Posted on Tuesday, January 7th, 2014 at 1:39 PM

By BellaNaija.com

The Banky & Tiwa Show - January 2014 - BellaNaija 02

“Oh yeah she bleached”

“I look a lot better now that I am light skinned”.

Year in, year out, the conversation continues.

And it is only right that we see the conversation discussed on primetime television. In December 2013, Ebony Life TV aired the first episode of The Banky & Tiwa Show hosted by music superstars Banky W and Tiwa Savage.

The Banky & Tiwa Show - January 2014 - BellaNaija 01

To kick off, the show they discussed “Bleaching”. With BellaNaijarians currently buzzing about Dencia‘s new skincare line – In case you missed it, click here, we don’t think we will ever see the last of the beauty regimen.

Nigerian songstress Omawumi, DJ/artiste DJ Xclusive and comedian Basketmouth, all tell us what they think about bleaching.

Watch!

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 74 Comments on “DJ Xclusive says “Nigerian Men Love Light Skinned Girls”, Basketmouth says “Everything White Seems Good” | Watch The Banky & Tiwa Show on Bleaching”

Comments
    • Lolade January 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM

this topic has been flogged to death. we have heard o…light skinned it preferred and women bleach so that they can appear light skinned. queue awon Dencia and co with the bleaching creams, whitenizers etc

• NEWBIE January 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM

as in!!!! i was just saying the same thing to myself!!! i tire..

• Newbie January 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM

oi, who art thou? Get your own user name, osiso!

• http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/ January 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Thanks! <3

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

• Asup January 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Firstly, this topic has been discussed too many times. Let’s discuss somn else.

Secondly, I watched the Tiwa and Banky and cringed constantly. Those two should not quit their day jobs. The two of them and their guests kept trying to talk over eachother. You guys need to tone it down biko. Plus they kept going on commercial breaks. I’m guessing there weren’t enough decent bits after the editing to make a full 30 minutes how…. Just my 2 kobo.

• Shorthairdontcare January 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Shebi when I talked about the fact that Nigerian men encourage the bleaching strand by passing up beautiful chocolate skinned sisters for yellow pawpaws I was accused of having low self-esteem now una don hear am abi? If there’s no demand for ‘high yellow’ chicks the need to be light by force by fire would reduce. Abeg BN bring another topic jor.

• AA January 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

hehe….I repent

• Shorthairdontcare January 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM

AA I forgive you, depart and sin no more! Hugs

• oj January 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM

abi o

• Lapes Beautiful Creature January 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Truth is in a crowd of dark skinned people, its very easy to spot a light skinned person. They are like flashing lights. On getting close they might not even be fine. But there are so many ways to be attractive without bleaching.

lapesbeautifulcreature.blogspot.com

• ContessaVlad January 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Same men would go around swearing that they like ‘natural girls without long weaves and small makeup’ but wait till they see a black-to-white convert with 30″ weaves and red lipstick, they start stammering and pledging their whole lives to the babe. Who are we deceiving. Biko make I go continue to rub my E45 lotion, rock my Brazilian hair jare and use my Mac ‘makeups’, I make my own rules and whoever wants to be in my life is welcome to stay whoever doesn’t can go to hell, all this rules and regs sef. The Indians bleach like mad hope you guys know so no be just Naija mata, see people killing themselves over natural hair vs relaxed and now bleaching vs non-bleaching. msheeeeew

• Wale January 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Ehn ehn, so E45 dey work. I for sabi am too. Actually-just joking, I don’t think women dig men that bleach.

• Idak January 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM

No let Omotola heare that last part of your comment. She will vehemently disagree with you.
          Babes a’re digging KCee of Limpopo fame big time.
          Do you still want more examples?

• Wowza March 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Smh. So you are proud to bleach just because that is what men like?!!! You lack confidence my dear. Bleaching may get you a man but it will never keep that man for you. Do you, God made us all perfect and bleaching is an insult to his beautiful handiwork.

• anonymous January 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

The thing is.. although most guys prefer light skinned women.. it is only because society today makes them believe that light is more desirable.
      Personally, I think that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and color.. it doesn’t matter if you’re dark. Black i beauty. And to all men who prefer light over dark, I feel sorry for them that they even have a preferance. Screw them and their opinion, you don’t need to bleach for any man or woman. One is beautiful in the color they were born with.. just as God intended for it to be.

• mrs chidukane January 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM

The banky and tiwa show is truly bad.The set is so dull and they’re not engaging. Most times it’s like Tiwa forgets herself. I don’t even know why they have a show.They find it difficult formulating questions, geez!Anyway,society never told anyone light skin is better. The truth is that light skinned girls stand out and men usually prefer being with a chick everyone would notice due to their innate competitive nature.However,all shades are beautiful. I love being dark,but if I was fair I’d still love it as well cos I love myself.

