BN Beauty Nest With Ameera: Lets Talk Detox!

It’s been a wonderful holiday season for me! I broke all my strict dietary rules and “pigged” out on Christmas eve, Christmas day, Boxing day right through till January 2nd! I knew it was wrong but I told myself “Ameera, you only live once…you’ve been good all year, treat yourself a little”! Let’s just say my treating has left me feeling sluggish, slightly chunkier and not as energetic as I usually am. This is not how I planned to start my 2013!

So I decided to kick start my journey to weight loss with a complete body detox plan, it’s my third day and I feel well on my way to my old self, if not better….my skin is thanking me for it too! Here’s the 411 on starting your detox plan.

What is Detoxification? Simply put: it’s the process of removing toxic substances from the blood stream. Your detox plan is designed to aid your body’s natural cleansing process. The kidney and liver naturally excrete and detoxify many toxic wastes in the body, the purpose of a detox is to boost the function of the two organs and also other excretory organs, namely – your lungs, intestines, lymph and skin.

Anyone and everyone can benefit from a detox plan. However, I would not advise nursing mothers, children or individuals with degenerative diseases, cancer or tuberculosis to start a detox plan. The key detox indicators are fatigue, irritated skin, allergies or even mental confusion.

What do you gain from detoxification? First and foremost your detox plan will help you maintain optimum health, protect you from diseases and leave you with beautiful glowing skin.

There are five major steps and major benefits of your detox plan:

• FASTING – by fasting you rest your organs.
  • STIMULATION – the liver is stimulated to drive toxins from the body.
  • ELIMINATION – promotes the intestines, kidney and skin to eliminate toxins from the body.
  • CIRCULATION – improves your blood circulation.
  • NUTRITION – your body takes in healthy nutrients.

How do you go about starting a plan that seems so complicated? As little as 7 days is all you need to a new and improved you. Simply incorporate these basic steps into your daily routine.
Step 1 – Go Organic! Minimize your use and intake of chemically processed foods and products.

Step 2 – Start a healthy/balanced diet. Take recommended amounts of Vitamin C, drink water, green tea, fresh juices and eat fruits and vegetables. Super foods such as Cranberry, Pomegranate, Cabbage and Broccoli are packed full of antioxidants and tasty too!
Please note for this to be effective you must cut out alcohol, caffeine, cigarettes, processed foods – saturated fats and refined sugars.

Step 3 – Exercise. Yoga is a fantastic way to detox the body and mind. You can also take up running for at least 20-30 minutes daily. Remember start at a pace that suits you.

Step 4 – Steam-Sauna sessions are a relaxing way to stimulate the body and eliminate wastes through perspiration.

Step 5 – Change your way of thinking! Cleanse your mind of negativity…positive thoughts = positive emotions!

“Juicing” has become a huge part of the detox culture, many detox plans recommend a strict fast in which you drink only juice daily and eat no solids. I find this rather drastic and such an extreme change can be harmful to your health. In order not to plunge myself into the deep end, I have included the following juices into my daily diet rather than starting a strict fast. They are easy to make and taste delicious too!
FRUIT DETOX

You should try any of the following:
Pure Cranberry juice. It is packed full of antioxidants and is oh so refreshing!

The Detox Lemonade (this is known as the master cleanser made famous by Beyonce)

Recipe:
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tablespoons of maple syrup
1/10 cayenne pepper

Mix the above ingredients in 220ml of water. Drink with every meal.

The Carrot Cleanser

Recipe:
4 Carrots
1 Apple
A handful of spinach
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 Celery stalk

Remember that a healthy weight loss involves a gradual process, a quick-fix diet can leave you worse off than you started as it could result in a slower metabolism making it easier for you to gain more weight. This is because your initial weight loss is water weight and not fat.

I’ve come across quite a few horror stories while writing this article and would love to hear from you with your experiences from the strict “juicing” detox plans if you’ve tried any.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ameera Abraham is the Creative Director at The Nail Bar, a luxury nail spa and wellness centre located in Abuja. She’s a qualified aesthetician and is passionate about all things beauty!

27 Comments on BN Beauty Nest With Ameera: Lets Talk Detox!
  • x factor January 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Excellent…..thanks

• mimi said January 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

heres my take on this..detox is very important to kick start a healthy lifestyle..but the type pf detox sure matters..a gd few years ago i did da beyonce detox i was a size 12 and needed 2 fit into a size 10 dress for a friends wedding,,i did the detox for 3 days and on d 3rd day i was a perfect size 10, but problem is after dat detox u go straight back 2 da hell hole of unhealthy lifestyle where u started..and even on da news and interview by beyonce herself she warned dat she wnt be going back 2 dat drastic detox again as its not health and good at all ( but u said ur not into drastic ways of detoxing from ur post ? correct me if am wrong ) but my point is with something as simple as regular intake of water 8-10 glasses a day or add 1 lemon to warm water or even adding lemon and apple cider vinegar 2 warm water dat works like magic both clearing ur skin and detoxing ur body as a whole ( just took a sip now :-) ) and taking grape fruit with every meal 3times a day with dat alone ur well on ur way 2 a healthy detox and eating lifestyle without anything drastic ..plz i dnt mean dis a rude way just felt like sharing my personal opinion

• Ginika January 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm

True concerning the lemons and apple cider vinegar (which stinks like hell).

