Scoop

“Somewhere, some girl is inspired by your boldness” Read Bovi’s Open Letter to Dorcas Shola Fapson over Taxify Situation

BellaNaija.com

Bovi has shared his two cents on the ongoing situation between actress Dorcas Shola Fapson and a Taxify driver she alleges tried to abduct and rape her.

In an open letter shared on his Instagram page, Bovi encourages Dorcas to keep her chin up and not let the accusations from Nigerians affect her.

He writes to her as a friend that refuses to remain silent “while a section of society bashed you these past few days”

Read his open letter to her below.

Dear Dorcas,

I’m compelled to write you a public letter because I have an overwhelming urge to participate in the public discuss of your recent episode. As a friend, I will feel I failed you by remaining quiet while a section of society bashed you these past few days. But rather than defend you to a group of people who don’t know you personally and who have made up their minds even in the face of overwhelming evidence, allow me to publicly tell you about your experience, what you did right and what you should have done differently.

First off, your biggest crime in all of this was not fitting into the stereotype! You’ve been dragged in many sections for being bold and courageous under fire. While the taxi driver was taken you to a wrong destination, just because your voice was firm and assertive, it seemed as though nothing troubling was happening. While the driver restrained you from coming down from the taxi, you pepper sprayed him and your voice and resolve was still not broken. This too doesn’t fit the stereotype. If it was a scene out of a movie, the director would probably ask you to scream, cry, be shaken and even beg to be let go. In the eyes of many, you were too bold, too calm, too calculated for a lady. To this I say a big kudos. Don’t stop. Don’t change. Because the fact remains, as far as he took you to a destination against your will in the middle of the night, you were abducted. That is a crime punishable by law.
Somewhere, some girl is inspired by your boldness.

Next time though, it will be wiser to get down from the car as quickly as possible. Do not take chances or hesitate. Safety first should be your watch word. Cynthia hesitated in festac. It didn’t end well.

If you had a PR expert by your side the next day, just before you posted those videos explaining what actually transpired, he/she would have worn you a very thick cardigan and wrapped you in a blanket. You would have been asked to speak in a “victim tone”. All this would have been channeled to swing the narrative in your favor. Kudos to you, you weren’t trying to milk the situation, neither were you thinking of the mileage those videos will accumulate. You see, perception is reality and in these parts, your outfit together with your still firm and assertive tone is synonymous with “troublesome girl” “ashawo” “runs”. Pictures speak louder than words. On this issue I think what you should have done differently was to change the outfit. But keep the assertive tone. When I was in Uni my dean of students took one look at me and concluded I was part of a bad gang. In reality I was just broke, hungry, angry and ugly. That’s the power of perception.

We live in a society where women are not encouraged to live in big houses as single ladies so that they don’t scare suitors away. This is basically catering to bloated egos while benching our women. It is a shame but that is our reality. I know you are miffed at the accusations leveled against you. Never let such bother you. Truth is, those who judged and condemned you don’t really hate you. A good majority of them hate themselves. They are filled with hate and they can only give what they have; hate! So understand that it’s never really about you. It’s nothing personal actually.

We are with you. Learn and keep growing. Stay strong and succeed. See you at work.

Bovi

1. Amaa

January 29, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Her crime, she was not melodramatic or portraying the typical damsel in distress image. Sadly this is why people don’t speak up . Did she have to be raped on camera for people to believe.

Fact one she was taken to a wrong destination and and she felt threatened. Fact two driver acted aggressively which lead to her recording him. Fact 3 he came into her personal space and threatened her hence the pepper spray on his face .

I want to see how this plays out because there was obviously from the video an inappropriate unprofessional conduct on the part of the driver .

• Damilola

January 30, 2018 at 10:39 am

@Amaa So true
      Dorcas felt threatened based on the driver’s action, anything could have happened that night. What was the driver’s intention when he drove her to the wrong destination and then be aggressive? These are leading factors to many atrocities committed every day. And none of these perpetrators verbalize their true intention until the act is done. When you see red flags, say something don’t wait till last minute. Nigeria’s lack of security has opened doors to so many evil and wicked acts that are often brushed under the carpet. The fear of people’s opinion has led to silent killers and silent deaths. When you keep quiet, you are just as guilty as the person carrying out the evil act. And if you do things based on typical Nigerian mindset, you will live in bondage and normalize problematic things.

Thank you, Dorcas for speaking up for yourself and raising awareness whether people believe you or not. You know how you felt, stick to it. Nigerians prefer when one cries helplessly, be dramatic, complain than to take proper action.
      Thank you, Bovi for speaking up for your friend. Many Nigerians suffer from cognitive dissonance hence their emphasis on making you who you are today which has nothing to do with coming in defense for your friend

2. XO

January 29, 2018 at 2:16 pm

God bless Bovi, man wey sabi!

