News

“I think Serena hated me for being the skinny kid who beat her against all odds” – Read Excerpts from Maria Sharapova‘s New Memoir

BellaNaija.com

Tennis pro Maria Sharapova is writing a new memoir and some excerpts from the memoir have been made available, via Daily Mail.

In the memoir called “Unstoppable: My Life So Far“, she talks extensively about Serena Williams – including the time when she beat Serena Williams in the finals of Wimbledon at age 17.

According to Maria Sharapova, she heard Serena crying after the match and she believes Serena has never forgiven her as a result of that.

She says:

I don’t think she’s ever forgiven me for it’ – witnessing this ‘low and vulnerable moment. I think Serena hated me for being the skinny kid who beat her, against all odds, at Wimbledon. I think she hated me for taking something that she believed belonged to her. I think she hated me for seeing her at her lowest moment. But mostly I think she hated me for hearing her cry. She’s never forgiven me for it.

Still talking about Serena, she says:

First of all her physical presence is much stronger and bigger than you realize watching TV. She has thick arms and thick legs and is so intimidating and strong. It’s the whole thing – her presence, her confidence, her personality. Even now, she can make me feel like a little girl.

In her new biography, Unstoppable: My Life So Far, Maria Sharapova opens up about her early days in Russia, defeating Serena Williams, and how her 15-month suspension took a toll on her in 2016.

The memoir is to be published by Sarah Crichton Books, September 12.

Read more excerpts on Daily Mail here.

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/mariasharapova

1. Angel

September 7, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Dear Sharapova,
    What a nasty statement to make in your “memoir”. You beat Serena twice in your lifetime. So? She has beaten you 18times and currently has 23 grand slam titles, second overall of all time!
    Please wait while i arrange a standing ovation for you to compensate you for your loss!
    Stop sulking abeg and Congratulate her on her newly-born baby!

• Seriously

September 8, 2017 at 12:05 am

Sharapova is a true hater(a word I don’t use loosely but it best describes her) and a typical entitled white person. . She intentionally wants to take away from Serena’s talent and shine by the emphasis on her physical features. Excuses upon excuses. She and lance Armstrong tested positive for steroids, still running their mouths like no one’s business. Marion Jones tested positive, no suspension everything was stripped from her. We hardly hear about her.
      Serena is G.O.A.T and will forever go down in history.

• fleur

September 8, 2017 at 5:05 am

That means her nemesis is Serena. It is what she wakes up thinking about. it is her undoing especially as Serena does not have a tainted history of using drugs. Let her go and kpeme.

• Foxygal

September 8, 2017 at 6:46 am

HOw else is she going to sell her “makate” if she doesn’t make it sensational?
      ??? I hust hope the context of this excerpts makes this sound better. Cos on its own it’s just stupid.

• Lula

September 8, 2017 at 7:29 am

Bella o! Your first paragraph. It’s made available not “maid” available please. Who edits your articles mehn!

• joyshow

September 8, 2017 at 9:53 am

my point exactly

2. Anon

September 7, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Another entitled one. Terrible description of what Serena looks like and calling SW her greatest competitor is risible.

• Jade Edo babe

September 8, 2017 at 8:12 am

This sharrap ova girl always find way to discredit Serena. Serena has worked hard, proven herself many times. When you watch both play, you see clearly who is a better athlete no need for debate.

When Serena spoke about her, she kept it positive but not this yeye useless tall for nothing girl. She still dey vex Serena beat her well well many times and tied her like wrapper.
      White people get angry when they can’t catch up to black excellence. So, they attack and forcefully change the person’s legacy. Just like Trump.
      Mschewwwww

3. Asa

September 7, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Hahahahahahahaha but there you are slowing fading into oblivion and here she is one of the greatest tennis players of all time. Nne ndo, wite your memoirs all you want, history will forever celebrate Serena.

4. Random

September 8, 2017 at 12:01 am

Add me to the list of those who will never buy or read this memoir. She better than Bella Naija for the few minutes of attention she got from me.
    Her use of words just reeks of pettiness….

