BN Beauty: Get Healthy & Shiny Hair with 4 Easy Do It Yourself Hair Care RecipesPosted on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 at 3:45 PM
By Neni Stone
Homemade hair treatments like shampoo and conditioner can be as good as or even better than commercially bought ones. These homemade recipes are the more natural ways to clean and condition, rather than putting your hair and scalp through a barrage of unnatural products.
The live cultures and stimulating enzymes in homemade hair treatments make them unbeatable for revitalizing your hair, for a fraction of the cost. Why waste your money on something you could make at home?
Eggs, yogurt and honey, at first glance, are all components of a delicious breakfast; but they also happen to be hair treatment ingredients, and affordable, all-natural ones at that. That’s not all. Did you also know that the oils in avocado closely resembles our own skin’s oils than any product in the beauty aisle? Or that the mild acidity in lemon is an effective and gentler alternative to chemical filled products?
So, the next time your locks need a lift, save yourself some money by using any of these kitchen fixes.
• 1/2 cup yogurt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 egg
1. In a bowl, whisk the egg until smooth and slightly frothy.
2. Then add the olive oil and continue to whisk.
3. Add yogurt in slowly and blend in smoothly with a spoon.
4. Add to your hair and leave for 30 minutes before washing off.
• Half of a ripe avocado
• 2 teaspoons of olive oil
1. In a bowl, mix the ingredients until they reach a creamy consistency.
2. Shampoo hair and squeeze out excess water.
3. Divide hair into sections and apply the mixture to each section.
4. Cover hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap.
5. Warm your hair with a blow dryer on a low heat setting for about one minute. The heat will allow the mask to soak in much further than it would without.
6. Leave mask on hair for 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
7. Condition as usual.
Eggs are what I use whenever I want my hair to shine. They’re best used as a pre-wash homemade hair conditioner, to bring out the shine of dull and damaged hair.
• 1 large egg
1. Break the egg and whisk until foamy.
2. Dampen your hair with some water.
3. Massage the egg mixture into the hair and cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap.
4. Leave for 20-30 minutes, then rinse and shampoo as normal.
This homemade dandruff shampoo is very quick and easy to make (in fact it takes less than 5 minutes). And what’s more, it’s easy on your scalp and your piggy bank.
Most commercial anti-dandruff shampoos work by stripping the top layer of the scalp completely, so as not to leave any flaky skin behind. This can be very drying to your scalp and will eventually only cause more problems.
By mixing a few essential oils with a mild baby shampoo, you will not only have dandruff free hair but you will probably save some money as well.
Apart from leaving your hair shiny and dandruff free, this shampoo will soothe the scalp too.
• 10 oz (300ml) mild baby shampoo (any brand will do).
• 10 drops lavender essential oil.
• 5 drops tea tree essential oil.
• 5 drops rosemary essential oil.
Simply add the essential oils to the baby shampoo and shake.
If the baby shampoo is in a clear bottle, it’s best to store it in a dark place to protect the oils from losing their qualities.
That’s it. Easy and affordable hair quickies to help you with your daily hair care regimes. So, what are you waiting for? Get to work and turn yourself into a hair care expert.
Photo Credit: Thinkstock | Getty Images | Puremakeupblog | Gnc.com | Mountainside-medical | Cidrap.umn.edu | Vincesmarket.ca
Neni Stone owns a natural beauty and wellness blog. Using herself as a guinea pig, she has been compiling recipes and remedies since she was fifteen years old. Today, she has compiled almost a thousand recipes and has no intentions of stopping any time soon. You can follow Neni on her blog Nenisnaija.blogspot.com or Like her page on Facebook Page.