Scoop

Olympian Sanya Richards-Ross Reveals She Had an Abortion Before the 2008 Olympics

BellaNaija.com

BEIJING, CHINA – AUGUST 29: Sanya Richards-Ross of the United States looks on during the Women’s 4×400 Metres Relay heats during day eight of the 15th IAAF World Athletics Championships Beijing 2015 at Beijing National Stadium on August 29, 2015 in Beijing, China. (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)

Five-time Olympic medalist Sanya Richards-Ross reveals in a new memoir that she had an abortion just weeks before the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Sanya dropped the news in her new book, ‘Chasing Grace: What the Quarter Mile Has Taught Me About God and Life’ saying she and her husband, Aaron Ross made the decision together during a phone call.

“Everything I ever wanted seemed to be within reach, The culmination of a lifetime of work was right before me.

In that moment, it seemed like no choice at all. The debate of when life begins swirled through my head and the veil of a child out of wedlock at the prime of my career seemed unbearable. What would my sponsors, my family, my church, and my fans think of me?” She wrote in the memoir.

Sanya competed in the 400m race that year and won the bronze medal as part of the 4×400 relay team.

Photo Credit: Getty Images|Michael Steele

1. Corolla

June 6, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Why do people care so much about what others think? You kill odin din foetus just because of what others will say? Then maybe you shouldn’t be having premarital sex.

• tunmi

June 6, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Why? Because we were raised to, because the hurt and pain of being judged harshly can be a lot, because we want to feel worthy, because we don’t want to let people down, because of a whole fucking lot. So let’s stop pretending this thing of us caring about what people think happens in a vacuum.

• Leobaby

June 7, 2017 at 3:20 pm

The sad part is I honestly don’t think she did it because of the fear of what people would say. Most likely it would have interfered with her olympics dream. It’s your body, docwhat you like with it but don’t tell lies about the reasons. You did it for your career full stop. I’m not even sure why she’s telling the world this.

2. C

June 7, 2017 at 2:33 am

Had to have been hard. Can’t imagine being in a situation to make such a decision of abortion even if my life is at risk cause I really love children and the idea of having half of me again but menh abortion is the hardest decision ever and even harder to reveal. I feel very sorry for any woman ever been in such a predicament I know a lot of Nigerian girls keep quiet about these stuff cause of our society and upbringing just know it’ll be OK either way and as much as you think your mom might not understand don’t be so quick to jump to such decisions I think this one is something most moms were created to help you through granted not all you know your mother more than I do I guess.

3. Temi

June 7, 2017 at 3:23 am

DID SHE SAY: A CHILD OUT OF WEDLOCK?? I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS… SO MY DEAR WHY YOU OPEN YOUR LEGS?? A GOOD CHRISTIAN GIRL SHOULD ABSTAIN FROM SEX BEFORE MARRIAGE.. PLEASE, TAKE A WALK. RUBBISH

• FifiLa

June 7, 2017 at 6:44 am

What a lovely non-judgemental Christian you are! Calling others rubbish…. such a classy move!
      Do better!

4. Lilo

June 7, 2017 at 3:36 am

Hmmmmm. Some thing s should be taken to the grave

• #Proudnigerian

June 7, 2017 at 5:42 am

Judgina onoha. Show me somebody that dosent have a past and I will show you a liarrr!

5. FifiLa

June 7, 2017 at 6:41 am

Christians are the most judgemental people….. instead of practicing what you’re taught at church, you come here to judge and cast aspersions on others. Your sins are no different …..
    Show me a Christian and I’ll show you a person most likely to judge and gossip about others…
    Blah, blah good Christian girl … don’t judge because you’ve hidden your sins from the public.

• Mama

June 7, 2017 at 7:52 am

And you judging christians makes you what now? You say they shouldn’t judge, yet you judge them for judging. Shey you have addressed the person specifically, was there any need to cast aspersions on all christians? C’mon gaan sit down!

