Style

#ThrowbackThursday: What were you doing the Moment Agbani Darego was crowned Miss World in 2001?

BellaNaija.com

It’s Thursday and social media dictates that people reminisce and share past memories online – whether it is through old photos or old trends!

With the one the most anticipated beauty pageants (Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria) coming up on Friday, September 15, we are asking our BellaNaijarians, What were you doing the Moment Agbani Darego was crowned Miss World in 2001?

1. Bukie

September 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm

In the common room at my secondary school with my school mates and house mistress seriously rooting for her, and she won!

• Eny

September 15, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Same narrative as mine. Are you sure i dont know you?

2. Californiabawlar

September 14, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Oh this is a good one!
    I was one the road so I didn’t watch, and didn’t see the news until the following morning on newspaper headlines when she was plastered all over the covers. Dang! The good old days of Newspapers and radio morning reports!?
    Anywhoozies, it was back when I waiting to start uni so I hung out a bunch with my group from sec school. As we no get work na, to celebrate this occasion, my friends and I gathered at our meeting point and started marveling at her beauty and grace. After that, we discussed rumors about her only winning to welcome Nigeria back into the international community given our then new democracy… and concluded even if that was the fact she was still one of the most beautiful women in the work. And of course we topped the conversation up with arguments on people we knew that were ‘finner’ than Agbani ?
    Her story had an impact on me for some reason. I still stan for her till today cos she represents a time in my life when I was full of optimism and had my life ahead of me. Plus she was and still is mad gorgeous! ??

Well dang! I wrote an entire thesis on such a mundane subject ? If na real work now I be looking like opolo ? Whateves ????

• A Real Nigerian

September 14, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Beautiful read, Miss Bawler!
      Reading this smooth narration of the events that happened in your life on that very important and memorable day has added so much to my life and I am now a bigger and better person. Thank you plenty.
      xoxo!

• BOSS

September 14, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Lol. Seriously?

• Anon

September 14, 2017 at 6:18 pm

A Real Nigerian – polite sarcasm! 🙂

• The Real Oma

September 14, 2017 at 6:30 pm

ARN is baccccck!
      I like the ‘polite’ humour. Please keep it that way.
      Nice epistle jor CB.

• Californiabawlar

September 14, 2017 at 9:27 pm

? I sabi my BN fam na! That’s why I jejely gave y’all my ‘whateves’ before posting ?
      Na as e do me I take type am… so again I say whateves! ????????

• Californiabawlar

September 14, 2017 at 10:39 pm

The comment was rife with typos and autocorrect madness sef…mschew! ??

3. MummyA

September 14, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Just like when Abacha died, I remember this vividly , I was in QC, JSS3 precisely and in boarding house. Next thing I heard were sounds of jubilation from the dinning hall such that seniors were ‘five 5ing’ juniors literally. If you attended a boarding school then you’d know understand the scenario better. The name Agbani was chorused over and again.

PS… i don’t see another Agbani happening at least not anything soon. As long as an African country like Nigeria continues producing Fair western like barbie dolls. No harm in being light skinned, dont misconstrue my point please… I once ran into Agbani at Silverbird gallery, even without trying so hard you just cant miss her, how she radiates,

4. BUMSHAHSA

September 14, 2017 at 4:57 pm

HI

5. BUMSHAHSA

September 14, 2017 at 4:59 pm

It was my brother’s birthday and my elder brother’s graduation from U.I, I WAS in that mood on the road when the news of Agbani Darego broke! I was like??? Seriously! OMG!

6. Mahka

September 14, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I was too young, didn’t know jack about beauty pageants n queens, I learnt about Queen Agbani’s win years later through ‘Who wants to be a millionaire’ fastest finger question, years down the line when people refer to skinny women as Agbani, I got it…

7. MummyA

September 14, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Just like when Abacha died, I remember this vividly , I was in QC, JSS3 precisely and in boarding house. Next thing I heard were sounds of jubilation from the common room/dinning hall such that seniors were ‘five 5ing’ juniors literally. If you attended a boarding school then you’d know understand the scenario better. The name Agbani was chorused over and again.

