Scoop

Netflix under pressure to cancel “House Of Cards” following Kevin Spacey’s Sexual Abuse Scandal

BellaNaija.com

Netflix under pressure to cancel "House Of Cards" following Kevin Spacey revelations

American actor Kevin Spacey earlier today addressed allegations made by younger actor Anthony Rapp that the former sexually harassed him when he was 14 years old.

Rapp had alleged that Spacey who was then 26 had invited him over after they both performed together on Broadway and tried to have his way with him after everyone had left. He also stated that Spacey might have been under the influence of alcohol.

In his statement, Spacey admits that he has no recollection of the incident while apologizing to Rapp for whatever feelings he had bottled up all those years. He also came out as gay. He wrote:

I’m beyond horrified to hear this story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.

However, a lot of people are not impressed with Spacey’s behavior and want him off Netflix‘s hit show “House of Cards” where he has played the character Frank Underwood since the show’s premiere in 2013, for which he even earned a Golden Globe award.

See some reactions below:

1. corolla

October 30, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Men, I tire! This sexual abuse/harassment is more prevalent that we can ever imagine.

2. bruno

October 30, 2017 at 7:57 pm

but why should others have to suffer for his crimes. if they cancel house of cards, the other actors and actresses on the show will be out of a job.

instead they should kill his character off and make the show about claire. besides claire is much more interesting than frank.

• corolla

October 31, 2017 at 4:24 pm

I was thinking the same too. That’s a lot of people put of jobs! Production team, actors, janitor sef!

3. Ec

October 30, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Men have been pulling these stunts and getting away with it. Charge them criminally. House of cards is good but we can do without it if it sends a clear message

4. Seriously

October 30, 2017 at 8:57 pm

So, he pretty much trivialized sexually harassing an underage boy. Then he goes further to announce his choice of sexuality. So, he’s saying hey I’m gay and like little boys.
    There should be consequences for his action but the show shouldn’t be canceled because it’s still on and will affect other innocent people who had nothing to do with it.

• bruno

October 30, 2017 at 9:06 pm

“choice of sexuality”

u are so stupid for this particular statement.
      I’m surprised u didn’t say all gay people are child molesters. cause that’s how daft people like u reason

• seriously

October 31, 2017 at 1:47 pm

@Bruno
      Here comes the unhinged Bruno, whose purpose in life is to go to bed and wake up angry at the world. Listen, I’m not the cause of your problem in life okay, don’t lash out at me.
      Homosexuality is a CHOICE of sexuality, you can get angry all you want. I know you like when folks are as confused as you are but no I choose not to be blinded/deceived. Everything in life is a choice. I’ve also chosen to identify as a heterosexual lady.

5. BlueEyed

October 30, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Nobody is finding sexual abuse okay, but this anger is misplaced and unneccesary, Kevin Spacey is a brilliant actor with multiple awards (an EGOT without the G) to his name, at 26 his acting career was still at a juvenile stage, his decisions can be judged based on his character at the time but his career shouldn’t suffer because unlike Harvey he didn’t use his influence or fame to inflict any harm, he made poor choices as a young man, which he has apologized for.
    And for him coming out as gay, I say bravo! But his sexuality doesn’t define him or add or take away from him, he is still an exceptional actor, activist and humanitarian.

• californiabawlar

October 30, 2017 at 11:15 pm

I don’t usually do this but sometimes we have to take a stand. My dear, you never make sense! As in NEVER! It must be tiring being you… ahn ahn! smh.

p.s. Pedophilia is a CRIME… you don’t just apologize for it! Despite your covert homophobia, his sexuality is not related to his choice to commit this crime, so please don’t conflate the two. The sane world could care less what his orientation his, it just has to involve consenting ADULTS. This whole thing with young boys is an open secret in Hollywood (google the two Coreys), and the only reason Kevin didn’t have his way was probably that he wasn’t powerful enough just yet. I’ll just stop now… ugggh!

• Ajala & Foodie

October 31, 2017 at 12:55 am

@ Blue Eyed, @ 26, you are an adult and will be tried in any country as one. His sexuality like CB said and his crime are mutually exclusive. It is like a pedophile or a rapist being applauded for announcing “I am heterosexual or bisexual” after being caught raping a child or a woman. Your natural response will be “so what?”. Or would you say because a rapist is 26years of age and as apologized he should be allowed to go scot free? It is attitudes and arguments like yours that have made this people get away with such horrific acts in the past. It definitely lacks logical sense. The law is not a respecter of talent, talent or not there are consequences of your actions. That he is an actor does not and should not exempt him from the law or do you think other rapists or pedophiles don’t have talents too?

• BlueEyed

October 31, 2017 at 7:20 am

@carlifonia….. Honey look at you trying to check me, LMAO. I don’t usually respond because I don’t care to but let me indulge your ignorance today.
      You can disagree with my opinions because you are entitled to yours and that is very fine with me, as humans we think differently and life experiences or exposures has taught us differently.
      Now what I won’t have you say is that I never made sense on this site because boo boo, all the points you would’ve tried to make to buttress your stance became irrelevant the moment you decide to lead with that trolling comment.
      So BN family, let’s do a little facts checking, there’s a search engine down at the end of the menu to your left, now type in “BlueEyed” and there you have so many examples of comments I made that clearly people agreed with on this site and definitely MADE SENSE!
      Lastly, darling find your way back to that miserable pile of immaturity you just crawled out from. Have a cup of coffeee and you will be alright. Peace, Love and Unicorns ❤️❤️
      -BlueEyed

6. tunmi

October 30, 2017 at 9:55 pm

uh..no. The show is more than him. His character can be written off. I’m guessing not many realize that for each show we watch there are many people whose livelihood is tied to that.

Even Weinstein, take him off projects but don’t let projects suffer. Give it a new name, make sure he has no involvement, but doesn’t punish people who had nothing to do with it.

7. john

October 30, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I have been enjoying all the scandals….liberals/Democrats eating themselves..what is there not to watch..lol

8. Anon

October 31, 2017 at 1:00 am

The conflation of using a 14 year old boy he raped, with him now coming out to say he’s gay, is very wicked. Scum. Always been a creep with his dead eyes.

Now his brother has come out to say he was sexually abused by their Dad with their Mum’s knowledge is a side story.

Meanwhile, Weinstein and Spacey are close friends to the Clintons. Something is unravelling…

9. Ej

October 31, 2017 at 7:34 am

Incase u didn’t know Kevin owns the show