Dear President Jonathan…

Dear President Jonathan,
On January 21st 2013, I sat in front of my television here in the United States as Barack Obama was inaugurated for a second term as President of the United States of America. Why am I in America you ask? Because it’s better than Nigeria. Thousands of people flocked to Washington DC to see Obama get sworn in for his second term. In the freezing cold they cheered, shouted and watched. Wow! I said to myself. They are not just cheering for a president. They are cheering for the man behind the presidency. The man who made promises and kept them. What if? What if you President Goodluck got re-elected for a second-term?

In 2011, I was in Nigeria during the elections. That was my first time in Nigeria since I had left the country over 12 years ago. I came to serve my country through NYSC. A country that I had very high hopes for and still do. Every day I went through one difficulty after another which made me question why I even came back in the first place. My parents did not even support me coming back, but I came back. Because I knew that there was a man who was soon going to enter office officially as our elected president.

A different man. A man of promise. That’s what you were supposed to be. Day after day I would stumble upon government convoys being escorted by police men who used their rifles to push people out of the way.

Governor X cometh! You ordinary young and dehydrated corn seller, move out of the way! The men you elected into office are coming through. Give way!

You formally took an oath and pledged to ‘combat’ corruption. There is new cutlery in Aso Villa. You pledged to make education free and available to all young people.  Anu just walked 15 miles to her local farmers market to get the plantains that her mother is going to force her to sell today to provide for her and her two younger brothers.
You came into power having to deal with an already corrupt and flawed system. No one expected you to be God and fix things when you came into office, but what is your most significant action since coming into office? Is it the extra hour of electricity the people now get, or is it the name change of UNILAG to MAULAG?

There are signs of change in the country but not enough for you to be elected for a second term.  Between “1960 and 1999, officials are said to have stolen more than $440bn from the people.” Will you increase this number or will this number remain the same till the end of time?

Could people ever stand in the freezing cold or the scorching heat to see you sworn into office a second time? Probably not! I’m not Isawuru and cannot see into a calabash to tell you President Jonathan, but based on your actions, I’d still say, probably not!

For now, a second term does not belong to you. The hearts of Nigerians have been infected with distrust. We don’t trust any politician as far as we can throw them. They don’t have our best interest at hearts. ‘I’m PDP,’ they say. ‘I’m ACN,’ they say. ‘I’m not a thief,’ they never say. “I’ll do what’s right for you,” they never say.

Politics is not about the party or the tribe. It’s about we the people. The recognition of this is the only thing that will make you our first different president. Are you ready to be different?

I pray for you, President Goodluck Jonathan. I pray for you because a prayer for you is a prayer for my country. I can’t compare you to Obama because you are not him. I can’t compare the United States to Nigeria because they are two different places.  We all want to come home, but what can we say we are coming home to?  I mean we have the rich culture and the real-pounded yam but what else is there really?

You have a little bit of time left in office. Show us why the people placed you in office the first time around. Show us why many stood under the scorching sun in April 2011 to put a check mark beside your name.

I pray for you President Goodluck Jonathan.  I want to be able to look up to you; to cheer you on and tell people, “that’s my president!” but for now, we wait.

God Bless Nigeria!

Photo credit: christinekane.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Toyin Olaleye is a writer pursuing a Masters degree at the Johns Hopkins University, USA. She’s the unpublished author of “Oh! So You Are From Africa, How Come You Speak English”  and is extremely passionate about Nigeria.

82 Comments on Dear President Jonathan…
  • jay January 30, 2013 at 9:11 am

rightly said!

• david January 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

…..a word is enuff for the wise.

• babious January 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

Jst remarkable! i hope he reads it.

• Forever Blessed January 30, 2013 at 9:26 am

People say things to get into powerful positions and whilst there, “oh do they forget”. Citizens are bleeding…. Stop extorting money and build a better country. Good will see you through.
    See add Boko Haram have announced a cease fire…. It’s all God’s doing…peace will prevail. Do stop stealing and empovering the nation.

• Tola January 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

SMH….hmmmmmm

• baamidels January 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

Really nice article….

