Music

“Nothing comes easy when you are a young, Black female DJ from the African continent” – DJ Cuppy in PAPER Magazine

BellaNaija.com

"Nothing comes easy when you are a young, Black female DJ from the African continent" - DJ Cuppy on PAPER Magazine

Nigeria’s very own DJ Cuppy has been steady making upward moves for a while now and she bared it all on this recent interview with PAPER Magazine.

Speaking to Beatrice Hazelhurst, she revealed that it is quite difficult to make it as a black female DJ and to top it off, being an African.

Read excerpts from the interview below:

On how she built up her profile:

I definitely always felt like a true creative. Growing up in Lagos, one of the most colorful, cultural and dynamic environments in the world, really inspired me to express myself in different ways. There’s a lot of male dominants [in the Nigerian industry], and a lot of quantity over quality. So it’s hard to push through as a female DJ. We also come from a society that is quite ageist, so being young and DJing as a teenager, a lot of doors were closed. But through hard-work, passion and determination, here I am today proudly dominating as one of not only the country’s, but the continent’s leading female DJs.

On how fame has been for her:

Fame has been interesting. I have never considered myself someone that cares about it. I feel like it’s a byproduct of being talented and in the public eye. I have grown up under the shadow of a successful father, so I always had a certain amount of pressure and attention on me. That definitely has helped me cope well. But yes, it is weird when I am in traffic in Lagos and I see myself on a billboard or I walk into a coffee shop and they are playing my song. It is always very exciting. Life in Lagos is very different from everywhere else — Lagos is so big yet so small. It’s nice feeling that African warmth.

On memorable moments in her career:

When we look at moments in my life and landmarks as far as where deejaying has taken me, winning New York University’s 2017 Alumni Artistic Achievement Award is a moment I will never forget. There is nothing better than your passion, something I would do anyway, becoming a skill, profession, and reason to be awarded for. It was a beautiful moment.

On being taken seriously as a female DJ:

Yes, nothing comes easy when you are a young, Black female DJ from the African continent. I have learned to use my uniqueness as my strength, and I think it is fantastic how suddenly the world seems to be celebrating uniqueness and diversity. There will be prejudice and assumptions made, but I always let my work speak for itself.

On setbacks in her career:

I went through a phase where I was a bit lost in my sound. This was before Afro beats was appreciated and recognized on a global level. I used to play it and my clients would hate it, and I struggled. Now Afrobeat is getting the attention it deserves; I couldn’t be more proud to be associated with the genre.

1. LOL

February 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm

I will just wait for the comments LOL. Take a deep breath everyone.

2. oluwabunmi

February 28, 2018 at 8:43 pm

cuppy baby that’s all I will say

3. AMA

February 28, 2018 at 8:54 pm

This babe sha trying forever to make her hustle seem hard #Sigh. Is it by force???

4. Oriana

February 28, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Yes yes yes Cuppy we know, life is really hard and you are one rugged hustler who has scratched, sweated, cried and begged to pursue your passion which is being a DJ and to get to where you are. You are an inspiration and the average African girl can relate. More power to you.

5. Toyin

February 28, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Abeg this girl shld go and sit down, this her in ur face attitude is getting way too much. Accept u who r and accept u r where u are due to priviledge, not hustle

6. Becca

February 28, 2018 at 9:51 pm

She’s lucky she’s been able to buy publicity for herself. She isnt as good as she thinks she is. Simple as.

7. Moniker

March 1, 2018 at 11:15 am

My people will never disappoint me.

• Olulu

March 1, 2018 at 2:54 pm

lmao

8. Aare farmland

March 1, 2018 at 2:10 pm

cuppy just do what feels right and make you happy, she may need a good pr assistant though.

9. Mrs chidukane

March 1, 2018 at 3:11 pm

She’s pretty, very respectful , has a nice figure and a pretty face. I like her. However, I don’t know her as a DJ or any of her music. She should book Big Brother Naija. Let her prove her mettle in front of the whole naija. It will help her career.

10. Ese V

March 2, 2018 at 4:05 am

A better narrative would have been the hustle to prove herself as a true creative in spite of privilidge and her father’s wealth. You can’t deny she has worked hard and been consistent in this “I am a DJ” waka of hers.
    Some of y’all comments are just bitchy, by the way!

11. justbillionairekidstinzzz

March 14, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Billionaire Otedola’s daughter if you are talking this DJ thing seriously and not using it a extracurricular activity till you marry and become another wealthy mans wealthy wife quietly in the other room never to be seen again except in public events …then

Look up Samantha Ronson, wealthy family played a role but her work spoke for itself. Being a lesbian didn’t even help, again her work spoke for itself. She didn’t seek publicity upandan. She dated Lohan but the kind of publicity that one brought was more of a set back, just like her sexuality. Infact She left Lindsay Lohan when that one seemed to be a negativepublicity magnet, amongst othe reasons.

If you are still determined to do fuffy odd things so as to be different from dad, please study whatever the heck gywenth palthrow (pardon my spelling) is doing. Its not the acting bit. she is a certain kind of influencer and She is making mulla from it so its worth checking out