent out. It truly pays to be determined, focused, persistent, hardworking and to let God take the wheels. #Thanks for sharing your story #

10. advise needed

June 8, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Huge congratulations to her. No mean feat.

I have been looking to relocate via legit means. Thinking of a masters in Canada but was told that because I have a 2:2, I CANT go for a direct masters, but instead, I MUST go for a 2 year post graduate diploma to be able to get a 3yr post-study work permit. How true is this pls? Also can I do a PGD in a different field from what I did for my BSc or must it be same field? I really want to switch. And if my son joins me, will he be paying school fees (he’s in secondary school here). Looking at Ontario or BC areas. Pls assist with any relevant info. Thank you

• Mesh

June 8, 2017 at 10:19 pm

You can go for a PGD. I did that although it was different from my BSc but it was in line with my occupation then. I had to leave my daughter behind Althouse a strong tie to go back home but we all know we are not. Your son can attend school for fresale when he finally joins you but my advice is for you to leave him out of your application. Are you married or single?

• Mesh

June 8, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Correction- he can go for free till he gets to college.left my daughter behind as a strong tie

• BlueEyed

June 8, 2017 at 10:49 pm

You can apply for your masters in Canada or US with your 2:2, except your looking for scholarship which means good GPA for Canada and good GRE for US (as it is highly competitive) I advise you look into American schools too, all that PGD story isn’t exactly true, it’s only so for people who can’t wait or need the fastest routes, also you can read another course for your PGD or masters if they aren’t so far off, they’ll usually give you a semester or extra courses to test your knowledge before you proceed with the new course.

• advise needed

June 9, 2017 at 1:29 am

@mesh I’m married. If I leave him out of the application at what stage and how do I now apply for him to join me? He’s an only child and my husband has a tasking and demanding job here.

• advise needed

June 9, 2017 at 1:32 am

@Blue eyed. Thank you. I didn’t know USA gives post study work visa. I have to go to a country that offers that after study since the plan is to relocate afterwards

• Ajala & Foodie

June 9, 2017 at 3:23 pm

@ Adivse needed, the USA gives what is called post optional practical training but it is only for 1 year or 17months for STEM students . It has is actually part of your F-1 visa I.e student visa. However, if you doing only masters after the 1 year, you would need to find a company to sponsor you and that gives you your H-1B, which is a work permit. If you go to a top tier school for your masters finding a sponsor company maybe easy, otherwise, it may be difficult. I know people who schooled here but had to do “arrangee” because no company to sponsor. Since you are married, I would advice going to Canada. My brother studied in the US (under grad and Masters) and after almost 18years of schooling, working and living in the US, he had to move to Canada. His company was having problems getting his permanent residency application approved and he was just stuck here (could not leave the country). I however, do not know much about Canada but I believe their part way to permanent residency via schooling is way easier than the U.S, the truth is the U.S is a lot harder, especially if you are trying to do things the right way, which I highly commend and recommend. (My brother did not go the schooling route to Canada).

If you are pursuing a doctorate in STEM you can file for permanent residency in the U.S upon completion on your own but if not na sponsor.

11. 'Diddie

June 8, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Congratulations… The sky is your starting point

12. Bee

June 8, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Congratulations ma’am

13. Pink

June 8, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Congratulations! !!!

14. Bea

June 8, 2017 at 9:04 pm

This is really inspiring. You are an Amazon. God will take you to great places in life in Jesus Name

15. tunmi

June 8, 2017 at 9:58 pm

This made me tear up!!!!!! Like yes ma’am, get it!!!!! Just look at how far perseverance and your faith brought you!!!!! You Madam are amazing!!! From the slums, from poverty, from a Naija public school, and you made through (not out) through!!!!!!!!

16. Mz Socially Awkward....

June 8, 2017 at 10:08 pm

?????????? that speech came from somewhere deep within. You’ve done amazingly well, hon. Really inspiring feat, in spite of the odds. Congrats and keep blazing ahead, with God’s blessings!

• anonymous

June 9, 2017 at 5:17 am

To be honest MSA, a deep place.

When she mentioned all the people she walked the stage for, I’m sure they were her inspiration to succeed.

I felt particularly guilty cos I used to look down on OOU students.

When I have kids, I’ll teach them to treat everyone with dignity, that hawker today is a phd holder/record breaker.

17. BlueEyed

June 8, 2017 at 10:42 pm

From one Biomedical Engineer to another, congratulations sis (although you beat me to it i wanted to be the first!!) Nonetheless this is not an easy feat and a win for one is a win for all!

18. shamazi

June 8, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Congratulations! You are indeed a source of inspiration. Thank you for being unrelenting in hardwork. This is just the beginning!

19. Corolla

June 8, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Atta girl!

20. Mrs chidukane

June 9, 2017 at 12:30 am

Congrats

21. aj

June 9, 2017 at 1:26 am

Congrats Lady! I thank God on your behalf!

22. Mar

June 9, 2017 at 7:17 am

I know her. She went to the same Uni as my partner, in Finland. She was extremely hardworking and focused!! Truly deserved!!

23. nena

June 9, 2017 at 10:56 am

I SEE YOU FIN SIS

24. Deborah

June 9, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Congratulations!!!

25. Felinda

June 9, 2017 at 6:09 pm

i dont know you but I am so proud of you sister i could hug you right now Adeola

I think there should be a special version for TedEx Talk that goes to the underpriviledge and ghettos to give speeches and give young people hope that no matter your background your dreams are valid. and let no one and absolutely no one tell you different. Sometimes even parents and close family are the biggest dream killers, you tell them what you aim for they shut you down like “how can you do it” – stop dreaming. African Parents are dream killers with Phds

Not everyone in the ghetto has computer to watch tedex on youtube or understand english) so i suggest if you got out and became a success story you can start a talk of some sort by going back to these areas and speaking to the youth to encourage them. IF YOU HAVE BEEN THERE AS THEY HAVE THEY CAN RELATE TO YOU MORE AND LISTEN to you

26. Mesh

June 10, 2017 at 6:40 am

@adviseneeded. ….he can join you whenever you want. When you settle down and preferably after 6 months you can invite him and your husband. They will be issued a visa for the duration of your course. He can start school when he comes and your husband can go back. It’s not a problem. His status will run simultaneously with yours. When you are done with school, you can apply for post study work permit. Work for a year and put in for your permanent residence. If your son is ready for college at that point then he can pay as a local student.

• advise needed

June 10, 2017 at 9:45 am

Ok thank you very much. The CIC website said one can include family members at the point of applying for the study visa. But I didn’t know doing that could reduce one’s chances of getting the visa. My plan was to put him in my application and go immediately with him. My husband can come later to visit. He has a good job here and not planning to relocate soon.

27. Mesh

June 10, 2017 at 4:15 pm

@advice needed. …..am not saying it’s not possible to include him in your application but you have to prove enough finances to do that. My advice is to apply alone. Leaving him behind is a strong tie. Please go to naira land forum and search for the latest discussion on Canadian student visa 2017. Am also on the forum. You will get a lot from there. You will find a lot of people that has been in your situation and how they did it.Open an account and join the forum. You won’t regret it. I don’t follow blogs. My sister told me that someone needed an advise here so I decided to drop a few lines here. See you on naira land.

• advise needed

June 10, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Ok thank you so much. Will join in there.

28. Abdulrazaq Aliyu Yunus

June 11, 2017 at 12:39 am

congratulations sister

29. abe margaret

September 2, 2017 at 1:15 pm

bright destinies will always come to life and shine no matter how ugly it begins…am inspired..adewealth you rock