God bless you Bovi!!

3. Engoz

January 29, 2018 at 2:32 pm

If they ‘sue’ you Shola, Counter freaking sue for assault and attempted abduction. What caused the disagreement is debatable, but the fact that he drove you to his house and we could hear you say in the video you have told him to stop the trip, holds more gravity.
    Even tribalism and it’s tribal slaves manage enter the discussion. All of a sudden, speaking “Yoruba” was so scary, that the man drove a ‘ritualist’ to his house. Rubbish.

4. Engoz

January 29, 2018 at 2:48 pm

“your biggest crime in all of this was not fitting into the stereotype!”

Absolutely Bovi.

“If you had a PR expert by your side the next day, just before you posted those videos explaining what actually transpired, he/she would have worn you a very thick cardigan and wrapped you in a blanket.”

I actually thought she didn’t appear as a victim, which was good but was not assertive enough and somehow unserious in the video. Nigerian women need to learn how to defend themselves well. Always come gun blazing. If they give you one, give them double for their trouble, lmao.

5. Tasmea

January 29, 2018 at 3:14 pm

I finally decided to watch the video and I was literally scared for her! I think she’s quite bold! At that time of the night in that country, omo I can’t. The driver has no case! His intentions might not have been kidnap or whatever but all his actions point to it. I’m really sorry for what happened to you Shola. I just can’t with people. I actually hesitated to comment on this case because I thought it was a he said she said case but seeing the video, hot damn, she definitely is justified to have felt threatened and at risk for her life. Plus he had ended the trip which means there won’t be any trace of him being the last person with her that night so he could have done and undone. If he hadn’t already ended the trip, I might have ruled out any malicious intent but all the evidence is pointing to that. Yeah this is an issue for the courts.

6. Ec

January 29, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Bovi smart man. Nigeria wanted a typical melodramatic crying damsel. Not a woman that is sure of herself.

After all this I thought about myself. What if as a young lady that uses taxify often I am now taken to an unknown address at night. I will think the worst.

7. Hypocrisy

January 29, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Why are all these celebrities trying hard to queue behind one of their own even when it is obvious she’s a blatant liar? They want to queue behind their kind, yet they criticize Nigerians for supporting their own who is a commoner like them. HYPOCRICY.Look at the way this stupid comedian is calling people hate-filled just for rejecting her lies. He forgot that those hate-filled people supported him to get to where he is today. Suddenly they’ve become trash who should be walked on and accept every bullpoo just cos it’s coming from

• seriously

January 30, 2018 at 9:53 am

Explain how she’s a blatant liar? How is it hypocrisy if another celebrity decides to speak up and support their friend, what is wrong in that? why don’t you queue behind your non celebrity friends. Kidnapping, money ritual, rape, sexual assault/harrassment is prevalent in Nigeria. The video doesn’t have to show her being raped before she raises an alarm. Unfortunately, if there’s a video of rape, same idiots will also not believe it and blame her. Nigerians love and are accustomed to dysfunctional behaviors. So, because she wasn’t shouting loud, fighting, insulting, extra dramatic, super aggressive it means she’s lying. I am baffled and disappointed with Nigerian youth and their thought process. They are not any different from the leaders they insult every day. Just to think of the lack of security in Nigeria presents the case that anything can happen and nothing has been done in many of these evil cases.
      Well, I’ve said it several times, Nigerians deserve the leaders they have because most of them themselves are piece of s#it.

8. Bia

January 29, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Asslicker!!It’s better to stay quiet than to come out in the public to be pathetically biased just because”she’s my friend”…look at his mouth” somewhere, some girl is inspired by your boldness”..I wish that dorcas of a girl will met a real rapist and kidnapper , then she go no say khaki no be leather.

• bey

January 29, 2018 at 9:32 pm

What you wish Dorcas I also wish you in.a thousand folds.

• Dunder

January 30, 2018 at 12:40 am

You wishing rape on someone does not signal an overflow of love. If you feel the lady is lying, lay down your argument. All humans have orifices we would not want forcibly penetrated.

• Kg

January 30, 2018 at 5:16 am

Really you wish a fellow human being that let leave woman aside first of all, God will punish you in a thousand fold u will know no peace un Jesus name amen

• seriously

January 30, 2018 at 4:26 pm

You are sick. Women are their own problem. So, you are wishing another lady will meet a “real rapist’? If you don’t believe her story, it’s okay. My problem is the fact that she’s getting so much hate and personal attack for saying her story like it’s far from what can happen in Nigeria

9. Bia

January 29, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Well i still won’t believe the girl story. Someone want to rape you and you still have the mind to sit and keep his car keys .Story for the gods

• TEST

January 29, 2018 at 3:57 pm

YOU ARE A FOOL.

