News

“No brother in the jungle” – Returnees say Nigerians selling fellow Countrymen in Libya

BellaNaija.com

Nigerians returning from Libya have said their fellow Nigerians were involved in the auctioning off of migrants as slaves, Punch reports.

150 Nigerians, mostly from Edo and Delta states, returning after being stranded in Libya, told Punch that they were being sold by their fellow countrymen.

Odion Saliu, a 26-year-old from Edo State, told Punch she was abducted first by the Arabs, then by a Nigerian, who then sold her. She said:

When I was kidnapped with others and held for some weeks, the Arabs asked if I wanted to be taken to a Nigerian and I readily said yes. I was very happy that I was going to someone from my country. But it was a lie.

The Nigerian they took me to locked me in a cell and told me to call my mother and ask for N60, 000. The man said he would sell me to a connection house if my family did not get the money. I called to inform my mother and the trafficker who facilitated my journey from Nigeria.

But the trafficker spoke with them on the phone and told them the amount they demanded was too small. They increased it to N200, 000. My mother paid into an account after they provided her with the account number over the phone.

The Nigerian said if I wanted to cross the sea, I had to pay him again. But when we got to the seaside, he sold me again.

Sunday Anyaegbunam, who left with his wife, said he was sold twice by Nigerians. He eventually had to pay a ransom to have himself and his wife released. He said:

We were made to contact our families on the phone and I had to ensure the payment of N400, 000 for my release and N300, 000 for my wife.

The Nigerians selling people in Libya are more wicked than many of the Arabs. I have never seen people so heartless as the Nigerians who bought and sold me.

There are many of them in Agadez and Sabha, who are making so much money from selling their own people. But there are other West Africans doing the business too.

When you approach them and say, “Please, my brother, help me.” They would tell you, “No brother in the jungle.”

In a report by The Citizen, the story is the same. Fotsi, a Cameroonian who left his country in search of greener pastures also fell into the hands of Nigerian slave merchants. He said:

There was torture like I’ve never seen. They hit you with wooden bats, with iron bars.

They hang you from the ceiling by (your) arms and legs and then throw you down to the floor. They swing you and throw you against the wall, over and over again, ten times.

They are not human beings. They are the devil personified.

1. jade

December 2, 2017 at 1:59 pm

People are only looking at Libyans.
    Let’s think deeply what Nigerians do to one another.
    We are the most religious, spiritual, church goers in the world yet the most selfish, fraudulent, wicked people. The atrocity we do is appalling.
    I’m glad these things are coming out in the open. So Nigerians can finally see the truth about themselves.

2. Tony

December 2, 2017 at 2:34 pm

I have always said Africans are one of the most selfish, hypocritical and individualistic set of people. This explains the rampant poverty while politicians, church leaders and a whole bunch of others prey on vulnerable citizens. I am not surprised at these reports given what house helps and family members even go through in the hands of family. What more of while looking for money. The advise to these migrants is, please please avoid illegal migration regardless of the circumstance. There is hope and we all need to be creative and build opportunities

3. Becca

December 2, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I said it ooo, they were abusing me online saying never! Like they don’t know know your country people. Now this is confirmed in papers some wicked men will even head to Libya for slave trade business, they already sell their girls in Italy and Spain.
    Even middle class families bid for child labourers and pay the child’s ‘owner’ and people are wondering why like chibok this wasn’t made a big deal until western media picked it up. That it, we trivialise the evil we see around us.
    My heart is so heavy.

4. Anonymous

December 2, 2017 at 3:09 pm

“Charity begins at home”, the Nigerians in Libya exploiting their fellow Nigerians, are simply displaying exactly what we do to ourselves here.

Starting from the heartless and inhumane leaders, to the typical wicked and mean spirited helps in homes.

So, lets all quit pointing fingers and start working on ourselves by becoming better humane beings, first as individuals, then as a community and finally as a nation.

5. Patricia

December 2, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Nigerians are the most evil among all African nations. No evil beats Nigerian. They’ll do anything for money. I’m glad I don’t have your blood in me. I am so glad I’m not Nigerian

• artklub

December 3, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Shut up Patricia! And get lost and enjoy your non-Nigerian-ness elsewhere.

6. Innocent idiong

December 2, 2017 at 4:13 pm

All this are happening because of the our bad leaders in government…. All the same we Nigerian have to keep praying for change

• tunmi

December 2, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Please stop the bad government excuse. Let us be accountable for once!