• mee

June 7, 2017 at 3:16 pm

christians are not jugdgemental, Get ur facts right our lord jesus told the adulturous woman i do not condenm you go and sin no more. your generalisation is myopic madam.

6. john

June 7, 2017 at 7:32 am

Without reading the article , I know it is a black woman, the worst steward of children on planet earrh..the worst place a child can be on this earth is on a black woman womb..

• Deleke

June 7, 2017 at 8:04 am

Whoa! I wouldn’t go that far bruh

• Californiabawlar

June 7, 2017 at 9:51 am

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything so insulting to ones own nature. You cursed your own place of conception… what’s more to say? You believe you’ve been an abomination from even the foetal stage so it justifies your miserable existence. Hian! Whatever your mum did to you couldn’t have been so bad na! Take it easy o!

p.s. BN we all could have done without reading this! Ugh! ?

• Oluchi

June 7, 2017 at 10:01 am

You see, I don’t understand Bellanaija. You guys won’t post certain comments no matter how harmless they might be just because they’re about something or someone you’re biased towards, but you will post deeply racist, misogynistic and downright hateful messages from John, Chief and Paul Adeyomo that insult all women, including YOU, UCHE PEDRO, as you are a BLACK WOMAN and a BLACK MOTHER at that. Sometimes I wonder: are they the same person? And do they work for you? You know, to post provocative comments so people will respond? I don’t get it, really

• The Real Oma

June 7, 2017 at 10:06 am

Like i am tired of BN, they post comments they should have no business posting and then withhold those they shouldn’t.
      How did this comment of John’s pass moderation? What is the point of moderation then, might i ask?
      This is a Nigerian blog, run by Nigerians and you allow someone to cast such aspersions on our essence and heritage just so you can have what, one or two more comments? Well, now you have three, and i am sure you will get more.

• Iya

June 7, 2017 at 11:13 am

Little wonder you turned out this way…poor you.

• FifiLa

June 7, 2017 at 11:41 am

Having to acknowledge that her contribution to society is you, is surely the worst pain that any woman can feel.

• Bea

June 7, 2017 at 1:18 pm

@ John – thhere’s only one thing that’s certain, John, based on the idiotic comments you’ve made today, as well as those you’ve made in recent times, you have a very disturbed soul. You are a deeply disturbed person, and it’s honestly not an insult. I suggest you seek help. This is how sociopaths and psychopaths are bred.

You’ve made several comments in recent times about the female gender and other issues, but this filth you’ve just put down today definitely demonstrates your idiocy. Sometimes people on BN cringe or shout or complain about your comments , but I think this has crossed the threshold of acceptable behaviour. You are very disturbed. Go and get help before it’s too late for those around you.

• Leobaby

June 7, 2017 at 3:23 pm

See John you NEED serious Help, Mental evaluation and Therapy. I wonder what Black women did to u. Try speaking to your local priest he might be able to help

7. FifiLa

June 7, 2017 at 7:55 am

@Mama the way my comment touched you is proof that you’re the very same judgemental Christian I was referring to.
    Good day

• Mama

June 7, 2017 at 8:36 am

Oya, carry the proof to court! So you can pass a verdit on my character based one response to you and still consider non-judgemental? HYPOCRISY in uppercase!

8. Bad gang

June 7, 2017 at 8:20 am

Na wa o so there is no difference in judging and correcting? Any suggestion or advice somebody brings up is judging?
    If there is no threat (medically) to a mother’s life, why take the life of an innocent child? Out of wedlock or not…was the baby (foetus with life) responsible for the ‘awkward’ situation? A woman understands fully when she has unprotected intercourse, likelihood of a baby showing up is possible, she goes ahead with the sex, she’s pregnant, she feels the weight of pregnancy and raising a child is too much, she takes the abortion decision and says its her body….its not your body, its the baby’s body… if you don’t want kids, take the right steps…stop murdering innocents!

• Lliki

June 7, 2017 at 9:22 am

????????? The truth is bitter, loud it though!

