A few days ago, my cousin’s girlfriend came to visit. I had caught her staring at me a few times than normal so I asked if there was a problem. Towards the end of the visit, she mentioned that she had actually been trying to figure out if I’d had my eyebrows tattooed.

When people wonder how celebrities get that perfect look even with their eyebrows, I always tell them that it’s really about knowing the shape of your face and the technique for getting the perfect brows.

If done right, your eye brows are the first thing people will see on your face. This is why it’s essential that you get it right so you don’t look like a scarecrow with a permanently anxious expression.

To get perfect eyebrows (and yes there is such a thing) all you need are the following things -

• Eyebrow Definer/Shadow or a shadow that suits your natural brow color (optional)
  • Concealer
  • A concealer brush
  • A flat top brush for blending (optional)
  • A spoolie or eyebrow brush
  • Tweezers (optional)

There are different shapes of eyebrows for different shapes of faces. It is important to know the shape of your face and your eyebrows in order to know how to proceed with getting the perfect brows.

Check out this chart  with a description of each  face shape and the eyebrows that would best suit them.

eyebrow tutorial faces 2 - BellaNaija - April2014

It is important that you know where to place your eyebrow. Because it is being drawn, it is possible to forget that the brow should flow with your brow bone (the top half of the eye socket). Here’s how to nail your brows true position.

• Place a pencil along the right or left side of the bridge of your nose. Along the length of the pencil the brow bone and pencil will meet. The point at which this occurs should be the beginning of your brow.
  • Take the pencil again and place it at the edge of the nostril; left or right and align it with the outer corner of the eye. Where the brow bone/eye socket and the pencil meet after the eye is where the brow should end. The end of the tail is also referred to as the tail of the brow.
  • The arch is very important because it could take your look from pleasurable to surprised. To determine where this arch would be, place the pencil along the outer corner of the nostril; left or right and align it with the middle of your eye. Above the eye, the pencil will meet the brow bone/ eye socket; that should be the highest point of your eyebrow’s arch.
  • After you have established the beginning, arch and end of the brow, connect the three points. You are to do this for both the top and bottom of the brow and the left and right side of the face.
  • Tweeze any extra hair you may have outside the original hairline, then brush your eyebrow hair strands back with the eyebrow brush. Brush the brow upward and cut outstanding hairs to eliminate long strands that could fall out of place later.
  • Lightly fill in your eyebrows with the eyebrow pencil (preferably the same color of your hair) until you have covered the entire eyebrow section. After this you could choose to fill it in again with an eyebrow definer or just use an eye shadow that does not have glitter. It is optional.
  • Use the concealer to clean around the eyebrow making sure you create a clean line, tracing from the inner eyebrow bone to the outer corner. Do this for the top and bottom of the brows.
  • Blend out the concealer with the flat top brush in opposite directions of the eyebrow until it has successfully blended into your forehead and crease.

To get your eyebrows to stand out and look really defined, use a concealer that is one shade lighter than your actual shade. Be sure to blend it in properly so you don’t have any harsh lines of concealer on your face. You could also use a foundation to blend it out finally for a better blend.

Although there are many variations to this technique with less or more products this is just one of them.

Watch this video and please share your tips on how you achieve your eyebrows.

Photo Credit: thatigbochick.com | ynaija.com |thenetng.com

56 Comments on BN Beauty: Get Your Eyebrows Right! Check Out Tips to Achieve Perfect Brows | Watch Tutorial Video
  • Onayimi April 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I can’t wait to try this out at home.

• anon April 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I just did and I can tell you it worked!!! I bought cover girl+olay concealer balm. Thanks that1960chick I look amazingggggg

• beeess April 8, 2013 at 4:35 pm

yummy!!! :)

• IBUKOLA@YAHOO.COM April 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm

THANK YOU FOR THIS VIDEO YOU READ MY MIND BELLA NAIJA.

• amah April 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I love thatigbochick’s make up tutorial anytime anyday. She is just a great makeup artist. I wonder why she has not started making money from this thing like BM Pro, Tara and others and I think i over heard someone say she said she has not had any formal makeup training. If this is true, then some people are truly blessed with talent. I am so downloading this vid and i would be watching it anytime i’m getting my eyebrows done until i can perfect the art of eyebrow drawing.

• polongo April 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Geez!You obviously know this gal.

