News

Saraki declares intention to Run for President in 2019

BellaNaija.com

Saraki arriving the venue of the meeting earlier today

Senate President Bukola Saraki has declared his intention to run for president of Nigeria in the 2019 elections.

Saraki made this known while speaking at a meeting with young politicians and aspirants who are interested in running for public office in 2019 under the newly signed Act.

Saraki, in the 12th point in his speech said:

See full speech below, published by Channels (Saraki talks about his plans for Nigeria from the 13th point):

SPEECH BY HIS EXCELLENCY (DR.) ABUBAKAR  BUKOLA SARAKI, CON, PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, AT A DIALOGUE WITH YOUTH AND YOUNG ASPIRANTS HELD AT SHERATON HOTEL, ABUJA, ON THURSDAY, AUGUST 30, 2018.

PROTOCOL.

1. Let me say, once again, how wonderful it is to see so many talented and purposeful young people at this first edition of the Public Dialogue Series with Political Parties on Youth Candidacy and Party Primaries. Looking at you, I see future leaders who present themselves as capable and worthy to take on the mantle of leadership in this country, and this gladdens my heart.

2. From my interactions with many of you, and with your contemporaries across the country, I can see that we are blessed with a determined generation that stands ready to join with us to power a Nigerian renaissance. The quality of people I see here today affirms my belief that, indeed, you are Not Too Young To Run.

3. I deeply appreciate this opportunity to share some of my ideas about where we are as a nation, as well as the challenges before us as we approach the great decider that is the 2019 General Elections.

4. It is widely acknowledged that ours is a relatively ‘young’ country bursting with tremendous energy, ability and potential. More than 70 per cent of our population is under the age of 40.  You are indeed the future of this country. Ordinarily, such a young population would be the envy of many Western countries that are faced with ageing populations, but the dire state of our affairs tarnishes the youthful advantage that we have.

5. Up and down our country today, Nigerians are crying out for succour. Many of our children are hungry. Many people are dying of avoidable or otherwise treatable diseases. Many have fallen below basic living standards, and are now among the 87 million that sealed Nigeria’s position as the country with the highest number of people in extreme poverty. Our young people lack opportunities. The necessary education facilities and system to equip them for the future simply do not exist. We are not creating the jobs needed to usefully engage them in order to grow our economy. And too often, the youth feel shut out, prevented from having any say in the direction of this nation.

6. The harsh conditions of extreme poverty faced by the people, fuels the state of insecurity all over the country. Hunger, lack of education and lack of opportunities push many Nigerians into criminal activities including terrorism. Many of our communities are paralysed with fear – due to incessant communal crises, kidnappings and other social ills, as well as the threat of terrorism. We are failing abysmally to tackle the problems of today and to prepare for the future.

7. Our economy is broken and is in need of urgent revival in order for Nigeria to grow. GDP growth rate has declined. Diversification remains an illusion. Unemployment is at an all-time high. Businesses are shutting down. Jobs are being lost in record numbers, and the capital needed to jumpstart our economy is going elsewhere.

8. Nigeria is perhaps more divided now than ever before. We are increasingly divided along regional, religious and ethnic lines. Nigerians are also divided by class, a festering gulf between the ‘Haves’ and the ‘Have-Nots’. The fault lines of this nation are widening to an alarming degree. We must do something fast, and we must be brave about it.

9. We must ensure the security of lives in Nigeria. As things stand now, no one is safe in this country. No one feels truly safe. We must restore the sanctity of the rule of law and strengthen democratic institutions in order to build a just, fair and equitable society for all. We must rebuild the trust of our people in government. We need a new generation of leaders that are competent, with the capability to rise to the challenges of the 21st century. We must pull this country back together and rebuild, block by block, with dedication and commitment.

10. You will agree with me that this is an urgent task that requires the concerted efforts of each and every one of us. If we look around today, what do we see? What is the condition of our citizens? Where are we as a nation? How are we perceived locally and internationally? Why are we not making the expected progress? Why are we not growing? There is no time to waste. The time is now, to come together to stimulate growth in Nigeria, especially in the national economy.

