My Style: Mimi Jegede

Posted on Monday, July 13th, 2009 at 11:23 AM

By Ijeoma Ndekwu

n543595176_2695930_3748_copyIt’s your regular dose of the BN feature; My Style! If you are interested in appearing on this page, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical Day and Night Look with a short summary of your style to my mail box: ijeoma.ndekwu@bellanaija.com

When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be! Thanks to those who have participated so far, keep the mails coming.

Let’s remember that this feature is about appreciating an individual’s expression through clothing!

BellaNaija reader, Tumi Jegede from a young age just loved dressing up!!!  She describes her style as a true reflection of her random personlity; that and many more!!!

TUMI’S STYLE:

Some people describe my style as being cute, but I disagree. In fact my style is kind of mature and reserved (probably due to all those times being forced to follow mum shopping in Marks and Spencer’s)! I don’t like showing cleavage – not even a little, but most of the time it’s gimmicky. My gigantic Rubiks cube bag will explain what I mean. I’ve never really been into high street shops, though recently I’ve been venturing out there more recently for casuals and basics, I mean the TopShops, H&Ms, River Island and Miss Selfridges just because they all seem to be following the same trends and I am not trendy. Instead I opt for TKMaxx, eBay worldwide shopping and designer outlets (where you can get the hottest bargains!!).

WHY DO YOU LOVE YOUR STYLE:

I really love my style because unlike other things in life, I know no one can do it better than me. No one can express the way I feel better than I can. I want to get better at dressing for me though, I’ve been conscious about what I wear and its effects from a very young age. If I could say anything else, I would say I love the link between my personality and my style, I think my personality really comes across well in my clothes, I think its mostly due to the fact that I don’t follow trends so I never wear things I feel uncomfortable in just because it’s in.

HOW IT EXPRESSES TUMI’S PERSONALITY:

My style is very very random and I see it as an expression of my personality. I’m a very random girl and this has a lot to do with the fact that I’ve always wanted to be outstanding, to be different, counter-current, and since the yoyo was a hit in primary school I haven’t followed a trend since.

Sometimes green is in, sometimes it’s not, sometimes it’s tight jeans, then I change my mind, “Guys, I’ve decided to cut my hair finally – short”, but then I come back from the salon with 20 extra inches attached onto my hair. That’s my style, it sounds like I’m indecisive and truly, I should look a mess, but in fact, it’s quite the opposite. My outfits are like a train of thought, starting with no item in particular but with a destination in mind. I have to admit, I have dressed to impress, but mostly I’m trying to impress myself, I’m trying to see what I can and can’t get away with.

HAIR:

I won’t claim to be the most adventurous person when it comes to hairstyles, but I’ve had my fair share of randomness this year . . . here are a few of my favourites.

3699569469_72701cc2ec_o

MAKE-UP:

I will admit I’m addicted to makeup, but I’m grateful that I can control this addiction. Credit goes to my older sister who always passed me down her unwanted makeup and to my mum for buying me dolls, whose makeup I would use on myself. I’m a designer and artist by nature and because as a child I wasn’t spoiled with lots of craft materials at my disposal, I turned to things such as makeup to create my masterpiece, after all it’s all about painting a pretty picture. Makeup is not about creating something that’s not there, (though I must admit that I have added Marilyn moles a few times before), it’s about enhancing. This isn’t a nicer way of saying hiding, but instead it really is enhancing. I believe most people’s best facial features are their eyes, and that’s why most girls, even those that profess to wear the bare minimum of makeup, will always have eyeliner/Kohl or mascara.

3700380982_08db497b73_o

DAY LOOK:

* Winter

Waistcoat: Miss Selfridges, Boots: Nine West

Waistcoat: Miss Selfridges, Boots: Nine West

Bag: Paul's Boutique

Bag: Paul's BoutiqueJacket: Stark, Shoes: Accessorize

* Autumn

Jacket: Stark, Shoes: Accessorize

Jacket: Stark, Shoes: Accessorize

3699585987_512282bc2f
Jumper: Zara

Jumper: Zara

*Summer
Shorts...is there a better way to get your legs out without coming off as too sexy???

*Spring

Overthrow: Zara

Overthrow: Zara

Top: TkMaxx, Dress: ebay

Top: TkMaxx, Dress: ebay

JEWELLERY:
I believe that hair completes about 60%; clothes are 20% along with another 20% from accessories. (It’s funny that I say that, yet I have more clothes than I know what to do with my crazy amount of jewellery).

