News

Read Chude Jideonwo’s Rare Encounter at 2AM in Surulere, Lagos

Co-founder of RED Group Chude Jideonwo took to hus Instagram page Monday to share an encounter he had in the Surulere area of Lagos at 2AM, with two people he had never met before.

Read what he wrote below:

So, my car went into a huge pot-hole at about 2am today, on my way from Akpororo’s excellent show. And then three of my tyres – THREE – went kaput. Kaput. Metal on road. I kept driving for about 5 minutes until I found a well lit place to park. I came out with my ipad and my phone, and then a guy – he later told me his name is Fatai – emerged from under the Empire bus stop bridge and asked what was wrong. The to-the-point cliche about the exact kind of person you should run away from when you’re stuck on the road at 2am – no one else with you, or around.

I explained, and told him I was going to get help. I already resigned myself to being ‘obtained’ on some level. But then he said, it’s okay, he would stand watch over the car from me. He would keep it safe while I found a solution. And he did.

As did the taxi driver who helped me go round finding spare tyres all around Surulere. Both of them became my guardian angels, telling me what to do, helping me change my tyres, assuring me I’d be fine.

It still makes no sense to me, you know? It would have been more rewarding for Fatai to take my phone, my iPad or something from the car. What possesses a man who has no home, and hangs around bridges at night and even has no phone l to choose empathy / even if in hope of a tip / over easy theft? To commit to helping a stranger in the middle of the night, and to keep his word? I am glad for the burst tyres. I seriously am.

Any experience that refreshes my faith in the human spirit is a gift. /// Including my team members – three of them – who insisted on coming out at 3am to help. Thank you, Jesus for sending me angels. I live for moments like this!

1. The Real Oma

June 26, 2017 at 11:08 am

This warms my heart. Humanity is inherently good

• Wale Vintage

June 27, 2017 at 1:14 am

Fine, but did Chude give back in kind. Get the guys details and try to contribute to his life as well. There is a reason God puts us in situations like that…he should try to visit the guy once in while and get to know him. He should study him and get his own story too…for all we know the man might be educated and perhaps ran out of luck. An honest man like that could be a security guard. That should be the beginning of the story, not the end. I remember a few years ago here in the States when a man with the ideal “commercial voice” was discovered and just one person took pity on him, listened to his story and when on tv to promote him,now the once homeless man is now one of the country’s top earning voice over actor. His voice is the voice of the mac and cheese commercial on tv here and many others. He cleaned up fast. I believe this was not a coincidence. Follow up.

2. Critique

June 26, 2017 at 11:17 am

Beautiful. God still reigns

3. Kayla

June 26, 2017 at 11:21 am

Stories like this makes we remember the word HOPE

4. Ify

June 26, 2017 at 11:22 am

Glad to know we still have the likes of Fatai out there??

5. jinkelele

June 26, 2017 at 11:26 am

Now here is something to to tap into.
    Jesus be praised

6. gemonyi

June 26, 2017 at 11:29 am

It is honestly easier to do good. This definitely touched my heart.

7. Munachimso

June 26, 2017 at 11:45 am

This is just heartwarming, I wasn’t expecting it to end this way, when I saw 2am plus bursted tyres.. Really there is still some good in world and good humans too..

If you can’t find one, just be one!

• Nikky

June 26, 2017 at 11:59 am

Muna, loving your comment dear

• unadite

June 26, 2017 at 2:45 pm

“if you can’t find one,just be one” This line touched me heavily. Thank you muna

8. Jane

June 26, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Lately we’ve read only bad news, This is refreshing. There are still a lot of people with good hearts in this country. Am so glad

9. californiabawlar

June 26, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Obligatory but sincere: wow! great and heartwarming story! May God always bring help our way when we need it!

Now to the meat of the matter.

**In Rita Edochie’s voice**

But Chukwudebe my son, what were you too doing out at 2am in the morning? Chude, Chude, Chudeee!! Hmn Hmn.

