News

Woman writes glowing Tribute to Domestic Staff turned Legal Daughter as she gets Married | Photos

Facebook user Ada Ujaligwa shared a lovely tribute to her former domestic staff Ngozi, who later became her legal daughter.

Ada shared the story alongside photos from Ngozi’s wedding on August 5, 2017.

On the 5th of August 2017, my legally adopted daughter Ngozi Udenwa got married to the man who was specially handpicked for her by God himself….. A wonderful young man I must say.

Some of you already know a bit about how she became my daughter but the majority of you have no idea and I wish to share the amazing story of our journey together as mother and daughter…..

In the year 2000, barely 2 months after I gave birth to my first child, by sheer happenstance I got a second househelp….. My first househelp had gone home to see her family briefly and I needed someone to cover for her until she returned….. My parents got me the second househelp to help me with my new baby so I could face my studies squarely, seeing that I was a 5th year medical student at the time. That second househelp was Ngozi Udenwa my daughter….. She was only to stay with me for a short while, just a few days but she ended up staying with me until the 5th of August 2017….. More than 17yrs in total!!!

Bride Ngozi & her husband and Ada & husband

When she came into my care, she was a lovely, humble, lowly, young innocent beautiful girl whose only ambition in life was to be sent to school….. She had completed primary school but was yet to commence secondary school….. She was very passionate about going to secondary school at all cost, and I assured her that not only would she go to secondary school, she would also go to the University and be a huge success under the care of my husband and I….. To the glory of God’s mighty name Amen ?

And so our journey started….. I quickly observed that she was a very humble, patient and kind hearted person….. Ngozi approached every task you gave her with equanimity…. She was never flustered nor irritated….. She always did her tasks thoroughly and with great conscience ….. She was also particularly honest, trust worthy and hard working, she hardly ever complained about anything and when she did, I always took her seriously, knowing that for her to talk, it must be something of great significance ….. A very mild mannered, meek, respectful, tolerant and peaceful young lady….. She was a pleasure to have in my home….. She treated my children like she was their own mother, she would cry when they were sick, I was amazed at the love she showered on them whether I was around or not, her behaviour towards them was always the same…. She treated them exactly the same in my absence as she did in my presence….. And that was one of the best things about her….. She was always without any form of pretence….. Ngozi did not know and still does not know the meaning of “eye-service”….. With her what you saw was what you got whether she was being watched or not….. The consistency in the goodness she exudes greatly endeared her to my husband, myself and all the members of our families who had the opportunity of dealing with her….

Everyone admired the dedication with which she loved and cared for my children and my home….. She is the kind of person you can leave your kids with and go to Timbuktu and sleep with your 2 eyes closed, confident in the knowledge that your children would be cared for as if you were the one caring for them yourself…. As the kids grew older, they testified to the goodness of Aunty Ngo as they all refer to her …..

My husband and I enrolled her in secondary school as soon as she settled into our home….. And she proved to be an intelligent, ambitious and focused young lady to our collective delight….. She knew what she wanted and she set out to achieve it….. By the time she came to our home, her biological mother was already deceased, a few years into her secondary education, she also lost her biological father….. And became an orphan biologically….. As time went on, we decided to relocate abroad and we decided to legally adopt her and take her with us….. By then she had lived with us for 4 years and we were pretty confident that we were doing the right thing and that with God on our side, neither of us was going to regret the move to make Ngozi our legally adopted daughter, with all the rights and privileges that go with her newly acquired status….. The adoption process was rigorous but we succeeded in the end and we brought her with us to Ireland….. My husband and I promised her that if she remained as loyal, respectful, hardworking and peaceful as she has been, then we will ensure that she becomes a university graduate and an Irish citizen, God willing.

She became a very important member of our family, providing the much needed robust domestic support while she was enrolled into the Irish educational system to work her way into the tertiary institution here….. Through us she became an Irish citizen ????and soon got a good job while she continued to study…..To the glory of God’s mighty name Amen….. And this year she graduated from the University ????….. I am so grateful to God and proud of her for achieving this great feat because I know just how much she wanted this….. And less than a month after she graduated, she got married to her Prince Charming…. ?????…. Talk about everything coming together for good to those who love God, who work according to His purpose…..

Ngozi and her husband

Ngozi could have given us hell in Ireland if she wanted to…. Infact she was advised to do so by some unscrupulous elements when she was about to leave Nigeria with us …. But she CHOSE to give us peace and joy and in return she is reaping peace and joy…. She played a key role in maintaining the stability of my home and now she will enjoy great stability in her own home, as it has pleased God….. We have become so close as mother and daughter that I hardly remember that she was once my househelp….. We have a deeply confiding relationship and my children are as much her children as they are her siblings too….. They love their Aunty Ngo so much and won’t hesitate to fell anyone who stands in the way of her happiness….. They are that protective of her.