11. The choice we face in the forthcoming election is either to keep things as they are, or make a radical departure from the old ways. To find a better way of doing things or keep repeating the mistakes of the past. To fix the problems or keep compounding them.

12. It is with all these in mind, and taking account of the challenges that I have outlined, that I have decided to answer the call of teeming youth who have asked me to run for President. Accordingly, I hereby announce my intention to run for the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the coming General Elections in 2019 on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). I do so with the firm conviction that I have what it takes to secure inclusive growth for Nigeria and Nigerians.

13. My Plan for Nigeria has inclusion in all aspects of the country’s affairs as a central pillar. Every citizen has the inalienable right to feel a sense of belonging, no matter their background or creed, or what part of the country they come from. No matter who you voted for or what your convictions are, government must work for you.

14. Your generation does not deserve to live in the poverty capital of the world. It is no longer an issue of how we got here, but how do we get out of this situation? I promise you that I will lead the fight and employ every God-given resource available to us in turning things around. I am determined to grow Nigeria out of poverty. We will stimulate the growth of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) as one of the ways of energising the economy and to create wealth for our people, especially the youth.

15. I want to see the youth play major roles at all levels, not only in government but also in the private sector and indeed in every area of Nigerian life. This will be a government driven by youthful energy, innovation and a pioneering entrepreneurial spirit. Nigerian youth will be given all the opportunities to realise their potential to the full within a national framework that guarantees inclusiveness.  For youth who have ideas and capacity, we will make sure that there is funding for their ventures; and we shall build on the Made in Nigeria legislation as part of our job creation drive.

16. My plan is to secure Nigeria by redesigning our national security architecture, while adequately equipping our security agencies to fulfil their primary role of protecting lives and property.

17. I will address our infrastructural deficit through aggressive financing initiatives including mutually beneficial PPP arrangements, regular floating of bonds and other financial instruments, which will ensure stable, adequate and reliable funding to see to the completion of core projects especially road, rail and power.

18. My plan is to protect all Nigerians and defend their constitutional rights and freedoms. I will stand for and uphold at all times the principle of the rule of law, which is the bedrock of democratic governance.

19. Ours will not be a selective fight against corruption. The emphasis will be on strengthening institutions, with a particular focus on deterrence. We cannot afford to compromise our institutions with proxy wars against perceived political opponents. We see the fight against corruption as crucial to Nigeria’s economic development.

20. I offer leadership driven by empathy. Where leaders are responsive to the citizens. Where they know that government cares. We will not be indifferent or turn a blind eye to the real concerns of our people. Every single Nigerian life matters.

21. For me, the leadership we deserve is one that will be a source of pride to all Nigerians, one that will be respected and admired in Africa and around the world. It should be a leadership that can hold its own and stand tall anywhere in the world. That is the type of leadership I offer.

22. As a former two-term Governor and currently President of the Senate by the grace of God, I believe I possess a unique blend of executive and legislative experience to push for and implement reforms that will deliver real improvements in the daily lives of our people. I know what it takes to create jobs and grow the economy. I can make the tough decisions when it matters. I will spearhead a new agenda that can transform the lives of ordinary Nigerians in real terms.

23. Believe me when I say that it will not be business as usual. This will be a dynamic government of action that will pursue the growth of Nigeria with doggedness, determination and conviction. I will lead a result-driven administration. We shall set targets with clear timelines to ensure that anticipated deliverables are met. You can benchmark us and hold us accountable. In short, I assure you that I will deliver on all promises. What I envision is a new chapter in governance in this country. We will be driven by what is best for Nigerians.

25. I have deliberately chosen the opportunity of being here with you, my Number One constituency who I see as the future of our great country, to make my intention known. I believe the Nigerian youth are critical to rebuilding and growing the economy, and restoring our national pride.

