Music

“You should never have to choose between two good things” – Banky W wishes Peter & Paul Okoye a Happy Birthday

BellaNaija.com

Banky W

Banky W was on his Instagram today to wished singer Peter and Paul Okoye, formerly of P Square, a happy birthday.

The birthday wish came with a little story, a metaphor, a food for thought.

Paul and Peter Okoye

He shared, with a photo of beans and dodo, a long caption, which read:

Which do you prefer?
I just got back to Nigeria recently, after the better part of 4 months away. Naturally, one of the things I missed the most while being away was the food. So I tried going to one of my favourite African restaurants to order some. Everything seemed normal until I tried to place an order. I asked for beans and plantain… the waiter said I could have one or the other, but not the two at the same time. I was confused. I decided to go for Jollof rice and chicken. Same story. Pounded yam and Egusi??? No, sorry, it’s either pounded yam OR Egusi.. not both together. I was actually at a loss for words. This didn’t make sense to me, at all. The waiter then tried to explain.. using words like “change”, “growth” and “trying a new direction”. But I didn’t and still don’t understand. Why change what was already perfect? He explained that any option I chose would still taste good. So, because hunger was killing me, I tried it. In the past few days I’d try plantain one day, and then beans another. Etc. And they did taste good. But they were perfect together. Absolutely perfect. The best of the best of African cuisine.
It’s unfortunate that sometimes, with growth, change and whatever-other-word U wanna use… we end up losing sight of where and how we started, and altering what was a perfectly working combination. It makes me sad. But such is life I guess. For now, I will have to make do with either beans OR plantain, and either Jollof OR chicken, at different times. It isn’t quite the same though, so here’s hoping one day someone will realize that U should never have to choose between two good things, when both, together, make a perfect combination.
I miss beans & dodo at my favourite restaurant. Sigh.

In other news, happy birthday @peterpsquare & @rudeboypsquare.
Shoutout to the chef @judeengees. I love you all. ?? #thebankstatements#foodforthought#yalldothedishes

See the post below:

View this post on Instagram

Which do you prefer? I just got back to Nigeria recently, after the better part of 4 months away. Naturally, one of the things I missed the most while being away was the food. So I tried going to one of my favourite African restaurants to order some. Everything seemed normal until I tried to place an order. I asked for beans and plantain… the waiter said I could have one or the other, but not the two at the same time. I was confused. I decided to go for Jollof rice and chicken. Same story. Pounded yam and Egusi??? No, sorry, it's either pounded yam OR Egusi.. not both together. I was actually at a loss for words. This didn't make sense to me, at all. The waiter then tried to explain.. using words like "change", "growth" and "trying a new direction". But I didn't and still don't understand. Why change what was already perfect? He explained that any option I chose would still taste good. So, because hunger was killing me, I tried it. In the past few days I'd try plantain one day, and then beans another. Etc. And they did taste good. But they were perfect together. Absolutely perfect. The best of the best of African cuisine. It's unfortunate that sometimes, with growth, change and whatever-other-word U wanna use… we end up losing sight of where and how we started, and altering what was a perfectly working combination. It makes me sad. But such is life I guess. For now, I will have to make do with either beans OR plantain, and either Jollof OR chicken, at different times. It isn't quite the same though, so here's hoping one day someone will realize that U should never have to choose between two good things, when both, together, make a perfect combination. I miss beans & dodo at my favourite restaurant. Sigh. In other news, happy birthday @peterpsquare & @rudeboypsquare. Shoutout to the chef @judeengees. I love you all. 😊🤗 #thebankstatements #foodforthought #yalldothedishes

A post shared by Banky W. (@bankywellington) on

1. yoma

November 18, 2017 at 8:16 pm

just wish them happy birthday then call them later for advise..sheesh ..

• californiabawlar

November 18, 2017 at 8:53 pm

It was/is a very public fight. So therefore, their advice shall be public. Simpu.

2. Dolly

November 18, 2017 at 8:44 pm

White people; Happy birthday to my co-worker and friend, break a leg!

