Career

Oreoluwa’s Maid For Me: 7 Signs You Might Need A Professional Maid

I have realized over time that the breaking points of maid employers differ from home to home. While some can’t stand someone who lies at all, another can manage a lying person… as long as she is hardworking. It’s perfectly okay to choose to be patient with your maid; however, many employers don’t seem to know when there isn’t any more hope that their maid will get better. Whatever your breaking point may be, there should be a standard limit to which you decide to continue to stick with a method, or relationship that isn’t working. If you continue to try the same thing and you haven’t noticed any change, then you should try something else.

Some people find it hard to see reasons why they should try someone else. So, I’ll shed some light on 7 signs that indicate you may need to change the kind of maids you’ve been hiring, to an educated or more professional help.

You have gone through more than three maids in a year
This could be due to any reason; either because your maids are running away, or you are firing them. Firstly, it’s not healthy to have that many strangers into your home. Secondly, the mental and emotional stress that comes with the sudden absence and the process of hiring another person is not something you should be putting yourself through. Thirdly, turnover is expensive; it’s best to take the time to hire the right people in the first place. It may be time to opt for stability by hiring someone who understands professionalism and will most likely be bound by a contract.

You are more worried now than before you hired your maid
When your maid is becoming a frequent prayer point, not because you have decided to bless her, but out of fear of what she might and can do, it may be time to go professional. Hiring a professional gives you the assurance of being able to trace and hold someone responsible if something goes wrong. You shouldn’t have to live in constant fear over what you have control over.

There’s no difference between your life now that you have a maid and before you did
If you have to do your chores all over again because your maid did not do it well, you still have reason to complain over certain things your maid should be handling, rather than consistently shouting or beating her (which is totally wrong), save yourself the stress and hire a well trained maid.

The money you’re spending is not commensurate to the value you are getting
Like I stated in my last article here, your maid is not supposed to be an inheritance that you have to keep by all means. You buy clothes, shoes, send to school, feed and so on. If you must spend that money on hired help, why not get someone who will give you commensurate value. And if by any means that person costs even a bit more, you are assured of getting excellent results.

It’s becoming a family affair
You know that phone call that comes in with the voice on the other end sounding sober “Madam, Mary’s uncle died, please she needs to attend the burial, she will come back after one week”. “Madam, please let Bisi come home for Christmas” (even when she just resumed in November). You can serve a warning first, but if it is unending or crosses the line, then it’s time to do the needful. An employer told me her maid’s family was calling her husband behind her, to get a job for the maid’s brother. What a wawu!

You cannot try to communicate without feeling frustrated
When your instructions are not properly understood, your home is endangered. How frustrating can it be, to be limited by someone else’s thinking? So one day, you say “put baby’s food in the fridge” and she hears/understands only baby and fridge and puts the baby in the fridge (Nollywood movie scene) *insert frustrated smiley*.
How about if there is an emergency and this person cannot communicate properly what exactly is going on? You seriously deserve better.

Your maid is covetous
Someone who persistently has an eye for everything you have. She wants to drink your juice, eat the same number of meat, wear your shoes and your clothes. Asks you for the best of your things..”Madam, that cloth you wore yesterday, when you are not wearing it again, give me”. The key word here is persistently. It’s okay if you decide to correct and put her in her place once in a while, but some maids are relentless. This kind of person will never find what you give her to be enough.

After maid disasters happen, we discover that the signs were always there, but we decided to still keep going. Deciding to keep an incompetent maid is a choice. Choosing to fire an incompetent maid and hiring someone else who is no different is also a choice. To end recurrent maid disasters, we should look to stepping out of the norm which thus far, has not proven to be effective. There are a lot of educated and more professional people who are willing. The market is also ready. I’m only still trying to understand where the fear of bringing these class of people into our homes come from.

Photo Credit: Omur12 | Dreamstime.com

Oreoluwa Sonola is a Household Manager. She ensures the systems in homes run smoothly with little or no supervision from the homeowners. She creates management and training resources, procedural manuals, work schedules and SOPs for Domestic staff within the home and chore schedules for kids where the domestic staff is absent. Some of her resources can be found on her website www.maidformee.com  and Instagram and twitter @maidformee.

