News

What would you do if your Girlfriend sabotages your $50,000-a-year Scholarship? Here’s Eric Abramovitz’ story

BellaNaija.com

Girlfriend sabotages Man's $50,000-a-year Scholarship because he would "be elsewhere" | BellaNaija

Eric Abramovitz was a student at the Colburn Conservatory of Music in Los Angeles when his girlfriend at the time almost jeopardized his future.

According to the Montreal Gazette, he had applied for a full two-year scholarship to complete his bachelor’s degree. The scholarship includes tuition, accommodation, and money for meals and other expenses.

Yehuda Gilad, known as one of the best clarinet teachers in the world, would have been his teacher had he been accepted.

Only 2 of several applicants are accepted, and an acceptance basically guarantees a high-paying symphony career after graduation.

Abramovitz was accepted.

His girlfriend at the time, Jennifer Lee, deleted his acceptance mail.

She created a new email address pretending to be Gilad and sent a mail to Abramovitz telling him he had not been accepted for the scholarship.

However, much later, Abramovitz discovered the scheme.

He had another audition with Gilad, who asked the strange question, “Why did you reject me?”

He had been confused, and asked Gilad in return, “Why did you reject me?”

He later forwarded the rejection mail he had received to Gilad, who said: “I’ve never seen that in my life.”

A little digging revealed who was behind the mail: his ex-girlfriend, Jennifer.

He sued Jennifer for $300,000 for general damages. The court added $50,000 “against Ms. Lee for her despicable interference in Mr. Abramovitz’s career.”

Let’s imagine for a moment this was your life, and this was your girlfriend (or boyfriend). What would you do?

Photo Credit: Montreal Gazette

1. omomo

June 15, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Ekwensu’s daughter

2. John

June 15, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Men are scum

• Olori

June 15, 2018 at 11:43 pm

lol I see what you did here. John the troublemaker ???

• akama

June 16, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Yes, some men can be scum, but that has nothing to do with this story.

3. Mamamia

June 15, 2018 at 11:16 pm

??‍♀️ When your middle name is heartless…

4. BlueEyed

June 16, 2018 at 7:36 am

What in Witchcraft’s name is this? One core trait of love is wanting to see the other person genuinely happy and successful. Infact by doing so you are also protecting your own future, I don’t understand how these kids use today to jeopardize tomorrow. It’s baffling!

• Iyke

June 16, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I agree!!
      Question – if your bf whom you love so dearly falls out of love with you and moves on, whould you genuinely wish him well?
      I asked this question because I have noticed that Nigerian ladies find it very very difficult to move on after a breakup without throwing tantrums and curses especially when their expectations aren’t met.

• Elle

June 16, 2018 at 12:27 pm

But why set expectations which you do not plan to meet?

• Iyke

June 16, 2018 at 3:12 pm

It is always your right (wo/man) to change your mind…if it is not working out for you or if you aren’t fulfilled,it’s your right to take break/walk away from it, embrace it/live with it or change it.
      My issue is that it seems ok for ladies to change their minds and act as if it’s not a big deal.
      We suck it up as men and move on.
      But naija ladies, especially those seeking committment, find it so hard to move on if their own expectations aren’t met.They resort to ‘after all I have done for you’ rants, curses, anger, vindictiveness et al.
      How can you heal if you are still stuck in the pains of the past?
      It’s scary to be a man in Nigeria these days to be honest….

5. Elle

June 16, 2018 at 12:28 pm

BN, what’s going on with the reply comment button? I replied iyke but my comment was posted as a stand alone, it’s been this way for a few days now..

• yinka

June 16, 2018 at 7:04 pm

whose fault is it if u have your head in the clouds.? or do you let other people define your expectations.

• yinka

June 16, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Whose fault is it if your head is in the clouds and u have unrealistic expectations?,

6. OA

June 18, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Two things here:
    1). The boy has a sense of entitlement. Asking “why did you reject me?” However, in a way, it’s a good thing he did ask,
    2). The girl is a witch! This is modernized, corporate witchcraft. See how she wan modify the boy’s destiny!

Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t slap her with a much higher amount in punitive damages. Whether she can pay or not should not matter, it’s the egregiousness of the crime that should dictate. God will help us oh!

• Manny

June 19, 2018 at 5:20 am

It was actually Gilad that asked that question so no, there is no sense of entitlement here.
      In response to that question, Eric answered “With all due respect, I believe you rejected me,”

7. Tatafo!

June 19, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Wow! She also faked him rejecting an offer to Juliard. If that’s not a devil and stealer of destiny…
    Good for him that he was able to find this out. What a wicked soul! All because she didn’t want him to leave and after all that, they still broke up.
    I’m weak

8. OA

June 19, 2018 at 9:47 pm

@Manny: Thanks for the heads up! It crossed my mind that Gilad might have been the one who asked, but it did not seem so after re-reading (glanced over it for just a few seconds). My bad for calling the poor guy out for doing nothing wrong.