Scoop

#CNNAfricanVoices: Kemi Adetiba is giving herself 2 to 5 Years to Win an Oscar & We are Here for It!

BellaNaija.com

Filmmaker Kemi Adetiba‘s chat with CNN’s “African Voices” is inspiring us to always put forward our best efforts in all we do. According to the director, she knew that the highly praised “The Wedding Party” movie was going to be a success because of her approach towards making the movie which was that:

The greatest thing you can do for yourself is every time you have the opportunity to handle someone’s project, knock it out the park, and that is what I live by every day.

On this week’s episode of CNN’s “African Voices”, Kemi Adetiba talks about her career, her next moves and why the series “King Women” is so important to her.

Explaining why she originally moved behind the camera, Kemi Adetiba tells CNN: “I was questioning my longevity in front of the camera… I’d also find it intriguing when I would go off for shoots with the cameramen… I said: ‘Instead of just wasting a couple of years, how about I learn a new craft while I’m doing that? What is the thing that I want to learn now? What is the thing that will take my career to the next level? – being a director.’”

Explaining to CNN why she launched the “King Women” project, Kemi says: “The reason why I developed King Women is because I wanted women to see these role models of the earth, these women that we draw inspiration from that we put on pedestals, I wanted them to see them in their glory, but also understand that they have also gone through life, and life for them was not easy… People need to hear these stories, and I’m so grateful to everyone who gave me their time to make this series.”

Looking to the future and her upcoming projects, Kemi explains that she still has her eyes set on international success, telling African Voices: “I honestly do believe that winning an Oscar is going to come very soon, I’ve given myself two to five years.”

1. Nee

August 3, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Delusional.

2. Nene

August 3, 2017 at 11:29 pm

It’s good to dream. I’m hoping she has a strategy to achieve her dreams. Her directing of the wedding party was a let down unfortunately but it was her first movie so she can be forgiven.

• Bolaji

August 4, 2017 at 12:26 am

One person’s delusional is another person’s optimism. She has a right to dream and aspire. And frankly, I am not sure that she can be blamed for The Wedding Party. She was a director in name but how much creative control did she have? Keep going Kem. Challenge yourself and improve with each step you take.

3. Shola Omoboni

August 4, 2017 at 12:18 am

Please someone help me ask @Nee & @Nene if the two of them have EVER been interviewed by CNN African Voices before or if to date they have any film releases to their name? Why so bitter? Learn to celebrate others if you want to be celebrated yourself someday. Remember the law of ‘what you sow is what you reap’. If you don’t have anything better to say, please exercise wisdom and just hold your peace before you use your negative comments to destroy your life.

• Nee

August 4, 2017 at 10:23 am

I haven’t. And I still think she’s delusional.

4. Weezy

August 4, 2017 at 12:37 am

If she seriously, as in seriously ups her game, then she might have a shot. The truth is Nigerians reward mediocrity by praising Effort and Popularity over Craft. She’d have to drown out the praise of her typical audience and not do movies that are “crowd pleasers” and instead really deliver world class scripting and acting. This is unlikely to happen as the popularity and praise is very sweet for most Nollywood directors.

Anyone that thinks I’m a hater should go and watch a couple of the movies that have won Oscars for best foreign film, which is her category.

• Corolla

August 4, 2017 at 12:56 am

Thank you Weezy! Well said.

• Eric

August 4, 2017 at 9:08 am

@Weezy, I agree with you in totality. The Irony is, the reason she’s the rave of the moment is because of the points you stated in your comment. Until hype and praising effort is eliminated, we won’t get to appreciate craft.

I don’t know why “He/She tried” is a mark for effort. Why can’t it be “He/She did an excellent job”. If only the amount of time you give to “trying” was applied to “doing a damn good job” a lot of things would change in this country.

5. Wendy

August 4, 2017 at 1:35 am

I sincerely hope she is able to do that, but please she must not base it on the film “The Wedding Party”. So many people recommended that we watch it only to be sorely disappointed with the quality of the story and acting.. My husband couldn’t stand it for more than 10 mins, and he only stayed that long because he’s a big fan of Sola Shobowale. I had to beg him to endure another 5 mins. After my husband left me in the sitting room to watch it.. I could only endure 10 more mins. I truly wanted to like it, because it’s Nigerian and I haven’t seen a Nigerian movie in almost 8 years. But honestly, I haven’t been able to go back to it, and it’s unlikely I would. I just kept wondering if our standards have fallen so low for friend and family, based in Nigeria, to give it such a glowing review and recommend it as a movie we must see. We have a long way to go. I hope she gets to listen to the critic and follow black female directors like Ava DuVernay, study her works like Selma, 13th and Queen sugar and even see if she can mentor under her. I wish her luck.

6. sika

August 4, 2017 at 1:44 am

I agree with previous comments. Kemi is more hype than talent. thats the truth, i think she is also delusional. because there arent may women directing doesnt make you outstanding – i find her mediocre tbh. I didnt think king woman was that sort of thing. (i liked chigurls one though). anyway people will most likely call me a hater. Bellanaija wont post this im sure. I have seen better nigerian directors or producers that arent as popular -Wana udobang is one example with her sicke cell series. Anyways let me stop before they come for me.

