BN Presents Naija Divas: Desperate Chicks

desperate-chicksWe would have never imagined that we would feature a group called Desperate Chicks on Bella Naija but we cant count the number of times BN readers have requested that we feature these Naija Divas. Desperate Chicks are a musical trio from Eastern Nigeria. They released their debut album ‘Tell Dem’ over a year ago and it has been a smash hit! What’s so shocking is that, there seems to be absolutely no press or details on the ladies. BN is on the case and we’ll bring you more on D-Chicks soon. Dont judge the name or the image, the music is incredibly catchy and the vocals are on point! Have a listen to some of their hits below.

Desperate Chicks – Dis Boy

Desperate Chicks – Okpomekwe

Desperate Chicks – Mu Na Gi; Dangerous; Owu

31 Comments on BN Presents Naija Divas: Desperate Chicks
  • Nigerian Fetish March 20, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I like there music. Very nice and smooth…… but why the title, “Desperate Chicks”… I really like their music….

wow……

• Onome March 20, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I served at Enugu and they are very popular there. I like their song.Especially ‘okpomekwe’ which means u r finished. Lets me give some few lines, if u nor sabi Jesus.. Okpomekwe,u nor dey fear God…Okpomekwe, u dey disrespect ur mama…Okpomekwe n so on. If u haven’t listened 2 this track pls do. I’d really love 2 know more abt them. Thnx.

• allen March 20, 2009 at 7:35 pm

D-chicks are definitely doing their thing. Love it.

• yves la rock** March 20, 2009 at 9:33 pm

finally Bella! :)
    see better movement here.

• Dee March 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Honestly, i saw their name and wasn’t even going to listen to the songs, but then i saw the comments .. i must say they sound really good, very nice. There is still time to re-brand their image (before it is ruined with an unsavory video), because “Desperate Chicks” isn’t going to cut it..

• Jaguda March 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm

It’s ok. Not anything great, but it’ll ok to listen to

• kay March 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm

this is good…..very good actually..it has that local feel to it and i like the lyrics too..i am proud of them.

• Mobola March 20, 2009 at 11:00 pm

At long last! I love the “chicks” a lot! As in I forced other ibo people that didn’t know them to listen so I could get translations….their vocal arrangements are on point…Mu na gi, Tell dem, Dis Boy, Owu are hot tracks…if you don’t have this album you are missing oh! Gba be! lol

• Viv March 21, 2009 at 1:41 am

I agree. It’s the comments that made me listen. I saw this album cover some weeks and was terribly turned off. They’re actually quite good. Better than some of the ladies featured recently *cough*fragrance*cough. They should work on that name … and that horrible album picture. They have potential.

• Nneka March 21, 2009 at 2:41 am

i think the name is catchy. I really like the ‘smooth’ sound of the first song. Good luck to them….oh and they are pweeety (aren’t ‘we’ all ehy) ;)

• randommer March 21, 2009 at 3:21 am

lol I love the music but this name … odikwa too risky now

• thrifty March 21, 2009 at 4:58 am

I am impressed. ‘LOVE EM. Gotta send 4 their album. This can put me in a good mindset for ma days work.

• Ladi March 21, 2009 at 6:12 am

love!!!!!!

• Bola March 21, 2009 at 6:54 am

Wow, these ladies are anyhting but desperate :)
    Their voices are so soothing, controlled, and rich!
    Omo, TELL DEM !

• Lew March 21, 2009 at 7:06 am

Desperateeeeeeeeeeee shickssssssssssss..
    i have 3 of their songs…and theyre nice
    i thot theyd be igbo ninjas or sth but theyre superb woo hoo
    ndigbo Kwenuu!!

• tatafo! March 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Desperate Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks!! finally bella you do well!
    My faves are Tell Dem and Okpomekwe and Mu Na Gi, I have their whole album and it’s on heavy rotation.

• Cici March 21, 2009 at 8:37 pm

My friends convinced me to listen to them, claiming they are pretty good. I just can’t believe this, i see no talent. Maybe because I was just done listening to Sade. My friends think I’m been hard on them bcos they are Nigerians, I listen to Asa, Ayo, Timaya, Nneka, just to name a few. I just think real talent is hard to find these days without been desperate, with artists in everywhere.

• Lake-an March 22, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Nice one Bella! May I suggest that you include, Ibiyemi (I saw that chick perform on Val’s day and she is one to look out for!), Niyola, KUSH, now those are the real 9ja divas.

• odéshi March 23, 2009 at 6:56 am

they have wonderful voices but they need to reconsider their wardrobe!! your voice should complement your looks.. theirs doesn’t.

• Philipschasis March 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Desperates chick r hot dey’ve gat d talent, all dey just need s d support 2 move higher. Remember a prophet is nt recognized n his home town. Desperate chicks hat’s off 4 u gals

• YNC March 23, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Their music is so good, Naija needs to spotlight them more…love the last hit …anyone know where l can get the cd. love love it

• pam March 24, 2009 at 10:19 am

Love it!

This is a great series…

• Hadiza March 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I think they are hot, but they need more marketing. Tell them rocks!!!

• liz March 25, 2009 at 1:49 am

i want this songs can someone tell me where i can get it…plzzz

• Bimpe March 31, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I have to admit i’m impressed with the vocals, but please they need to change their name and their look, so that they can be were they ought to be…..in the spotlight

• toya fisher April 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm

seriously, it just gets worse… how in the hell are we supposed to take u seriously with a name like desperate chicks , i mean wat are u desperate for ? men? money? fame? COME ON BELLA!!!!

• ij April 13, 2009 at 9:26 pm

fyi some people are taking them seriously, regardless of their name , most likely people who just want to listen to gud music.
    pls dont try to over analyse them, just listen to them, moreso , their name is bringing about that much needed curiosity, its a marketing tactic.

• AMAKA June 23, 2009 at 1:36 am

they have a nice voice and nice music but i think they could be able to go further if they changed their name.
    if they want to go international everyone is going to laugh at them because of their name. you cant go international and not even national with a tacky name like that. lol who’s idea was it anyway?

• AMAKA June 23, 2009 at 7:45 am

my favorite song is “dis boy” its the best one from the three. i want their album so bad. thanks to you bella i wouldnt know all these good nigerian artist. dbanj, 9ice and other women degraders need to move over and make room for real music.
    there are better naija artist and female artist but M.I DBanj and others constantly steal the spotlight.

• jbaby June 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm

these girls r really good. best so far. if it was some american grp that had the name no one will say anything. pple chill it is just a stage name. forget the name they r talented. and i dont get that impressed easily.

• kumzy August 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm