In the wake of the donation of a private jet to Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor by members of his church – Word of Life Bible Church, Delta state, there has been a slew of criticism from other religious leaders and Christians.

Many have criticized the Pastor saying the acquisition of such an expensive item is an exploitation of members of his church. Since the criticisms started, the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Pastor Oritsejafor, had not given any response. However, he broke his silence in an interview with Vanguard speaking about the private jet.

He narrated some difficult experiences he’d  had when he travelled to preach the gospel further justifying the importance of the private jet.

You may have heard me speak about my trip to Indonesia, to Jakarta. In fact,  it wasn’t even Jakarta I was going to, but I had to stay inside an airport in Jakarta for five hours to wait for my flight, to get to the very city I was going. I was only going to preach for two hours there. I flew from Lagos to Dubai and I spent over three hours, changed flight to fly to Jakarta and then stayed five hours at the airport just to catch a flight to where I was going to, where I was to preach for just two hours.

And after everything, I got a flight from that place again to Jakarta, stayed at the airport again for another five hours, then flew into Dubai, stayed again at the airport for another three hours before I flew into Lagos. It took me four days to make a journey to preach for two hours. I’m a human being and I am not getting younger every day.

“And locally, it is worse, for instance, the acting General Secretary of CAN lost his father in a place outside Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and I had to be there. I preached in a place in Lagos on a Friday and needed to be back to Warri on a Saturday, but at the end of the day, the plane that would have taken me was no where.

I had to charter a plane for N3.5 million to take me to Uyo, waited for me to finish and then take me back to Warri. Two weeks ago, a young pastor in Port Harcourt built a new church and had been on me all this while to come and dedicate the church and suddenly from no where, there was this flood that cut off the road to Port Harcourt.

There is no road now to Port Harcourt. If you want to go by road now, it takes you up to 12 hours to get to Port Harcourt and I had to preach in Port Harcourt, I had to preach in Lagos, I had to preach in Abuja and other places. Finally, I was able to find my way to Port Harcourt, it was on a Saturday.

I had to get to Warri that Saturday so as to be able to preach the next day, Sunday. Do you know what I had to finally do? I chartered a helicopter that cost me N2 million to drop me in Warri. When they dropped me here, ah, I can’t tell you how I felt that I had to part with that sum. But I had promised the young man and the church and if I had said  no, will it be right? I can go on and on and on.

He said he didn’t even know the church members who donated the jet but that they constituted a committee for the purpose and that his wife worked closely with the committee.

According to him, they decided to donate the jet after they became aware of the suffering he was undergoing whenever he travelled in and out of Nigeria to peach the gospel. “They feel the pain I go through and they feel painful for not seeing me most of the time,” he explained. “They don’t like it, they are troubled.”

He concluded by saying the plane was not a luxury but a necessity. “This is my story about the plane. And I’m not ashamed to own a plane, I think it is a necessity and not a luxury for some of us deeply involved in the work of God to own planes.”

88 Comments on “I’m Not Ashamed to Own a Plane” – Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor speaks on Private Jet Acquisition
  • fidelia November 25, 2012 at 2:32 pm

12hrs from warri to ph hmmmmmm.why didn’t he shift all those appoints or send delegates for some of them.we are in no place to judge though.Only God can….

• Asiasands November 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

of course he isnt ashamed! its Nigeria we are talking about here.. a lawless country where each man is to his own! He obviously has a flock of willing sheep and he is very happy being the wolf amongst them…

• Doskite September 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Are you a Christ-ian (like Christ)? Am just asking, cause the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ, if i recall vividly with Mary Magdalene says “He who is without sin, cast the first stone”……WE are blaspheming a man who is dedicated to the Christian community in Nigeria….may Jehovah God help this country, especially the so-called “Christians” that blaspheme thru Monday-Saturday, and on SUnday; arms lifted up in church praising God

• Que November 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm

He was really sufferin go eyahhhh!!!…*very relatable* d next time traffic gets too much in lagos i’ll be sure to steal a few cheques for private charter…

I just find it sad that people who should be encouraging faith, service, sharing and modesty are the ones at the forefront of secluding themselves from the people they should be serving… these days apparently God has not blessed you until u can fly above every traffic and flood situation…

• Lola November 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Yeah..right!

• Joe November 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Absolute rubbish, do you know how many lives and home you would have saved with that sum of money renting plains? Never a fan of this man anyway, he’s too extravagant to be a pastor…. 80% of pastors in naija, God will hv some interesting time with them . Won’t judge, I case my rest huh……

• Kenny Fredick November 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Saving lives and families ke!!!!????? Did they ever tell you that was their mission??? Abeg leave matter…..

• Ona November 26, 2012 at 1:22 am

saving lives and families are not their mission? what is then?

• yoyo November 26, 2012 at 1:15 am

too much social media use is destroying peoples grammar. its ‘planes’ not ‘plains’. geez

• Gloria Ebrakeme September 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Jesus said the poor will always be amongst you.Papa Ayo cannot take care of everybody in Nigeria but He has been touching so many lives and has practically live his life for people.Every 26th of december is a day tagged poverty alleviation programme in word of life bible church in collobration with eagle flight bank, where brand new cars ,keke-nepal,grinding machines worth millions of naira are given out to peopke for free,thjis is just to mentioned but a few,so,pls,work on your reasoning faculty before you open your mouth to talk about God’s servant next time.

• Joseph September 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

Gullible followers like you shouldn’t speak when serious national issues as this are being taken care of.

• Partyrider November 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I hear!
    Next please

• Akindele @ Bulk SMS in Nigeria November 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I don’t see anything bad in it, regardless of his reasons, so far he did not personally ask his church members to contribute money to buy such private jet. According to his explanations, the private jet was willing bought for him by a group of his members. I wish him all the best.

• iol November 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

except that his wife was a member of the donation committee

• deeznut November 26, 2012 at 1:34 am

his wife worked closely with the commitee so it should not be a suprise to him he got a jet.. Also Jesus sent out his diciples to preach while he was on earth, if he had all these engagements he should have sent his pastors out so he can meet up important engagements. the work of God is not for one man to do. Infact reading his reasons does not make sense to me

• fuckfakepriests November 25, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I really wanna be the last to be judged on the d-day so I can see who the fake pastors r!

• Monica November 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

ok. May God forgive me for judging

• Funmi November 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I think the hilarity of seeing “necessity” and “plane” in the same sentence made this article worth reading. Here I was thinking that word referred to stuff like oxygen, water and food. You learn something new everyday.

• chichi November 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm

lmao..i love you

• Ayana November 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

You are spot on Funmi….I’m in no position to judge him ..but seriously is he for real with what he’s just said?

• intheoverseas November 25, 2012 at 8:36 pm

LOVE your comment

• Collosus November 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Lolll. Well written!!

• LOLA November 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I believe no one should judge. Let GOD judge for himself.

• Stella November 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I hope you don’t judge the prostitutes on the road? And you don’t judge the armed robber that stole from you? And you don’t judge that girl your partner might be cheating with?

Stupid mentality that is daily killing Nigerians.

“pastors” and politicians have you where they want you!!!

• Iris November 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Stella this is me giving you a big fat hug for this comment! His suffering comment kind of cracked me up sha. I suppose suffering is relative lol. I just hope he uses this necessity for a plane as a means to advocate actively for a better aviation system in Nigeria

• wantn November 25, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Backward nigerian mentality, am tired of all this judge not, judgement day stuffs. When are these fools going to learn, it all ends here. These pastors are all guy men, honestly i envy their intelligent, smart ass motherfuckers. Let the judgement rain on me. lol.