• Iya ibeji

December 2, 2017 at 4:42 pm

No, the government may contribute to but they cannot be held completely responsible for the evil committed. Our leaders are evil but so are these guys selling people into slavery, baby factory operators, ritualists, kidnappers.
      Remember all Nigerians are affected by bad leaders, so when another decides to worsen this situation for another, that person should be held responsible not the goverment.
      The power to change our situation is in our hands but we are so complacent, used to surviving not living. I just need Nigerians to realise that we can turn things around, esp the young ones.

• Chief

December 3, 2017 at 12:42 am

@Patricia

You are so glad you are not Nigerian????You are just rumbling like a lunatic.I noticed there is a certain measure of exasperation in the tone and verbal when you jealous people speak of Nigerians.Your comment screams hate and jealousy.What is it about Nigeria and Nigerians that vexes you? What did Nigeria and Nigerians do to you to warrant this hostility directed at us? What are the source for this hatred?? We Nigerians have already condemned this barbaric and coonery behavior..We may criticize ourselves as Nigerians,we may complain about the deplorable state of the infrastructures in our country,we may complain about the bad economic landscape or even the asphyxiating political space,yet we are still proud Nigerians.Anyway,to be loved and to be hated is the one the ironies of being a Nigerian.

Hate us or Love us,Nigeria would always be the envy of the African continent…Why are other Africans like you so jealous of Nigerians? Where did this hatred come from? When will all this hate and hostility end??Before you start judging all Nigerians.Get your facts straight and focus on your own country’s problems.Nigeria is obviously very important and relevant to you that’s why you are bothered to write something like this. Anyway i would never be upset when people make hate comment about us,rather i see it as their inferiority issue to handle.Hatred is public demonstration of inferiority complex.I pity your ignorance and despise your hatred towards Nigerians..Thanks

• artklub

December 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm

No more praying! Now’s time for action. You lazy praying person! Get to work.

7. Physio Tinu

December 2, 2017 at 5:32 pm

If Edo/Benin people knew their history they would NEVER allow themselves to be sold and trafficked as mere commodities.

Is it the same people who descend from Jaja of Opobo? And Queen Idia? The same people who carved the great masks with such intricate patterns that when the west saw it they queried if such patterns could emanate from the black man?
    The same Benin people who built the great wall of Benin, which was one of the two man made objects seen from the moon (the 2nd being the wall of China). The same Benin people who were the greatest warriors who defended South-west “Nigeria” and traded with the portuguese on superior terms? Is it the same descendants that are being raped and violated in ordinary Libya? Chai how the mighty are fallen. There is greatness in you and you know it not. Wake up from your slumber, wake up.

• Bibi

December 2, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Benin and Jaja of Opobo ? Go and study History . I don’t know why they stopped that in sec. schools. Stop conjuring up what you don’t know. Jaja of Opobo migrated from Mbaise. Opobo people speak an Igbo dialect called Opobo has absolutely no link to Edo/ Benin history.

• nnenne

December 2, 2017 at 10:18 pm

@ Bibi
      Jaja of Opibo migrated from Amaigbo, Nkwere!

• Didi

December 3, 2017 at 12:01 am

Or maybe this is karma biting them in the arse.

After all the so called Benin Empire and many riverine tribes owed their economic wealth to the transatlantic slave trade. They made a killing selling slaves in other tribes if i recall.

C’est la vie!

• artklub

December 3, 2017 at 2:35 pm

All I know is that the Edos have the best cheek bones in Nigeria, now how can we monetize that in a creative and non-abusive/exploitative way? What happened to the arts? what about Fashion and Beauty?

• Homa

December 3, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Bibi what did you say? O_o please the language spoken in Opobo is VERY different from igbo. The language in Rivers state that has similarities with igbo is ikwerre and even that is like Italian and Spanish

• Jaja

December 4, 2017 at 9:12 am

Nnenne, King Jaja of Opobo migrated from Mbaise.

8. Loki

December 2, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Why do we keep talking like we import our leaders from other countries? Our leaders are bad because our people are bad. You cannot be a bad citizen and become a good leader just because you scammed your way through election. You cannot give what you do not have.

9. nnenne

December 2, 2017 at 6:20 pm

…And the best part is…….No one, I mean, no one leaves this planet with a penny!!!!!
    It’s nothing but dust for dust!!!
    I can’t help but wonder what all these movies are all about!!!!!
    Thank You awesome God for being omniscient. I don’t want to think about what could have happened if we were allowed to leave
    money and properties !!!!!

10. nnenne

December 2, 2017 at 6:22 pm

…allowed to leave with money and properties.

11. Cocoa

December 2, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Nnenne I rejoice with you o! THANK GOD it is dust to dust.

