Relationships

Stephanie Coker dishes on how she met her Husband, her White Wedding Plans & More in SCHICK Magazine

BellaNaija.com

Set to tie the knot this summer, Stephanie Coker, reveals more about her beau, wedding plans, ‘The Future Is Her’ and more in SCHICK Magazine’s debut issue.

Read excerpts below.

On her Beau: He’s a property developer and we dated for three years before getting engaged. He saw me sitting alone while waiting to meet with someone who never showed up, so he sent a waitress over to ask if I wanted anything to eat. I declined because I was there to work and I just wanted to have my meeting. The waitress cheekily suggested I should accept his offer, so I ended up getting takeaway and giving him my business card. He gave me a call and the rest is history (by the way, when he tells this story, he says I was staring at him – I wasn’t!).

On her Wedding Style: I’m a tomboy by nature but I don’t think that style will feature in my wedding because I won’t be
 able to wear my sneakers! It’s the only day you get to be
a princess; the only time you will have that excuse, so I’m going
 to enjoy it. I like embellishment, but for my wedding, I want something clean and easy-on-the-eye that stills makes a statement; a dress that is classy and elegant.

On The Future Is Her: I started ‘The Future Is Her’ towards the end of 2016. The idea behind it, is to use my platform to help talented, young women in Nigeria go up the career ladder. Fame is great, money is great, but there is no point to it all, if you’re not making an impact in people’s
lives.

Credits:

Photography by: Sunmisola Olorunnisola

Make-up by: Zaron Cosmetics

1. Liz

June 17, 2017 at 12:20 am

With all of her experience and hustle in Lagos. How she met her husband is what they focus on? Then we cry wolf and wonder why our young women are obsessed with marriage and the come save me syndrom. This magazine is owned by a woman. So, where is the change we want to see if we have these platforms and refuse to create modern conversation the right way.

Stephanie is one of the hardest working presenters in the game. This babe hustled die for her first year in Lagos. she did so many free jobs
    Before she got her break. She is such an amazing example to other young women but these are the lane questions they churn out. It’s either were not really interested in the achievements of these so called celebrities that’s why we only care about their marital status.

• Osa

June 17, 2017 at 8:01 am

@Liz, well said!????

• Bruness

June 18, 2017 at 1:49 pm

wish I could love ur comment a 100 times

• Debbie

June 19, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Wow. Spot on Liz

• Sugamama

June 19, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Liz, this was an excerpt and not the whole interview. Read the whole interview before you rant.
      Also, one of the upcoming milestones in Stephanie’s life is her wedding. It is inevitable to talk about. She also may not have given many interviews talking about her relationship, so abeg chill. Not everything is fight. How she met her husband ONE question of many. Come back and comment after you’ve read the full interview.

• Juliana Kusi

June 26, 2017 at 3:17 pm

We have a serious problem in Nigeria regarding young girls’ attitude towards marriage, yes but to say one should not speak about the different milestones in a person’s life (marriage being one, if it happens) because of how it affects others is not the answer to the problem. People with careers (including celebrities, Amal Clooney, Chrissy Teigen etc) get married around the world everyday and they are celebrated for that, amongst their other life moments as they come – career highs included. Saying her career should be spoken about instead of her marital status is choosing one over the other to appease you and other women like you, which is moving towards the other side of extreme – career only and that is not necessarily the answer to the underlying issue. It would be more appropriate to say young girls should aim to find a middle ground showing balance (whatever that looks like to us) and throw the frustrations out the window. It’s only in Nigeria that we severely suffer from a ‘lack-of’ syndrome that causes us to feel we ‘lack’ in areas. This ‘lack of’ makes us see things differently to the masses. Not everyone is going to get married, not everyone is going to work for a Fortune 500 company, or better still, own one and that is OK. But to let the ‘lack of’ take charge of our emotions and make them so sensitized that we now feel love & marriage shouldn’t be spoken of, is not entirely correct. It’s all from within (and that’s the part we don’t talk about).

2. Sengemenge

June 17, 2017 at 7:43 am

She’s never given me “Tomboy” vibes though. Okay..maybe ones in a while. She’s mostly always in elegant girly outfits.

3. Chic

June 17, 2017 at 9:52 am

I love Stephanie..she’s classy.

4. Siri

June 21, 2017 at 5:14 pm

yea she is classy and a good person. boo come and meet me na? #winks