It gives us tremendous joy as a family to see her become a success in both her personal and professional lives…… She is both personally, professionally and economically fulfilled…. Chineke daalu ….. My husband and I are so elated that through the grace, mercy and favour of God, we fulfilled our promise to her ….. Our promise to her that she will become successful in all aspects of her life if she remained good has been fulfilled today…. Holy Trinity in one God we bow down and worship you for enabling us to make good on our promise to her after she delivered her own part of the agreement.

Family photo

My family and I travelled en masse to Nigeria this July in order to send her forth, honour her and celebrate with her as she commenced her new life as a married woman…. It is our fervent prayer that God continues to reward her goodness and loyalty to us even as we have tried in our own little way to reward her through the grace, mercy and favour of God Amen ?

From my Househelp ?My legally adopted Daughter?Irish citizen ?Working class girl?Graduate?Beloved wife of a good man….. It took 17 yrs but she’s finally where she truly wants to be……Thank you Jesus….. Amen ? ….. She was patient….. Very patient…. But she now has it all, against all odds….. Chineke daalu ?

Ada and Ngozi

Humility, patience and a great sense of loyalty made her what she is today….. Humility attracted God’s favour into her life, patience helped her wait for the full manifestations of God’s blessings and her loyalty to us was rewarded with our loyalty to her….. Seeing Ngozi go from a lowly impoverished househelp to an economically viable university graduate who is now an Irish citizen and a happily married woman has added more years to my life because of the sense of fulfilment it affords me…… I am indeed deeply gratified…. Chineke daalu ??????

Humility is the mother of all virtues….. If you want to be served….. You must first serve!
….. With patience and humility!!!

Jesus Igweeeeeeeeeeee ???????

Photo Credit: Facebook – Ada Ujaligwa

1. The Real Oma

August 20, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Beautiful. God bless you both.

• ND babe

August 21, 2017 at 4:27 pm

To be sincere, I am happy she did all of this. However, why permanently label her as a househelp online? I have a friend who did the same for her house help. One day she invited me for the girl’s baby shower. The invitation said it was her daughter’s baby shower. I was shocked because I knew she did not have kids old enough to birth a baby. So when I showed up I asked her about it. She explained without using the term house help that the girl was her adopted daughter and she was adopted because at some point she came to assist as a baby sitter. She decided to adopt her because of the bond they forged. Na me come compute for my head say the babe na housegirl. You have adopted her. She is now your daughter. No need relabeling her your househelp.

2. Hmm

August 20, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Suru Lere, Patience is rewarding when the heart is true.

3. Mama

August 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm

This story made me ? cry!!!
    May God bless “Mama Ngozi” and for every Ngozi who served without getting the family in trouble, God will always reward you with more!.
    Very inspiring story!!!

4. Diamond

August 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Wow, so happy for her family. Dr. Ada is such a good writer. I have read her story and their sojourn to Ireland… a story of faith, hardwork and consistency. Congrats Ngozi!

5. Chiomah

August 20, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Beautiful story ! Heart warming and sincere. This reminds me of my Mum and Dads first househelp a man we all call Uncle Till tomorrow. My folks got him gainfully employed and when he got married my folks sponsored it and their friends turned out to support them as they all knew he was a very important member of our family . When good meets good only the best will come out of it! If this lovely girl had served a wicked madam or this lovely Mummy had gotten a horrid help this story would not have a happy ending!

6. Mayan

August 20, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Wow this is a beautiful story.

7. Zee

August 20, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I love this story…….sooo much! May God continual show His love to these ones my second help was a disaster! I frequently gave her holiday to go visit her families only for her to return to my house with a pregnancy! And then lie she was raped in my house! I was sooo devastated!

8. Uche

August 20, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Nigerians treat your househelp with respect and love like this woman did.

99% Nigerians don’t treat their househelp with respect. I love this story

• jones

August 20, 2017 at 10:59 pm

@uche how did you come up with that statistic???

• Manny

August 21, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Anecdotal evidence. Maybe not 99% but definitely >50%.

9. Ijebujesha

August 20, 2017 at 7:26 pm

I just hope and pray that her husband doesn’t spoil her fairytale o. In this Buhari’s recession, my G’s can do anything to have a stake in obodo oyinbo o. May God bless her marriage and continue to bless the wonderful family that God used to elevate her. Humility pays but it’s just not a Nigerian trait.