• The Watch Collector January 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

True!

• Patie January 30, 2013 at 9:36 am

hmmm, I hope our Dear and Amiable President and all the past head of state trying to come back, we need Trust-worthy, Loyal, Positive Government to rule this our Great Nation. God Bless Nigeria

• Jane Meadows January 30, 2013 at 9:36 am

Well done Toyin. I believe in giving people the chance to showcase their abilities, that was exactly what I did for President Jonathan. He may well be a nice and ambitious man but I honestly think that he lacks confidence to rule our big and tough nation Nigeria. I am hopeful for a better president someday. I am hopeful.

• Motun January 30, 2013 at 9:42 am

Wow! Hope this gets to him…

• kings January 30, 2013 at 9:42 am

when you lead well people talked about it,but when things go wrong the same people eleminate and pisition you.ur name is badluck not goodluck.bad road,bad light,bad water.good aso villa and good cars

• Som-t January 30, 2013 at 9:46 am

you just nailed it….my dear.

• Edo man January 30, 2013 at 9:50 am

My dear friend u will really wait forever, in our life time we will not see that president in Nigeria, unless there is a revolution.

• Fusion OAU January 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Dear Edo man; i’m sorry to say this but you are very wrong….. there would be no revolution anywhere and there would be change, radicalism is not the only solution to problems like this neither are prayers…. the solution is getting the right manforthe job

• her January 30, 2013 at 9:53 am

this breaks my heart…

• adetola adeyinka January 30, 2013 at 9:58 am

“Politics is not about the party or the tribe. It’s about we the people”….. True. I wish the politicians can understand that.

• Bee Dazzler January 30, 2013 at 10:14 am
  • OLAH January 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

Dear Toyin, Nigeria at every point in history got the leader she deserved. While you were in Nigeria did you take out time to look at the average Nigerian? I mean really study the average Nigerian? I think our leaders reflect the kind of people we are as a nation. Reformation should start with every individual first. You have a wife but you cheat on her and you are shouting our leaders are corrupt, you do not study for your exams so you bribe your way out and you are shouting our leaders are corrupt, you do not obey the traffic rules but hey its okay because our leaders are corrupt, you sing about justice and equality yet your ambition is self-centered its all about your cars,your house, your drugs and your girls and when you do charity its because you want to put it up on blogs and in magazines but oh well its okay because our leaders are corrupt. Your neighbor/driver/cleaner/co-workers/gate-man/cook/maid is dying but you can not even put your blackberry down long enough to notice but oh well! what do i know, our leaders are corrupt. Until we adjust our lives, until we are able to delay gratification, until we become ”people-conscious” as individuals first we will never attain greatness. It has very little to do with president Jonathan and a lot to do with You and I. So pray for yourself and for the people around you, that God will give us a heart of flesh and cause a change in us and also the grace to live a disciplined life.

• Chinwe January 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

I do agree with you Olah, but sadly enough, not many people recognize this. We just sit, fold our hands and expect the government of the day to do every damned thing for us. We are Nigerians and together (government and the governed) must build the Nigeria of our dreams. It is a herculean task, but it is not an impossible one. As one former America president once said, we should ask ourselves not what our country can do for us, but what we can do for our country. America is where she is today because her people have the culture of love for country ingrained in them. This culture is passed from generation to generation, and nothing can change that. We need a reorientation, a change of heart and a NEW NIGERIAN culture devoid of ethnic and political sentiments. God Bless Nigeria.

• Tempo January 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

Bless you. The average Nigerian is impatient and selfish. Sad thing is that it has become a culture embedded into our subconscious.

• Annie January 30, 2013 at 10:59 am

THIS!
      If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a billion times… *sigh*

• Mz Socially Awkward… January 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I don’t entirely agree. Yes, we really do need to start obeying laws ourselves as individual Nigerians before we pick up the old cry of how elected government officials have no respect for the rule of law… but I don’t agree that Nigerians are not people concious in their own individual ways. How else would you explain how people without jobs or means or survival are able to keep surviving from day to day in a country no social welfare system? We are each other’s social welfare system in that country and unless things have changed in this generation, the Nigeria I grew up in was very people-concious. I saw my parents and those in their generation supporting people who had needs, I was thought the importance of appreciating what I had because a lot of people didn’t have as much and I’ve taken those lessons with me through life.