• I

June 7, 2017 at 9:31 am

There’s no point correcting someone who already feels sorry for his/her action. The point of correction is to prevent such a thing from happening again right? Well, if you know the person is sorry already yet you still feel the need to point it out, then sorry, you’re judgmental.

• Bad gang

June 7, 2017 at 10:12 am

@I well I agree with your views about a judgemental person but with what BN put up there sanya richard-ross isn’t sorry….she actually set out to go for an abortion…she called her husband to discuss having an abortion…who sets out to do something terribly inhumane and is sorry for it?? Answer: an unapologetic arrogant hardliner.

• Bad gang

June 7, 2017 at 10:24 am

Maybe @I you are right…I just read the message rather carefully…my bad…well my message about abortion was for those who are irresponsible with unprotected sex, I just want humanity to treat human life with respect, dignity and sanctity not like some lab experiment…thanks…I will be better

9. Truth-be-told

June 7, 2017 at 9:38 am

Definately not one to insult people, but in this case, it has been a long time coming. It baffles me that Bella Naija allows the idiotic comment of some particular uncouth people be posted all the time for want of traffic. I would not even dignify your disgusting comment by responding to you directly; but your statement in general. You cannot even pass across your sick message without errors. If you have had experiences with black women, refer to the ones in particular who have harmed you or simply state that “some” behave in a certain manner, rather than generalize about it being “so terrible” to be born to a black woman. But no, your premature stunted ant brain won’t allow you do so. Anyway, I ought to bear what your are saying realizing that people like you ought not to be on earth. You are a typical example of one who should have been flushed out with your type of comment. Miserable mistake of a human being. Judgemental imbecile.

10. Frida

June 7, 2017 at 10:10 am

As mother Theresa of Calcutta once said ‘it’s POVERTY to kill someone just so you can live your life the way you wish’. That sums it up- poverty of the mind.
    This is why I can never judge women who have kids out of wedlock. We Christians really have to reconsider the way we judge young single mothers. It’s a graver sin to abort a child because of fear of what people will say or fear of being judged.
    Christians have to learn to correct with Love as their master did during his lifetime.

11. Poesy

June 7, 2017 at 10:37 am

To be honest, my first reaction was to clutch my heart and exclaim, “What? You exchanged a life for a piece of metal!” But as someone who has made mistakes that have led to bigger mistakes and dire consequences, hmmm, I don’t know, man. People go through a lot. I salute Ms Richards-Ross for speaking out. It couldn’t have been easy keeping this a secret. May we all find perfect peace.

• Leobaby

June 7, 2017 at 3:26 pm

But she claims she did it because of ‘fear’ of judgements. Doesn’t admit it was for the gold or bronze or whatever medal

12. FifiLa

June 7, 2017 at 11:30 am

Some of your siblings and best friends have gone through such. The reason why they won’t confide in you lot is because of the venom YOU spit through your so called holy tongues.

It’s another reason why you cry yourselves to sleep at night….you have no-one to turn to because of your daily displays of self-righteousness.
    The sad thing about Christianity is the high number of unqualified spokespeople who make it their mission to judge others whilst forgetting their numerous sins.
    Tell us your sins and lets see if you can handle the venom that comes your way!

• pharm

June 8, 2017 at 1:42 am

You need to chill, you’ve clearly done something you were judged for in the past. Let judginas judge

13. Daphne_647

June 7, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Can people separate judging and Christianity?
    Even you want to separate religion and abortion and use logic, abortion is still wrong.
    Think of it this way, in the U.k, a Peron can go to jail for animal cruelty. It is believed that animals are defenceless and therefore should be protected.
    And now, we are talking about killing a human being and you say we are passing judgement.
    The problem with society is that we don’t know how to prosecute crimes against oneself (abortion, drug addiction etc)
    Btw, if you know you can’t take care of a child, give them to me.
    I believe God gave each child a purpose

14. get your eye test done today

June 8, 2017 at 12:26 am

“What will my God think”? This is ONLY important question!