Very sad news this evening, renowned Nigerian designer, Remi Osholake of Remi Lagos is dead.
Details are not confirmed but the designer reportedly died from Uterine Cancer (Endometrial Cancer) or Ovarian cancer which was just diagnosed in October 2012. She was reportedly receiving treatment at a world class medical centre in London.

Remi has been a fundamental part of the Nigerian fashion industry for over two decades. Her signature kaftans were best sellers and she showed at fashion shows all over the world.

She was 51 years old.

One of Remi’s closest friends, fellow designer, Adebayo Jones posted this short but moving note on his Facebook page

THANKING YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND PRAYERS
Sadly my dear friend who has been in hospital treatment for Cancer, whom most of you have prayed for and sent goodwill messages has passed away moments ago.
I am still in shock. I just don’t get it how someone can be diagnosed and be gone within two weeks.
I saw her on Thursday and she was in a very delicate state which greatly distressed me the whole night and Friday. I really did wish there was something I could have done.
This morning just about 12 Noon I was praying for another Friend going through an operatiion as I write, and I spent the rest of the time praying for my dear friend Remi and pleading God’s mercy.
Got the message just after I finished praying.
May her soul find perfect peace AMEN.
Thank you all for your prayers and God bless you all.

Dear Remi .. You will be greatly missed as an truly beautiful soul and a great Artisan..
You have left a big mark that can not be easily equalled. It’s been quite a while and a blessing knowing you since 1987 just after returning from England to set up your first outlet Freaky Designs..
The joy for me is that you experienced LOVE right to the end.. We all Loved you and you Loved us back equally..
I will not forget your words.. You told me
“”TELL THE WORLD I LOVE THEM”
and just so you know dearest Remi

WE LOVE YOU TOO..

Peace and love to all the family… Have to stop here
Have no more words at the moment.

We will miss your beautiful smile! Rest in Peace.

55 Comments on Rest in Peace. Pioneer Nigerian Designer Remi Osholake of Remi Lagos has passed away
  • storm November 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Oh dear! RIP.

• Ezi November 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm

RIP. Ovarian cancer is such a silent killer – home or abroad because patients tend to present with symptoms so late. Ladies, let’s take the opportunity to learn the symptoms : http://www.ovarian.org.uk/ovarian-cancer/

• Audrey November 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Thank you! Your link was helpful

• Paula November 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

May her soul rest in perfect peace.Amen

• NNENNE November 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm

May your innovative soul rest in perfect peace!

• Toyosi November 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

So so sad

• smexymiable November 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm

May her soul Rest in Perfect Peace

• EUCK November 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Aunty Remi. Your beautiful spirit and kind smile will surely be missed. Rest well.

• sealed lips November 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

How sad. May her soul rest in peace

• t November 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

OMG!!!…Remi Lagos was one of the first Nigerian designers I knew and loved. This is so sad. May God grant her family strength in this trying times. Just an addition, ladies, please it is VERY IMPORTANT that we get pap smears done. It is very effective for early detection of ovarian cancers. May God keep us all. AMEN.

• t November 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

sorry I meant for early detection of *cervical cancers* and other likely female reproductive diseases.

• Sexxie November 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm

May her sweet jolly soul rest in perfect peace, amen.

• detutu November 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

aww this is sad… may her gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

• kingsley November 3, 2012 at 6:42 pm

May her body n soul rest on Gods side.

• Non professional opinion November 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm

A very talented designer. Even when the industry was in its infancy her quality was impeccable. Her presence will be sorely missed. May her soul rest in perfect peace.

• Soraya November 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I don’t think cancer was the direct cause of death- it may have been due to heart attack or even malnutrition which was probably aggravated by the cancer which weakened her ability to fight. RIP Remi

• lori November 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Condolences…..RIP

• Olive November 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Remi Lagos was such a beautiful person. I will never forget 3 years ago when she took me under her wings and personally prepared me for the MBGN 2009 pageant. Imagine doing that for someone you had never even met before. Such a heart of gold. May her soul rest in perfect peace. Adieu ma.

• Fabmimi November 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Remi we will miss that lovely Charismatic Smile……………..Smile with the Angels till we meet .

• Sbaby November 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm

May her soul rest in peace, Very sad

• Anon November 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm

RIP. The ignorance from women about pap smears is startling. Jade Goody’s example should be a lesson to all.

• Rhoda November 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm

This is a surprise. Thanks for the link, it is quite insightful. Any form of education on it will go a long way, so please everyone should read and get checked. RIP Remi. You used to love to take walks on Bode Thomas, Surulere. I saw you a couple of times. This is really really shocking and very sad! http://www.thelearningcraft.blogspot.com

• Binta November 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Short of words….RIP ma

• Amber November 3, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Eeeeya…it was caught so late…may her soul RIP…ladies please go for Pap smear once sexually active,do self breast exam..these can save lives.there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

• omoba pele November 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Remi lagos May her soul rest in perfect peace………………

• Tinuke November 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

So sad, may her soul rest in perfect peace.