I’ve examined the same attitude in the UK and concluded there isn’t any people-conciousness here at the individual level. If you want to call people selfish, this is a great environment to do it in. However, what they do have that Nigeria lacks is a government which is people-consious and therefore the average British man goes to bed knowing he doesn’t have to check on his neighbour with special needs who can’t work because his tax money has been allocated by a government who’ll make financial provisions available to people in that category. The same for his old mother – her pension will be paid and the local council will give her the accommodation she needs.

Our country hasn’t gotten the leaders we deserve. We have very, truly, unbelievably selfish leaders and there must be something about being in power that even when leaders with self-acclaimed poverty stricken backgrounds (like President I-had-no-shoes Jonathan) reach positions with access to wealth that is capable of changing a country, they suddenly forget all the suffering they endured when they were average Nigerians. The selfishness began from the head sometime in the 1960s/70s and, sadly, has eaten away right down to every level of today’s Nigeria.

• Toyin Olaleye January 30, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Sorry, I’m at work…so I had to make this brief :)
      I just want to say that people are a function of their environment. While, I don’t commend the extremely bad habits of we Nigerians have, many of it is a function of the people’s struggles because of inadequate government policies/corruption. People create extra lanes on roads because most of the roads are small are unilateral and they don’t want to be in a hold-up for 6hrs. They cut-in lines at banks because no one says anything and there are no consequences. They help people just to be seen because Nigeria has become a ‘how does it benefit me’ country where no one looks out for one another unless they will be able to benefit from it one day, forgetting that Christ enjoins us to love one another as he loves us.

We all should change our ways, yes. But government needs to make the changes we put them in government to make. They need to

Make laws that make the people change their habits…

Change minimum wage permanently (full grown men and women should not be living on 30 40k a month salary; why wouldn’t they want to steal on the side)

Make it illegal for children not to be in school during school hrs. Turn every abandoned building into a local school. There are so many 20-50 bedroom mansions sitting in Abuja because they cant find a buyer to pay 120 billion for it or whatever it costs..

Stop allowing people to build hotels and malls…let there be libraries, hospitals, decent schools…. its 2013! (Education is what builds a country; not the amount of fanciful buildings that can be in one place)

Many of the traffic rules that are being implemented work because they involve direct money being collected..if u park ur car at the wrong place they boot it until u pay the fine…and people pay..but where is the money going…they should be going to proper centers, health care…etc

This country has a long way to go but if the government does the right thing..people will be forced to change their ways…
      @olaleye1

• Ides of March January 30, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Where is the LIKE button?!

• OLAH January 30, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Yes the role of the government can not be over emphasize but its not a 50:50 thing, its a 20:80 thing the bulk of the job is on us. The law is there as a backup, its for criminals. When a country’s citizens do what is right solely because they are scared of the punishment imposed by the government give such countries time the citizens will revolt and a war will break out. But in a country where citizens do what is right not just because they are scared of the consequences but because they understand that doing the right thing is the proper way to go that country will have relative peace. That is what personal/individual transformation is all about.
        Someone mentioned the UK, give them 10-15 years, the riots will be child’s play compare to what will happen in the nearest future. Look at their younger generation, dependency on government has ruined them. China is fast becoming the economic superpower of the world yet they have the highest suicide rates, the quality of life of their average citizen is poor(note I didn’t say standard of living)
        My dear but Obama in asorock and it wouldn’t make a difference,its not just the leadership that makes a great nation,he needs a team. The team is made up of individual citizens.