7. tunmi

August 4, 2017 at 2:01 am

I think she has a shot!

8. Kayla

August 4, 2017 at 4:48 am

@sika you didn’t think kingwoman was that sort of thing. That’s what happens when u sit idle doing nothing u lack creativity and when u see others make an effort, u sit on ur bed with ur tecno phone and type this. Smh

• Maybe not

August 4, 2017 at 6:04 am

Calm down not everyone is a hater.

I sent Kemi Adetiba’s team a brief for a corporate TVC over 2 months ago and after a few conversations with them and a promise from them to respond, I haven’t gotten a feedback. My coy is a multinational and wanted to shoot abroad but I insisted on Kemi cos I wanted a Nigerian. Now the babe fell my hand

• akama

August 4, 2017 at 8:43 am

@Kayla Na wa for this your comment.

9. Temi

August 4, 2017 at 6:54 am

Abeg…..let’s clean up first. Wedding party was more hype than spectacular

• Babe

August 4, 2017 at 9:30 am

Wedding party was such such a let down! I remember tweeting at her and asking her to not believe the hype. My tweet was never retweeted haha! As expected.

10. Bowl

August 4, 2017 at 7:10 am

But Kemi, I believe you. I am afraid of the energy ( aura is weak word ) around you.
    More grace

• Babe

August 4, 2017 at 9:31 am

Very afraid

11. Bukie

August 4, 2017 at 9:12 am

At first, I am tempted to beef her, like seriously do you know what it means to win an OSCAR, but again, who beefing epp?? Now, i am rooting for her! go Kemi! Nothing is impossible, everything is achievable!

12. TEE

August 4, 2017 at 11:47 am

Calm down people. It is not wrong to dream Big. That’s her goal not yours, her dream not yours, her desire not yours. Y’all shouldn’t judge her because of her past. like someone said, you don’t know how much ‘free hand ‘ she was given or NOT given while directing wedding party. You also don’t know the steps, decision, personal improvement among other things she’s is doing to hone her skills so that that dream will become reality.
    Kemi Adetiba I wish you success.

13. TEE

August 4, 2017 at 11:49 am

forgive the typos

14. Sunshiney

August 4, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Many times winning an Oscar is partially based on politics. I think she has a great dream but the movie has to be a hell of a lot better than The Wedding Party. It was a ok fluff film but the acting was meh… still fun though!!! Wishing Kemi all the best…

15. June

August 4, 2017 at 12:57 pm

All the best to her in her future endeavors, she has to improve. The wedding party was a huge disappointment. These days lots of people tend to over hype things and give “politically correct ” opinions that are in line with one movement or the next. Like that Wonder Woman movie.

16. Wendy

August 4, 2017 at 2:01 pm

I sincerely hope she is able to do that, but please she must not base it on the film “The Wedding Party”. So many people recommended that we watch it only to be sorely disappointed with the quality of the story and acting.. My husband couldn’t stand it for more than 10 mins, and he only stayed that long because he’s a big fan of Sola Shobowale. I had to beg him to endure another 5 mins. After my husband left me in the sitting room to watch it.. I could only endure 10 more mins. I truly wanted to like it, because it’s Nigerian and I haven’t seen a Nigerian movie in almost 8 years. But honestly, I haven’t been able to go back to it, and it’s unlikely I would. I just kept wondering if our standards have fallen so low for friend and family, based in Nigeria, to give it such a glowing review and recommend it as a movie we must see. We have a long way to go. I hope she gets to listen to the critic and follow black female directors like Ava DuVernay, study her works like Selma, 13th and Queen sugar and even seek mentoring under her. I wish her luck.

17. @ Maybe Not

August 4, 2017 at 3:21 pm

You can try Ark Resources Entertainment. They are a reputable film production company. They’ve done jobs for Etisalat, Payporte, and a lot of big companies in Nigeria too. I used to work there 🙂

• bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 7:43 am

Yet you are still plugging them? They must have been good to you 🙂

18. ch

August 4, 2017 at 3:40 pm

I liked The wedding party, yes it was a ‘feel good’ movie but it was shot well IMO.

I also think she needs to take the advice above that says she should watch foreign movies that have won oscars, they are not usually ‘feel good’ movies.

19. zzzzzzzzzzz

August 4, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Why is everyone saying the wedding party was a huge disappointment? It wasn’t top notch but it was very okay at least I didn’t get bored. She only needs to hone her skills that is all. Please necourage the lady

• bolaji

August 5, 2017 at 7:57 am

The script was poor and a badly written story can never be disguised with elaborate camera work and ‘stars.’ Show me the Nigerian filmmaker who has delivered a world class script. Even Andrew Dosunmu whose work has traveled has really bad scripts. Maybe B for Boy and Flower Girl came close but Michelle Bello and Chika Anadu are not actively making films.. Ije was about the actors. I saw Green White Green at AFRIFF. Not perfect but the filmmaker has potential. Again I have not heard much from that filmmaker. Nollywood people make a lot of noise but the work does not live up.