News

CNN’s Symone Sanders calls out Politician who told her to ‘Shut Up’ On Live TV

BellaNaija.com

Activist Symone Sanders got into a heated discussion on yesterday morning’s episode of CNN‘s New Day.

According to CNN, the network invited former Bernie Sanders spokeswoman Symone Sanders and former Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli following the white supremacist-led rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.  Things got very heated when Cuccinelli told Sanders to “shut up” about a minute into the show.

Symone was silent while he spoke but when she chimed in at some point, he replied,

Can I finish, Symone? Can you just shut up for a moment?

And the outspoken former press secretary wasn’t going to take that. She then retorted

Under no circumstances do you get to speak to me in that manner, You should exhibit some decorum. And understand that you were trying to defend and excuse white supremacy on this program. And under no circumstances will I sit by while that happens. So you can shut up

After the show, Symone Sanders took to Twitter to share her distaste for what had happened

CNN also shared the video of the interview

Watch

1. Shao

August 15, 2017 at 4:25 am

But she was talking a lot though, not allowing him pass his own point across. ???. I would have told her to shut up too. Jeeeeez!

The reason they think black women are loud ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• dust

August 15, 2017 at 5:51 am

don’t be deceived, 95% of things on t.v is an act.. at least 90% of the black americans that appear on american media have this particular attitude… its most likely an act or impression to get viewers to believe this is how black people worldwide behave..

• Shao

August 15, 2017 at 6:13 am

Then don’t make it easy for them

• Jessica

August 15, 2017 at 1:48 pm

He interrupted her and the news anchor several times too. So, why should she shut up?

2. Le coco

August 15, 2017 at 6:26 am

Abeg who os saying she was talking to much!it easy her turn to speak! he interrupted her . She didn’t tell him to shut up.. but when she interrupts him he tells her to shut up? pls that’s trash! people get interrupted on air all the time.. its not right but it’s also not new!

let’s not make excuses for this trashy behaviour.. If this was a man he wldnt hv been told to shut up!

• Chi

August 15, 2017 at 8:26 am

Shut up

3. Vernell Sexton

August 15, 2017 at 7:14 am

Black people are loud and I loved it. . I been to Nigeria and people there are very loud when they express themselves. Try talking soft and low in Lagos and tell me how far did you get when buying food stuff.

• Smackdown

August 15, 2017 at 7:31 am

Pele……..how long have you been smoking crack?

4. ec

August 15, 2017 at 7:35 am

She is clearly heated.
    There was no need to tell her to shut up. WTF

5. Tutu

August 15, 2017 at 7:44 am

WHen BN said she was quiet and when she chimed in, he said she should shut up. I thought she was like mute! This babe was just yapping away not letting this guy talk. The guy in the middle had to intervene and when he started talking again, she “chimed in”. I think she was unprofessional. She could have passed her point across without being so talkative. The white guy had no right to tell her to shut up but even I could have done that. Let’s not be bias because she’s black. She was wrong too.

6. Chi

August 15, 2017 at 8:24 am

She needed to shut up though

7. mz_danielz

August 15, 2017 at 9:22 am

My take on this is guy shouldn’t have told her to shut up so as to be politically correct but the babe has a lot to learn. She was talking waaaay too much and even if she wasn’t, a diplomatic answer that put him in his place while looking graceful is the way to go. Tweeting about it afterwards, babes, abeg.

In this era of be yourself, be real, bla bla bla, lots of people are just exhibiting unruly behavior because they believe they can talk. They don’t know how much things like this hinder them. This babe won’t be in a meeting where it’s decided that she can’t be given a position because ‘she’s too emotional, flies by the seat of her pants, is too sensitive and reactive ….. etc’ besides, she is just helping to confirm the stereotype of the angry, black female and that won’t take her anywhere.

Blacks should go and watch Obama’s debate with Hillary during the first election and see where pragmatism can get you. In fact, it was watching Obama handle some comments thrown at him with wisdom and grace that started my journey from the loud mouthed, always speak my mind anyhow, won’t take nonsense bla bla bla person that I was to the emotionally intelligent person that I am today; and guys it was a loooooooooong journey. Tact, diplomacy and wisdom are essential in life.

To be angry is easy but to be angry at the right time is the task. Wisdom is profitable to direct.

• ***

August 15, 2017 at 10:47 am

Mz_danielz I learn a lot from you all the time… your logic is always almost perfect and applicable… plus I agree with you on being tactful and containing emotions…whenever I need advice or morale uplifting I’m contacting you…lol

8. Baby gurl

August 15, 2017 at 9:56 am

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Even if she was talking when it was “supposed to be his time to talk”, he should have done wiser than to tell her to shut up. Guys c’mon, on live TV? On a segment on the very current issue of white supremacist attacks? Haba jama. Wisdom is a virtue, a very scarce one at that. I love her tho. I’m always bias towards black women that are not afraid to call out BS. I just gave a wry sly smile as I watched her response again. LOL. *I’m so evil hehe*.

9. Ezinne

August 15, 2017 at 10:19 am

Let’s be honest, people talk over themselves all the time- ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME.. I do opine that Symone could have just let him talk!!! But they were both wrong, he wasn’t supposed to tell her to shut up, he should have asked the moderator to have her shut up. The only reason why this is news is because- Black woman, white man. It happens everyday biko,

10. Nene

August 15, 2017 at 1:16 pm

He was very wrong to tell her to shut up. She is not the first person to talk over another on tv.

11. Mz_Danielz

August 15, 2017 at 8:42 pm

@*** thanks a lot. I’m really flattered and humbled.

12. OA

August 16, 2017 at 2:12 am

What is wrong is wrong. A white man telling a black woman to shut up on national TV particularly over an issue such as this was wrong on all angles! Not saying it would have been okay if they were discussing Jack and Jill. THat is what we are saying. Everyone is just pretending. I’m adopting the “cynical” approach from now on! I don’t trust a lot of these folks! Which kain discourse will cause me to tell someone else to shut up on TV! Mo ku oh!

13. aj

August 16, 2017 at 4:46 am

lol akata woman fun ara re. I trust them…dey no dey collect rubbish from oyinbo people. I like you jare Symone!