• DON DRAPER January 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Most women also prefer darker skinned men right?

• Nabz January 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Ever since Chris Brown and TI came on to the scene, along with that light skinned (and extremely fine) Ghanaian actor, more women have jumped on the lightskinned men wagon but for me, I’m still very much loyal to my darker skinned brothers. I think their skin is just beautiful. Light skin doesn’t do it for me at all. Yes, light skin makes a man LOOK more attractive and while some truly are, it just cannot compare to the delicious darker skin. There’s just something about a tall dark skinned brother in fitted shirt and slim fit chinos that makes my kitty start misbehaving… :D

• Inspired by Africa January 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM

With much passion I reply: WRONG!!!!
        Lol! :)

Whilst there is nothing at all wrong with light skinned fellas, there are many women who have love for the dark skinned gentlemen. And with guyz like Lance Gross (is God for realz?!!), Idris Elba (good gracious), Aldis Hodge (whew!), Morris Chestnut (fine like wine!), Malik Yoba (bin fine for dayz!), Taye Diggz (come on!), Blair Underwood (yoh!)….and many others out there, it is not hard to see why Black leads the pack of hotness!

• Inspired by Africa January 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM

#RIGHT!!!

• bees January 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM

You didn’t mention Michael Ealy, but I forgive you.

• Don Draper of Mad Men January 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM

so at the end of the day it all boils down to prefrence. Maybe we should stop criticizing men for their choices since women dont get a lot flack for prefering dark-skinned men.
          Dont get me started on those yummy looking men. You just want to eat them all up. My fiance is dark skinned and i cant stop staring at his butt. *chuckles* so sexy.

• Dee January 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Well, that’s quite a list you have there :) As a light skinned lady, I still prefer my men dark (Darker the berry, sweeter the juice ;)..)

PS; you forgot to mention Denzel Washington….and I forgive you too…hehhe!

• Titi January 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM

That BCBG dress Tiwa wore is to die for! ‘Me I canst fit to turns mysef yallow for anytin oooo’

• Didi January 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM

*Applauds ‘ContessaVlad’*

• nene January 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM

i still see a lot of men married to dark women. most men married to bleached/light skinned women for that sole reason (skin tone) are usually nonsense men. fact! most people don’t care, only an insecure man or one looking for a status with his trophy wife. i’m not ready to be a trophy wife to an insecure and egocentric man who only cares about my skin colour.

• Ada January 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I agree. With the media and people acting like lighter skin women get the most attention. Most men are still going for darker skin women at least in Nigeria. Where the population are mostly dark/brown skin. I hear naija men say, yellow paw paw but their girlfriends and wives are darker skin. So, it’s just an hype of skin color. I’m just tired of taking about the same topic over and over again.

• I'm Rick James Bitch! January 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

What’s with the light skin dark skin? Even Oprah and Iyanla are on that tip this week.

• jcsgrl January 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Hmnn I comment my reserve on this show shaa…hopefully they will get better with time. That couch doesnt look comfy though

• PP January 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM

and the war continues as far; me i bleached unknowingly oh fair and white

• faith January 7, 2014 at 9:36 PM

My dear, I am with you. Used my sisters cream for one month and I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was someone that even told me and when I got home, I checked name of cream, omo, see cry..Mstcheewww. . and the thing is my sister is naturally very fair andi am not so fair so it is just showing that I used something. . very painful

• Purple Fire January 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

For all those who are convinced that ONLY light skinned women/girls look beautiful or can stand out. And for those spending their money trying to look such, I have two words: Genevieve Nnaji. Who wants to argue?

• nonye January 7, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Kpom!

• nene January 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

let me continue: ego boyo, agbani darego, chinenye ochuba, lupita nyong’o, leila lopes, perola (angolan siger), yvonne okoro, jackie appiah, isio wanogho, nike oshinowo, kate henshaw, omoni oboli, and many more

• Idak January 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

See list???????
          Thunder go fire the person wey invent bleaching cream o!
          For compiling such a lovely list, e go better for you and yours this new year. That list you have up there is IT.

• Leah January 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM

So you decided to still my comment right? Love this list. Let’s compare your list of beautiful and naturaly dark women in Nigeria (famous) to the notorious bleachers and let the men here pick the ones they rather have and the women pick the list they rather be on.
          DARK and LOVELY: Agbani Darego, Stephanie Okereke, Genevieve Nnaji, Kate Henshaw. Dakore Egbuson, Tiwa Salvage, Omoni Oboli, Chioma Chukwuka etc.
          NOTORIOUS BLEACHERS: Tonto Dicke, Rukky Sanda, Rita Dominic, Toke Makinwa, Uche Obodo, Halima Abubaka etc.
          So guy which of these groups of women based on skin color, beauty, talent and the way the conduct themselves generally would you pick. And for women, which group do you admire the most based on those qualities. As a lady I’ll take the top. Honestly I really have not come in contact with Nigerian men that “refer light skin” women, but I might be wrong.

