Music

“Get ready to work hard or go home” – DJ Cuppy to Women that wish to enter the Music Industry

BellaNaija.com

DJ Cuppy was interviewed by American media platform Hypebae towards the end of 2017 and her interview with them was quite interesting.

Described as “bringing afro beats to the world”, DJ Cuppy spoke to the magazine about her journey as an afro beats ambassador and being a woman in the music industry.

Read excerpts below.

On women who plan on getting into the music industry: Talent and skill have no gender. Anyone that’s trying to go into anything should have genuine passion for it. My advice to any woman wishing to enter this industry is you need to get ready to work hard or go home. All great things take hard work and when you are a woman, you have to work twice as hard to achieve half as much. Hard work really means knowing your craft. In my case, that meant taking off my acrylic nails and learning to scratch. I even took a course at Scratch Academy in New York and made friends with fellow aspiring DJs. Network is everything and when it comes to DJing, it’s no different. Conjure up that courage and actually speak to or message the DJs you loves. It’s great to shadow someone or even go to gigs. Yes, many late nights, but the hustle will be so worth it when it’s your turn.

On what’s next for her: I would say an EP. I would love to come out with my own strong debut album, amazing records and great collaborations. I really want to show the world what I am made of. I am still on an experimental path but regardless, I want Cuppy to be known as someone that came, shook things up and changed the rules for African women and beyond.

On the club scene in Lagos: For me, Lagos’ club scene is just a pure reflection of that African color, vibrancy and energy. It is different to New York’s in the sense that it’s a cultural thing. You know, it is amazing how Nigerians are so collective, we party for no reason. It is also different because of where we party – in Lagos everywhere is a party. You can make a party in the corner, you can make a party on the beach, you can make a party at the market. All Nigerians need is a bit of good music and they are good to go.

Read the full interview here.

Photo Credit: Hypebae.com

1. Mondela

January 12, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Can this girl stop?

• Chrissy

January 12, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Hater

2. Bolaji

January 12, 2018 at 8:00 pm

oooooo Bella is moderating. How much did she pay?

• Bolaji

January 13, 2018 at 10:53 am

well they both have a nose that says ‘hella work done’

3. Bolaji

January 12, 2018 at 8:00 pm

ps, cuppy, it also helps if daddy is a millionaire as people will take your calls and respond to your messages. Did you get a boob job?

• Ola

January 12, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Yes!! she got body work done same as her sister temi. I’m surprised no one has said anything about it. I guess nigerians only focus their attack on “the nobodies” when they get theirs done.

4. Nkechi

January 12, 2018 at 8:02 pm

BWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA……..Ok.

5. Akara Pancake

January 12, 2018 at 8:39 pm

I am a fan of DJ Cuppy and I hope she goes to achieve great things in her career. Her tune “Green Light” was a very good jam – well produced and catchy, and she is beginning to put dents in the game. More grease to her elbows.

She has a lot of detractors, who bring up her dad’s money at every turn (boring), but it is desire, hardwork and ambition that keeps you at the top.

6. bruno

January 12, 2018 at 9:29 pm

2 dj cuppy posts in one day, bellanaija pls stop. we are tired of her. there is nothing special about her she is just lucky. without daddy’s money she will be a nobody.

what annoys me the most about her is she has refused to acknowledge her privilege.she always talks as if her daddy’s money has nothing to do with her fame and popularity.

• Fizzy

January 13, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Why Evils? When is it a crime for Daddy to be rich? Too muck poverty and negativity on BN nowadays.

7. bruno

January 12, 2018 at 9:30 pm

bellanaija has eaten my comment. lol

8. Jesse

January 12, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Sincerely it pains me when somebody says work hard when she has all the money she needs in this world. And as for you miss cuppy, if your father or your grand parents didn’t work hard you wont have been known today. To all aspiring ladies who wants to go into music, before you think of working hard, be smart, pray for your benefactors, and before you leap make sure you are passionate about your creativity. Don’t hesitate to solicit for help or look for a sponsor, the music industry is all about creativity and money, if you have this 2 forget it, you will give Wizkid, Davido, Tiwa savage and all these big celebs problems

9. NOCUPPY

January 13, 2018 at 12:53 am

My issue is the fact that this girl likes fame a bit too much and wants to hug every limelight she can steal. I mean can she let her other sister who is the original singer in the house get some limelight too?!?! Like really???? She’s a DJ (with no singing voice and collabo’s doesn’t make one a singer) and the other one is a fashion blogger so let big sis (with the real singing voice) have her own w/o you dominating bc you think you can. I know she wants to diversify but because she’s more famous than her other sister, naturally her music was going to get more play than her sis. I don’t know what the family dynamic is in their house and I know their music genre is different but I find it sad to watch the other sis fade into oblivion because Cuppy comes and overshadows her. Just my thought… Learn to share CUPPY!!!

10. King bey

January 13, 2018 at 5:09 am

All these pakos be crying on top cuppy’s life buhahaha no be her fault jare..she was born into a wealthy family and she’s going to fully enjoy the privilege,plus she’s doing well in her career,so what’s with the hate?

• Just thinking

January 13, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Thank you ooooo… see that’s how life is, some are born privileged. To think people that are complaining about her have some form of privileges. At least you have internet to use, thousands don’t… should they hate your life because of that? please let’s grow up and face our own lane

11. memebaby

January 13, 2018 at 8:16 am

..i dont really care about this babe.. i don’t like her auto tuned green light but whatever….look you guys should chill..IT’S HER DADDY’S MONEY…GO AND SPEND YOUR DADDY’S MONEY HOKAY! ..
    I mean..she could have just been some chilled rich kid, shopping, travelling and blogging about god knows what but she’s trying to make this dj and music thing work and thank God for family’s wealth, it helping and she is putting in the work..
    thats all I have today

12. Nene

January 13, 2018 at 10:26 pm

She needs to work really hard because she’s not good at djing. If not for her last name, she wouldn’t get any gigs.

13. Aarefarmland

January 14, 2018 at 7:16 am

She is doing her best with the type of culture nigeria promotes. I can’t hate her hustle. But artists or creative people should also promote creativity and talent. I hope they use their platform to nurture talented and creative ppl with networking and pr.

14. lollly

January 15, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Dj Cuppy no longer wears her signature ankara.