News

Hurricane Harvey: Woman donates frozen breast milk to victims

Hurricane Harvey: Woman donates frozen breast milk to victims

Photo Credit: Facebook- Danielle M. Palmer

A nursing mother, Danielle Palmer, in Missouri has donated 65 pints of frozen breast milk which is equivalent to eight gallons to Texas mothers affected by the Harvey flood.

According to The Mail, she had saved the milk for her son, Truett, but on seeing how distressed people were as a result of the flood, she decided to donate them as relief materials.

She narrated that her son takes most of his meal through infusion therapy (IV) because he was born with a congenital heart problem, among other diseases. This explains the reason why she had breast milk stored in the freezer.

According to her, she was advised by her son’s speech therapist to donate some of the breast milk to the Harvey victims; and having experienced how hard it is to raise a child from her experience with Truett, she saw it as a very good opportunity to help others.

“Breastfeeding is hard. Whether you’re pumping or feeding or however it may be, it’s hard. And we are like momma bears. We protect one another.” She said of her fellow moms.

It was learnt that local organisation, Guiding Star Missouri, will drive the refrigerated milk from Dallas to the city, where it will be distributed to those who show interest in it.

This will be very helpful to mums who lost their own supplies during blackouts or who lost their pumps when they were forced out of their homes and to moms stressed out by the tragic events.

Palmer added, “With breastfeeding, stress plays a big role in your supply. If you become stressed, your supply will drop.”

Palmer says that all the milk distributed by Guiding Star is rigorously tested to ensure it’s safe.

Watch video below:

1. Osa

September 6, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Breastmilk donation? !!!!! WTF!

• Enn

September 6, 2017 at 10:41 pm

It’s not weird at all, obviously u’ve never heard of wet nurses.

• ec

September 7, 2017 at 7:20 am

perfectly normal. wet nurses are still a thing. and this woman here is donating to a good cause

• Fleur

September 8, 2017 at 5:16 am

I dont know about this one. What if her breast milk has a contaminant that has to do with her home and circumstances in MO? What if she has dioxins, pcbs, mercury, etc? It is like distributing one’s blood without the proper testing for it. Baby can drink water instead. Gross.

• Fleur

September 8, 2017 at 5:17 am

I wont even get into drugs because these are things people do and they do not discuss them. We have to be careful about body fluids. It is not so simple and exchange.

2. gbaskelebo

September 6, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Blood of COWBELL !!! Let me go the NL way here fainting space is needed.

3. Pat

September 6, 2017 at 10:17 pm

White people sha

• ec

September 7, 2017 at 7:21 am

Pat. ignorance is not good. please use your phone and google wet nurse.
      Also do some research on breast milk. there is nothing wrong in what this “white person” did.

4. Tee

September 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm

May God bless her?. Guys please don’t be ignorant donor breast milk is quite common in developed countries. It’s completely safe, and sanitary. Many families have benefited from it, especially those with premature babies and women who just can’t provide breast milk. Stay woke ✌?

• momo

September 6, 2017 at 11:14 pm

i wish i had this option

• ss

September 6, 2017 at 11:35 pm

women like me, i just wonder why I don’t produce much bread milk, my baby cries loud when she cant seems to get anything, she would be cranky, thank God for formula.

• nene+

September 7, 2017 at 1:02 am

It is not an uncommon practise in advanced countries. My grandmother told me they actually used to practise it in Nigeria when a mother can breastfeed the neighbours infants if the actually mom is sick, away or dead.

5. C

September 7, 2017 at 2:57 am

Money and hands on help are the best ways to help. Breast milk spoils easily and such gestures while they are nice end up being most likely a waste. Best way is to know what the people need directly.

• the real ibinabo

September 7, 2017 at 3:52 am

I am sure with good preservation techniques you can minimise the wastage

• Tee

September 7, 2017 at 5:44 am

Frozen breast milk lasts for 6 months

• ec

September 7, 2017 at 7:22 am

She is giving what she can!

• nene+

September 7, 2017 at 9:55 am

…actual mom….

6. Yellow sun

September 7, 2017 at 8:08 am

This right here is GOLD! try asking an exclusive breastfeeding mom what this means

ALL these ignorant people on BN…please this is not Linda’s blog..smh

7. Lola Carey

September 7, 2017 at 11:49 am

I am surprised at the reactions here. Seems we have a lot of ignorant Nigerians. I almost taught I was on Linda ikeji blog too!lol

8. Canim

September 7, 2017 at 11:54 am

Was shocked when I was asked by the doctor to donate some of my breast milk to other moms cos my baby was born premature and with a heart problem and she wasn’t taking my milk by herself but through iv.but am so glad I did