• new bride November 3, 2012 at 11:09 pm

May her soul rest in peace. I knew of her from Funmi Iyanda’s blog, may the holy spirit comfort her family and friends.

• Idak November 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones she has left behind.

• ‘Nifesimi November 3, 2012 at 11:26 pm

RIP. May God comfort your friends and family.

• TheFolake November 3, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Hardly knowing me, she was still very kind and supportive of my career. During a brief meeting in her shop at MegaPlaza, she encouraged me to return and practice my craft at home, in Nigeria…”we need to encourage our young ones to return”. We lost touch shorty after meeting but I thought of her often, always remembering her warmth and support. Rest In Peace Aunty Remi.

• Zen November 3, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Rip

• Pinkfunky November 4, 2012 at 12:13 am

Our home is the place where we spend the most time yet is often our most TOXIC environment, being educated is the first step to living an empowered lifestyle. Going to the market and shopping for everyday items will never be the same as consumers become more educated and begin to think differently about the food, personal care items, and household products they’re bringing into their homes.”

• Soraya November 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

What are you on about??? The leading cause of cancer (and particularly cancer of any of the reproductive organs) is a virus which mutates into carcinogen and there are even some studies pointing to sex as the culprit- this is why every sexually active woman in the UK is invited for annual cervical smear!

• Mee November 5, 2012 at 8:06 am

Nope, virus is not the cause of CANCER. You might be referring to human Papilloma Virus that has been indicated in Cervical cancer, but it is wrong to say that Virus is the leading cause of cancer. Food also is involved, even genetic make-up, some races are more attuned to some types of cancer.
        Thanks

• HOUSE OF ZINNO November 4, 2012 at 12:33 am

RIP Remi, may your soul continue to rest with the angels. As a sign of respect we at HOUSE OF ZINNO dedicate our black collection 2012 to you.

• Aduke November 4, 2012 at 4:40 am

Very very sad! :( Rest In Perfect Peace Aunty.

• Akindele @ Cheapest Bulk SMS in NIgeria November 4, 2012 at 4:55 am

May her gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

• Nnenna November 4, 2012 at 5:48 am

May her soul rest in peace… didnt know her personally but i still aspire to the kind of longevity she had in the fashion industry… thanks for inspiring a few of us. God bless and keep u. :(

• R November 4, 2012 at 6:15 am

May her soul rest in peace, and may God comfort her loved ones

• faith November 4, 2012 at 9:05 am

may hher soul rip

• temmy November 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

Love her smile,may her soul r.I.p.

• DocDeola November 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

She oozed warmth and radiance in above pic. May her sweet soul rest in perfect peace, amen. NB – cervical ca can be picked up by smears or reduced by vaccination in young gals. Any bleeding between period / after sex, see a doc. Any bleeding after menopause could be endometrial ca. Bloating, rapid swelling of tummy, tired, feeling sick could be ovarian ca. It can also be picked up by a blood test ca125.

• D Fairy Godsister November 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm
  • Couture By Makioba November 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm

RIP Remi Lagos…… She was one of the first Fashion designers I noticed in Nigeria way b4 today……

• Tolu Fisher November 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm

RIP my dear cousin and you will be greatly missed. I have read some of the comments here and ladies please go for a smear test. It is compulsory for all females. And I had a bad smear once and was treated so thank God I went for a smear test otherwise i wouldn’t have been here to tell you all. And for her sister Tomi I will call you and God give you strength.

• feyi A November 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm

may her soul rest in peace and her family have strength to bare d loss.

• Bella November 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

May her soul rest in Peace, Amen.

• Desire November 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

Rest in Peace Remi Lagos. You are a rare gem. Where does one go to get pap smear in lagos?

• June bug November 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm

RIP Remi Lagos, it is always so sad to hear of untimely deaths. May God comfort her friends and family at this difficult time.

Please ladies, try and have cervical screenings as often as is recommended. In the UK I believe it is every 3 years from the age of 25.

• bunmi November 6, 2012 at 12:13 am

auntyremi,we gonna miss u so much,u are reali hardworking with gud spirit.you where a luvly cousin may your soul rest in peace

• Hadiza November 6, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Warm, friendly, calm…I remember how I met Remi Lagos in Abuja in 2002. I was on my way to the video club (you had to pass by infront of her shop to get to the video club) and she called out and said hello and invited me into her shop. We got talking and I loved most of the clothes on the rack. I bought 2 beautiful skirts and always got compliments when I wore them. She was ever so friendly… you will be missed Remi

• Remi Lagos November 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

Remi….waoh…. u were a bit troublesome and stubborn to me as one of ur bankers but so lively and nice… u always cracked me up anytime u come into the bank. may the Lord accept ur soul. Amen

• BEN November 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm

“Remi Lagos” will never forget the brand name, would also stare at it on Bode thomas road, on my way to and back from secondary school in 90s. smh. what a world!! but in all, i thank God for the impact in made here on earth, probably fulfilled ur purpose on earth. Rest in peace ma.