Black people; Back in 1892 when i started this job…..my coworker was….finally we became friends then….
    So let me use this opportunity to wish you a happy birthday (SMDFH)

• john

November 18, 2017 at 9:46 pm

@dolly So true ….we to dey like stress ourselves too much for this continent…this reminds when I was doing my masters in the UK..during the dissertation defence…the white and asian guys were on their normal shirt and trousers but still looking smart..while we the Nigerians were over- dressed with sharp suit and tie etc..omo , u go fear..my friend had to buy a new suit and tie before the defence ..I would have understood if our department is the type of department that maybe needs it like ~ Law or any of the art department..but it is not…we were blowing English up and down as if that was really needed ..while the white and asians guys kept it simple… as I observed this ..that was the moment I truly understood what mental slavery really means and that deep, inner low complex that blacks have( u will understand this if u WATCH the behaviour of nigerian coming abroad or visiting you for the first time) ..even the Japanese guy that doesn’t know English ( I mean this dude had to translate most of the spoken and written English in one of his portable device)..this guy scored highest and came out with distinction….that was also the day I understood that intelligence differs and that we live in a country(Nigeria) were English is used as a parameter to judge intelligence.

• Loool

November 18, 2017 at 10:11 pm

When will people like you understand that everyone CANNOT be the same, that is the beauty of life. Person A chooses to write an epistle and Person B doesn’t. How does that even have anything to do with race? You need to check yourself. For real.

• Dolly

November 19, 2017 at 12:27 am

here punk, check this nuts

• Ikenna

November 20, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Dolly, I hope you really are not Dull. 1st, try understand that we are NOT white people, and that we humans are ALL different- even within the same home/family, let alone race(s)! Reason with your brain, dude!..thats why you got it!

• yallslaves

November 25, 2017 at 12:56 am

It’s actually Nigerians/Africans like YOU that have this deeply entrenched inferiority complex/perpetual low self esteem. Always comparing yourselves to white people and thinking everything your people do is somehow less than or wrong. White man’s ice is colder mentality is too real amongst you all. Good luck with that.

• yallslaves

November 25, 2017 at 1:00 am

Slave. You have probably never been around these white people you worship. They do the same (not that it makes it “better” as I don’t function or reason like a stockholm syndrome-ladden indentured servant). What is so wrong with a lengthy, thoughtful happy birthday message to dear friends? And what on earth does it have to do with race? Nigerians and their low self esteem. Goodness.

3. Holymolly

November 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Lol @ ‘shout out to the chef..jude’… he’s the one deciding that beans cannot go with plantain and jollof can’t with chicken… I pray they sort out their differences. Family is everything!

• O

November 18, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Im sick and tired of how the public has vilified Jude without hearing from both sides. Social media is not real life snd csn be very deceitful.
      Love him or hate him, that guy was very instrumental to the success of psquare.

I can understand if the twins decide to go their separate ways but it does not have to be acrimonious.

Very deep advice from Banky.

4. Tari Taylaur

November 18, 2017 at 11:55 pm

This is a very well thought out and heartfelt piece.
    Watching the P-Square brothers going their separate ways also makes me sad.
    Happy birthday, Peter & Paul Okoye!
    May the God of peace speak over your lives and your families. Amen.

5. Ann

November 19, 2017 at 7:20 am

Great analogy and message Banky. I like the way you have put the message across. The meaning is clear to all.

However Psquare as a group had stayed together for a long time.
    Many of their contemporaries eg remedies, plantation boys, trybesmen have since disbanded.

I know people expected them to stay together forever because of their relationship, but nothing lasts forever. I have been a huge fan of Psquare since the days of mamacita, iyawo mi etc. The break up was bound to happen, sooner or later.

However I feel the break up could have been handled with mutual respect.
    One minute we see a fight online,
    The next minute we see a letter to a Lawyer.
    Now everyone thinks they know everything about them.
    People are going to see Jude and Paul as ‘monsters’ and Peter as a ‘saint’.
    How can you ruin almost two decades of hardwork with such a rash decision?
    I can’t understand.

6. Mamamia

November 19, 2017 at 7:51 am

Saying to myself, What if this was a marketing strategy? But Banky u too talk sometimes. If you have both their numbers, why not send them a text directly? A man that talks too much is a turnoff but susu no mind and that is all that matters.
    P.S that restaurant needs to be closed down who says I can’t eat my beans with plantain? Issa fight break out…

7. James

November 19, 2017 at 8:16 am

@Ann and @O, I understand what you’re saying but not every sees it the way you’ve put it. As a matter of fact, most Psquare fans think of Peter as a traitor for making such a “rash” decision as you put it, but let’s consider some things:

In the music business, the most any manager should make from their client is 25%. 15-20% is the average.

