To Be Young, Chic & Loved: Jewel By Lisa for Vlisco

Jewel by Lisa‘s collection for Vlisco was fresh, upbeat and cosmopolitan.
Given that ankara is the label’s signature palette, we all knew that the collection was going to be good. However, JBL raised the stakes from good to great by introducing unexpected elements into the mix.
Ankara fused with silk and jersey.
Amped-up embellishments.
Finally, clean lines and geometric cuts added that sophisticated tailored edge that set this apart from previous Jewel by Lisa collections.

Overall, a collection that even the most slick city girl will covet!

Jewel by Lisa designer, Lisa Folawiyo

17 Comments on To Be Young, Chic & Loved: Jewel By Lisa for Vlisco
  • kay February 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm

without mincing words this is one of our nigerian designers that i admire.her designs are so fresh and young.kudos to her.

• Nma February 25, 2009 at 11:43 pm

this is worram talking about….her collection is so beatifuuuuuul!
    LOVE ‘EM ALL!

• Nma February 25, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I am seriously feeling: 2,4 and 5 especially!

• Ladybrille February 26, 2009 at 1:56 am

Lisa’s collection are fun and I agree this is a different point of view than she typically has.

Cheers,
    Uduak

• Tee February 26, 2009 at 3:03 am

I have a feeling this ankara stuff is gonna get outta style pretty fast…. It’s extremely in. Lovely designs tho.

• Dorah February 26, 2009 at 3:40 am

Her collection is okay. Some of the pieces are good and others aren’t… I really like the dress in the sixth picture. It stands out the most. The large jewelry accompanying some of the dresses are too large and jarring to the eye.

PS
    The models are thicker than Lisa. She’s super thin. WOW!

• Sam February 26, 2009 at 4:21 am

Hot collection… I think only her and Dav!d from Canada have a ”fresh” take on ankara! We need to see more from designers like these!

• Obonjor February 26, 2009 at 8:25 am

Nice sturvs

• chii February 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Now, this is what I call designing…

• tomi February 26, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Nice clothes, but so boooooorring!
    I like these dresses but they all seem like clothes I already have from Topshop or Zara made up in Ankara.

LDA is not my taste, but at least I can see some design has gone into it. This on the other hand looks like stuff I see everywhere everyday!…..
    That being said, they are perfect “casual” clothes for lagos Bigs Gelz which I suppose is her market.

Unremarkable, but pretty…….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

• BRIDGET OTUBOR February 27, 2009 at 4:51 pm

KUDOS TO HER EFFORT, GOOD IDEAS

• tomi March 3, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Its in to stay, at least for the duration of the credit crunch. Most people can afford 1k to look on trend.

• toya fisher March 6, 2009 at 2:48 am

one word.. wow! i have got to get me some jbl gear….well done liz

• Femo March 7, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Ankara has been around as far as I can remember. I don’t think it will disappear anyday soon. Personally, I am overjoyed to see Nigerian designers boldly incorporating Nigerian and African textiles into their designs. European designers and fashion retailers have been appropriating African elements for decades. Its time for Africans to step up to the plate and put their own dent in the fashion world and using Ankara, Ashoke etc is a great way to carve out a niche.

• Sola March 10, 2009 at 10:49 pm

It’s good to see her making the effort but i’m not really thrilled or impressed by the designs. It’s not something I would buy but i’m not her target market so who cares about my oppinion. It is quite boring to be honest no originality beside Ankara is Ankara….i’d wear it casually if need be but not continuosly. I wish her all the best.

• Sola March 10, 2009 at 10:59 pm

It’s good to see her making the effort but these days everybody wants to be a designer and they just don’t cut it. I’m not really impressed by the designs, i actually find them rather boring. There is no originality and it’s just Ankara designed like ‘Mango’- more often than not they have dull stuff. What i would like to see is ‘fresh & bold’ make a statement. Be different, try things but don’t give us dull, ugly colours and call it fashion. Some stuff up there i would never buy…..like sooooo never!!! Besides i could buy the ankara and design stuff myself. I wish her all the best though……Lisa take a cue and change the scene….

• Kassels Margo January 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm

WOW LISA it is for sure a JEWEL what you are doing and this is acxectly desingning and creative Many blessings in what you are doing I got your site from a friend and I am very exciting of your work I want you to know that I am from Suriname take good care and keep on doing your good work lots of love