Music

BN Presents Naija Divas: Goldie

BellaNaija.com

goldie-divas
It seems as though majority of our contemporary Naija Divas are not shy about bringing the sexy! We are proud of women who are confident in their sensuality so more power to them! Unfortunately, in many cases the execution and styling strays from sensual to skanky. Hopefully with better investment in stylists, wardrobe and music video direction, this can be improved.

If there is a queen of the OTT sexy brigade, its Goldie (Real Name: Susan Harvey). This young lady has released a slew of music videos aimed to titillate and entertain. Some have drawn parallels with Goldie and Lady Gaga’s over the top style . You be the judge! Remember, we are not aiming to tear these women down but encourage them and perhaps offer some feedback that’ll help them improve.

Goldie – Shift

Goldie – Spin Me

Goldie – Komole

1. Elpee

March 18, 2009 at 1:05 am

Honestly I’m going to be as nice as I possibly can.

1st video: The lyrics are tooooooo cheesy. She needs to get better sensible lyrics. Especially ones that don’t clash. Too much opposites going on. Also why were her clothes XXS? She could have worn better clothes to make it work and still look hot. Next toooo much body movement.. I couldn’t concentrate cuz it was toooo distracting. Then the weird dance thing that went on.. That was just extra cheesy and the thing going on with the black things around was distracting.. I know it was put there cuz they couldn’t obviously dance. Then she was spoiling her face too much especially the scenes in the chair… tooo muchhh unnecesary movements and facial expression. And voice training if there is sth lik dat in naija… She needs it.. I expected better from her pic.. id say she stick to model shots like that honestly. Did i mention most outfits were ridiculous? The beat in the beginnin was nice after a while it got noisy.

2nd video: Bad intro wats up with the analog screen at the beginning? Then the girl singin like there was hot yam in her mouth? she can’t sing so i should say made attempts. Outfits again were ridiculous, Lyrics cheesy.. same critiques as the last.. i couldnt finish watchin it tooo much going on.

3rd video: Didn’t watch it. I don’t think I could have gone thru the ache.

Well kudos for attemptin wish u future luck with the rest.

2. baby

March 18, 2009 at 1:24 am

r u kidding me???
    wat kind of rubbish is dis..
    d babe just wasted her money for the 1st video. d song is soooo rubbisj

3. baby

March 18, 2009 at 1:27 am

OOOOOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO
    i even thot it was only d 1st video dat was shit…..
    everything is

4. eggone

March 18, 2009 at 1:47 am

ditto!!!
    speechless… amazing stuff we churn. enjoy!!!

5. yves la rock**

March 18, 2009 at 4:04 am

but Bella,

where are Asa, TyBello, Ayo, Ledisi, Sasha???

these are true nigerian female artists.

6. Anya

March 18, 2009 at 4:47 am

Bella?! Kai…mehn…what are these nightmarish things you’re letting us watch…

Ok, so you want constructive feedback.
    #1: Her voice isn’t that great…why am I being subtle?! abeg her voice is awful. Maybe she can attend voice lessons for a few weeks to teach her how to hit notes.

#2: She’s a thicker girl, so I’m glad that she can be a role model for thicker girls out there. No pressure to develop an eating disorder.

#3: In the first video (Shift), while she was sitting on that throne; what was wrong with her lips? abi was she wearing grills? Then the choreography during the interlude was definitely copied from Ciara’s ‘Like a boy’. We need originality here…not recycled dudu.

#4: I thought ‘Spin Me’ was the title of her album…so why is this promo video so awful? I’m glad she’s exploring rock music as an alternate genre, but that song (& video) were really terrible.

#5: I could go on…but there are too many things wrong with these videos, just too many.

Kai…

7. doowop

March 18, 2009 at 5:12 am

geez…wasnt going to watch the videos cos they are damn too many..but with these comments i gats to wash them!!!i gats to!!!

8. doowop

March 18, 2009 at 5:13 am

Asa,Ty n sasha have more than enuff publicity jare…Bella should feature the under dogs

9. Anya

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 am

Elpee…my same sentiments! I just wrote a response now…I feel the same way about a lot of what you said.