• faith November 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

The pple dat go to these churches r fools…

• Adele November 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Exactly. Gullible fools. As are most Nigerians anyway…

• Godfears Trusted November 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Lets build a Nigeria and a world of no prejudice. Why are you judging an anointed man whose obligation is to serve man and accountable to God only. Don’t look to the favour of men as fools. Did the church members complained that they were force or mangled? Jesus has blessed the church and the church is the people. Therefore allow the people to serve their servant of God. The poor people needs can’t meet in a day. Even if you like, start giving all the poor people gift of your choice or their immediate needs around your domain. The same people will turn against you that you are helping them with the loot of your past. So live and lets live without impostor and apostasy in this short life pf maximum 120 years. God bless you

• Lizzie November 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Like i will always say, be pained only if your money was there. if it wasn’t, then free both the buyers and the owner…. i see nothing wrong with the president of CAN owning a jet.

• Oluwaseun Babajide November 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Not sure why he should be ashamed!

• Adele November 25, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Of course you don’t. You grew up in a land and community where materialism reigns and there’s no transparency. 35 cool mil for renting a plane! Hmm, does he pay taxes at all, has he ever declared his assets and shown any sort of transparency? Heck, there’s nothing wrong with being very very rich. Do you see us asking the likes of Bob Izua in Benin to declare their assets? But when you are in a certain position, you should have a clean record, especially if it’s the business of God. It is people like you that voted in PDP again after 12 years of abysmal records. Young sir, you are part of the problem and why this country has no future. I am very bitter!

• mhydhe November 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Dis all bulshitt..dint jesus walk Distance to reach the people he witness for?abeg make he cut the story jooo shebi he’s a man of God so he shld learn to persevere. That’s the work of a leader especially the religious one . They shld emulate he that they are following his footstep.

• His Excellency November 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Warri and Delta people say he will have a jet to carry the good news effectively and efficiently. Tribalist.

• Rachael Kelly-Taylor November 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm

“Paul the Apostle in 1 Corinthians 6:12 says, “All things are permissible but not all things are beneficial or expedient.” Or as The Message Bible succinctly renders it: “Just because something is technically legal doesn’t mean that it’s spiritually appropriate.” Nigeria is an absolutely messy country where everything and anything goes.

• T Baba aka Pres OBAMA is my cousin on my sister’s husband’s Uncle’s Aunt’s GrandMas side 4 times removed… O_o November 25, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Well, I see his point of view but MISSIONARIES do the work of the lord day in and day out by taking these types of flights that he just spoke about….

Did he ask the people that bought him the plane where the money came from??? A lot of Nigerian’s wealthy individuals money come from stolen funds… Does it make it right that he might have accepted a private plane that came from stolen funds even if he is doing the work of the lord with the plane???
    I just think that this spiritual leaders need to start speaking out and holding people in power accountable for their actions, with all the resources that we have, our country should be in a better state than it is right now. If their true concern is the people then they need to start truly speaking out against whats going on…. (Fraud, embezzlements etc etc)

Prayer without Action = A WISH…

• elchyko November 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm

CAN can own a jet, churches can own jets, but not Oritshejafor, not pastors. That pastor just concocted excuses to save face. and saying you are not ashamed only goes on to say you are shameless.
    seriously is the transport situation in Nigeria new. and must it be him travelling all over the world.
    you are a failure if you don not have those who’d take after you.

• partyrider November 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

my questions is this: who will be paying for jet fuel, pilot fees and the space at the hanger? the same people that gave him the jet? or from the sunday collection?

• kola sslami November 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Did pastor know the source of income of those that contributed to the purchase of the plane? Obviously some of them that contributes to the puchase

st have sto

I don’t expect him to be ashamed. As the head of prayer wing PDP his used to such gift

• man of God November 25, 2012 at 4:33 pm

For the gospel to get to the uttermost part of the earth, we need more private jets

• t November 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I only have one question. Does he have to go to all these places? I mean is Jesus not omniscient? If Pastor Oritshejafor is not the one preaching, wouldn’t the anointing still flow? It is well. I used to be so sure of Christianity before; but these days, it’s more confusing. Jesus take the wheel!