• OLAH January 30, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Someone mentioned the UK, give them 10-15 years, the riots will be child’s play compare to what will happen in the nearest future. Look at their younger generation, dependency on government has ruined them. China is fast becoming the economic superpower of the world yet they have one of the highest suicide rates, the quality of life of their average citizen is poor(note I didn’t say standard of living)

• Nols’smama January 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I need a like button for you Olah!!!!!! I say this same thing over and over again.. Nigeria is not ready for the change we all dream and crave for.. People are so comfortable with the fact that they can get away with corruption.. and others do not want the situation to change.. so when its their turn they can steal money too etc.. Cheating in schools.. poor homes .. with lots of physical mental and pyschological abuse… the so called house of God… reaping ppl of… Nigerian has a longgggggggggggggggggggg way to go.. and it is not all about the leaders alone.. there has to be a major shift in our thinking and the way we see the ourselves for a better Nigeria to show up… Till then.. we can only dream.

I can home to Nigeria after 8years of being away and I could not believe the level of wickedness and hatred the average Nigerian had for the next person.. God help us.

• shola Adejuwon February 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

Dear Toyin, I totally agree with OLAH, i think all he said is right. everyone is complaining about how corrupt our leaders are, but the truth is if our country must be changed it should begin with you and I. we can honestly add value to our nation by the honesty shown at our place of work,i think anywhere we find ourselves.

• OLAH February 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Lollll, thanks Shola I am a lady though.

• Dimeji February 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Two things are needed to effect change in a society. They are : Reward and Sanction.
      Human beings by nature adjust their behaviours to fit in with leadership and the environment. Hence, leadership of a state greatly determines the attitude and disposition of the citizens.
      When people know the Reward for merit and good conduct, they will be inspired not to cut corners. For example, a graduate with a good degree who doesnt need to know anyone to secure a job will inspire those in school to abhor sorting. Isnt it ironic that those who sort their ways even get jobs before the “efikos”?
      A civil servant who gets paid handsomely and lives a comparatively good life after service- his pension and gratuity not looted and promptly paid- will inspire those behind to put in their best as they know they will be adequately rewarded.
      Conversely, students who know their is room for sorting will hardly study. I remember in my school days, a guy in my class who seldomly comes to school had to attend this particular lecturers class, simply because, if you do not meet 70% attendance, you can NEVER pass the course. A 4unit course for that matter! The moment everyone knew that the sanction for not coming to class (coupled with the fact that you dare not think of “sorting” this professor) was an extra year or lower grade, you need not be told to do the right thing.
      Civil servants who know that it is inevitable to cool off in kirikiri for looting public funds will do the right thing.
      The REWARD has to be very attractive (to inspire others), likewise, the Sanction has to be very HUGE (to serve as deterrent).
      We can effect this change? Pls, let our generation be the TURNING POINT! #sad face#

• smiley January 30, 2013 at 10:30 am

i love this article……..

• Bee Dazzler January 30, 2013 at 10:30 am

I really had to re-read this article again. And again i say Lovely but Toyin, to a make a better place is a collection of efforts, you, me and them. Nigeria has always been like that btu we can change if we come together, with one mind and make that change….

Toyin, you have written a good article and i beg you + bella naija if there is anything you have in mind to do inother to make Nigeria a better place do not hestitate to invole me, cos i am willing to make that change from our little corner, my little corner. your Nigeria, my Nigeria, Our Nigeria.

beedazzler.blogspot.com

• Tesonma January 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

Olah if u gave problems at home go solve them. Well said Toyin!

• anonymous January 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Absolutely correct,It is well with Nigeria,God is on the throne so i believe there is hope and its not far-fetched.

• Annie January 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

“…Then it dawned on me. The only way you would get a second term is if all hell freezes twenty times over.” – He’ll get a 2nd term through the usual rigging. He doesn’t need hell to freeze over or even turn slightly cool. I just thought I’d point that out…:(

• Bleed blue January 30, 2013 at 2:06 pm

The inconvenient truth oh!