• Me January 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM

GBAM!!!!

• Don Draper of Mad Men January 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM

lupita nyongo,stephanie okereke, alek wek,dakore egbuson, agbani darego, the lopez girl than won miss universe, oluchi, tiwa savage etc.

• African Man January 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Nigerians must be confused at the lady describing herself as ‘brown’ as opposed to ‘light skinned’, which she uses to describe her son. LOL. I can’t stress this enough…skin disease risk aside, you are most beautiful in your natural colour people!

• Idak January 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I am team ‘the darker the better’. Nothing excites me like a dark lady.

Moving on, can we discuss this show and its hosts? Tiwa as a talk show hostess? Apart from showcasing lovely outfits, does she have anything else to offer? Or is it too early to judge?

• jcsgrl January 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM

You know my bros you don mention dis before and I didn’t like the comment but after dis, I’m thinking of retracting that comment. That is why I said hopefully it will get better. But no be only Tiwa even Banky. Which one is wearing shortnicker(sp) and slippers to do street interview?

• Don Draper of Mad Men January 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Lol @idak the darker the berry the sweeter the juice. Lol i heard that line for the first from a perverted taxi driver. I couldnt wait to get out of the car!

• Idak January 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

As a fellow black lover, I humbly apologize on behalf of the cabbie :-)

• whocares January 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM

They were a bit awkward to watch. But I suppose its too early to judge from a 4 minute clip. I dont even mind the t-shirt and slippers.

• Dr. N January 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Their set, topics, guests? I find it difficult not to wonder the purpose of the show. Would have preferred them mentoring aspiring singers or something. You should always play to your strengths. The show they did on “Addictions” was a turn off. Advising people with addictions to seek help, when their music is all about clubbing and so on. http://www.drnsmusings.wordpress.com

• Idak January 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Banky wey dey drink like fish is advising others to seek help with addiction? Anyway excess booze has never been viewed as addiction in Naija.
          I wonder if this ebony tv thing is going to be measured on the basis of ROI Abi na free money tinz? If na free money, then we will see many more of these dead-on-arrival shows being aired on it.

• Mz Socially Awkward... January 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I didn’t even attempt to watch it, I’ve seen Tiwa in “Shuga” already so didn’t have much hope that she’ll flow more naturally in front of a camera without a script. And Banky’s notably corny (no offence, Atoke :-)), which just made the pairing seem really odd for a talk show.

One of these two people should have been given a more dynamic co-host.

• Idak January 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I felt genuine pity for her when she hosted Headies.

• FJD January 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

#LOBATAN ! Basket Killed it. Omawunmi , for real that’s the name #YALOW

• Jaydyte January 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Everybody has a show these dayz, what’s up with all these shows, eh! I tire. Today, it’s Monkey show, tomorrow we will hear Torotolo and Goat show. I guess since video camera is 12cents a dozen these days, it’s an open source to start your own show, or even make one of those seriously lacking home movies, for cheap fame. YouTube is also free! Anyway, love me some BasketMouf anyday, he added a little spice to the show, good choice.

• Noms January 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM

lol@PP, you bleached unknowingly. The name Fair and White,wetin e mean.
      To all the guys who like them bleached, when you get married to these bleached ladies and start having dark kids, pls don’t ask questions cos the bleaching doesn’t get to the genes.
      I rest my case.

• lee January 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM

@noms maybe they’d sue like that chinese man that ended up with ugly kids.

• Ewa January 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM

LOL.. That story still cracks me up.. Kai..

• Ana January 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM

What do we expect when our own African musicians and movie industries promote this. The musicians even go all the way to Europe and the US to get white girls to feature on their music videos , or use light skinned girls except a few. Same thing happens in the movie industry especially in Nigeria, the light skin girls always get to play the main role except for a few black girls like Ini Edo, Genevieve Nnaji, and Mercy Johnson. The African media should begin by fighting against such stereotypes.

• Diya January 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Black people may not be singing slave songs, picking cottons and planting sugar cane at the white people’s plantations anymore but we are still their slaves. Mental slaves to the white man. We are still the white man’s bitch.
      That comedian with huge eyeballs got it right. I wish he wasn’t being loud and trying to be over funny. He’s already funny. Insecurity is a serious issue. Research should be done and it should be addressed on a better show. I also like that they got the opinion of a man that women find attractive, DJ Exclusive. It puts some things into perspective such as some (not all) women bleach their skin to get the attention of men.