• His Excellency November 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Wetin concern the rest of Nigeria if Warri and Delta people buy jet for their aged pastor. Una dey mad.

• saheed Abdulrauf Bolaji November 25, 2012 at 5:07 pm

How can you ashamed? If you do in the first place would you went and buy jet when millions of members are suffering.

• lucky j. amoz November 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm

u see, u dont need to say things dat re nasty to justified ur claims. when u point one finger at a person, remember the three fingers is directly pointin urself and the big one purpolarly calld the tomp is a witness to GOD directly against you. be wise, rather than condenming, judging or criticizing, prayed, advice or hold ur peace. Judgement is without mercy to him that shows no mercy. thank u and GOD bless u all. Check ur life and prayed for those that are not doing the right thing.

• Sylvia November 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm
  • divine November 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I am a Christian that will not stop to be one despite all these luxurious lifestyle be the so call ”Servants of God.” By the way, who is that person with no capacity to work in God’s vineyard? The justification is always that some are called by God while others are to be followers, or rightly put ”spectators.” I will not reduce the criticism of the luxurious lifestyle enjoyed by few in a nation where many live in poverty to Pastors alone. The truth of the situation is that we live in a nation where people can do anything to get rich, even if it means going into canibalism to achieve that… We celebrate the so called ”Rich” without questioning the sources of their wealth… Some have stolen from us to build industries, they even went as far as blocking competitors by having absolute monopoly in key money spining products… In the gospel known as privatization, they went as far as taking charge of our natural resources by building an empire recorgnised by FORBES list of the world richest.

Yet we glory over the shameless luxurious lifestyle in the midst of poverty. Some of us even call this crime against 170 millions Nigerians and that of the generations yet unborn ”God blessings.” If this is how God blesses people, then injustice continue. However, this is not God’s model for creation of wealth.

I denounce luxury for those families who cannot afford what to eat tonight; I denounce luxury for those families who have no where to lay their heads tonight; I denounce luxury for that young man and woman, that had graduated from the university and still the future looks desolate… The life of my children is not better than that of my neighbour’s… Think Nigerians, think!!

• moses November 25, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Pls,stop all this discusion about a man of God,we are not to judge them

• yulo November 25, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Christianity has turned some Nigerians into mugus.These men of God have some of you in their palms.Why is it that when it comes to them , people are afraid to use their God given brains?Why should they not be questioned?This is how they rob all of you naked …What a shame.

• Bambino November 25, 2012 at 6:00 pm

God have mercy..two million naira to chart

• Bambino November 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm

To charter a jet,wow!…even queen of England does not have a private jet,not even Obama dat is even busier than most of all these pastors.any how sha God dey.(judgement day will be full of wonders)

• ejiro November 25, 2012 at 10:35 pm

You are dumb. Obama has one of the greatest private jets in the world called the AIR FORCE ONE! Yes, that’s his entitlement as CIC of the US Armed Forces but my point is, the need for him to be at certain places on his own time has been met. Simple.

I don’t really send all this orivate jet talk. but pls don’t come and lie here.

• yulo November 26, 2012 at 12:52 am

Why do you have to resort to name calling?Obama DOES not OWN a private jet. The jet is for use by whoever is occupying the office of the President of America.Obama is not going to take the jet with him to Chicago when his term is over.

• Dupe November 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I really don’t see why he shouldn’t own a jet to go to all these places he mentioned to preach…I am sure if you invite the Oritshejafor to preach in your church and he sends someelse you say he his too full of himself, where was he when his followers needed him. In life you can never please a soul they would always find something to say.