5. Random

September 8, 2017 at 12:01 am

Thank*

6. Ngozi

September 8, 2017 at 12:07 am

Rubbish, I have seen serena play live many times and serena is small in body type. She might be muscular but serena is small and shorter than the giant sharapova. Biko sharapova focus on your return from a doping ban.

7. joy

September 8, 2017 at 12:12 am

this post just made me angry! what nonsense!

8. Papacy

September 8, 2017 at 12:22 am

Oh no she didn’t! The Calvary is coming for this one

9. VERA

September 8, 2017 at 12:41 am

MADAM I NEED DOPING TO WIN
    JUST SHUT UP YOUR MOUTH OVER THERE
    YOU WILL NEVER BE 1/4 OF WHAT SERENA IS
    YOU ARE THE ONE STRUGGLING TO COMPREHEND THE GREATNESS OF A STRONG BLACK WOMAN
    UTTER RUBBISH

10. Onxy

September 8, 2017 at 1:11 am

The reason you are intimidated is that your record against her is 19 losses and 2 wins…

11. Moi

September 8, 2017 at 2:01 am

Will you keep kwayet!!!!!!!

12. Me

September 8, 2017 at 2:14 am

Deluded woman

13. June

September 8, 2017 at 2:36 am

Playing victim since 19 brigidy. ?????! Black twitter will come for your steroid doping a** . Better face your front and take Serena’s name out of your trap. Bad belle and envy ?!

• Lizzie

September 8, 2017 at 5:29 am

They need to come for her right and proper and get her together once and for all. The cheek, the nerve, the impetus! I really can’t deal.

14. Eda

September 8, 2017 at 3:08 am

Sharapova, pls sharap… #dopinglegend

15. Rafaella

September 8, 2017 at 3:20 am

Madam Meldonium!!!
    Go and read Isaiah 48:22
    You are 6ft 2in and doped up.
    Serena Williams is 5ft 9in.
    You still couldn’t beat Serena.
    You doped up for ten years to lose 18 times to Serena so you could write a book blaming it on Serena’s thick arms & legs.
    The thing is that Maria Sharapova is always trying to paint Serena in a bad light. The irony is that people can see right through it. She’s pathetic.

• Dame

September 8, 2017 at 9:39 am

What pained me is her description of Serena “she has really thick arms and thighs”as if to say Serena is built like a man”…..shes trying to say Serena is a man codedly

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA….WE ARE COMING FOR YOU BOO
      BETTER RUN

16. Jo!

September 8, 2017 at 4:12 am

Who’s this? Who TF are you Maria Sharapova???? Tell me who exactly you are.
    So because you’ve done drugs now and have messed up your career you’re looking for fame anywhere you can find it? Not here B, wrong target, keep it moving

17. Leah

September 8, 2017 at 4:41 am

May I just say THANK YOU! to you all, Angel, Seriously, Anon, Asa, Random, Ngozi, Joy, Papacy, Moi, Me, June, Rafaella and Jo. I was fixing to write a long rant but you all for her together really quick. 18 – 2 is not a rivalry, that is a total domination. She should name her book Dairy of a Mad White Woman.

18. Black women

September 8, 2017 at 6:02 am

Can someone just help me brag about black women for a minute. ??????????I love this comment section black women supporting each other oh and Ms SP bite me!!!!!!!!!

19. Susie

September 8, 2017 at 6:34 am

Every African who has worked abroad knows a ‘Maria Sharapova’. The type of white woman who hates that you are higher than her/ doing better than her in the office & finds ways to shade you. These are the people who can write wicked emails about you to your boss while fake smiling with you. I had one like that whom I was supervising who actually had the audacity to ask me how I got the job. She continued to back stab me & of course the other oyinbo people in the office supported her to do this. I later left the job & found an even better one.. Na wa for black people in some of these countries,

• chi

September 8, 2017 at 10:33 am

u just described tribalistic yoruba people expecially their women ..if u think I am lying ..just work in an office filled with yoruba people as a non-yoruba..they are worse than what u described..it is always easy to point finger at white people while our own shit smell worse…pls , let us stop this our hypocrisy

20. Tina

September 8, 2017 at 7:14 am

@Susie: Preach Sister! But still we’ll rise up & keep rising above them!

