News

France to peg Age of Sexual Consent at 15

France to peg Age of Consent at 15 | BellaNaija

French President Emmanuel Macron. (Photo by Chesnot/Getty Images)

France has decided to set its legal age of sexual consent at 15.

This means that under the law, sex between an adult and anyone younger than 15 will be considered rape.

BBC reports that the country previously did not have a legal age of consent, and sex with people under 15 currently have to be proven as forced and coerced to be considered as rape.

Offenders may only be charged with sexual abuse with minors under the current legislation, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a fine of €75,000, same as sexual assault of non-minors.

Photo Credit: Chesnot/Getty Images

1. RichyGame

November 17, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Chai, what happened to 18, isn’t that too young?

2. Pat

November 17, 2018 at 2:15 pm

15 is still young. Even if a 15 year old gives consent when he or she get older or mature they might realise whatever consent they gave was premature cos they were not mature or might not have had much life experience and I am in no way saying older people are mature. They should keep the age of consent at at least 18yrs. The way the world is going is really scary.

3. Goolicks

November 17, 2018 at 5:46 pm

I’m not surprised buhahahahaha….. The president himself was defiled around that age.

• Pat

November 17, 2018 at 8:33 pm

My thoughts exactly, maybe his trying to save face.

• Bella

November 19, 2018 at 10:55 am

you’re wcked lol

4. Nini

November 18, 2018 at 2:46 am

Sorry but France is not Nigeria. My hubby who is french had his first sexual encounter at 11 years old. They start pretty soon and see nothing wrong in discovering their sexuality early.

Some years back when I was pregnant and was at the nail spa talking with the technician making my nails- she was around 19 years old and somehow we spoke about my pregnancy and how I was going to change my gynae because she was always too busy going into emergencies or operations and always calling to change my appointments.

What happened next was the excitement in my nail tech’s voice in recommending another gynae to me. The first name she gave was funnily my gynae (lol)- I laughed and explained that, that was the gynae I was trying to replace.

On second recommendation of another doctor, I then asked if she had any kids to know such good doctors- she simply explained how they are so good and helped her manage her contraceptive pills usage &a pregnancy avaoidance at different stages of her teen to match her every life situation.

And as she was speaking some other people were there, all white ( french ofcourse) and there was no surprise or shame.

That’s just the way it is.

• Elle

November 18, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Okay, so because your hubby had his first sexual encounter at 11, makes it alright? Colonialism has so warped our minds honestly. If it was a Nigerian kid that did same, I doubt you would take this same stance.

5. Kudi Klepto

November 18, 2018 at 2:15 pm

French and promiscuity sha

6. zzzzzzzzzzz

November 19, 2018 at 9:15 am

May God help them, he that sows the wind should be prepared to reap the whirlwind

7. Bella

November 19, 2018 at 10:57 am

Now that I have kids, i wish the laws could be 18. But for now I guess we will settle with 16. Anything else is way too young sha

8. Physio Tinu

November 19, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Human beings in the developed world live till about 70-80 years to be on the safe side. But what is it about sex that you want children to start to early?!
    Interestingly, ask a girl to marry at 15 and these same Oyinbo would say child not bride.
    This upside down priorities sha