• Lol November 25, 2012 at 6:26 pm

But you ppl dat commented why can’t you guys fear God…wat is you business even if the jet is made of gold ehhn..you are saying hen he can feed thousands of ppl with it does that mean does people will never be hungry again. Please why can’t he own a jet even if he bought it with his money is it yours or your business this is d problem alot of people have minding their business. God used people to bless him let thank God for that for showing his greatness in his life, and if u have never had to go through waiting at d airport for at least 7 hours abeg shift that thing is more than frustrating imagine vin 2 do it all the time. Don’t judge anyone not even the member we are all going to account for the words of our mouth remember that. Am happy for him and his church less stress especially the pastor.

• BB November 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I thought he said this was a gift? How then is he justifying his need for the jet? Shouldn’t it be one of the committee members coming out to defend their collective decision to buy their pastor a jet, if indeed it was a gift? Unless it was a gift to himself in which case his defense of it would make more sense. And please nobody should tell me not to judge, because judging is a part of critical thinking. And that Scripture is sooo taken out of context. As Christians we are to judge, only we aren’t to condemn or conclude maliciously on any matter where we do not have all the facts. Please see the definitions below.
    1. To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration: judge heights; judging character.
    a. Law To hear and decide on in a court of law; try: judge a case.
    b. Obsolete To pass sentence on; condemn.
    c. To act as one appointed to decide the winners of: judge an essay contest.
    3. To determine or declare after consideration or deliberation.
    4. Informal To have as an opinion or assumption; suppose: I judge you’re right.
    5. Bible To govern; rule. Used of an ancient Israelite leader.
    v.intr.
    1. To form an opinion or evaluation.
    2. To act or decide as a judge.

• Ngozi November 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm

The problem with Nigeria. So called Men of God have you guys where the want you guys. I will admit not knowing a lot about the protestant denomination but if there is one thing i am sure of, it is that JESUS LIVED A LIFE OF POVERTY. I am yet to read a bible passage that denotes Jesus enjoying any sort of luxurious lifestlye. This is the same thing that the Jesuits preach to their priests and nuns, drop everything of this world and live a life of poverty. Yes the demands of being in a profession where you have to travel a lot may be stressful, but for heaven’s sake a Jet? In your name? Common! Humble yourselves politicians and pastors of Nigeria!! God is watching you all! The PM of the UK did not die after boarding EasyJet because he understands that he is a servant of the people!! Pastors! live a lifestyle that will not bring disrepute to your profession, to be sincere this sudden trend of pastors and private jets to be honest is reducing my faith in religious leaders in Nigeria!

• ejiro November 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Jesus did not live a life of poverty. WOW. What bible did you read? The one in Chinese? You can prove your point but there’s no need to lie and make skewed points. A lot of you need to read and comprehend. It’ll take you a LONGGGGG way!

• Myladymo November 25, 2012 at 10:10 pm

If this man was really a man of God he would have asked the paople to sell the plane and use the money to help the families who dont have food or a home to live in..Africans are so SELFISH and SHAMELESS thats why the rich keep getting richer while the poor get poorer.Mother teresa did the work of God and you would never see her accepting gifts like this because she truly cared about the people and helping them..Nigerians need to wake up and stop acting like sheep giving to these FAKE and MATERIALISTIC men who are using the Word of God to make money for themselves while motherless children need help and support.God will judge them

• nomad November 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Lol so no he’s saving money from the cost of $40 million dollar Bombardier.. OK. pastor aside, this is just super poor economics
    So I’ve met people who fly for a private jet company and I tell you that it costs around $3,000 an hour for a 10 seater jet or thereabouts. Some jet companies, you pay them around $100,000 and you get credit for hours. Let’s say he pays a jet company $300,000 a year to be on standby for him, that would get you 1,000 hours (low estimate). So if he’s in the air 41 days a year, $300,000 starts to sound almost reasonable.