• Ameera January 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

I totally agree with you mimi. This is exactly what I’m trying to promote in the article. A detox doesn’t have to be a strict juice or fruit fast. It’s introducing the above mentioned into your daily routine and diet at a pace that’s comfortable for you. Thanks for sharing your tips also.

• AWEsome January 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

thanks

• nems January 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Great idea… thanks

• OMOWUMI January 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I will try it. thanks

• Miss E January 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Thanks….great write-up. I too ate shamelessly this Xmas period(my bday +dads bday+the holidays). Now I can’t fit into my work clothes….shame. Anyway I was on an all fruits detox for three days last wk and it felt good as it kickstarted my body and now am back to my workout schedule. Detox clears the skin. Plus it empties one’s bowels. :) the weight won’t drop off like magic but I sure am on the right track. Hehe. Get detoxing people!!!!

• Ginika January 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I started eating two sticks of carrot and 2 apples a day, with an orange here and there; my digestive system has been doing wonders. Not to over share and all but my bowels are moving. Great tips, I’ll incoporate even more of this. Exercising in the morning also increases your energy levels, along with breathing fresh air and breathing exercises (I believe some of us really dont ‘breathe’).

• Terry Bills January 15, 2013 at 2:43 pm

people talking funny!! Back in the days of my granny.. They ate all natural food in Nigeria. None was fat!! Stop junk foos. Eliminate all importation. and say NO to Chinese products… I will not be surprise they want to kill everyone in Africa so they could take over our resources… Peeps dying young,, My granny and other grabby’s quite old and in late 100’s still alive.. Ask you why???

• MyHairBeautyNIGERIA.com January 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm

This is fantastic especially this time of the year when we need to jump start our diets, green tea is great!

• na me January 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

great stuff! thanks for sharing – I’ll concur with everything but saturated fat . Saturated fat is actually pretty good for you – Hello Coconut oil , Palm oil , Ghee , Lard etc
    Low fat , high sugar (refined carbs) diets are major culprits in obesity.

• Purpleicious Babe January 15, 2013 at 5:26 pm

the post should have come in as early as the 3rd… wow for some of us we have gone into serious fooding.. detoxing the last yr is abit of a job. lol.

Great tips, am nodding. x

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/

• Oge January 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Please does anybody know where I can get maple syrup from and pepper cayenne in Lagos… + he much

• tsema January 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm

pepper cayenne z wat yorubaz call sonbo or bawa n u cn get maple syrup @ any supermarket

• Kemi January 15, 2013 at 6:40 pm

loving this so much…great article

• tsema January 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Pepperr cayenne is d same as sombo in yoruba or bawa; you can get dt in d markets and maple syrup cn b found in supermarkets lyk shoprite or addide

• femmelounge January 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm

thanks for sharing this. really like the part about the different juice.

• gorgeous January 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I’m on a fruit only diet and I feel great already. Im doing this for 30 days. 25 days to go!!! Wish me luck.. :)

• faith January 16, 2013 at 2:41 am

I take 200 naira worth of fruits every day.#50 cucumber, #50 carrot, #50 water melon and #50 bananas/penneapple

• christinereedla January 16, 2013 at 6:36 am

Yes great article!!!!! Giving your body a break from eating is so good. I try to do mondays it really keeps you motivated I like kale, spinach, and celery juice as kale is the only veggie with protein.

• Ugo January 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Stop buying pre sliced fruits pls. Those folks don’t use tissue when they go to the loo/bush so its the same messed up hands handling the fruits. Plus their knives are also used to shave their kindreds heads in the evenings!!! My two pence.

• Sandy Halliday January 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I am never sure why people still regard unhealthy food as a treat especially when it leaves you feeling sluggish and chunkier. Once your feed your cells with all the nutrients they need and you are eating for your metabolic type you should not crave any junk or want to pig out.

You are right that you don’t have to starve to detox. I recovered from chronic fatigue with an intensive juicing plan that included special foods that did not leave me hungry.

• Asta January 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Lovely article ma darling

• Pamilerin January 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Mimi said

I took apple cider vinegar,mixed with water and i moved my bowels for the better part of the day,is that a sign of detox?

• temilola February 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

pls i need answers. when i mix the lomen, maple and cayenne pepper in water, do i srink it with a spoon or a full cup after meal?

• CANNURSE March 13, 2013 at 11:52 am

NICE ARTICLE, BUT DO WE HAVE THINGS LIKE CELERY IN NIGERIA?NOT NICE TO GO THE WESTERN WAY BECOS WE HAVE GOOD WEATHER TO GROW BETTER THINGS THAN CELERY.WESTERN COUNTRIES DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING,PLS YOU PPLE SHOULD NOT IMBIBE OYINBO CULTUURE BY FALSE, TELL THEM THE NAIJA WAY, OKROA SOUP THAT EVERYONE ONE CAN AFFORD.POOR PPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT CELERY IS.