8. Billionaire in grace

September 14, 2017 at 6:44 pm

I remember I heard about it the following morningon the news when we were getting ready for school.we were so proud of her as if The whole African continent won.Nigeria was much respected in Africa particularly Congo bcos of her.

9. Dr.N

September 14, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I watched it with my whole family at home. My mom used to be a pageant fan. We all knelt down singing and thanking God when she won cos we didn’t think a black African could win even though she was obviously aweosme.
    I still remember her question…3 things she would take along if marooned on an island

• Becky

September 15, 2017 at 11:04 am

So what was her reply?

• Prada

September 16, 2017 at 6:15 pm

@ Becky if you’re interested still, she said her Bible, a blanket and water. In that order.

10. Ello Bae

September 14, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I cant remember where I was but I remember how I felt afterwards. Her response to that question was spectacular. As a fellow Abuloma girl, I was extremely proud . I can’t remember if my dorm was Primrose or Zinnia then but when I found out the news from day students, I was ecstatic. I think almost every Abu babe was full of pride. And just because of Agbani’s victory, the then principal, Mrs Tom-George, erected a sign by the park that read “Nurture Base for Future Queens”. Who wouldn’t be proud. Hail Abuloma!

11. meelikey

September 14, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Was shouting my lungs out and mimicking the way she was waving and cat walking,this sense of pride in my great country crept in. I was so happy a dark skinned girl won Miss World beauty peagent and yes she is NIGERIAN!

12. Olori

September 14, 2017 at 11:55 pm

I almost missed this post haaay! I was watching with my mum. Just the two of us in our small living room back then in Surulere. My dad and siblings were asleep, I think. When she answered the desert question with Bible, water and blanket I remember being so impressed. And I was just 9! LOL. As soon as she was announced the winner, my mum and I flew from our sofa and then suddenly our entire street went mental. That was when I knew we were not the only ones watching it afterall. I mean the entire street came out of their flats and were shouting. Trust Lagosians, some idiots started breaking bottles and popping stout. My mum then told me to get back inside. It was amazing.

13. Olori

September 14, 2017 at 11:57 pm

By the way, nice to see you ARN. Missed you. And Bruno. You guys planned to go MIA? I’m beginning to think ARN and Bruno are one and the same o.

• AceOfSpades

September 15, 2017 at 7:48 am

ARN writes better than Bruno but both of them aren’t smart so….

14. kiki

September 15, 2017 at 12:03 am

Okay. I was really young but i remember everyone in d sitting room cuddling around our small TV. Trust Nepa to strike and everyone kept cursing . It was the next day we heard the fine Nigerian lady won and there were plenty versions of what she was asked. I was just happy a Nigerian won at something,didn’t even know her name then, and it became a motivational speech in school,thats when I knew her name,and I have loved her since then.

15. sesede

September 15, 2017 at 12:45 am

Lol.2001?? Creche????

16. cisca

September 15, 2017 at 12:59 am

Will Nigeria ever win the Miss World again

17. Lala

September 15, 2017 at 2:54 am

NEPA decided to take light right as we got to the finale. Was a nice surprise when I saw her on the front of the paper as the winner the next morning ?

18. B.E.S.H

September 15, 2017 at 4:55 am

At my hostel lounge in the university watching and praying she wins. Still one of my proudest moments being a Nigerian. Will never forget how she answered the question ‘What 3 things will you take with you to a dessert and why?’….also her awesone hair?

19. Flow

September 15, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I am actually tearing up just remembering that evening, all I can say is that I have never been as proud of Nigeria as I was that day, I was about 13 then, in Jss3 and we did nothing else the next day in school than talk about and celebrate her and yes she deserved to win. She was everything every young girl desired to be, beautiful, smart and her confidence was oh so contagoius, lovely moment in history y’all.

20. Hunta

September 20, 2017 at 3:27 am

I was a 3 year old, Playing and crying. Unable to differentiate fantasy from reality. Ignorant of the world. Hu