• rammy April 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm

so perfect
    trendyrammy.blogspot.com

• m.h April 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Ohhhhh dis is how they do it..all the whole babes with thick nice looking brows..i need to send dis link to d babe in my office with messed up brows

• deshola April 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank u so much bella….. such easy process,all i need to do is practice.

• NikkiSho April 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I like the tutorial. The brows are not over the top like some i see these days.

• Me April 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Amazeballs, beautifully done.

• Thelma April 8, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Nice work however one does not need that much concealer to define the brows and thats why she had so much trouble blending it in. Very little at the tip of your angled brush is just fine.

• Doyin Ubani April 8, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Very nice brows! She’s truly amazing
    chloesmakeover.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bimbos-makeover-mini-photoshoot.html?spref=tw&m=1

• konnie April 8, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Very good. Learnt a few things to add to my arsenal. good job

• ebony April 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Nice lecture

• Fifi April 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm

ThAnk u will try it out ….wot of just everyday brows becos i dont think i can do this when im rushing off to work

• Sigh April 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great tutorial. My problem is i have eye brows and every tutorial is always showing people with no eye brows how to get the perfect eye brows. Sigh i just ordered my stencils from ebay cuz i cant shout again.

• gabrielle May 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

exactly, I have eyebrows as well, and i’m not about to shave them off just so I can draw them on again. I need a tutorial that shows people with eyebrows.

• Too much going on! April 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Just in time….I have never gotten mine right…woww,dat chick beside Genny s pretty,BN you didn’t put a better pix of genny…not fair…meanwhile that Face shape is funny,though I still felt it not complete…yaaaah I ve oval shape #deal wit it#

• fashionandstylepolice April 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Nice tutorial but the concealer was a bit too much.

• Chei April 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm

metamorphosis that SOME have to go thru daily to look HALF decent, chei na wa ohhh. Thank GOD we dont have to go thru that much trouble, a lil dab here a dab there and viola we are good as gold. i will pray for yall.

• the eyebrow obsession @lifetrumylens.com April 8, 2013 at 9:55 pm

yes, our secret is out!!! the lighter shade of concealer under the brows is the ultimate secret to the perfect brows.

• Couture By Makioba April 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm

You know I never knew it is concealer that is been used under d eyebrows…. Kept wondering … Anyway now I know the secret and I’m going to try it… :)

• lollipop April 8, 2013 at 11:23 pm

All that concealer???? I swear, make up business go boom in Nigeria, because they way Naija girls use make up ehn…always in excess.Subtle is not in our dictionary at all.

• Berry Dakara April 8, 2013 at 11:34 pm

No offense, but it really disturbs me when females shave off a lot or most of their eyebrows, only to pencil them in. How about no shaving that much off?

• Berry Dakara April 8, 2013 at 11:34 pm

*not

• Wow April 9, 2013 at 12:36 am

Nice, found a similar tutorial on YouTube a couple of months ago and I think I’ve finally perfected the art of properly shaping my eyebrows. I cannot leave the house any longer without my eyebrows being on point! For ladies, it’s the first thing ppl notice about us.
    I do agree with an earlier comment though, you do not need that much concealer. A little concealer applied with an angled brush goes a long way.

• jennietobbie April 9, 2013 at 3:33 am

Finger rosary :-)

• Omalicha April 9, 2013 at 4:27 am

Dats our own very Chidimma Umeh doing her thing, Francess ur beastie is so so proud of u! You Rock big time!

• Tosin April 9, 2013 at 6:24 am

Eyebrows are completely useless, yet some people spend valuable time fretting over them. You’re perfect the way you are, you know?

• Jennifer April 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Useless? Try shaving them off n leave them blank then we’ll see how useless they are

• Laila April 9, 2013 at 6:47 am

Not a fan of heaping soo much make up on the face due to break outs and all. Also, dont like this trend of drawing ones brows and throwing make up at it to “create” one. I like a more natural look. My brows are generally FULL and THICK!!! and I love them. Before I ever started tweezing, I’d use eye lash combs to comb them to shape, lol. I’ve embraced them during my teenage years and learned to shape them. All I do every morning is brush them to the shape. thats right, just comb/brush em. I do have to trim them each time I shape my brows 1ce very 2 weeks. I don’t use concealers. The only time I use a pencil is to correct flaws that happened during tweezing/shaping until the hair there grows back. I always get loads of comments on my brows. Some of my friends now have adapted my technique and started growing their brows instead of shaving most of it off (like the girl in the video initially had). I mean come on, with all that naija heat, I absolutely don’t want to be weighed down by heavy make up. Just a comment :)

• Francex April 9, 2013 at 8:05 am

Girl u r so beautiful ……yes it’s true dat ” u r perfect d way u are” but if u r goin 2 wear a makeup den u’ve got 2 have d perfect eyebrow..