• T January 30, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks guys for your comments. I hope God definitely visit Nigeria and our leaders…

@olaleye1

• Retrochic January 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

this is a wonderful article, but that said i kinda of agreewith Olah it takes me and you to effect a change, Nigeria is in a state where not one person is under any realization that the judiciary system works, thier is a clear case of lack of transparency and discipline in our country, thats why a group of people can be bold enough to embezzle 27 billion naira and not feel guilty or worried, because they know that the judiciary is non-existent people and are are not accountable for thier actions, there is no sensitization to do the right thing.
    to be very candid, i really think am tired of reading all these column’s, stories on papers on blogs, because after the stories what happens next, what are we doing, what can we do, i really want to be part of a new Nigeria, where people realize the importance of honesty, sincerity.

• molarah January 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm

*yimu* @ d part of hell freezing over for him to get a second term…

The part of Nigeria I live in, people still think he’s the best thing since sliced bread. Its gonna take the whole of Nigeria rising up to take a collective stance against mediocrity, shunning all ethnic and religious sentiments, to make the change we desire a reality.

By the way, I thought Isawuru was the name in Yoruba for a specie of small snails. You got me ROTFL with the usage in your article!

All the same, nice read.

• lanre January 30, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Wow.. what an articule. totally agree with you Toyin, we really need to sensetise them; our leaders since they are in part of error already. No waepon i subscribed,but consistently voicing out with recommendations it could be our own way of revolution. god Bless Nigeria!

• zee January 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Well said!

• idn1 January 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

In 2011 for the first time and probably the last, i went all out to vote for Jonathan in the North where i lived then. I have never voted in my life because i don’t have any reason to but was deceived by my emotions cause Jonah looked like the change we all hoped for. In the first week of 2012, I became a victim of a grave terrorist attack that claimed about fifteen (15) lives. FG, STATE, LG non of them know i exist not to talk of asking how i’m faring. Since then, i have been in the UK going through countless surgeries. Thank God for coming to my rescue.
    This present administration is not just a disappointment but a mistake.
    If all government officials think like Fashola just to say the least……Nigeria would be better.

• Mz Socially Awkward… January 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thank God indeed for delivering you. I pray that your surgeries go well and you will continue testifying of His goodness throughout a long and blessed life.

• Ella January 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm

hmmm, deep sigh***

• Vashti January 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Yawn# same ol same ol stories and articles . Why are you writing a letter to GEJ?PDP the luni bins..? they could care less! Most Nigerian’s are always guilty on voting for sentiments..and its not even the right sentiments…’him dey attend our church/mosque infact na elder’ ‘na ma tribes man’ ‘he is not corrupt o…he used to jump bus (like 70% of Nigerians have done so in thier lifetime) We neva failed to look at his past accomplishments, impact on society, his integrity, leadership skills. I was actually told to vote for Mr GEJ by the sentimentalists, but I decided to do a small background research on the man whom i was voting for. Sorry to say that I could not find one genuine and valid reason that could persuade me…well except ofcourse that he had no shoes when growing up BUT then not everyone was born with a silver spoon…at least they say 70% of Nigerians are leaving below the poverty line. My point is we need to write these articles/stories/letters to Nigerians…the ignorant, the selfish, the greedy, the proud, the simpleminded and not forgetting the fools…we only have a few wise men/women in our society

• dee January 30, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I marvel at Nigerians tho. In 2011, I listened to many people praise Jonathan. What were their reasons?
    - He is the chosen one, he is a christian, he will not listen to any godfather, bla bla bla.
    my question then was, can good akara come out of bad beans??
    I still can not understand how Nigerians voted for a man that belonged to a party that they did not even like or trust and expected the man to deliver differently.
    Its a pity that people still expect anything from GEJ. He had nothing to deliver and still has nothing to deliver. The truth was right there in our faces but sentiments will not allow people see road.
    That election in 2011, I believe GEJ won because I know many Nigerians voted for him even when he didn’t really make any proper statement on how he was going to deal with issues.
    My people , 2015 is close by o! Let us be wise. Leave GEJ because as a clueless president, he has even tried his best. That CNN interview was just a mess!!

• Think March 27, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Agree with you .. truth be said, the CNN interview wrapped up his indecisiveness. I was ashamed to be a Nigerian on watching the interview #sadface#

• Vashti January 30, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Sorry for commenting again..but I just get irritated with these sort of articles. We need more ‘mind set change’ articles such as the one written by Gloria on ‘Mediocrity’ that got me thinking.