So for your own brand new jet (somebody praise alleluya). Let’s start estimating. Pilot and copilot salary (oyibo will be preferred of course) MINIMUM $300,000k annually, plus housing plus naira allowance plus leave allowance (if that Oyibo is living in kidnap central Warri, start factoring in insurance). Hangar fees – dunno but some estimates in US is around $5,000 monthly, I’m sure it can be higher here. Other fees when jamboreeing in the sky, parking fees, fuel, tax. Of course, unless Madam packs you your eba when going to Indonesia, you’d better stock the plane (and maybe find a nice cute girl to serve you, cheaper than pilot but you gotta pay). I haven’t even factored in maintenance costs, mandatory checks that your plane needs to pass to be certified to fly which can only be done abroad. So you’re easily spending over $1,000,000 annually for the same 1,000 flight hours.

Plane offerings oh! You can sandwich it between Building Fund and Family Harvest.

• kingsley November 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

EFCC should investigate the group of member who contributed the fund to buy this jet. find out there source of income, if they are public servant or govt contractor or even oil magnate who got rich thru fuel subsidy.

• HABBA November 26, 2012 at 1:25 am

pastor pastor, how many times did i call u? please you should not be owning a private jet in a country that can not feed its people

• God is love. November 26, 2012 at 2:04 am

I am just so happy I am catholic. Not perfect but the church understands God’s essence, with all that wealth, the catholic church is the most socially active church in the whole world (giving back and helping) and YET the pope still flies in Alitalia as a NECESSITY!

• annie November 26, 2012 at 2:14 am

lol the way some of you go like ‘i shall not judge a man of God’ and you’r bare dissecting the issue like no man’s business. funny

• I go say mine November 26, 2012 at 2:50 am

@Ejiro…haba,which kind village u dey live,i bet u are one of those that hear stories and just put it down,ITK,..if u really know how the system works in the US,i bet u wont have called someone ‘dumb’.u should have just put down ur own opinion and acted in a matured way…it takes a dumb to know a dumb anyway.pls bellanaija stop accepting comments from people like these before they spoil am for u.Anyways Only God knows who is really working for him.how many pastors preach about salvation today?..itz all about working miracles and acquiring wealth.just know how to play your games right,u will get what u want and cos of that a lot of Nigerians are gullible today.

• Oma November 26, 2012 at 3:29 am

Pastor ! God will judge U oh !! God will judge you !! God will judge U both here on earth and in heaven. U are a wicked man !! The road to port-harcourt is blocked instead of you to use your position to call on those responsible to fix the roads, instead they use the money that was supposed to fix the roads to buy ONLY YOU a private jet ! and U collected. Holy Ghost Fire will burn you ! selah

• grace November 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

Pastor ayo is in a league of his own. Your hating and judgemental comments are tottally unnecessary. Do u know that,that your phone, car or dress is also a luxury to someone else?. So maybe u start by giving themm to the pooor. I won’t be suprised those talkn abt donation to the poor haven’t made such donations before. Those people who made such donation of a gift must have done it in appreciation to the Man of God. I don’t think he forced anyone. So Judge yourselves first. There are a number of ministers that own private Jets in the U.S and around the world. It doesn’t mean the money was stolen to acquire it.

• wiklo November 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

“Everyone has a right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege.”

• wiklo November 26, 2012 at 7:10 am

“When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he will always declare that it is his duty.”

• wiklo November 26, 2012 at 7:13 am

“It is a stupid chicken that listens to the fox preach”

• wiklo November 26, 2012 at 7:15 am

“Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitude.”

• ADDY November 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

3.5million to charter plane, another 2 million to chsrter hellicopter, so thats 5.5 million naira spent on transportation for one person. Then eventually the committee of needs donates a private jet abi plane for the so called pastor. lmaooooooo wow!!! just wow! i am in awe of this all… God is watching this man of God, he will surely answer to him in heaven. Men of God misleading and sqaundering the money of his people all in the name of having an easier transportation system, and who told this pastor that doing the work of God ever gets easy, if you are getting old and you feel ur body isnt getting younger then retire; or better still ask those ppl who desperately need your prayer to come to you. Stop wasting money with such lies of suffering, as old as you are you should know what suffering trully is. Clearly this pastor needs to refresh his mind on how Our Lord and Savior suffered for us and still laid his life for us on the cross.