10. Bee

January 29, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Thank you Bovi, many comments i saw broke my heart as i see Nigerians think in one direction and feel she should look worn out and moody like she just lost someone. its really sad, and these are supposed to be d leaders of tomorrow..

11. Chibaby

January 29, 2018 at 4:56 pm

There are three sides to every story. My version, your version and the truth. The truth is that everyone narrates the version of the story that paints them in the best light. This is where law enforcement should come in, investigate and actually discover what transpired that night. But na Naija we dey! Social media justice holds no water. The facts we have now are purely ‘he said-she said’. All this social media stone throwing, without knowing what truly happened, is simply premature.

12. John Matilda

January 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I have said it before, the driver is a lying piece of s—. I watched the whole thing… Kudos to DSF

13. Writer

January 29, 2018 at 5:04 pm

So I’m sitting at my work desk bored out of my mind cause its a really slow morning and I’m still not over the race at which I got to work Woke up at 8:56 am for a 9 am shift and for a second I couldn’t figure out if I was still on Earth. The same thing happened last Wednesday and this is me again brushing my teeth and telling myself that I need to do better with not sleeping off without a set alarm. Anyways me, myself and I are at this work desk trying to decide if I should study or do homework but my stomach tells me it has no food in it, my face tells me I still have sleep lines on and my brain tells me its still sleeping so I decide to just watch Youtube Vlogs and Scroll through Bellanaija. What a lazy way to start a week.

Scrolling through BN, I’m searching for a post on how Jay-z didn’t win any Grammy award but then I come across a letter by Bovi to Dorcas-Fapson on the entire Taxify Drama that went on days prior. So when I initially came across this story, the one thing strengthened in my mind was the hesitation I had with taking Uber or in this case Taxify taxis late at night. Even in this US of A, the hesitation is stronger. I make sure I’m on the phone with a friend any time I enter an Uber. The last time I took one to a bus station was to travel out of state and immediately I entered the guys’ car, I was enveloped with the smell of weed + cigarette and air freshener. Yeah, I could at that point vow never to take an uBER again but that’s not realistic as I may not always have a car wherever I go. So I read her story and sympathized with her and hoped the culprit was caught and brought to justice. Then his side of the story hit the internet and I must be honest I got confused as anyone should (before she released a video). I felt bad that I didn’t completely believe her anymore but then in that moment I caught myself and said “I wasn’t there, I’m not God to know the exact details so in commenting on this story I hope the truth and lies are brought to light and the guy is prosecuted if he is indeed guilty and vindicated if he is not. If this happened to a friend of mine whose character I knew to a good extent, I would definitely have more ground to believe and bold support her so I understand the people in the industry that know her and have chosen to support or not support her. What I don’t understand are people coming on social media and killing themselves over what they “think” is the truth. It’s even more disturbing how people are being very insulting and insensitive to both parties. Granted, there are laps in each story and maybe even pieces of evidence that could help direct your stance but at the end of the day. YOU WERE NOT THERE. This, however, does not mean you shouldn’t bring awareness to the situation but I really believe you can do that without being insulting and insensitive. Opinions: Everyone has them, it is a shame we have become a people who share ours out of the darkest places of our hearts especially in cases where we do not have true facts to support our stance. I’m not trying to write an academic paper here but an opposition would ask if I have the same stance on opinions about rapists, terrorists or even domestic abusers. Heck no, you know why? Because they have been caught and there are pieces of evidence to show that they are guilty so I believe the anger and frustration in your words are somewhat justified but then again this is my opinion…whats yours?

At this moment I realize there are holes in the argument I just made. in fact, it starts with me saying “YOU were not there” ( as if I did not watch the video)
    Am I encouraging people to not speak up when they don’t have evidence? Especially when they are legit in a terrible situation such as emotional or even physical abuse
    Am I encouraging social media judges to only fully support people who have evidence to support their case
    Am I saying people are justified to insult and tear down convicted criminals (99.9% of me believes this should be right)

But the point is before I validate my argument as so academic and correct in my mind, I need to do more thinking; something we hardly do these days before we tear down people on social media. So scrap my argument above as I may or may not have an opinion “to share” in this matter but accept the take-home message of thinking thoroughly before tearing people down. You never know where you could be tomorrow in need of people to sympathize with your situation. You just never know.

14. Dolly

January 29, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Wow did Bovi really write this, coz he might just consider a 2nd job…PR
    Well written and straight to the point, I agree with all he wrote esp. the part she didn’t fit into the stereotype by being shaken and a lil melo-dramatic in her narrative. Unfortunately that’s how the world judge us all, perception.