10. Kpakpando

March 18, 2009 at 7:29 am

Must my eyes be assaulted by boobage? Sex helps to sell, but it has to be selling something to start with. I don’t think she has the raw talent, so even lessons and choreography won’t help that much. It’s not by force to be an “artist”, I know that’s what’s reigning now in naija, but haba have something to work with first. She’s cute, but that’s really about it.

11. Maryam

March 18, 2009 at 7:51 am

I donno oh!
    simple question, :Abeg ehn, is that chic th the 2nd video transverstile? she kina looks like a man.

The 2n video- i love the beat, nice song, horrible voice..I bliv she can do better tho’.

12. mary

March 18, 2009 at 11:42 am

its an effort must you all be so negative????

13. Elpee

March 18, 2009 at 3:06 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA TRANS??? Lol i actually couldn’t make out the faces cuz the quality was real bad… but i sure know she sounded off nd was dressed funny nd the whole thing was ear crunching

14. Elpee

March 18, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Abi Anya, i share the same sentiments about your comments also… needs a lot of work. This is wat naija economy has caused.. every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to sing because there r no jobs out there. And this is quick money

15. Mobola

March 18, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Honestly Bella, you need to start screening what you put on this website – real talk. I watched the Fragrance videos the other day and I was flabbergasted at the general poor quality of the songs/videos – now we have moved on to Goldie with better quality videos but just apalling taste in everything else! I am not proposing that every singer should hit a particular octave but come on! Nigerian music has gone WAY past this stage, we should not celebrate mediocrity on any level. Ahn Ahn! Abeg e don do!

16. BridgetOti

March 18, 2009 at 6:15 pm

That was ackward.
    I’ll like to move something

17. Bola

March 18, 2009 at 8:36 pm

No men, I think Bella should keep pitting up these vids, so that we can give them some good critique.
    I think what will heelp, is if you send the page link of our comments to th respective artisits, so that they can learn a thing or two.

18. yves la rock**

March 19, 2009 at 12:18 am

okay then what about Desperate CHicks…theyre underdogsss…no???

19. tatafo!

March 19, 2009 at 3:41 am

I concur with yves la rock** patiently waiting for Desperate Chicks to be profiled on BN.

20. Mobola

March 19, 2009 at 11:56 am

Don’t you know that it might do more harm than good? You know how insulting Nigerian people are…..Anyway I am trying not to be harsh but damn some people make it difficult. She needs to get some better beats and ermm get some better rhymes – see Dr. Frabs, Sosick, Don Jazzy, Terry G etc and for the love of God she should tone down her look! Too much flesh abeg. My two cents.

21. Mobola

March 19, 2009 at 11:58 am

Desperate chicks are the shit! They make me want to learn Ibo and I’m YORUBA lol I guess that’s always a good thing right? They are Nigeria’s Destinys Child, for real.

22. Bola

March 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

sure thing, il’d like to move these videos off this earth!

23. Bola

March 19, 2009 at 1:57 pm

its not being negative, its just telling things as they are.
    Aa le ri nkan to buru, ka pe ni nkan gidi.
    Truth hurts sometimes, these chicks need to seriously STEP UP their game!

24. nnenna

March 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm

i hate this girl, i didnt bother watching the video, i hate het on site…sorry!

25. Ladi

March 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm

DESPERATE CHICKS!!!!!! THOSE GIRLS ROCK THEY JUST NEED SOME IMAGE MAKEOVER!

I’M HAUSA AND I LOVE THEIR IGBO-DESTINY’S CHILD FLAVOR (RARE!) BELLA, BIKO!

26. jo

March 19, 2009 at 8:20 pm

i’m sorry all these artistes(naija divas) are rubbish …razz!razz!razz! the videos are painful to watch…..there’s a reason y they are not famous – thats becos none have originality – all doing the same thing (skimpy outfits, razz looking hair n make-up, trash music) – seriously Bella u could do better – u site should have standards abeg – its either u’re running out of material(i doubt) or u’re being paid to feature these ‘talentless’ artistes….not trying to be harsh or insensitive – but what happened to the Bella that featured the then upcoming stars like Banky W, Ayo, Nayo, ……mehn this is not it abeg …..frm Nayo to Fragrance like WT#?