Maria ku Kati Kati. ..oju re lo ma se- Serena ‘ll be back and she ‘ll still wip ur arse!

Awon oyinbo yi ma baje o,won te beru Olorun ke?

Imagine d timing to release this book just to rain on Serena charade?

Maria!!! Se ofe joona ku ni abi ofe ki le lanu gbe o mi?

21. Diamond

September 8, 2017 at 8:17 am

And Serena will continue to beat her. This girl lack respect… instead of her to admit Serena is much better than she will ever be even with her drug use, she is here displaying deep seated jealousy.

22. Chynwa

September 8, 2017 at 8:25 am

This woman has just used the name Serena Williams to sell her book…smh. May God forgive her (*holding myself from swearing for you)

23. Aisha

September 8, 2017 at 9:03 am

Negodu this white fowl. Idiot

24. Lanya

September 8, 2017 at 9:44 am

Sharapova stays pressed. when you have no personality on your own to drive your book sales, mention Serana and how she scares you. Someone on maternity leave o. Issokay.

23 grand slams is not a joke. But I bet you already knew that seeing as you cannot have it, even with your towering height and drug use.

25. lifeisbeautiful

September 8, 2017 at 11:22 am

Calm down guys! We all know Serena dominates the courts but dang u guys r taking it too seriously
    ..Serena could careless about what Sharapova has to say and U.

26. Serena Lover

September 8, 2017 at 11:28 am

I have never really called anyone a hater. But this my dear friends is what a hater looks like. Maria Sharapova is a hater! Serena Williams is obviously the bane of her existence. I can’t believe the way she described Serena’s physical features like she is a beast that lives in the forest. This ragedy dagedy steroid doping con artist. Without Serena no one would talk about her. She became famous only because she beat Serena twice. I trust Black twitter to deal with aunty Maria. She should be ashamed of herself. Serena is not a legend. She is the legend. Look up legend in Cambridge dictionary, Serena’s picture has to be there. LOL. Serena is my queen. Always looked up to her. She has never disappointed me. Her work ethic, her beauty, her grace, that grit and the occasional bursts of anger when she plays a not so great ball, all make her Serena Williams the greatest of all time!!! I wish Maria will not make any profits from this book but because American pop culture is the way it is she’s def going to be smiling to the bank once this book is released. Asswipe.

27. x-factor

September 8, 2017 at 11:58 am

ish…

28. Lilo

September 8, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I think Serena is her worst nightmare. Holy smokes! I think she needs therapy. It in one thing to feel strongly about a competition deep in your soul. It’s another to feel the need to articulate such deep feelings in. Your memoir. Get help sharapova.

29. DWoods

September 8, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Sharapova you are shameful. You are to Serena what Trump is to Obama. How many times did you cry when Serena defeated you? And what about the time the commentator said, “it was a violent beat down” by Serena on you. Serena could care less about your book, your comments about her, or for the matter that you also make millions. She and every person–living and dead–knows Serena is 100 times better than you will ever be. GOAT needs no drug s to bring her A game. But you know that! Go visit Putin, wicked witch of Russia.

30. Truth-be-told

September 8, 2017 at 6:27 pm

People, she needs to make sales!!!! Hence her use of Serena’s name in her book. Poor delusional little girl. Feels her career is made because she beat Serena. LOL..How low can you go???? describing her physical attributes???Really? ?? look how old she looks. Coming from someone with a tarnished career, she sure is silly. Serena should not dignify her childish act with a response.

31. Bee

September 8, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Maria Sharapova na wa for you ooh… Jealousy will not take u anywhere, Serena Williams is still the best of all times she’s a legend…

32. Momotaro

September 9, 2017 at 12:21 am

Stay mad, witch. ?

33. Foreverfoxy

September 9, 2017 at 2:17 pm

It’s like she is still on steroids…

34. BigJonStud

September 10, 2017 at 7:13 am

Maria should just sharrap over dia or keep up the doping. This scenario gives me a photo bombing vibe. Serena owns you. You’re silverware sister so sit on that shelf and say nothing. She’s not even the priciest Serena has got. Be humble…sit down!