3699569881_1ce7344c2a_o

ACCESSORIES:

Chandelier earrings for all occasions and bracelets. The occasional ring or earring studs.I love chandelier earrings!!!

One the rare occasion that I’ve got time and I’m feeling eccentric – I do my own glue-on acrylic nail designs

BAGS:
I tend to have a favourite bag which I carry with me everywhere, though I change this bag (from time to time), for the time that it’s my favourite, you won’t see me anywhere without it. Below are my four most favourite bags for this year.
From left: Online, Tokyo, TkMaxx

From left: Online, Tokyo, TkMaxx

Bag: Asos

Bag: Asos

NIGHT LOOK: I have the formal…

Dress: Tom Wolfe3699571227_d4fe9ccc19

I went gimmicky for the end of year ball in this dress by Tom Wolfe. Carrying my Rubiks cube bag with me, my six-inch platform heels and adding a little touch on the hair with the cream flower hair clip.

Dress (not actually a dress – but a top – look below): Zara, Shoes: All Saints, Belt: Primark

SHOES:
My favourite shoes from left: Dune, Oasis.

My favourite shoes from left: Dune, Oasis.

Shoes: Asos

Shoes: Asos

These shoes will probably look ridiculous in a few years from now, remember our parents and their ‘boogey platforms’ from the 70s ?? But they give all 5ft and 2inches of me an extra 6inches of height!!
And for the informal look, it’s a mix and match of cheap and designer brands.
Jacket: Stark, Dress: Monsoon, Shoes: Matalan

Jacket: Stark, Dress: Monsoon, Shoes: Matalan

I wore this combo to dinner, strangely in this boring student schedule of mine, I find dinners as the perfect excuse to put on some snazzy outfits and enjoy a nice meal.
Dress: Auw, Cardigan: borrowed, Bag: Primark

Dress: Auw, Cardigan: borrowed, Bag: Primark

A meal at NANDOS: I added some sophistication to the bright pink hair by pulling it back in a neat bun and wearing a very librarian-style outfit, though the kick was the fact that it was figure hugging.

Out to the movies at Cineworld; Blue dress: Primark, Jacket: Primark

Out to the movies at Cineworld; Blue dress: Primark, Jacket: Primark

Night out; Leather look leggings: TkMaxx, Top: Newlook

Night out; Leather look leggings: TkMaxx, Top: Newlook

Jacket: Stark (TkMaxx), Belt: Primark, Shoes: ASOS, Dress: Monsoon

Jacket: Stark (TkMaxx), Belt: Primark, Shoes: ASOS, Dress: Monsoon

Skirt: Topshop, Shoes: Matalan

Skirt: Topshop, Shoes: Matalan

Funny how I seem to be wearing high street clothes when I go out.

Funny how I seem to be wearing high street clothes when I go out.

Well, that’s all I’ve got for now; thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed My Style.

bellanaija

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 65 Comments on “My Style: Mimi Jegede”

Comments
    • olofofo July 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM

“I know no one can do it better than me. No one can express the way I feel better than I can” ha!ha!ha is this babe for real?

• olofofo July 13, 2009 at 1:37 PM

i love her blue e bay dress

• Tumi Jẹgẹdẹ July 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Yeah, it’s true. Can anyone do your style better than you??

• ITK July 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Makes sense to me. And that’s exactly how it should be- No one should be able to express the way YOU feel better than you! The girl is just trying to say that unlike other things in this life, the one thing she can do better than anyone else is be herself. Nothing wrong with that… free the girl abeg.

That said, I don’t like her style sha… LMAO! And that rubik’s cubs bag- is that a joke?

• meatpie July 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

lol!!!This chic is actually replying sa!!!

• Kpakpando Nwanyi July 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Why shouldn’t she?

• lwkmd July 13, 2009 at 4:30 PM

that bag is a joke and the fact that she is replying a comment is a bigger joke.lwkmd

• S July 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM

hmn.. her style is just there! nothing major.. plus i thought she said she didnt do high street? lol

• Bola July 13, 2009 at 4:59 PM

honestly, this ‘my style’ is becoming a bit of a yawn.
      well, i guess most people dont dress any way that different form the norm.

at least, she didnt say her style was unique in a great way. she kept it simple and honest.

• rizzle July 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

that bag is atrocious.

• NKay July 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Ya’ll are a bit harsh. The style is not that bad. But I do agree that people definitely follow the norm in terms of trends.

• Jimbotronicks July 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Ummm…OK….

