Scoop

Dior meets Nigerian Fashion! Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie covers New Issue of L’Officiel Italia

BellaNaija.com

Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is the cover star of the new issue of L’Officiel Italia and we are totally loving the fab editorial where the 40-year-old icon rocked several Nigerian brands.

Alongside outfits from Dior, she rocked outfits from Fashpa, Nkwo and The Lady Maker.

The issue marks L’Officiel Italia’s 5th anniversary.

Read excerpts of her interview below.

On her commercialization of feminism: Some purists criticized me because they feared the commercialization of feminism. I understand the criticism, but I do not agree with it: the goal of feminism is to create justice in the world. To succeed, our message must reach as many people as possible.

On her love for fashion: I’ve always loved clothes, high heels, lipsticks. When I started writing, however, I hid this side, because the world can be very intolerant of intellectually engaged women. I felt compelled to dress like a serious writer, not as I liked it. Now that I have nothing more to prove, I’m happy to talk about my passion for style: it’s a way to affirm the right to have a multifaceted personality.

On gender disparity in Nigeria: In Nigeria, gender disparity is more explicit in the thinner United States. I do not think that one form is better than the other because, in the second case, often misogyny is still present but only becomes more difficult to prove. And the situation worsens with age: while in Nigeria the elderly still enjoy a certain respect, in America the aging woman discounts the sum of both negative factors.

On the change and awareness of sexism: Especially in Africa, I notice that the attitude of many women is changing. This means progress for me. I dream of inventing a pink pill that makes all feminists instantly. Seriously, the complexity of the challenge is not a good reason to give up, on the contrary. We must address it by focusing on incremental improvements, not hoping to change the world from morning to night.

Read more here.

Photo Credit: L’Officiel Italia

1. moi

February 1, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Chimamanda is a beautiful woman, but these pictures don’t sit well rara

2. Weezy

February 1, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Terrible photos, and the clothes are too matronly.

• Mz_Danielz

February 1, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Asin eh, if we talk now they say it’s haute couture, fashion forward, fresh ati be be lo.

To each his own

• seriously

February 2, 2018 at 4:25 pm

That’s the main point. She’s selling that women don’t have to wear tight fitting dresses, “trendy outfits” to be beautiful. And if you notice most of these designers are men, so they dictate what they feel will look good on women. From makeup to shoes, it’s still controlled by men.
      So a woman can be covered up, wear a wrapper, whatever and still be beautiful and sexy.

3. Mime

February 1, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Ghastly!

4. Engoz

February 1, 2018 at 8:51 pm

I hate the make up and the clothes. Seems House of Malik took over L’Officiel Italia.

5. Ada_ugo

February 1, 2018 at 11:20 pm

this woman no dey tire with all her big big grammar – just hit a button and she starts giving you a full spiel on westernisation, africanism, feminism, and any other -ism that catches her fancy. Her consistency is impressive.

• Anon

February 2, 2018 at 12:12 am

A+ for the use of spiel. LOL!

6. tobi

February 2, 2018 at 12:33 am

A new and much welcomed addition to the common monotonous narrative of women everywhere specially my nigerian instagram graduates: now repeat after me, i can keep my clothes on, command international attention, and earn millions.

7. You

February 2, 2018 at 12:40 am

Who dressed her a maid. Hian!!!
    Why?????

• Olu

February 2, 2018 at 10:16 am

No just a person with brains. Pick up a copy of vogue and change your narrative.

8. Olu

February 2, 2018 at 8:38 am

This kinda woman challenges a brotha to up his game!!!!!!. Mehhhh she puts the efficacy back into Sexy.

9. Ephi

February 2, 2018 at 8:52 am

In a country where so many Nigerian / black women are seen as prostitutes, I am glad Chimamanda is changing the narrative, it’s so refreshing.

10. sade

February 2, 2018 at 10:22 am

She commands more attention with her clothes on and intellect on display than most empty vessels handing their dignity out there for all eyes. Last time i checked she got a good man by herside too.

11. Naturallyziny

February 2, 2018 at 1:17 pm

CNA is certainly more beautiful than this. these pics are not good at all. and these clothes? Are they for some kind of theme or what?

12. Mrs chidukane

February 2, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Horrible clothes and pictures. They did my baby wrong.

13. sibongele

February 2, 2018 at 4:33 pm

The memo was to create an eclectic style with an african theme. You know like hippy, bohemian etc. Way to deep for our simple minds. But yet again she finds her. style front of a major international fashion mag not bellaasobi were all the styles end in a fish tail ?and not on any significant fashion week runways. We got a long way to go.

• Bade

February 5, 2018 at 1:13 pm

“where all the styles end in a fishtail” Bwahahaha #Dead but so true. We lack ingenuity in this Nigeria I swear.

14. sidney

February 2, 2018 at 5:29 pm

I just love the way she shows the versatility of the African fabric to the rest of the world. Yeap African fabric can be up market haute couture as well as high street fashion tinz.

15. Weezy

February 2, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Come on people. You are Nigerians!! Are you telling me this is how to dress modestly? Wearing a baggy black coat with no waist definition, and with umbrella sleeves? White blocky shoes with a gray work dress, plus cheap ankara headwrap? Most Nigerian women in their 30s and 40s dress modestly, yet for some reason they are able to still kill it. Isn’t this the same Chimamanda that says she loves fashion and lipstick? Are we forgetting about all of that? Michelle Obama who ALWAYS dressed modestly, you think she would be caught dead in the 2nd to the last photo.

I quote you the article CNA herself wrote just FOUR months ago in the Financial Times (UK):

” My greatest gripe was with the word “modest”, used to describe clothes for what they were not — short or body-baring — rather than for what they were. “Modest” brought a moral, frumpy taint to what was often an aesthetic choice. I loved midi lengths because I found them sexy, sleeves because they were more flattering, higher necklines for their air of confident chic.”

Its like sycophancy is in our water. Explain to me what is confident chic about Photo 1 and 2.

16. NG

February 3, 2018 at 5:17 pm

CNA pls dress to help sell our clothes to the int’l market. These clothes don’t do it o .