Iyanya: “Artistes Need to Make a Lot of Money to Stay Relevant”

Iyanya - December 2013 - BellaNaija (4)

Living La Vida Superstar is expensive.

Iyanya recently had an interview with Encomium Magazine on how superstars have to live up to everyone’s expectations.

Read Excerpts from the interview;
On why artistes create hit songs and find it hard to maintain: “Music is very expensive. Most of them make money and it’s hard to put it back the same thing. Your next money is not guaranteed because there are lots of artistes. If you say you wouldn’t do show A, they can take artiste B for that show. It doesn’t mean that because you have a hit song, you would be performing at all shows. It doesn’t work like that. So, some of these guys, it’s hard for them. It’s hard for them to follow up. Follow up is the hardest thing to do. Many artistes make a hit but the money they make from that hit is not even enough for them to support or sponsor the next video. So don’t blame them”.

On the need make a lot of money to stay relevant: “Yes. Let me give you an instance. I had a show here in Lagos, I was in Dubai. They made a mistake and booked my flight for Monday and the show was on Sunday. We rushed to the airport, they said no that my ticket was for the next day. After much pleading and explaining that I had a show that night in Lagos, they said alright.

I could board but not business class since it wasn’t my flight. I had to fly economy class with my business class ticket. Sitting down there, people around where staring at me like what am I doing here. A woman even walked up to me and said “Iyanya, you no suppose dey here now, na the other side you suppose dey”. What came to my mind next was that I can’t just decide to fly economy today, it will become gist. I have to work hard, I have to make money, to live up to your expectations. It’s not like am living my life for you but its the life I chose. So, I have to do it.”

30 Comments on Iyanya: “Artistes Need to Make a Lot of Money to Stay Relevant”
  • Hurperyearmie January 15, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Hmmmmmmm it is well

• DAMMY January 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm

hmmmmm it is welll

• nkwerres finesr January 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm

The vanity of man. Hmmmm

• Iyke January 15, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Sad, really sad! If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome

• Chelizruby January 15, 2014 at 5:54 pm

It is well.

chelizrubycube.blogspot.com

• Chichi January 15, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Nothing he said made sense :s

• Ekwitosi January 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm

“What came to my mind next was that I can’t just decide to fly economy today, it will become gist. I have to work hard, I have to make money, to live up to your expectations. It’s not like am living my life for you but its the life I chose. So, I have to do it.”
    No, you don’t have to do it first of all do you and all other things are secondary! If you start the luxury life from day one what would be left then? These are the same people that would tear you down.

• FJD January 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Thank God someone is been very sincere!

• X-Factor January 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

You cant please the whole world man!..the same set of people you are trying to please today may end up messing you up when or if things fall apart….
    Now I understand why some of these artistes and so called celebs are heavily indebted to travel agencies, fashion stores, even restaurants and bars…….
    Worked on a project once and was amazed at the number of celebs indebted to an upscale cosmopolitan restaurant that used to be in Ikoyi…
    Keep Balling Maan!!!, the world is your stage, you only need to dance with caution…

• ms lala January 15, 2014 at 7:10 pm

okaaaaaaaaaay i took a flight from Arizona to La guess who i saw in economy with moi…RICK FOX..he has maaaad money but why pay 15grand for first class when economy is pretty much 800bucks..yeah keep pleasing useless people and watch them be the one to point your downfall

• *Real* Nice Anon January 15, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Plix educate me further on where domestic flight is $800 and first class $15k. In this same America or somewhere else? Since when did Arizona to LA become $800?

• sigh January 15, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Omo, you too dey lie. Arizona is near LA. Even 1st class can NEVER be $1000!!! $500 max because economy cane $100 or less for return. Chei. Like the person who said London time is 6hrs behind Lagos time LOL

• OmoMakun January 15, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Errrr, so he was in economy class and then? Mschew, please its not a big deal. If you try to please ppl all your life you will FAIL! However I do get his point about what artist go though, but all na wash at the end of the day. They need to just be honest and cut their coat according to their size or else that money will not last.

• http://www.adenikeadebayo.com/ January 15, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I’m not quite sure he got his message across … I don’t understand??

adenikeadebayo.com

• Amaka January 15, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Please I think superstars don’t have to live up to everyone’s expectations! Just live and let others live.