• Toyin Olaleye January 30, 2013 at 6:12 pm

It’s definitely okay to be irritated at this. I often get irritated too. This is just my feelings being put on paper. It really hurts that the only thing stopping our country from moving forward are the people will sometimes inadvertently place into office….But don’t be surprised how much these little things can make a change or touch someone
      @olaleye1

• ZEE January 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

hmmmm…..whats this?

• dont mention January 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm

beautifully written….now if only he would read it.
    vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

• Inebaby January 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Nice Article! Hope he reads it…

• taiwo January 30, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Nice!

• Dada james January 30, 2013 at 4:28 pm

mr president is a dissappointment to d whole nigerian,we neva expect these from him cos he raised our hope bt lata dashed our hope. we pray for a beta tommorrow for nigerians, we are over 50 years old bt nothing to show for it.There is hope for us in d future lts rise up to d fihht.tnx poster i luv dis.i wish to b a great mass communicator.luv u

• EasyNaija.com January 30, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I love that dude Vashti. Spot on bro. Spot on.

• Faith January 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Good write-up. I will beg to differ on the supposed “perfection” of Obama though. We forget so quickly that almost half of America did not vote for him and he’s racked up more debt than ever known in American history. The excuse will be that George Bush created the problem Jonathan also did not create the problems in Nigeria, well Obama has almost doubled America’s debt. America isn’t what it used to be and lets not deceive ourselves into this utopian view of it. Tell that to the many jobless American. Nigeria is not perfect, Jonathan isn’t and so is Obama. Obama in his first term had a lot of goodwill but he totally and utterly failed the expectations people had of him. He has supposedly made “progress” mainly in “social” issues like killing Osama, same sex marriages etc. The fascination for many people was because he was black and that has waned. In the true sense of the word, Obama is a failure. If he were the head coach of a premiership football team, he would have been sacked but politics is much more complicated. Obama is a nice orator but seriously a failure. I know Jonathan can seem clueless and uninspiring, I get that. But Obama isn’t such a great leader like you propose. I think he just soothed some emotional longing in America for something different. People eye done clear!

• Sylvia January 30, 2013 at 8:32 pm

My dear, thank you o. Sorry to say Ms Olaleye, but your write up lost all credibility, the minute you hailed Obama as someone who delivered on his promises. What Kool-aid are you drinking? For someone who lives in the US. I am even more disappointed in you. You have been swayed by rhetoric in the US, and you also thought a man like Goodluck was going to deliver. Toyin dear, that makes me doubt your sense of judgement. I keep telling people, America has not been better off under Obama. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I wasn’t sold this time around. I put the blame squarely on the Republicans, for presenting a washy candidate like Romney. If they had a credible candidate, he would have beaten Obama hands down. Obama wasn’t any better, he was just the lesser of two evils. No one wanted to live in a world where Romney was President of the United States. The thought used to give me heebie jeebies, and I wasnt “glad” in the sense that Obama won. I just knew at least for the next 4 years, the world is a little safer in his incompetent hands. So, please please please, you have two failed leaders as your example. Just like Obama that you praised, you definitely have gotten rhetoric on lockdown. Sorry girl, I’m not going to follow crowd mentality and praise your article. You didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. Hell will freeze over before he gets re-elected. I laugh in Yoruba. You better bring ice from Antarctica to freeze the hell o, cos come 2015, Oga Jona aint going nowhere. Nigerians, we get carried away too easily, dig below the surface for substance. If it was red carpet photos, people will scroll through all the pictures and critique it to the last accessory on a celeb’s neck. To sift the koko from articles that challenge your brain and thinking process, we fail. What a sorry state of affairs.

• shola Adejuwon February 1, 2013 at 12:02 pm

• zsa zsa February 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I think you are missing the point Ms. Toyin was trying to make. President Obama is not perfect and we all are not exactly happy with the economy but don’t forget how we got there in the first place. I am not a registered democrat or republican so am not taking sides but i digress.