• Sexy and Posh November 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

I pray for the religious ignorance of my people. If God did not want us to judge, I wonder why the field of law was created from time immemorial. When the children of Eli misbehaved, was Eli not criticised by his own people? The extravagant life style of our so called pastors and criminal bishops are without doubt disturbing. Whilst only 10% of the population can afford 3 square meals a day, the people who they look up to are busy amassing wealth and living a disgraceful life driven by wealth and prosperity. You would be advised that the world is coming to an end on sunday- yet by monday, they shall write a cheque in millions to buy shares from Guinness and NBL yet the world is coming to an end. The same religion that was used by the hypocrites (Britain) to steal our wealth is what our own brothers have tapped into to swindle the vulnerable with the expectations of hope that may never come to them.

It is so sad that the society and our country has not even legislated any law to guide against this form of fraud. The Tax evasion of these churches are enough to guarantee good medical system in our country. People die every day due to poor medical care and unqualified medical doctors. I am weeping for my country the same way Isaiah did in the bible. Average church goer only reads the bible on sundays and hence falls prey of the well constructed form of fraud which they(pastors) have decided to use against their congregation.

I pray that a day shall come when like in the UK, some of these self acclaimed men of God shall be tried within an independent legal system and perhaps imprisoned for these criminal appropriation of properties.

Thank you.

• philipe de pip November 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

Poor economic judgement. There was no need to spend two mill.just to attend a dedication ceremony. Sending a delegate with 1mill cheque could have solved that. The flooing affeceted everyone including those who were going to hear the message to be preached,perhaps they all should have goten a jet each… And in this World Jesus admonished temperance but promised a better life that no One can yet imagine or comprehend in heaven..:

• pynk November 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

Unparralled fu**ery! no other words to describe the mess.

• rabiu November 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm

the mane of God didnt ask for jet and is not aware of it, but his wife is in the committee that initiated, organised and generated the gift. Naija for you.

because of excessive mingling with the politicians nigerian men of God lie. God save nigeria

• wow November 26, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I wonder how Jehovah’s witnesses do it earthwide free of charge,i think he should ask them,i’m sure he would learn a thing or two from them as well.

• Cute November 27, 2012 at 12:15 am

@Ejiro…u sound like u are related to the pastor for u to be this defensive and having the audacity to call people dumb and liars….God go save u o.If the church could buy a jet for a pastor ,that means everybody in that church must be very rich abi.i just feel that’s the trend in naija churches .now.no wahala.God go save naija

• ST December 1, 2012 at 12:11 am

AM SURE WEN BICYCLE WAS D IN THIN,WEN A MAN OF GOD BOUGHT A CAR,THE SAID IT WAS A LUXURY…TODAY,EVERYONE THINKS DIFFERENTLY BECAUSE,OFFCOURSE,CARS ARE NOW LIKE NORMAL STUFF FOR EVERYBODY! THERE IS NO WHERE IN THE ENTIRE BIBLE WHERE WE ARE TOLD NOT ENJOY THE GOOD THINGS OF LIFE JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT AS PRIVILEDGED TO GET THOSE SAME THINGS…U CANT DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF BLACKBERRY JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE SOMEWHERE CANYT AFFORD IT OR IS CONSERVATIVE WITH HIS MONEY AND PREFERS TO USE A “CHINA FONE”.
    A MAN WHO HAS BEEN PREACHING AND TRAVELLING THE WORLD FOR 40YRS,FINALLY GETS A JET AND ITS AN ISSUE? TRUTH IS,THERE WILL ALWAYS BE “GOSSIP&HATEMONGERS”…MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT YOU DO THEY WILL GOSSIP AND HATE YOU ANYWAY..IT HAPPENED TO JESUS,A WOMAN CARRIES THE MOST EXPENSIVE ALABASTER BOX,BROKE IT POURED THE OIL ON HER HAIR AND USES TO WIPE HIS FEET…AND THE GOSSIP&HATEMONGERS GO HAYWIRE…”OH ITS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THIS PURPOSE,YOU SHOULD HAVE SOLD IT AND GIVEN THE PROCEEDS TO THE POOR”…SAME ARGUMENT THAT IS REVERBERATED ON THIS TOPIC HERE..BUT JESUS SAID TO THE GOSSIP&HATEMONGERS,THE POOR YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE WITH YOU BUT ME YOU WONT..LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE FOR SHE HAS DONE THIS TO HONOUR ME.SAME THING I TELL THE GOSSIP&HATEMONGERS HERE,LEAVE THIS PASTOR AYO ALONE,THE JET WAS ACQUIRED TO MAKE HIS WORK FOR GOD MORE EFFECTIVE PARTICULARLY AT THE LEVEL OF KINGDOM INFLUENCE HE EXUDES AROUND THE WORLD,IF ANYTHING,HE OWES GOD TO BE ACCOUNTABLE ON THIS SUBJECT MATTER ON HOW HE USED IT,AND MOST CERTAINLY NOT TO ANY OF YOU! #PONDERONTHIS!

• Jesse February 7, 2013 at 12:45 am

How many poor and homeless people could have been taken care off ? Which is more important ? Souls or travel extravagance ? Why is there nobody to be preached to in Warri ? Or even next door ? Why trail the entire world and in search of one soul ?
      Matthew 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

• Fada March 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Do not be deceived because God is never mocked. Cultists and Satanic Pastors have their characteristics. They can’t imitate Christ. they are enemies of the cross of Christ. money, power, fame, wealth, etc., are their ambitions.

• Gloria Ebrakeme September 19, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Tell them,good talk!

• Thompson September 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

Is not shameful as pastor to own a plane but greedginess

• Joseph September 21, 2014 at 8:33 am

Wow what a story.. When l see some people comment then i will just lol… The man of God only God can judge and not me but for that jet i think it is not right and people who are saying it is a gift are just fools it is only in Nigeria that the church committee buys jet for the Pastors and am sure is not preaching the gospel more than Pastor Donnie McClurkin, Rev. Donald Wildmon and others and i no for sure they don’t have Private Jet…. That is why there is so much poverty if the tax checking is in it proper place i can bet you this Jet will not be bought because i know Pastor Matthew could not buy a jet in the UK. Pastor just be humble as a man of God and don’t give excuses of waiting for long getting to board a flight every body that as travel experience this kind of situation..

• nigerian September 22, 2014 at 5:17 am

Hey al. Stop fooling ur selves. That person inside villa gave him the jet and it was bought with our money.
    And the jet now is used for their agendas of sponsoring boko haram and niger-delta terrorists.
    God wil surely punish al of them.
    Fools…..
    Go to hell stupid pastor and shameful president of nigeria.
    BAD LUCK ON U TIL THE END OF UR LIFE…

• Joseph September 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

My problem is not with whether the church willingly bought him a jet or not. Afterall our so called pastors are more manipulative than the Animal Farm Propagandist Squealer. My problem with this man is that he is too extravagant to be truly spiritual. Secondly, his romance with politics and politicians is a serious source of concern. CAN under him has lost every sense of respect, Christianity and credence. CAN that has been rebuking the govt. for and on behalf of Nigerians, now rebuke Nigerians for the govt. not minding the level of corruption in our system and you tell me they are men of God. Very soon, every church would man itself to avoid this international disgrace you people bring to the church. How can a man of God have time to wear all the tones of gold you wear? Lets tell ourselves the truth, many of our Christian leaders are a total disgrace to Christ. But no one can disgrace Christ. You can only disgrace yourself.