27. BridgetOti

March 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm

your hausa? are u muslim?
    do u watch hausa song movies on youtube?
    have u been to niger?

28. randommer

March 20, 2009 at 7:55 pm

i think the videos are FUNNY.
    but the weave could be better
    oya shift to the dance floooooooooooooooooooooooor
    nansense

29. ucheboy

March 30, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I admire her dutchess style but she sounds like a rapper.U need 2 step up gal.

30. LOLA

March 31, 2009 at 12:03 am

She is ghetto…. too razzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    im sure d only person that would buy her album, is her parents. get a life and an education while u r at it.

31. Ginger

April 2, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I feel this gurl missed her calling!!! Hopefully she finds it in nollywood as one of the “mgbeke feeling funky” babes on campus lol!! my dear, am not trying be mean at all… i just pray u find a role that will give u back the money u spent on these videos.

U’re funny sha

• Espy

January 13, 2017 at 4:32 am

? ? Haba!! Can’t stop laughing. Lots have mercy!!

32. toya fisher

April 5, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I’m sorry but better beats, better lyrics cant salvage anything goldie touches,, she is crap personified you either have it or u dont, sister girl you dont so please kindly go back to wat u know how to do best, stripping for alhajis

33. adeola

June 4, 2009 at 8:51 pm

goldie rocks and i think she’s far more glamorous than most of the other naija female artistes out there.i believe she even has a degree in bizz mgt from sunderland university uk which i’m not sorry to say most of you commenting don’t sound lyk uv got

• Espy

January 13, 2017 at 4:33 am

I agree with You

34. Florence

June 4, 2009 at 9:22 pm

whatever you say about Goldie, I think she’s very bold and in your face.
    quite pretty too, I admire her and I’m a fan.

35. Florence

June 4, 2009 at 9:28 pm

you’re just jealous nnenna cuz she’z obviously prettier than you are.

36. Florence

June 4, 2009 at 9:32 pm

At least she can strip, what else can you do except slag off everyone but your fat ugly self?

37. GamGam

June 5, 2009 at 10:31 am

Gosh! im embarrassed for her πŸ™

38. DG

June 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I agree… JEALOUSY o!!!

39. Hadiza

June 5, 2009 at 2:58 pm

bella if I must b honest wiv u,ur abv caption on goldie dsnt really spark a likeability factor hence d strewn on neg comments dat follow. Hv u evr been 2 her website http://www.iamgoldie.com wer u’d find dat she’s recording a documentary aimed at empowering women? Did u know dat she lost her mum at d age of 13 to cervical cancer?ur not aware im sure dat she has an NGO aimed at assisting single mothers and struggling women attain their goals? D degree in business mgt she bagged myt just be d icing on d cake.how many odr so called naija divas hv degrees we can authenticate? bella I expected much more.pls research ur subjects wella b4 doing ryt ups on dem next tym.

40. Hadiza

June 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm

@ toya fisher; ud know abt goldie stripping for alhajis wouldn’t u? as ur both in it together but maybe she stole ur well paying alhajis from u dats y ur so bitter. eh yah.

41. Nyazivea

June 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm

To those emphasizing on the degree she’s got or the work she’s been doing with NGOs etc. tons of other Naija women have degrees and they know what to do with it.there not out shaking their ykw, with weirdly colored weaves shouting “SHIFT TO THE DANCEFLOOR”!

and her degree has nothing to do with the fact that the style just ain’t cutting it. she should have combined the money she used for 3 videos to make one video and invest in stylist, voice training and the other necessities.( business major abi)

and if shes truely interested in the welfare of fellow women shouldn’t she be singing songs that empower them and shouldn’t her image reflect that.

And as stated before there is a very thin line between sensual and skanky!
    my advice is to stick to black or brown weaves and to stop singing!

what I like about you: you are BOLD!