What i understood from Ms Toyins comparisons is the fact that thousands of people coming out to witness the inauguration is quite a big deal. It is a celebration of democracy, the fact that peoples votes actually count for something. Obama won by an overwhelming majority and thats something worth talking about. We have never really experienced such in Nigeria and it makes me sad. When Obama was first campaigning over 4 yrs ago i was inspired by his community organization background and i decided to volunteer too. The situation we have in nigeria is not inspiring at all. Sorry if my thots are all over the place, my daughter is a real distraction :). I pray for Nigeria though and i won’t give up on her.

• Tim February 3, 2013 at 7:52 am

what has he done, really! maybe you need to stop watching FOX news. You should agree America was a shame of mess before Barack inherited it. Before running your mouth get all your facts together.

• aisha May 14, 2013 at 4:33 am

Thank you Sylvia…*standing ovation and a round of applause* ….i totally agree with you

• Brigitta January 30, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I feel u jare, u have jus spoken for the rest of us…

• mayowa ogundele January 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

God bless you Toyin! This is perfectly put together… And ending it with prayers is just superb.

God bless Nigeria

• grapes January 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

@ Sylvia, your criticism is a little too harsh. Draw the line between your personal dislike and criticism for Obama’ s administration and the credibility of the article written.

• NNENNE January 31, 2013 at 3:26 am

@Toyin Olaleye….My hope is that we will become selfless and put the right people in!
    Let’s stop those you buy our vote with money. Let us be vigilant and report politicians who do this .
    @Olah…Well written.The trouble is in all of us… The leaders and the led.

• Esther January 31, 2013 at 4:54 am

This is really touching, every word was well said….God bless Nigeria

• mee January 31, 2013 at 11:41 am

lol at “am not isawuru” nice piece.

• Tomi February 1, 2013 at 10:11 am

Beautiful one. Nice and brief

• esther oguntona February 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thank you Toyin and God bless you where ever you are.well said girl
    God bless Nigeria

• Miss Mo February 3, 2013 at 2:27 am

Sylvia, I have to agree with you 100%. Sad but through. All of you making noise about Obama are doing so merely because he’s a black man. Not saying it’s entirely his fault but what has he done/achieved since in office biko?

• Tim February 3, 2013 at 7:48 am

what has he done, real! maybe you need to stop watching FOX news. lol

• Miss Mo February 3, 2013 at 2:35 am

Sorry, but I agree with Vashti too.

• ebuka February 4, 2013 at 7:50 am

Nonsense!! I wish doz write up where prayers! List of complain evn Gid dat has all tins in his possession, u av 2 pray for him 2 perform dem! Av u eva tort of y u parents fulfil there promises is bcuz dey have ur goodwill and prayers..Dis nation don’t need moredan prayers pls understand dat,,nd here u are speakin d best of English in a statement of critic!use dis english 2 pray 2 heaven my dear

• Faith February 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Lovely piece here….. so precise and intelligently written

• david February 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Please we all need to stop complaining and apply the principles in that book; Righteous Man in Power.

righteousmaninpower.org

• Bee February 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm

As much as i dislike Goodluck, the problem Nigeria has is Nigerians itself… take a good look at our country last time i checked politicians= the people, police = the people, judiciary = the people, senate = the people = presidency = the people boko haram = the people, etc…
    Same problem(corruption) different people…. The common man is undisciplined, greedy, corrupt and selfish ,until we deal with the root problem nigeria will not move forward..

And as for GEJ, he is a joker, lmaoooo surrounded with jokers especially is wife (another joker)…

• Rukky Jabin Olori February 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Yeah! Is good for one to speak out. But if I may ask, “WHO IS THE RIGHT MAN?”.One thing I have understand in this our nation Nigeria, I have come to understand that, in Nigeria & all nation at large, they have people with different mind, once some group of persons refuse u as a person, so many things are bound to come up. Before president Jonathan’s regime as a president, Nigeria has produced so many Excellences & of which they promised Heaven & Earth! Do they accomplish what they promised? No! During the regime of other PRESIDENTS, was there anything called BOKO HARRAM? NO! When a nation is not settled, the leader in position will not also have a rest of mind. If u wait for a better man to come & rule Nigeria for u, u are wasting your time. All we need to do, let’s keep praying for NIGERIA. It doesn’t matter who rules or not. Remember d saying which says” D BEAUTIFUL ONES ARE NOT BORN” let’s try & support our nation. Let not spoil things with the way think.

