Music

The DJ Cuppy Statement on Feminism that’s Got People Talking | WATCH

DJ Cuppy

DJ Cuppy‘s comments on why she stopped considering herself a feminist has got Nigerians on social media talking.

In an interview on City Fm‘s City Cafe, she said:

“I used to consider myself a feminist until I realised that I didn’t really understand it… I don’t like people that are hypocrites. People that are out there talking about women’s rights and women’s issues but behind closed doors, are doing crazy things.”

“I’m in a male-dominated industry. I deal with men on a day to day basis; they’re always going to think they’re better than women,” she added.

She said she doesn’t think talking about the issues women face alone is going to solve them.

“If we go around as women, trying to change the way men think, we’re going to tire ourselves out,” she says, adding that women should not focus on “changing the way men think about us” but focus on “our own energy, our own selves, and achieving our own goals”.

She said she thinks it’s important to talk about issues women are facing, but added that devoting one’s energy to one thing makes limits available energy for anther.

She wants women to go out and achieve their goals.

Watch video and share your thoughts:

1. Olori

August 30, 2018 at 2:54 pm

BN please where’s the self care article??? It’s missing ???

2. Marsala

August 30, 2018 at 3:08 pm

I completely agree with everything she’s said. Instead of changing how they think, focus on your energy and doing right. But trust awon “superiors” that will attack and try to impose their views.

3. Tumininu

August 30, 2018 at 3:50 pm

She is totally right focus on achieving your goals.

4. Engoz

August 30, 2018 at 4:27 pm

I wish she expanded on what she meant by behind closed doors, “they are doing crazy things.” I don’t trust Nigerian women that say they are feminist either. It was on this same BN, people said they’re feminists and they expect the man to to be the primary provider. So e make sense make una un-identify as feminists. I support it 100%. a lot of Nigerian women want the women rights, but don’t wanna pay bills, Lmao! I don’t think I have wasted my breath trying to change how men think. I only just return to the grave. any Nigerian he-goat that thinks he has the effrontery to intimidate womanhood or justify and rationalize harmful practices on women. Daz all. I sincerely hope there are no delusions of grandeur, lmao.

• Ada

August 30, 2018 at 5:06 pm

So… I just wanna understand something. Because a woman says she would prefer her husband to be the breadwinner, she doesn’t deserve the same basic human rights a man has, i.e,equal rights?

• Engoz

August 30, 2018 at 6:20 pm

No I say don’t call yaself a feminist. It is intellectually fraudulent and contradictory. You question is the REASON detractors of feminism discredit the movement, hence the talk of feminists as hypocrites. Rights come with responsibilities! If you want equal rights you would need to take on equal responsibilities. So call yourself something else, NOT and never a feminist.

• Afe

August 30, 2018 at 6:46 pm

She certainly does deserve the same basic human rights (equal rights) to men, nothing and no one can take that away from any human being as they are your “inalienable rights”. However, I would advise such a woman to deeply examine why she prefers the man to be the breadwinner and also note that by taking that preference she will be abdicating certain rights within her own household in favor of the man who is bringing all the finances. If she and her husband are fine with that arrangement, then its all good. Just know that for every preference there is a price to pay – this is especially true in marriages.

• Engoz

August 30, 2018 at 8:55 pm

“…and also note that by taking that preference she will be abdicating certain rights within her own household in favor of the man”

Couldn’t have said it any better. If you are advocating for the retaining of traditional perks you get out of marriage or whatever male female relations, be PREPARED for the man to retain his traditional perks like polyamory/polygamy, and you being totally responsible for the kitchen and all other domestic chores. Don’t start shouting when he has mistresses or marries another wife or doesn’t seek your input on decisions in the family. You are not the only one entitled to perks, and not allow him to keep his. That will be hypocritical and I dunno what kind of man will fall for that. You can prefer all you want, but you will have to abdicate certain rights a feminist will get in that household. The confusion you people have caused is enough. Call yourself something else. If you want equal rights be ready to take on responsibilities.

• californiabawlar

August 30, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Let’s start with this… If you marry someone that doesn’t allow you basic human rights FOR ANY REASON, then it’s not the society’s problem, you choose that man.
      To be taken care of and treated nicely in a romantic heterosexual relationship has nothing to do with feminism. You can choose to be in a ‘traditional’ relationship where you do the cooking and he does the more physically tasking chores, no one is stopping you… and it’s in no way crazy (which is what I think our butty homegirl is implying). You can be a feminist and be against all of these things too… your personal choice. Now as @Engoz rightly stated, some of the rights you want in your relationship will bring financial merits or will at least free up your time to make some. What then do you intend to with your time and money? Largesse? Fraudulent is the exact word to describe that.

Two (of the many) ties that bind all feminist together irrespective of personal preference is (1) The acknowledgment of the right to make choices in personal relationships (2) Far weightier issues like inheritance, education, respect and equal pay in the workplace, the right to have a voice over your own body… issues that need to be LEGISLATED.
      So madam Otedola, keep not talking about it, direct your energy towards your music and whatever… you know how the culture of silence has historically been the most effective way to effect societal changes. /sarcasm/
      Who knew #pickme was no respecter of financial status?

• Ralwabainrofilac

August 31, 2018 at 8:45 am

You agree that there is choice in feminism but still go ahead to make a sarcastic statement against “Madam Otedola” just because??

• Californiabawlar

August 31, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Nahh… sis made some contradictory and lazy statements on feminism (that could apply to even activism in general sef), so I was deliberately being sarcastic. Sue me ??‍♀️ Lol

5. Ken

August 30, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Wow I don’t really know what people understand in what she said…. It’s simple the energy we put in making men value us then let’s place more value on ourselves and be the best we can…

6. AceOfSpades

August 30, 2018 at 6:17 pm

I don’t have a problem with women becoming head of organizations. I don’t have a problem with women doing big things or even being my boss. I know this sounds odd or something but I belong to a very active WhatsApp group of 22 people with only 2 women as members and a lady is the Admin even though she didn’t create it. It didn’t even strike me until now and all the members are Nigerians!

What confuses me is that when you ask a question, feminists always hit you back with ‘pick a book and educate yourself’. We are having a conversation and you ask me to pick a book? CNA was talking about how women were seen as controlling and a man assertive the other day but have you seen Queen Elizabeth’s hold on her daughter in laws? Please try and google why they are made to sign heavily padlocked pre-nups and even thought how to dress and speak! This is a woman o who has been Queen during the ‘ deep patriarchy era’ according to feminists. Now imagine it’s a King doing this to his DIL but people will connect it to culture while our own kneel down will be called patriarchy.

Somehow I agree with Cuppy. You can’t change how ANYBODY thinks? Women that complain about how hard they have to work to prove themselves are like that Nigerian banker who earns 800k a month and travels to USA for a ‘better life’ only to get a machine operator job that leaves his body and feet sore everyday to earn about same amount he earns in naija.

7. AceOfSpades

August 30, 2018 at 6:17 pm

taught*

8. Ekoatheist

August 30, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Of course she’s not a feminist. Daddy is still feeding her.

9. Nwunye Tobi

August 30, 2018 at 9:33 pm

She has a good point in the sense that it is really difficult to change how a group of people think, especially adults due to herd mentality. Let us focus the energy on ourselves. Raise your sons to treat women right. Raise your daughters to know their worth. Don’t accept crap from fuck boys. Don’t protect rapists and pedophiles. Small small but start by yourslef
    At the end of the day her priority is her career. Chimamnda makes money on her talks on feminism, she is paid for all her public talks. Your job Cuppy is to make your music

• didi

August 31, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Also raise your daughters to treat men right, we are talking about equality here haba, feminism say they stand for equality yet they fight for a particular gender.

• Wendy

August 31, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Please stick to religious comments.

10. Blue

August 31, 2018 at 10:08 am

What people have to understand is that if everyone had focused on themselves and their dreams because “they can’t change how people think” most of the greatest social change that we now enjoy we would not have had them. From ending slavery to marrying under aged children ( this haven’t changed every where) to women having the choice to work, to be educated, to stop genital mutilation etc all this would still have been happening if everyone focused on their dreams. I get it every one is not born to be an activist but people need to know better. Just because your world is better doesn’t mean it’s better every where. Feminists create change. They fight for CHOICE. It’s more than cooking and cleaning. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO COOK OR CLEAN FIND AN AGREEABLE PARTNER.

DJ Cuppy wants to focus on her dreams . When she has time to spare she can visit a poor African country with cameras and donate money aka throw money at the problem and leave it for other people to worry about so she can focus on her dreams. She is free too but she should not drag Feminism into it.

11. LemmeRant

August 31, 2018 at 10:10 am

“If you want equal rights you would need to take on equal responsibilities.”

I remember saying something like: “equal rights come with equal responsibilities” some years back and I was blasted hard by the women on here. Lol. This is too good. Thats the thing about the truth.

Please tell Nkem Ndem because she’s one the champions of this hypocrisy. Today she’s shouting she’s a feminist. Tomorrow she’s proclaiming she can only date men richer or more successful than herself, blurting out things like how she deserves to be spoilt bcos she’s a woman, how she loves to be taken cared of. But she’ll still come and shout that a woman shouldn’t be the sole provider in the family that is the job of a man yet she cannot wash dishes. Lol.

@californiabawler look at you cozying up to @egnoz… Hehehe. LMAO
    If I didn’t know any better, you’d also have me fooled. Buh you’re just a hypocrite like Nkem.

• Californiabawlar

August 31, 2018 at 1:52 pm

? ? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

• molarah

September 1, 2018 at 4:03 am

So I picked up something in your comment and Engoz comment above that I don’t think is fundamentally right. It’s stated in different ways but its essentially “a woman cannot expect a man to be the sole provider and still call herself a feminist”. This argument sounds noble and logical on surface, but it is deeply flawed. Let’s get this straight: a ‘traditional’ family where the man is the primary provider and the woman the primary carer is EVENLY split on responsibilities!

This argument makes me almost ill when I encounter it, because it reflects how badly our priorities have been misplaced as a society. A woman focused on ensuring her family has the adequate hygiene, nutrition and nurture to thrive in their societal roles is not bringing as much to the table as the man that is bringing largely finance?? I hope you can step back long enough to realize how ridiculous this mindset is. Both roles are delivering significant value to the home and society at large. Broke is bad, but its slightly better than sick, malnourished and uncared for, please! It’s always funny when people look down at women for being “just housewives” because this is a sign they clearly have no clue. Any young woman that only wants to date or marry a rich man is very much within her rights to identify as a feminist. And you all know in Nigeria this is far from being the most important women rights issue, so can we stop using it as a detour on conversations on feminism?

12. John

September 1, 2018 at 8:18 am

Reading the inane comments from women here.

Phew, Thank goodness I was created a man.
    Not because men have it easy but I don’t get to reason like femtards or be as confused as them.