• Tayo April 9, 2013 at 8:48 am

thanks for this bellanaija…. u r the best muaaah!!!!!!

• neka April 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

Nice video but i agree that theres so much concealer going on! Did the girl shave off all her eyebrows or she just ddnt have any? its funny when i see people do that and then draw them in,whats the point? These days there are soo many girls in the street looking scary with overly done eyebrows and i really don’t think it looks appealing. i think Nigerians should adopt the hair removal technique of threading! it does look beautiful,natural and lasts longer than other hair removal methods and does make scanty eyebrows appear fuller.

• eggyposh April 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

hmmm the end result still ended up looking artificial …d beginning of the brow is brilliant but towards the angle and downwards looks wrong. You probably needed to soften the sharpness of the curve and angle. And that amount of concealer sha! just saying…

• Titi April 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

Really nice video, you can use foundation to outline the brows, the conceale is a bit much and unnecessary cos it’s heavy. A little mary kay foundation and then you blend it in with your loose powder. For light skinned girls, never use black, not even soft black, stick with light brown or dark brown, if your hair is dark.

• Sisi Calabar April 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Nice video…i admire women that spend this much time making up…even brown powder 4 me is like mission impossible. I’ll probably go 2 work 2 hrs late if i try this…lol

• molly April 9, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Omotola is pretty sha

• Cool cat April 10, 2013 at 1:01 am

Some people use concealer as an eye shadow base so it might not be too much. Concealer will set your eye shadow and make it last longer.

• PEACE April 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

genny is drop dead gorgeous. the babe is too finny

• chioma April 10, 2013 at 10:22 am

me like this genny girl to bits. she is my best celeb any day anytime. thnk God i look like her lol. love u some more genny.

• chioma April 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

me like the last point on oval face ‘am ideal face shape’. genny is truelly an epitome of beauty jare.

• Fola April 10, 2013 at 11:48 am

pls am i the only one that could barely hear what she was saying? the music totally overshadowed her voice.

• Chic April 11, 2013 at 11:03 am

I only use a pencil to fill in and a brown one at that no concealer or anything that is too much work for me and my brows are perfect. My brows are still thick even without filling in but i like to fill on to define them and i “tweeze” using a razor blade lol can’t stand the pain of tweezers or threading. I like to keep it simple I re “tweeze” every two weeks and it takes me less than five minutes to do that with a razor blade

• nikkoye April 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm

nice one there…want to knw if she is a make up artist..if yes her contact please..

• audrey April 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Apparently, the “drag queen” looking eyebrows is what most of my fellow naija/black ladies around d world love now. All the same thatigbochick, I love ur clear skin despite the fact that u use makeup. My skin can’t survive a day with makeup!

• janet murikira April 27, 2013 at 10:27 am

i love that igbo chick!!!!! any day!!!!

did a post on her too :)

• janet murikira April 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

i love that igbo chick!!!!! any day!!!!

did a post on her too :)

educatedajebutter.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/make-up-blog-that-igbogirl-com-i-am-a-die-hard-follower/ “Make up blog ‘ That Igbogirl.com ‘ ‘ i am a die hard follower’”

• annabel May 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Wow! This is lovely nice one

• Nigeriansabroad May 12, 2013 at 2:43 pm

this is really lovely. need to do some work on ma brows.

• Caite June 7, 2013 at 12:23 am

Ok, for the people that keep insisting that people not shave their eyebrows just to pencil them in.. consider the people (like me) with BLONDE eyebrows, that aren’t apparent. If I don’t draw them in, I look like a scared rabbit. Thanks.

• okezie mary April 27, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Hers is very cute! I need to learn this

• MJ August 22, 2014 at 12:51 am

Thanks for the video. I had a mishap with waxing at home and I’m browless at the moment. I am not a huge fan of makeup (sometimes, lust a little lipstick but that’s it). I need to go get supplies to draw in some brows but you make it look possible. You are not only talented but beautiful. Thanks again!