Music

Why I became a Cab Driver – Project Fame Winner Olawale

BellaNaija.com

Olawale

In an era where people are shamed for just about anything, it’s beautiful to see that more and more, people are rising above the hate and living their lives

This week, it was disclosed that 2013 Project Fame winner Olawale now works as a cab driver. The singer has confirmed the report, in an interview with Punch, saying he does the job because it pays the bills and gives him time to focus on his music career

He said:

It is very true that I am a cab driver. Everybody knows that money finishes, especially when you are in an industry where you have to pay for virtually everything. To promote your songs, you need money. When I completed the Project Fame competition, I released some songs, even after the one year contract I had with them expired. To release all those songs cost me money; it is not as if I won N200m. There were some other personal things I spent my money on.

I have a video that tells my story and I mentioned a lot of things I faced in the song, titled, ‘Blessing’. There are so many things I cannot outline word for word. I did not spend the money lavishly and there are a lot of things people do not know. I went back to school and that is something a lot of people do not know. When I was in 400 Level, I had some challenges but at the end of the day, I completed it and had my national youth service in 2017.

I resorted to driving cabs because a white collar job would not give me time to face my music career. At a point, I thought about how I could support my music career while working; I thought about jobs that would allow me to have time for my studio session and do what I love doing without being tied down under someone’s employment.

That is why I resorted to driving cabs. If I take up a white collar job, I would be in the office from 9am to 5pm and I would not have time for music anymore, which is what I have a passion for. Music is what I love doing.

I have never felt embarrassed about being a cab driver and that is the truth. I have grown past that stage where I would feel embarrassed about what I do to earn a living. As far as you are not feeding me, why would I feel embarrassed or be concerned about your opinion of me?

Most times, when people order for my service and see me as the driver, they ask if I am the Olawale that won Project Fame and I let them know that I am the one. Most of them ask if I am still doing music and I reply in the affirmative; then, I play my latest songs for them to enjoy while I am driving.

This is just to let them know that I have not stopped doing music. I make them realise that since music is not putting food on the table right now, I have to find another source of income so that I can eat. Being a Project Fame winner does not stop you from being hungry or in need of basic things of life, like every other person. I have to do what I have to do to survive.

1. Jou

September 8, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Kudos……very inspiring that yoy refuse to let societal pressures push you to doing something stupid…..sadly even as adults most people are not above peer pressure and would have resorted to all sorts of shady deals just to feel among the cool gang….if half of the population could think and act like this….Nigeria would have def been in a better position that we we have today

2. Ijebujesha

September 8, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Shallow minded Nigerians will wake up from their stupid mentality gradually and realize that there is dignity in labor as long as you are not begging or stealing. Not everyone is a thief. Stupid people glamoourizing hushpuppy but shaming a cab driver. What a people!

3. Patootie

September 8, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Olawale that was all over LAUTECH that year chasing after all the ‘big’ girls with husband car. Every night, he’d park in different hostels from Under G to Adenike carrying different girls. He was in Lagos doing same thing. Where is the girl that he was following about that year that drives a Bentley. People were telling him but his reply was ‘Na you be God?’

Cab driving isn’t a bad thing to do but if he had to do it because there was no income source anymore, then it’s his fault! He brought it on himself

• Vickeybill

September 9, 2018 at 6:39 am

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Moreover, how do you read what he said and come up with your kind of comment? History teacher Pele o

• Oprah

September 9, 2018 at 7:49 am

This comment was so unnecessary. You need to sit back and let go of the vile in you.

4. Baybie

September 8, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Somebody give this guy a record deal abeg, this is a focused and hardworking Nigerian.

5. Cocoa

September 8, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Honestly, that such things still make headline is the actual embarrassment. What is shameful about an HONEST living? I’m glad he knows there’s NOTHING to be ashamed of.
    God will bless the works of your hand brother. Let others learn from you.

Yahoo Yahoo boys, prostitutes, runs girls, false prophets…..LEARN FROM HIM,

6. Spunky

September 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm

In an industry where glamour reigns, it takes a lot of courage to face your truth. I appreciate his effort and I wish him well…your hustle go PAY off soon.

7. tos

September 8, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Nice one, wise boy and you will go far Olawale because you recognise that there is dignity in labour. God always blesses people like you.

8. Khadja

September 8, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Finally someone who’s not ashamed of working hard to realise his dreams