• Aderonke April 23, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Firstly, I will say please guys lets give kudos to Toyin Olaleye for the courage and time to write and put this up. I personally don’t think is easy to wait for feed-backs because you never can tell what responses you will get. I am no advocate for Toyin but I say well done dear.
    Olla, Dimeji and others- thank you too for your diversion, that shows we have thinkers with great minds in this country.
    Here is my humble opinion and I say this respectfully, the change we want in this country “MAY NOT” happen in our own time because like the scriptures say “when the foundation is destroyed what can the righteous do?” But we can see our children enjoy the change if we want and work towards it; which means we can too.
    It is both the government and the people to make it work. YOU & I.
    How many of us have friends in this top public positions? Do we advise on what the need-fulls are? How many of us have them has cousins, family friends, do we tell them the truth at all times?
    Regardless of all that, do we tell that fellow colleague of ours that you know is changing the figure of the printer purchased from N20k to M40k that it is wrong? What we say is “it is not my business or my company, so long is not affecting me?
    When there are accidents on the highways, Nigerians standby to take pictures, no one remembers to call the agencies involved, some even look for ways to steal phones and other valuables, dammit your relation may be in a similar scenario soon would you want that? No i guess
    These are the same people that may one day become the leaders of various organizations in this country . Won’t we keep complaining of these same things?
    For the government , I think they should be careful when they make promises, they should think more on how to sanitize, orientate and rejuvenate the minds of the average Nigerian. Doing the right thing in Nigeria now is a like a sin because it seems strange, they should celebrate good acts of heroism, selflessness and empower the menial workers and encourage small business enterprises, that is what they owe the people. Create the platform for passion and reward in hard work, motivate the youth and change driven individuals, provide basic amenities and structures for all of these to work, build credible and functioning institutions and make the people see that they are ready to change the state of things and see if the people will not follow.
    I am a Nigerian and I am so passionate about making a change and I promise to selflessly in my own little way by the grace of God start from my home, office, friends, neighborhood to make a change.
    1. Obey traffic lights 2. Not throw trash out on the road 3. Orientate my own network on doing the right thing. 4. Use the social media to propagate the true Nigerian value 5. Not cheat or change figures at work 6. Speak up when I see my fellow Nigerian been maltreated or ills in the society 7. Empower one or two young people that I can mentally & physically
    7. Help call the authorities when I see incidents, accidents and dangerous zones on the roads
    8. Visit the less privileged and help as many as I can before creating my own foundation etc. These are few of my own “I DOs” for Nigeria, what is yours?

• aisha May 14, 2013 at 4:13 am

well first off, i need to state here that this piece was brilliantly written,

• AKPOTARENO HENRY May 18, 2013 at 4:12 am

PLEASE NIGERIAN’S SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT GOODLUCK IS WORKING AS HARD AS HE COULD TO SEE A BETTER NATION ALL WE NEED IS TO TRUST RESPECT OBEY AND PRAY FOR GOD’S HELP AND FAVOUR IF YOU ARE IN HIS POSITION YOU WILL UNDERSTAND

• AKPOTARENO HENRY May 20, 2013 at 6:56 am

HI EVERYONE I.M LOOKING FOR INVESTORS WHO CAN INVEST AT LEAST ONE MILLION IN MALET COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE(MCDI) AN NGO-MFI. SO AS TO HELP CREAT JOBS AND GIVE AN SME LOANS TO SMALL BUSINESS ENTERPRISES. IF THEY CAN COME AS BUSINESS PARTNER

• nnabagi July 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

attitudinal problem is wot is bringing naija backward remember dat actions and reactions must b equal b4 u achieve ur goals