And the argument of MOST RELIGIOUS..MOST CHURCH GOING NATION etc is a void one. Go to church all day long..if you like build your house next door to Church….if the MIND remains UNTRANSFORMED by the Gospel the condition of the HEART will remain the same.

When God found me 4 years ago..i wasn’t even planted in a church. It is in my living room God found me. Then I OPENED MY BIBLE and started to eat my DAILY BREAD..then my mind began to transform….only then did I UNDERSTAND the importance of fellowshiping with other believers..then i started going to CHURCH.

OPEN YOUR BIBLES…READ..EAT AND LET THE LIVING WORD…REFRESH YOU MIND!!!

• Jennietobbie

December 2, 2017 at 8:02 pm

???????????? On that mind renewal, be it education, religion or just exposure. We cannot move forward when the depth of our hearts are filled with envy, jealousy and hate. I read somewhere recently that most people are raised based on survival than love. Love is our answer because I cannot grasp how someone can do this to anyone.

• Fatima

December 4, 2017 at 11:23 am

I wish we could remember that more frequently!!

12. KBM

December 2, 2017 at 8:07 pm

pls someone should furnish us with some details about the video clip that are being circulated in social media on this slave trade in libea. are they real?

13. Mrs chidukane

December 2, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Na today? My husband used to go to China for business years ago. He told me that Nigerians will kill you just to collect your passport and money. He even gave me several instances where people were killed in China by Nigerians because of passport. Guys who came in illegally looking for passport to go back to Nigeria. I am not surprised. We really need a change in mindset.

14. Mrs chidukane

December 2, 2017 at 8:08 pm

*a change of mindset

15. Kkay

December 2, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Once Gadaffi was taken out, Libya became the land of the jackals.
    Most Nigerians are very wicked – they love money and can do anything to get it. A
    lawless country where only the richest and most corrupt get perverted justice and the poor innocent ones are adjudged guilty.
    Pretentious religious people who send one another long prayers on Whatsapp and even wishes like “happy new week or month” but do not hesitate to backstab, kidnap, extort and murder their own blood relations. A DOOMED NATION!

On another note, America see what you turned Libya into. Are you happy now?

• Zeeva

December 3, 2017 at 2:10 pm

America is not entirely at fault. Some rebel groups fully aided America in taking down Ghaddafi because they needed that power vacuum to do more.

Meanwhile, Africa keeps depending on foreign aid for anything. They are not Africa’s elder brothers. Africa is grown and needs to start taking responsibility and being accountable.

16. Lailatu

December 2, 2017 at 11:41 pm

This is really sad. I hope those involved are exposed. If only the victims had known, they would have used the money being paid as ransom to start up some business at home. I know some successful businesses that were started with less.

• artklub

December 3, 2017 at 2:38 pm

They are there because they are looking for short cuts. I know its frustrating in Naija but you not everyone wins the risk taking lottery. Some people have to be victims of this short cut. Modest ambitions maybe in order.

17. vida

December 3, 2017 at 2:02 am

very sad indeed.. but this is an african thing…. Was It not africans who sold their brothers into slavery centuries ago ? I don’t know why we are all shocked… Theres no way africans would be sold and their countrymen won’t be involved.. and I speak as a non nigerian…. Once the journalists ask the slaves of other nationalities it will probably b the same thing..

what a shame.. that people can make money off of a fellow human being in such. gruesome way!

• Dust

December 3, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Africans never sold each other as slaves.
      Africans invented education and had built ships to explore the world, It was those ships they used to get to other continents.
      Africans fought the europeans until an agreement to “abolish slavery” was signed with the colonialists but it wasn’t to abolish slavery it was to ensure passage of raw materials to the ports peacefully for exports, so slavery was never abolish it just transformed to neo-colonialism.

18. Victor Adegoke

December 3, 2017 at 2:17 pm

We are our own problem. This ” Stop slavery in libya” cannot work,when we ” Black Africans are selling our own fellow Blacks” for money. What a shame.

19. Poo

December 4, 2017 at 2:06 am

How pathetic! Nigerians are the most wicked and selfish human you will ever come across. I live in the UK, and if you meet a Nigerian thinking you have found a perfect person to relate to as your own you are in for a shock of your life. Even the so called educated and Christians. They plan evil towards their fellow Nigerians. I use to work in an organisation and when I. First started I met a few Nigerians and I was so happy to get along until they realise I was getting promoted. This hate now started, they will send email to my manager telling her how they feel am not working and just gallivanting around. My manager showed me the emails and said I should treat it as confidential. This were people that will still come and have lunch with me everyday. Nigerians need to change and be true to who they are. They need to care and love one another.