• Yaffa July 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Such a pretty girl! I like the cube bag (so fun), the jewellery tree and her shoes!!

• Original Mgbeke July 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Her bag and shoe game is hot. Definitely feeling that rubick cube bag; I like to see interesting, quirky pieces.

• elle woods July 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM

bunch of hateful heifers on here. Dont be mad cos all you wear is cut and sew. I bet majority of you wear salu bata and dress like SU on a regular. I don’t see any of you being featured on here. If you have the balls to share your style then do so. Otherwise STFU!.

• nenea July 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Honestly Bella i think you should scrap this “my style” part, cos all people do is tear these poor girls down.It is impossible to like everyone’s style but being rude and uncivilized is just wrong…..

• policeisyourfriend July 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM

HA!!HAA!!!HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      omg…people take these things so fucking serious!!!
      but that bag is fucking awful…looks like a freaking jewelry box or something

• Ego July 14, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Tumi my sister please dont mind them,i love that u choose to be urself despite the reigning trends,something most girls are too afraid to do because they bliv they will loose all their friends!rock on darling!:) notin do u!!

• Toyin July 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM

Girl, do your thing! It’s your style so rock whatever outfits and accessories that makes you feel comfortable and glamorous. There are too many folks on here who specialize in leaving rude and callous comments. Unlike some folks, I might not like your style but there’s absolutely no need for me to condemn it! Keep doing you!

• kaka July 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM

its not quirky its just plain stupid

• aosgrl July 14, 2009 at 5:58 AM

cute girl. When she makes an effort she’s gorg. I love the long weave look on her with the pink dress, grey sweater and gladiator heels.

Noo Bella don’t stop with the my style segment. People who want to be idiots will be idiots regardless. Kudos to the girls brave enough to do a feature.

• aosgrl July 14, 2009 at 5:59 AM

By the way, I would like to know where she got the jewelry tree from. I need that in my life.

• Tee July 14, 2009 at 8:06 AM

To all those passing negative judgemnts, that is why the topic is called ‘MY’ style…’HER’ style…if u don’t like, feature ur own style. lawdy!

• Gamgam July 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

i totally want the Nine west boots.

• Sugabelly July 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Why is there a line of text on the side of all her pictures? Was she in a magazine? Are these clips from the magazine?

• Adia July 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Tumi, I LOOOOVEEE the ebay dress!!! how can I get it..as in what should i type in on ebay?

• Adia July 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Tumi I absolutely love the ebay dress and the jewelry tree!! how I get them? as in whta do I type in on ebay for the dress?

• Original Mgbeke July 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Wow, some of you are so negative. Tufiakwa!

• *Dith* July 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM

if that cube purse were to have been worn by Rihanna or one of d celebs u guys worship, it would hv been seen as hot, fab, original. U guys are just……..(feel free to fill in d blank).

• tee July 15, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Wow @ some of the hateful comments..yll need to chill ok… dang.

You don’t hve to be sooo ruuude to make a point guys. If u don’t like her style..just say so.. why insult her? woooow. Some of yll are just internet thugs anyway..i bet if u see her in public u wont say shitt… foools.

• Tumi Jẹgẹdẹ July 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM

Thanks.

It’s from eBay and is delivered from China (if you don’t mind the wait). (I’m not sure about external links on BellaNaija but here goes nothing:

The Jewellery tree however is from IKEA :).

• Tina July 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM

I love her eye Make-up..especially the gold one…Really cute

• KK July 15, 2009 at 7:36 AM

what part of “My style” do you have difficulty comprehending?
      you wack soul….

• MM.A July 15, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Awww, cute style and a really pretty girl. . .
      What’s with all the negative comments, y’all should just get a life, ghetto rats >:(

• wow! July 15, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Really loving this babe!

• Candice July 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

This is really nice!

• bambiigal July 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

if i must say, i notice your face before i noticed your clothes which is the way REAL ‘fashionistas’ should be, don’t let the clothes wear you. Everything is personal and not following what you think is cool. I love ebay and have been shopping there for vintage pieces since 2000, not because it’s in vogue but the cut and fit are so much better as i can’t sew and i love the 60s/70s fashion.Also, you are less likely to bump into someone with the same thing.keep on with your style you look fab.

p.s. I don’t know this chick – she’s just the best dressed i have seen on here.

• bambiigal July 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM

if Tiffany Amber put that bag in her new collection, i’m sure you guys will be singing a different song.