42. Larry

June 7, 2009 at 9:52 am

Well, for me there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way Goldie presents herself, she is intelligent, well spoken, articulate, and has an extremely nice persona. She is on top of her game and she knows what the market is looking for. She gets 10/10 from me, great songs, great style, great presentation. instead of trying to bring her down y’all should give her the encouragement and blessings to take Naija to the world and show it that we too have the looks, the class, the acts. Goldie, keep up the good work, you will always get knocks from those who are jealous but don’t have the guts to do what you are doing. Step up to the challenge Duchess and keep producing those sounds. God will bless you abundantly, Amen!!

43. tessy

June 7, 2009 at 10:20 am

you are not in any position to judge what is skanky and what is not. she is into entertainment and anything she does whether wearing weaves or screaming shift is aimed at that. she is empowering women by her image cuz she’s bold in ur face n she’s telling other women you can do whatever you want to n ur society or what people think of u shouldn’t hold u back or stop u from doing wat u relly love doing.
    having a business degree n still being able to go into music full time shows versatility don’t you think so?

44. tessy

June 7, 2009 at 10:27 am

also at nyazivea or watever u cal, ur self empress njama is blacker than black and she fixes the worst platinum hair ever.
    havnt heard any1 saying s* about her, yet u talk about goldie whose skin tone is fair.ur just a hater joo, n pls change ur name b4 u start telling oders what to do wiv their lives.ur name sounds disgusting
    goldie i love u n u inspire me everyday; much love!

45. tessy

June 7, 2009 at 10:40 am

how can u even compare her to fragrance? fragrance and goldie are two totally different artistes in evryway!
    u obviously don’t know wat ur talking about.just ask around who is more classy more everything goldie or fragrance?

46. lovely

June 10, 2009 at 11:00 pm

heard there’s this website they’re dissing ma gal…

just had to come see for myself… πŸ˜‰

47. Nyazivea

June 12, 2009 at 1:22 am

No this reply aint cutting it. I’m not judging anyone just stating the obvious. How many women would say they feel empowered after watching her videos?
    Nywaz if she’s going into music with an undeniable talent…meaning when she sings people are impressed…then we can speak of VERSATILITY.
    The girl is bold good for her yes. But if she is to truly represent Naija women, how about working on a few things that would create a better image. When rihanna started singing she sounded way crappy and her image didnt really go well with her. So she worked on both her voice and image why cant Goldie do the same. thats all i’m saying

48. Nyazivea

June 12, 2009 at 1:27 am

oh yea and tessy really reflects your ethnic background. What a joke!

49. Nyazivea

June 12, 2009 at 1:31 am

And I don’t know rho the Freak NJAMA is. If I didnt give a heck about naija females I would not have made a comment….and besides I wouldn’t be surprised if Tessa and Goldie were the same….i mean you seem to be taking it way too personal…..i can only wonder

50. s.....q

June 12, 2009 at 12:47 pm

whats wrong with goldie? imao ders nothing wrong with her, hers style is different and she’s just little bit eccentric is all, hv u seen the new video feat ojb again? lol..

51. fresh

June 13, 2009 at 4:53 pm

chai! see dissing oh………. πŸ™

52. justina

July 4, 2009 at 1:03 am

I like the first video;komole I blv its called,its got lyk the naija flav and she just comes across like a young babe who wants to have fun
    graphics on the spin me video are tight; love the french maid costume(lol)wasn’t that that crazy sound city boy on the guitar?(lol) not too crazy about the song itself sha..

53. Es Tee

December 1, 2010 at 4:55 am

@ Nyazivea, if this was facebook, I would have “liked” your first two comments. My sentiments exactly.
    Why do Nigerians like going on about what degree someone has and what not? Like Goldie has a degree so wow, it makes her a great artist!!! Abeg, let’s cut to the chase…the chic can’t sing and her style is quite distasteful. Negative comments doesn’t mean one’s hating. It just means the person in question is not BRINGING IT.

54. Espy

January 13, 2017 at 4:27 am

LMAO! U were as nice as possible. She made good attempts at the outfits though

55. Espy