• Ngozi January 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

In rick ross’s voice. “Huuuuuuuuuuuuuh!”

• Samantha January 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Iyana Biko listen and listen well. Whether na good tin you do…people go yan. Whether na bad tin you do…people go yan! You nor be the only bobo dey this earth wet people go for gist about, and if they gist you eh-hen?! What is their own?!

Biko Biko live a life to please God and yourself, the more you try to please others the deeper the hole you are digging will become. You can never please people because they will always have something to say.

• Samantha January 15, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Wey people go fit gist about*

• NaijaPikin January 15, 2014 at 8:11 pm

You never know the insecurities pple have to deal with.

You can always tell people who are rich from those who are wealthy. My friend better start living your life for you, not for pple. Who cares what people will say.

• Gloria January 15, 2014 at 8:20 pm

IYANYA is too hot Now. Right at the peak of his Career. I kinda see why Yvonne fell for him. But trust Nigerians guys na. Their Shakara too much. Im talking from experience. I did fall for some Naija guys but girls full everywhere and they get confused. I mean its only a Naija guy that will see a Princess like Yvonne Nelson n not treat her as such. (My hubby is an exception doh). #Winks

• This is seanmazing!!! January 15, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Absolutely rubbish!

• Que January 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Ummm, pls scratch dat quote ‘…. It’s not like am living my life for you but its the life I chose. So, I have to do it.”….. Mr Man yess indeed you r living your life for pple who don’t care…..n claimingg ‘have to do it’…… come on maannnnn….#Boytalking!

• kilipot January 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Ok o. Wish you well on your rat race.

• fleur rouge January 16, 2014 at 1:43 am

The tragedy of a fragile ego and acute inferiority complex. He obviously has not defined for himself who he is, what he stands for and what matters. otherwise, why would someone’s random comment clearly intended to bring you down so that they can have five minutes of being on top mentally be the only reason you want to make another record? If money is the driver for artists, there will be no best selling artists. Very successful musicians and other artists engaged in other art forms have made their mark on history and become wealthy because they commercialize their emotions be it through paintings, music, etc. So to think that you want to keep making money to respond to ndi asiri is just unfortunate.  So if I want you to rob a bank or commit an atrocity in the name of money, I have to approach you on one of those business class trips and ask you why you are still patrolling commercial airlines when your mates are in chartered or privately owned jets. Indeed, a tragedy. Mindset can be a dangerous weapon!

• Mz Socially Awkward... January 16, 2014 at 11:53 am

It’s an absolutely dangerous mindset. And Iyanya (who I’m really tempted to define as a “man-child” right now), has just voiced the actual mentality of many Nigerians – not just the music stars.

There are too many of us who find it necessary to sleep with somebody, steal money, kiss ass, go see a native doctor, etc. just so that we can stay on top. Otherwise, imagine the horror of what people will say if they see us flying economy (what an insipid human being; Yvonne, you’ve dodged a lead weighted bullet here, you should thank your good God everyday for that).

And the same mindset explains why Nigeria is in the rot that it’s remained in – nobody’s interested in building anything, whether it’s a legacy, social infrastructure, a country’s economy or even damn Nollywood. We just wanna flex for the other boiz and gehs so that all the masses can admire our expensive weddings, our pricey cars, our designer gear on red carpets and that jet setting lifestyle we’re in great debt to maintain. The word “losers” has never fit a group of individuals so aptly.

• nene January 16, 2014 at 3:42 pm

you got it. this interview shows the average mentality of nigerians. they live their lives to “show” naysayers and their “haters”. my mantra is:live your life for yourself! shikena

• @IamMcPetros January 16, 2014 at 9:42 am

“Living La Vida Superstar is expensive” Nahso. I’m A Superstar too.

• Isabella January 16, 2014 at 1:41 pm

vanity upon vanity…..next thing is you would have to get involved in drugs just to fly ‘first track’….you set your own trend, not the other way round my dear Iyanya.

• nene January 16, 2014 at 3:39 pm

this is one of those musicians who will enter one chance. tomorrow when he has finished living his luxurious life, he will ask us to donate money for his surgery. iyanya, save money for ur future, nobody really cares about if u fly economy or first class, yes it’ll be gist, but the gist will fade away when people r tired of talking.