However, if you look at things, Jude has everything the twins have (and who knows maybe more). This isn’t right no matter how much the manager has “sacrificed”. To ask for more is outright manipulation and greed on top say you be family and big brother. Now that they’ve gone their separate ways, let Paul split his money right down the middle with Jude and tell me it doesn’t burn.

Secondly, to the biggest issue. Look at Psquare’s history and you’ll see a steady change in the way things were done. Peter was slowly phased to the background.

You people always say Peter stop coming to talk rubbish on social media. Remain in the group and suffer in silence. I have a brother and I cannot imagine us music together and because I write most of our songs, I’ll make the case that I also must sing 85% of the time with you getting a line or three. Come in guys, that is wrong. Of course they’re having problems now.

If you listen to Paul’s new singles, there really is no difference whether Peter is there or not. Let that sink in. Then you come and attribute all the group’s success to yourself any chance you get with things like you’re the voice, you’re the writer, the hitmaker. You guys see all these things and encourage it forgetting that if you were in Peter’s situation you will want to leave too – family or not.

For Psquare years come back together, Jude must first be willing to humble himself and take less. He can make up his bottom line by working with more artists. He must also accommodate more of Peter’s ideas music wise. You can’t just keep picking from only one side. If a song isnt good enough, Paul can help tweak it but you can’t just throw it in the bin unto say e no dey perfect.

Paul needs to be less selfish and be willing to share the spotlight more regardless of whether he writes most of the songs or not. He must also appreciate Peter more. He is not the talentless guy you guys have made him to feel like all these years.

BTW, Do you guys know that in an interview he said in other words said only he Paul would be successful if they split up? Like seriously who says that? Then you say Peter and his wife are jealous of your twins?? Who does that? Then you call his wife a witch publicly??? Who the eff does that???

Ain’t nobody need to vilify them, they’re doing it themselves just fine.

It would be nice to see them come back together but it just has to be on different terms.

Oh flip! I just wrote an epistle like Banky 😀

8. john

November 19, 2017 at 9:11 am

@james U forgot after all ur epistle that it was peter who started the insultive name calling before Paul snapped…maybe jude was taking more money but is that the reason u should start insulting him publically..that ur his boss and he is ur servant ..that he is a parasite and that you feed him and he shouldn’t talk…You no see that part in your one sided rant

9. James

November 19, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Wasn’t ranting, just stating facts. Peter actually didn’t start it – at least not on social media. It all started long ago when Paul said he was going to name all of Psquare’s songs that he wrote and which were hits. Perhaps they had had a fight behind closed doors or something.

Regarding Peter, I definitely would not handle some things the way Peter has done. Releasing the video of Jude wasn’t necessary. And the part about being a servant Peter actually didn’t use those words so stop.

No one is perfect in this. That wasn’t my point of the write up. The point I was trying to make is that no matter what anyone says, the fact is that Peter has been treated unfairly and the only way they can truly reconcile is if they come to that realization.

You didn’t address the things about Peter being sidelined all these years. Is that one snapping too? If you’ve watched Straight Outta Compton you’ll see that a lot of times when the situation is favorable to you, you don’t see any reason why things have to change.

I don’t hate Paul and love Peter. It would be foolish as they are blood. I do however think that in spite of all Peter’s mishandling of the situation, Paul and Jude laid the foundation for what has now happened.

10. Felinda

November 19, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Banky you talk too much. Ah aha. What man talks so much on social media. Can’t you just call em. All this long Epistle according to Banky W. Kilode?

Ah ah i can’t stand men who talk so much especially on social media, how long did it take you type all that advice? ??.I like men who are low key unassuming who don’t talk too much, but still smart. And got it. Social media attention seekers put me off. Especially men. Banky is slowly becoming one

Happy birthday psquare Simple and short

• Kanyinsola

November 19, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Is it your social mediA handle? Is it your page?! Did he beg or ask you to like him?! Is he your man?!

Mind your business!!! And take a walk! Who asked you your preference in men?! Ma fi lo mi n dasi ?

11. Bismark Okyere

November 19, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Well said my man you do all