However i didn’t comment on this issue for same reason, the video’s/ narrative weren’t convincing enough for the lead alleged accusation, RAPE (a sensitive word we have to be careful throwing about).
    If she took a minute to analyze the videos, the drivers act and her own reaction maybe, just MAYBE she could have instead accused him of;

-Suspicion of kidnap ;-Driver drove her to a wrong destination at such ungodly hour, being a lady with news of kidnap everywhere in the country

– Harassment, aggravated assault and battery ;- Driver got aggressive, threatening and eventually put hands on her in the struggle to get his car key after driving her to unknown destination.

-Trauma and emotional distress;- The fear of what could happen next (which could be anything from kidnap, ritual or even rape, but unknown) hits her hence the defense mode which explains her survival yet assertive retort to the driver and use of pepper spray.

See this would have changed the tone of how this incident turned out without people scrutinizing the video’s for proof of intent of rape from the driver coz to be frank, based on those videos, there was none.

15. Laura Ketema

January 29, 2018 at 6:55 pm

THanks bovi for speaking up inspite of all the backlash u know u will receive from many insensitive souls. I applaud you because you are a true friend. As the old adage goes, “You will know a true friend when trouble hits” . You showed how reliable you are and for that I thank you for being a deviation of the norm in a country where patriarchy freely reigns. I am truly shocked that DSF’s friends haven’t said anything. But I am not too shocked because that’s exactly what happened during DavidO’s incident . All of his friends kept quiet like they were waiting for his downfall all along. Do you know what a write up about his selfless and loving character would have done to subside the hatred he received. This has truly shown that DSF truly has no friend because I bet bovi isn’t really a close friend. Where is Wizkid? Do you know how powerful a message from WiZkid would have been. Basically, do you know how many women will be empowered to reveal their sexual assaulters if some one like wiz kid or Davido condemns this Taxi driver’s behavior. No matter what people say, the Taxi clearly had a malicious Intent. No man will struggle with a helpless woman for his car key when took her to an unknown location . Please Nigerians your celebrities have the power to dismantle patriarchy if they chime in when necessary. Where is tonto dikeh and her women rights team?

16. Disguised

January 29, 2018 at 7:20 pm

I watched the video and I thought to myself, if I moved back to nig like she did, I will not be using any kind of taxi oo Uber by that time. No way!!!!

Secondly if she felt scared, first reaction would be to jump out of the car with the guy instead of reaching to collect his keys. Haba u reached to collect keys next thing na to jump out na.

I have been in a one chance suituation and I yanked open the door making the driver to stop the car. As he was stopping the car I was jumping out. Thank God it was day time and In front of small mama put shop. I was shaken and fell sick immediately I got home.

She had the strength to wear what she worn to make video next day with full makeup. For that I say if it happened her way, she is a very strong and brave woman.

PS: ladies pls get someone reliable to drive you home when u stay out late pls don’t put yourself in a compromising state.

17. anon

January 29, 2018 at 7:25 pm

I don’t know what transpired because i wasn’t there but i know from experience that children who grew up in London react differently in certain situations compared to your average Nigerian; they don’t readily show fear. Maybe that’s why people feel she was too calm and collected. Don’t forget she didn’t grow up in Lagos.

• Anon

January 29, 2018 at 9:04 pm

You r an odiot…What careless talk is this?Haunty how do they react differently? Let her see a real rapistt/kidnapper and let me see if she will still act differently…Babe is a liar ho ha.

18. Funmi

January 29, 2018 at 8:23 pm

God bless you @anon. UK children are taught self-defence to some extent

19. Story

January 29, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Next please. We are tired already

20. Jesse

January 29, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Yea…Bovi is making much sense with these write-ups, trust haters they just want to do their thing and DSF has the right to defend her self.

21. Weezy

January 29, 2018 at 10:09 pm

This guy is confused. First he tells Dorcas “never change!” And in the next breath, he says you should have changed your outfit B4 the video, you should have come down from the car. She would have to change to follow your unsolicited advice. So what are you saying?

‘Celebrities’ and logic are like water and oil.

• Wifematerial

January 29, 2018 at 11:36 pm

READ AGAIN THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE SARCASM IN BOVI LETTER………HOPE THAT HELP READ AND ASSIMILATE.

• slice

January 30, 2018 at 3:14 am

It’s called sarcasm

22. Anonymous

January 30, 2018 at 2:46 am

I really need to stop reading some of y’all’s comments on this issue. It’s not good for my mental health, Seeing the amount of likes on such ignorant comments is even more troubling, Maybe y’all need to be put in such a situation as DSF was so you can show us the “right way to react” since her reaction was not satisfactory. Awesome piece by Bovi. Couldn’t have said it any better.