• Image

June 26, 2017 at 12:45 pm

@ Caltforniabawlar can’t u read? He was coming frm a show. Duh!

10. Lateefah

June 26, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Wow! Refreshingly different… Thank God there are still some Fatais in the world. God bless him

11. Mummybobo

June 26, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Bia didn’t you read whr he said he was coming from akpororo’s show hian

12. Fabulous

June 26, 2017 at 1:14 pm

This is so nice. I never expected the story to end this way. There’s still hope for Nigeria.

13. Nkem

June 26, 2017 at 1:28 pm

It can’t all be bad. Touched.

14. Josephine

June 26, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Thank God for good people.

15. Laberry

June 26, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Faith in humanity restored…

16. C

June 26, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Trust me I’ve been poor a long time lol broke people more generous and communal. If water turns off or light cuts off and neighbor has light or water they just pass a plug or let us fetch from their tap. We know the struggle. Rich folks don’t know they neighbors or even have neighbors to know/help in their big isolated villas they can’t love/trust thy neighbor when they ain’t even got one or know their names.

17. Simplymeana

June 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I’m so delighted for u chude not only bcos u weren’t robbed or maimed but bcos one of d person who helped u bears a Muslim name, he might /might not be a Muslim but atleast som ppl can see that being Muslim or not doesn’t define ur personality ,our u can’t find one just be one

• aurvivor

June 26, 2017 at 5:43 pm

18. survivor

June 26, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I was scared reading the story….I remember one day we were in a bus,,,wen we got to Berger the Alfa told 2 petty thieves collected his money in the night, they pushed him down the begger bridge,that it was in the morning he became councious.
    Then my other neighbour that bridge before Ibafor while going to office around 5a.m his car was faulty,he was trying to change the tyre wen some boys came out from bush with cutlass,that God his younger brother sight them immediately they came out of the bush..#Narunning things

19. aurvivor

June 26, 2017 at 5:46 pm

@simply,Being a Christian or Muslim does not make not to steal sometimes its the moral,and your upbringing

Comment awaiting moderation

• Simplymeana

June 27, 2017 at 5:09 pm

My point exactly at those who say Islam isn’t a peaceful religion becos of some rogues that chose to do evil

20. Nurumba

June 26, 2017 at 6:06 pm

I went to a party once and was stranded around ikeja mall. I approached a lot of ppl coming out from the mall. No one helped me. Maybe because I was dressed in a fine party clothing….I don’t know. Suddenly a young man came to me and was marketing his CDs, he wanted me to buy. I just told him that I’m stranded here too. That was the guy that helped me. Out of his small earnings. I was soo touched. When you are kind, ppl will be kind to you too.

21. Uju Lilian Ikegbune

June 26, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Thank God, our humanity hasn’t been stifled by the harsh economy. Good people still exist.

22. Sherlie Holmes

June 26, 2017 at 8:01 pm

God Bless Fatai. May he find favor, goodness, mercy and blessings everywhere he goes. Amen

23. ize

June 26, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Serious, I read your post and was thinking it will end with you going back to that bridge during the day, or on another day to look for the helper and tell him thank you. Sometimes little things we do go a long way to put a smile in the heart of a needy one . He could easily have stolen your iPad ND phone. God bless his soul he turned out to be a helper. I believe helper who also needs help deserves to be thanked appropriately

24. Innenane

June 26, 2017 at 9:57 pm

God is so good to you bro. Keep praising Him.

25. G

June 27, 2017 at 9:46 am

@Chude Jideonwo I smiled as I read your story. I have had a similar experience as yours but not in Nigeria :). I think you’re a secret giver and a man that probably takes steps of faith to reach out to strangers and help them. These are my assumptions.

26. abby

June 28, 2017 at 10:43 am

To everyone wondering if chude gave anything back..he probably did..u don’t always have to announce what good u do u know

27. iJo

June 28, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Thank God for the Fatais left in the world. God bless him and the taxi driver. On the flip side, I now appreciate why my dad insisted I must know how to change my tyres before learning how to drive. RIP papa