• Qeema July 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I think she’s fresh, cute and classy. Very upbeat and well put together sense of style. You go, girl!

• Qeema July 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Gosh… why so bitchy? You’re just stupidly mean. Anyway, I like the fact that she’s responding oh jare… Tumi, keep it up. I like your spirit. And it’s so true – nobody can do you like you!

• Ko Easy July 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM

the shoes are on fire men!! and she did take a risk with that rubic cube bag, but she’s really doing justice to it, she’s working it! kudos girl! you have a unique style and you manage it well!

• Bola July 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM

wow, people are rili getting really heated up over this lady’s style.
      I laughed reallly hard at some of the hateful banter btw y’all!

Tumi must be loving this- cuz HER style has def made an impact

• yummy July 16, 2009 at 5:07 AM

hi, tumi jegede

• Mobola July 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Errrrrr no.
      Even if Hermes made the bag – I still wouldn’t like it. And that is me.

• opolo nta e July 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM

see these idiots saying if it had been worn by a celeb we would have liked it!!!!is that they way you function!!!that bag is ridiculous….thats my thought on d bag freaking ridiculous

• Bola July 17, 2009 at 7:11 AM

WOW, absolutely no need for hurling insults. Its just a BAG not POLITICS!

• *Dith* July 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Lol i think it is quite clear who d big idiot is my dear.

Dont let me descend on u on this site ooo lol
      All these e-thugs sef.
      Man pikin don tire.

• *Dith* July 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I was referring to the internet gangster that is shitting her pants over a friggin purse.
      The name Opolo suits u very well if i may add. lol

• adaeze July 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM

i luv the bag…its different, edgy….
      some of u here are just so rude its a shame…..her style is her style..whether its just there,regular,vintage ,major,gothic..whatever, its “HER STYLE”..get it peeps!
      tumi..ur style is cute,u dress for your body type and luv a good no of pieces u have on in dis pics…. keep doing u..never mind d haters…they’re just bullies who hide behind a monitor and keyboard..lawd knows what half of them look like!

• notbad July 18, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Loooove the Tokyo bag and great job on the makeup.

Bella maybe you should disable comments on the “my style” segment. The personal attacks are a bit much

• Sugabelly July 19, 2009 at 4:25 AM

I strongly disagree. Celebrities have worn a lot of questionable things over the years and most of us have had the good sense (and independence of thought) not to wear them.

You could not pay me to carry that bag around.

• sting July 20, 2009 at 5:23 AM

LOL… Elle, u just made my day. That was freaking funny.

• sting July 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM

I like the rubiks cube bag. It is very original. Overall, i like her style because it’s not trendy and she seems to be comfortable being herself. Good job Tumi. Continue doing you.

• Nikky July 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM

No one has to like or approve ur style as long as u r happy with it. i love the make up, the shoes n purses r great esp. the rubix cube purse, i find it really different and distinctive. i would love to v a rubix cube purse too!

• Miss Fizzy July 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM

When i saw Tumi’s segment I exhaled a bit. It was such a breath of fresh air! Finally, someone whose style I can relate to. The other girls just seemed like overkill and too high maintenance…. gave me a headache. Tumi do you. I’m feeling your style.

• Sophia Egbelo July 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Nice shoe collection you’ve got Tumi. Good Job.

• Syba July 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Some people need an overdose on chill! What the fk is wrong with the rubik bag! If u no like am, wen u see am! No buy!
      Damm people!
      With that said, gal doesnt hav a distinct style..not bad,not special either.

• silva July 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Tunmi i like ur fresh-facedness ( if there’s a word like dat)..despite d fact dat u like make-up, u still manage to look fresh faced & natural, its a good thing cos it lets people see the real u… i also like d fact dat u dress for size, good for u…

• silva July 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

i meant for ur size…

• Tumi Jẹgẹdẹ July 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Thanks everyone, constructive and none constructive. It’s all appreciated.

• tgirl August 7, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Tumi you are such a cutie.. I love your style and your shoes are tres fab!

• oyinkansola August 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM

please abeg free the babe,
      This my style section has become something else
      I really liked your style beacuse it was you and it is something you can see normal everyday girls wearing
      Please if anyone is hating it is probably due to the fact that they are jealous

• Blossom June 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I think her face is just super-cute. Love!

• ESSAY July 31, 2010 at 3:59 AM

gosh what do gals do best… hate terrible. its her style and nobody was forced in to reading it kmt

• posh July 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I totally love d cube bag…I tink its unique