News

I’ll “leave some difference in that office” if I “survive the next four years” – Buhari

President Buhari with Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama and Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki as he meets with Nigerians in Diaspora at the Sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York on 27th Sep 2018

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that he’ll leave some difference in the presidency if he wins the 2019 election and “survive the next four years”.

The president made this known in an interactive session with Nigerians in diaspora on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.

“If I win the next election and I survive the next four years, I will do better,” TheCable quoted Buhari as saying.

In a statement released by the president’s media aide Femi Adesina, Buhari said Nigeria’s elite “allowed the country to be mismanaged for 16 years of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) rule, without as much as raising a voice in consternation.”

Buhari was quoted as saying:

They didn’t say a word. Under the PTF (Petroleum Trust Fund, of which he was Chairman), we did roads from Lagos to Abuja, to Onitsha, to Port Harcourt. Since then, the roads were not done, between 1999 and 2015, yet the elite did not say a word.

I was called Baba Go Slow. Those who were going fast, where did they get to?

In 1983, military officers gathered, and made me Head of State. I packed the politicians into jail, told them they were guilty until they could prove their innocence. We seized what they had looted, but after I myself was put in detention, the politicians were given back what they had looted. How many elite complained about that?

Three times I contested elections; three times I went to court after the elections were rigged against me. No justice, but I said ‘God dey.’

It was mainly the ordinary people that stood by me. That is why I am always conscious of them. They are my constituency. Even pregnant women on the queue would fall into labour, go to have their babies, and still come back to vote for me. I will keep doing my best for the country.

I’ve tried to do my best since I came. Security-wise, we are better. Boko Haram still conducts cowardly attacks, but the insurgency is not the same as it used to be. They are terrorists, and have nothing to do with religion. We will continue to deal with them. Ask people in the North-east, especially in Borno State, they will tell you they can sleep with two eyes closed now.

Buhari told the Nigerians in diaspora who say they want to return to the country: “You are contributing to this great country (America). If you want to help back home, invest in education in your constituencies. If you educate people, they won’t then accept nonsense from anybody.”

1. Lazy youth

September 28, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Baba I don’t think you need 4 more years, as the difference is clear….. VERY CLEAR sir.

• Another lazy youth

September 28, 2018 at 5:11 pm

Sai baba, you promised us change. And you fulfilled it,
      And we have not fully gotten out of ur change. Now its ‘difference’, anything different will send some of us to the village and we are too lazy to farm. Pls let there be a different person on that seat.

• Fleur

September 29, 2018 at 12:49 pm

I know you will- a greater depletion of the aso rock account for your not- so-Secret secret Chemo.

2. Amaka

September 28, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Of course you will “leave some difference in that office,” and it will be called ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA. NONSENCE. Nigerians better open their eyes and get this man out of office ASAP. #2019LOADING

3. felo

September 28, 2018 at 5:55 pm

He is right. Counter everything he said with facts not emotions. You may not like him, fine, but is he saying the truth?

• HowDidItAffectPriceOfGarriForMarket

September 29, 2018 at 12:36 am

No one said he lied. If the masses are suffering and till now Leih shaibu is still with them boko. I don’t really care about all these really. Or how did all that change corruption in osun election??! Or put food in the idp camp. Abegi keep ur truth, we need to see them physically

• Ovadje

September 29, 2018 at 12:45 am

@felo, FACT is, Nigeria has become the world’s capital for extreme poverty under his watch….

4. Beht why

September 28, 2018 at 9:41 pm

You’re very silly!

5. Nnenne

September 29, 2018 at 12:22 am

Am sure he can still make a difference…# in his family!
    Nigerians deserve better.

6. Bade

September 29, 2018 at 1:49 am

But why is buhari pouting, they didn’t teach him how to smile well?. Cos trump said he’s lifeless so he came with the smiling gang to prove what?? Smh stop playing politics everywhere!

7. Ngozi

September 29, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Mocking the gullibility of Nigerians I guess. Mtchewww! May Nigeria laugh last by God’s grace.

8. JOHN

September 30, 2018 at 1:58 pm

BAba, you have never fufiled any of your canpaign promises, nigerian dont need u again, go and eat the billions you hav gathered thanks.