26. I therefore ask you and all well-meaning Nigerians to join hands with me in this noble cause.

My brothers, My sisters, Let’s Grow Nigeria Together.

God bless you all.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, CON.

Photo Credit: @bukolasaraki

1. TT

August 30, 2018 at 3:55 pm

ghen – ghen

2. May

August 30, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Ofc we know. He doesn’t have to say…. God help Nigeria!

3. Engoz

August 30, 2018 at 5:13 pm

“More than 70 per cent of our population is under the age of 40.”

Damn they are trying to appeal to the youth now. I wrote in 2016 above that the youth are the king makers in this country as a result of our population. Life expectancy in Nigeria is just 53 years. Meanwhile our politicians exceed this number bountifully and robustly, after reducing the the average life to that of a chicken. Now everyone is using it as a political talking point. I still challenge Nigerian youth to be NON-PARTISAN. Stop all these APC, PDP allegiance nonsense. Judge them by their actions only not talking points. You should always critically analyze the prior indices of these political terrorists before supporting their candidacy.

4. Sherlie Holmes

August 30, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Donald Duke or Fela Durotoye gets my vote!

5. Ephi

August 30, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Buhari is in trouble, lol

6. by_stander

August 30, 2018 at 8:10 pm

I am still suprised this man is a Doctor and i said it before that i can not believe he doesn’t know what the problems are.

@number 22 the man doesn’t just know the problems, he knows how to fix it.

@Number 5, 6, 7, 10 he lists all the problems and how they are connected to economic freedom and right to earn a living – the research isn’t even that hard to do with already publicly available publications. it shows at least 100 million lives have already been made uncertain by the stupidity of doing such a thing as infringing on economic liberty and right to earn a living.

LOL Number 13 sef he uses the exact words (i wonder where he got it from.) in conjunction with “belonging,” as if that’s the only thing inalienable rights is about, or may be he is using maslow’s hierarchy. Oga Inalienable rights are natural rights unlimited in scope! they are bestowed upon man by his creator.Even our science supports the fact that human beings have Unalienable rights, you have the benefit of being also being a Doctor, yet you watched and kept quiet as these rights were being infringed upon.

Economic liberty and right to earn a living are part of inalienable rights of human beings.

In all your paragraphs i didnt hear you mention in details of how they are all connected to you and the two professions that clearly have monopolies in our laws and policies than infringe on inalienable rights of human beings.

At Number 14 he tries to escape culpability with “It is no longer an issue of how we got here” But he knows exactly how we got here. Its a result of very bad laws and policies that infringe on the inalienable rights of human beings.

The very thing the man that says he is a Doctor, current heads and says he needs a higher sit to fix.

Only God knows if without the current President we would have ever unearthed these worms. If you don’t know the problem and are not responsible for it you are innocent and free of guilt in my opinion.

But not you, You!, you keep quiet while people are suffering and dying and then you use the solution as a way to gain a higher sit close to election. it maybe how politics is played, but its a big no no for me. You don’t play politics with people’s Alienable Rights You dont!

I don’t care what madness you have been brain washed into believing – you do not have any right to infringe on the inalienable rights of human beings in any way or form!.

@number 15 ( he is still talking)

I really don’t get oath/trust breakers when they actually think people will be stupid enough to trust them again. They obviously have selective hearing to things like “fool me once…” or “once bitten…”

• by_stander

August 30, 2018 at 10:34 pm

You don’t play politics with people’s Inalienable Rights. You dont!*

7. physio Tinu

August 30, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Saraki is a snake. He delibrately sabotaged the Buhari administration so that Buhari would appear even worse then he is (as though Buhari wasn’t bad enough) I mean, see how long it took for the senate to pass the budget despite Buhari submitting it since last year. Also, he refused to swear in Magu as EFCC chairman and lets not talk about all the orgnanisations and parastatals which have grinded to a halt because there are no Excos on the boards.

