Music

“I wanted out” of life – Michelle Williams on Battle with Depression at Height of Destiny’s Child Fame

"I wanted out of life" - Michelle Williams opens up on Battle with Depression while in Destiny's Child - BellaNaija

Michelle Williams

Michelle Williams, member of former girl group Destiny’s Child, has opened up on her battle with depression.

As a guest on CBS’ The Talk, Williams revealed she was depressed and suicidal while the group toured the world. She said:

I’m in one of the top-selling female groups of all time, suffering with depression.

When I disclosed it to our manager (Mathew Knowles) at the time, bless his heart, he was like, “You all just signed a multi-million dollar deal. You’re about to go on tour. What do you have to be depressed about?”

So I was like, “Oh, maybe I’m just tired”

She continued feeling the way she felt though, saying it got “to the point where (she) was suicidal and wanted out” of life.

She’d been feeling that way since she was 13, she said, and until she got to her 30s, she didn’t realize it was depression.

She said: “I think at the age of 25, had I had a name to what I was feeling at the time, I would have disclosed that ‘I’ve been suffering from depression.'”

Michelle thanked the show producers after the episode aired, tweeting, “Don’t be afraid to reach out for help”.

1. mama zee

October 19, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Depression is a state of mind and physical enrichment is not an antidote. you can be very rich and still be depressed and for those of you who will play the GOD card, you can know God and still be depressed i assure you. It creeps up on you gradually and if you are not able to pin point what it is you are going through, you won’t be able to get help. In my own case, i almost dragged my husband in with me cos he felt there was something i wanted that he couldn’t provide until he got to know what it was and he dropped all he was doing at the time to help me. Even when i refuted his help. It takes time to come out of it and i don’t know if you fully recover from it but with God all things are possible!

• Iou

October 19, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Better husband!!!!

2. provi

October 19, 2017 at 12:58 pm

You have the right to be depressed of course even in the midst of money and fame because of the likes of Beyonce who always take the center stage thereby covering your glory. You are there but you are not there.

You become a spectator. Kelly the second in command is next after Beyonce.. It’s normal to feel not wanted and appreciated wen you are the least noticed.

In the midst of plenty, one can still be left out.. Money and fame is not everything.

Love is. Show some love to someone not so beautiful or handsome or talented. You would save a life.

• Skree

October 19, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Hi Provi,

I think it may be unfair to attribute her depression to Destiny’s Child. The article said she started feeling that way at age 13…I don’t think she joined the band until her 20’s.

• Frank White

October 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Guy did you read the same article. What did Beyonce have to do with it? smh

• Curious

October 19, 2017 at 6:08 pm

I am always amazed at people like this “provi” that will read yet refuse to comprehend. You well so? How did Beyonce enter the matter? You just go about injecting your own personal biases and insecurities into everything; it is ridiculous! The girl straight up said she’d been dealing with it since turning 13, yet you chose to see something else.

People like you suffer from what I like to call the “takeover spirit”, you are always wanting to have what someone else has because if not, why are you over there worried about someone else being more appreciated? I just tire for people like you; una sabi to dey proper annoying!

• Osa

October 19, 2017 at 6:19 pm

@Provi, word!!!!!
      Jah bless you. Beyonce the bossy cow. Self centred. Kelly sef na mumu. Beyonce follow-follow.
      Its understandable that Michelle was depressed. Anyone could have foreseen that beyonce used the group as a stepping stone and was bidding her time. If she was that good why didn’t she come out solo from the very start?
      The other girls couldnt take all that shit and walked. They are not worse off to kelly and michelle today. . I mean Latavia and LeToya.

• wifematerial

November 1, 2017 at 11:06 pm

No everything you said is so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who covers who glory???? Depression comes in different forms……………….am so depressed right now but can’t figure what it is……………….am not a celebrity but I do have all I needed to function in this world of poverty.

3. Neze

October 19, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Did you read the part where she said she’s been feeling this way since she was 13, i.e., way before Destiny’s Child and ever meeting Beyonce or Kelly? Apportioning needless blame is not helpful and, in this case, also highlights the fact that you may have a problem reading comprehension.

4. Bolaji

October 20, 2017 at 12:12 am

woman was once suicidal, the most important thing for some of you is to start fighting for Beyonce. Okay!

5. Mz_Danielz

October 20, 2017 at 5:06 am

My take on this is that most teens have identity issues and being in the spotlight makes it harder to deal with. Maybe that’s why child stars do a lot of crap like Drugs etc.

Michelle’s faith and destiny’s child’s style also conflicted. The girl wasn’t down for the sexy stuff, it just wasn’t what she wanted for herself and that conflict in the spotlight coupled with lack of good PR worsened it.

That said, I don’t like the Knowles especially Bey, they are a very selfish bunch.

PS: Bey strikes me as someone with lots of issues by the way. Only Kelly comes across as whole to me.

• anon

October 20, 2017 at 6:01 am

Kelly has come out to disclose mental ill health beyonce hasnt. Some how you deduced kelly to be whole and beyonce got issues. It strikes me your judgement may be beclouded with a bad case of hateration.

6. anon

October 20, 2017 at 5:50 am

The girl says she had been suffering from depresssion since she was 13. With good therapy she might be able to pin point the exact traumatic episode that caused her mental ill health. She would still be dealing with the effects of depression even if she had taken a different path in life. As for critics of beyonce you guys must be living an alternate reality. In every group there emerges a natural leader. Such is life. At work we got bosses. If you do not want to be in a group/company you are free to leave and form a group were you can be a sucessful leader too. After all other girls left to form there own sucessful groups ( not!!! They found out it werent easy) you got to have charisma to be a leader and make a a multi muillion dollar brand . so my people learn to emulate not hate.

7. sweetbreeze

October 20, 2017 at 6:33 am

Beyonce can’t seem to catch a break these days. It’s funny how a woman who is just all about her music and gets involved with nothing but that always gets dragged into things that aren’t related to her. Michelle is depressed, oh it must be Beyoncé’s fault. Jayz and Kanye fight, it must be Beyonce’s fault. Some of you have deep rooted issues o.

8. Mz_Danielz

October 20, 2017 at 5:53 pm

@anon, I said comes across/strikes me now, why taking it P?

PS: hating any of the 3 when they’re all on a different plane and lane is a waste of haterade and I’m too prudent to waste anything.