1. Frank teacher

June 28, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Everything na work nah oh
    Maidwhisperer?

2. Maria

June 28, 2017 at 4:29 pm

“” She wants to drink your juice, eat the same number of meat,….”
    i did not understand this especially the juice part is it that she wants to drink the same juice you are drinking at the same time from your glass or you are talking about “”special”” juice that the maid is not allowed to drink…as for the meat part that i find even stranger so she is good enough to take care of your home and kids but not good enough to have similar portion of meat as everyone else in the family?

• Yellow sun

June 28, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Stop been funny…shes already getting paid..one meat per meal is ideal…whilst growing up we had one meat per meal.. I myself still have one meat per meal…so why will my staff want to have 3 per meal
      Let’s be practical abeg

• Are you having a laugh

June 28, 2017 at 6:44 pm

You clearly don’t have ‘help’ because if you did you wouldn’t have asked that question… Your comment sounds like you are trying to be politically correct but what a ‘burst’… No!!! My maid is not allowed to drink my juice or finish the meat in my pot of stew because she takes care of my kids. I’m sure you work for someone and I don’t think you go into your bosses office and help yourself to stuff. When i go shopping for the month, I buy all they need for the month juice and meat inclusive. So it’s up to them to make it last a month or a day (their choice). Taking care of one’s kids gives no one the liberty to act as they wish

FYI*** My helps stay with us for yonks…

• Amaka

June 28, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Covetousness is a spirit. When you go to visit your uncle, must you have the number of clothes his wife has. Some maids do not have boundaries. Yes, good home training tells you not to put two pieces of meat in your plate just because you saw your uncle put it. Very soon, that maid will confidently sleep on your bed and you will start looking for a room to sleep in. I also expect professional agents to do a blood test. I want to know a person’s hiv status before I hire them. I don’t care how hardworking the maid is.

3. Onye

June 28, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Maids and nannies are different things o! A maid cleans your home and a nanny looks after the kids. I don’t know why a maid needs to live in your own home?

• Anne

June 28, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Exactly. That is how my uncouth rascally maid took the juice I offered a male Caucasian guest. I was so annoyed at the display of her lack of common sense. How do you share juice with a guest. I couldn’t even do that myself. If children have boundaries, why shouldn’t a worker have boundaries. The fact that she lives in your home does not mean she is not an employee. You cannot drink my juice or finish my meat. I will not be your slave because you take care of my children but I will treat you right because there is a God watching in heaven. We are not friends, you work under my roof. Thanks for understanding your role.

4. Maria

June 29, 2017 at 2:09 pm

@Yellow sun @Amaka and @areyouhaving laugh I feel so sorry for your maids if you truly have them. If I am having one piece of meat you best believe my maid is having one piece of meat too. If I am having half a chicken you bet believe she would have a half chicken as well unless she chooses not to. I cant believe people can be so stingy on food, lol food that you will eat and shit the next day hahaha I am so sorry for all your maids if you have them. I asked specifically about the juice and meat part because I do not understand why someone would think so low of someone that they entrust the care of their children to as to deny them the same rights as the rest of the house to something as basic as equal food portions. Clothes etc that is a whole different ball game but food are you guys being serious right now. I bet you all are the ones who make your maids eat in the kitchen from a separate menu from the rest of the family. I just hope they are not spitting in y’alls food or adding urine and God knows what else before serving you guys thanks to your meanness with food

• Are you having a laugh

June 29, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Maria… Good luck with feeding your help half a chicken per meal… having rules/boundaries doesn’t make you mean.. every one should have boundaries maids inclusive.

When you grow up and start having help, please feel free to feed them with all the money in your account, in fact you can get a loan to make sure they can have a full chicken per meal…

FYI*** my maids are reasonable people so I can assure you there’s no food contamination (spit/urine) going on in my house…