• asgrl January 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

The irony of the timing of this article, especially on the heels of an article where Eku Edewor (SP?) is quoted on the bias she experiences as a result of being mixed race and light skinned. Subtle shade BN?

Its a sad state of things. That of all things to worry about, black people can’t even be themselves in their own skin on their soil.

I’ve said this before, growing up in Nigeria, I was surrounded by beautiful brown and dark skinned women like Joke Silva, Abike Dabiri, Ruth Benemisia Opia, Ego Boyo. So i didn’t think anything of my skin color.

I grew up believing the “Bleashing” was something lower class, Lagos market women or promiscuous women did.

Thinking that by getting lighter you are going to resolve gaping issues in your life e.g. Finding a man, making more money, is the wrong way to think.

Light skinned people have issues too.

• Nadz January 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM

As in! when I was younger my parents had a driver that bleached and a nanny that bleached and I was so scared of them! I think it is because we are now seeing women who bleach and they don’t have awful knuckles. Sorry to name names but Ms Anumudu is bright white and her husband is medium brown, and her kids are BLACK, methinks the yellow came out of a bottle, but her own is the high class bleaching that doesn’t show your at the knuckles.

• OmoMakun January 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Love the skin your in…Shinkena!

• yesisaidit January 7, 2014 at 8:58 PM

i can NOT stand Tiwas SPEAKING voice, its a complete turn off. Although i love her Brandy like singing voice

• Chigbo January 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Bleaching doesn’t cure ugly

• Tee January 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM

That is all

• dee baba January 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM

its funny because u never see banky dress like this on a red carpet, this combo looks good!

• Angel January 8, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Am sick of this bleaching issue, it’s becoming irritating…
      I don’t get why Nigerians like to take panadol for some other person’s headache.
      For Pete’s sake if u wanna bleach, f…..king bleach and if u don’t like it, simply don’t do it, Mtcheeeeew…

• Onye January 8, 2014 at 4:03 AM

I’m dark-skinned and never had problems in attracting guys…even white guys!!

• NNENNE January 8, 2014 at 4:15 AM

TO ALL THEIR OWN.
      I do me. No man in the world will take me away from whom I am.Take me the way I am or keep moving. There are still men that prefer dark skinned women.
      However, in today’s world, beauty is more than physical. There are plenty of girls with less physical attributes , who attract men more than some “beautiful” ones.
      Question is , WHAT IS BEAUTY?

• Thats Moi! January 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM

worst show ever! they should remain in the music industry. running live shows isnt meant for everybody!

• Me January 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Let them all bleach. then in a group of 10girls, the only black one will stand out…hehehe

• chy January 8, 2014 at 9:28 AM

the fear of skin cancer is d beginning of wisdom. a..holes.

• Modella January 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Lol@ Leah compilation….

• Oyin January 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Right, so I live in London and this is’nt aired on any channel, where can I watch the show?? As well as Moments with Mo?

• Tee girl January 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM

shut up please. enough of this bleaching issue. kilode gan! i’m very fair and it is not funny when people take jabs at me and ask for the cream i use like we all fair people are bleached/bleaching.By the way, Rita Dominic has always been fair to the mumu that said she bleached. Light skin is highly overrated. My sis is dark, you should see how pretty she is. When we go out, she gets all the cute guys. So really, to each his own. Do whatever you want with yourself. The people bleaching don’t have issues with those who don’t, so why should you with them because you are not? The market is big enough for all of us.

• Tee January 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Stop bleaching period! It makes the look tacky and desperate……

• Keji February 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Black is beautiful. Be content with what ever color of skin God has given to you. Eat healthy, exercise and be happy then you see your skin glowing ; black or white. Bleaching is born out of complexity.

• Aframaco April 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM

For a start, I am personally getting fed up on Black people and the “fair vs dark” brouhaha, When White men fall over themselves for Blonde women, we dont hear a song and dance.It is particularly promoted in Hollywood with all that Blonde bombshell palaver.

In most “cultures”, the opposite attracts mantra is prevalent.

In Nigeria, there are many people who are brown skinned or light skinned naturally, there are also a rising percentage of mixed race people, and if they catch the eye….ehn na….they catch the eye, and lets be clear, there is no hard and fast rule to the attraction debate, there seems just as many Black women who thoroughly fantasize about light skin or White men, sometimes almost to the point of vulgarity….there are equally light skin people who are colour stuck , and would only date or marry another light skin person.

As a dark skin male, I do ascribe to the colour contrast too with light skin females, but that perhaps is also because most light skin women are partial to the tall Black brother.

But Bleaching is a totally different argument, I would rather (and eagerly) date a Zulu Black woman any day, than any fake ass dutty dutty skin bleaching woman…..Lupita Nyiongo….step forward.