Let’s even absolve him of these and look at his track record: He left kwara state in shambles just like the defunct societe general bank which he brought to ruin. but the most unforgiveable act in my opinion is that he was fingered in the offa robbery. I mean, PREGNANT WOMEN, children, bread winners-32 human beings died on that day. And these are his political thugs who committed that atrocity?!!

Nigerians, I plead with you, anything but this man abeg. There’s too much stench emanating from this dude. Too mush!!!

• Dayo

August 30, 2018 at 10:56 pm

@physio Tinu, I am NOT a fan of Saraki and will NEVER vote for him…

But please do not come here spewing that APC propaganda BS. I will not bother with deconstructing every piece of partisan polemic pablum in your post, but the assertion that Saraki refused to swear in Magu as EFCC chair is a gross misunderstanding of the constitution. The Senate is not a rubber-stamp for the President, and to simply approve everything proposed by the UNDERMINES the constitution’s foundational framework of checks-and-balances! Nonetheless, Magu, who recently froze the accounts of states whose Governors defected from the APC and issued a notice of future prosecution (or persecution) to Fayose after the Ekiti elections, have proven to be substantively little more than a partisan political shrill and an APC bagman. Meanwhile, EFCC cases/investigations against the likes of Musilu Obanikoro (who Magu chased all the way to the US) and Godswill Akpabio have been fortuitously abandoned since each joined the APC. If it walks like a duck…

Anyway, the sooner that we kick BOTH the APC and the PDP out of Aso Rock and out of power, the better for all of us.

• omomo

August 31, 2018 at 12:27 am

loud it

• Wifematerial

August 31, 2018 at 5:54 am

Na you make sense pass

• LemmeRant

August 31, 2018 at 10:35 am

Yes. Yes.

Finally. We’ve started thinking. We’ve started seeing into their lies.

One thing I agree with though – This man Saraki is a bloody snake.

8. Kiki

August 31, 2018 at 1:19 am

Donald Duke, come 2019.

True Political experience. Clean record. Young. Forward thinking

9. jade edo babe

August 31, 2018 at 2:19 am

Saraki will drag nigeria into sewage, dirty smelly gutter. Very selfish, greedy, evil man. He’s in it for himself nothing else.
    This is the time for change for naija. All of una with wicked, evil hearts, d liars, thieves your time is here. I don tire. I’ve been praying. Nigeria must change by force.
    Thieves, embezzlers, liars, drunk, dictator, one after the other, for only dat nigeria. Enough is enough

10. Lol

August 31, 2018 at 4:20 am

I’m saying it now. Everyone is getting excited by these young people. A snake is a snake no matter the skin or age.

We need God( people don’t like to admit it but we do) to give us wisdom on who to vote for.

Deception is real!!! They will deceive you get into office see money and eye go change color.

We need wisdom and discernment. When we get a good president we can then allow him to work with his hands.

I’m not voting for any young person because they are young. I’m voting for the right candidate. The experienced one the one that will move nigeria forward. Good and clean intentions

11. Bowl

August 31, 2018 at 7:36 am

May I introduce to you Nigerians, officially, your president !

12. Marian

September 1, 2018 at 11:37 am

lol. is this guy for real? he is one of the worst. It’s Nigeria sha so i won’t be shocked if he wins. They need to have all these yeye people on a live debate and hit them with facts. Is there at least one Level-II or III trauma center in the state where he was governor for 2 terms ?? what’s their literacy level? employment rate? What da fudge did he accomplish while he was governor??? he has all the answers now but has he ever implemented them?

Dear Nigerians,

You don’t vote based on what they say and promise alone. Any one can write or say anything. You gotta check their past and see what they’ve been up to prior to election season. What did whatshisface accomplish or do while he was vice president? what did he accomplish with that platform?? buhari nko?

Nigeria is doomed for another 4 years if whatshisface, buhari or saraki should win. oh and that guy who said black people can’t produce anything; his own stupidity is on another level. .