10. Anne

August 20, 2017 at 8:58 pm

There is a lot to learn. Both parties did well. To God be the glory. Ngozi must be strong at heart. Nigerians in diaspora sometimes influence househelps and once that househelp is ‘mumu’ she won’t wait for her day of joy. A househelp I know said people ask her if she is being treated well. This is what she says in her heart. ‘ if they are not treating me well nko will you let me move into your home. Trust people abroad, housing someone means increase in bill payments. Therefore, treat your househelp well. Househelps, behave well. God will lift you up, it is just a phase and you won’t be one forever. Ngozi did not have to seduce oga. Her own husband was waiting for her. Your story can end well even if you started out as a househelp. God is watching. Ngozi is no more a househelp.

11. OA

August 20, 2017 at 10:03 pm

All I have to say is “To God be all the glory!” I am so happy for mother and daughter!

12. Oma

August 20, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I pray to be able to do this for my help someday and even much more.

13. Hedx

August 21, 2017 at 12:06 am

God bless this family

14. momo

August 21, 2017 at 12:56 am

some domestics are not patient or loyal like this girl..she is a special breed. and so is her mum….some listened to these outsiders referred to in the post..called police for their guardians

• Jane

August 21, 2017 at 7:15 pm

@ Momo. You spoke my mind . Someone in the US employed a househelp in her late 30’s, the girl knew more than her employer, she had friends in other States of the US. At least 3 men dropped her off or picked her. The girl played smart o. Madam has sent her packing. Maybe it is better to employ a househelp between 18 and 24 or between 50 and 60. If you have a better idea, please let me know. The US househelp had to attend Niger parties. She was just a pain to her madam.

15. nnenne

August 21, 2017 at 1:29 am

Ngozi will surely make a good wife and mother. Hope her husband is a nice man too.
    May God bless all of them.

16. Feyi

August 21, 2017 at 7:14 am

Thank you BN for using “domestic help” not “house help”.That just sounded demeaning abeg.
    The woman tried,the girl tried.It was a partnership that stood the test of time and worked.
    It could have been worse for both parties,thank God it ended in praise.
    I hope she goes to actually serve her daughter by doing Omugwo and things when the kids arrive

17. Maxie

August 21, 2017 at 8:57 am

The Madam is a very good woman.. some people would have disposed the domestic help when they wanted to travel. also the domestic help played her part too. i wish some domestic helps will stop listening to outsiders.

18. chi

August 21, 2017 at 9:28 am

Igweeeeee

19. Noms

August 21, 2017 at 9:36 am

Amazing!

20. Liz

August 21, 2017 at 9:53 am

“All’s well that ends well.”
    Still I can’t help thinking that she became a domestic staff likely as a teen – a minor. Though this story ends well, we should all be strongly opposed to child labor.
    Whether dead or alive, wealthy or impoverished, none of those admiring this story would want their teenager fully employed – because this is a full employment – irrespective of any perks associated.
    Due to our country being an under-developed one with the majority in abject poverty, certain actions which are clearly wrong and punishable by law are praised as benevolent. Child labor should never be an acceptable way to aid a destitute minor.

21. mulikat

August 21, 2017 at 10:41 am

Wow i just cry, reading this beautiful touching story,God bless all of you, but mother , and daughter and all your family memebers.

22. Derin

August 21, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Very well said and true. However I think we as a nation are still a long way from seeing child labour become a thing of the past. While we wait, I think we can all learn from this admirable and commendable story…..to treat our domestics helps, (teenagers or adults) with respect and dignity and not as less humans. I think in this particular story, Ngozi will most likely have suffered a far worse fate as an ophan living with her economically challenged relatives (who had no problems offering her as a domestic help). Getting a secondary and university education even at a Nigerian public institution would most likely have been impossible not to talk of a far higher standard of education abroad. If everyone can have a heart like Dr Ada and her husband, then most of these less privileged teenagers who find themselves having to work as domestic helps may actually be the better of for it……being able to get an education or skill training that your biological family unfortunately cannot afford for you for the time being. But by all means, I agree this setting is still child labour and far from ideal but we have to appreciate the realities of our society and come up the most ideal and practical solutions.

• Manny

August 21, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Exactly.

• jinkelele

August 22, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I’m sure her mother’s wish that her daughter be taken good care of even better than she could have ever done came true. Truly Ngozi is blessed, very rare to find a home like that.

23. Merci

August 21, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Yipyip very admirable…her boss is a fin member, proud of u. I see u Sis, fin love.

24. JustSayin

August 23, 2017 at 4:59 am

wow, what a moving and inspiring story. A strong kudos to Dr Ada cos she could have relaxed on her promises, Afterall, she took exceptional care of Ngozi with her show of love, kindness and respect beyond what she could have possibly dreamt of if she remained in her hometown. Dr Ada I must say has a heart of Gold. The story of Ngozi is also an amazing one of strong discipline and moral values which is greatly lacking in this generation. Indeed her kind is rare. I am more inspired to be more than just a madam to my domestic help. Thank you Dr Ada and Ngozi and may God continually prosper and flourish your homes in love and peace in Jesus name, Amen.