Eritrea trends with”All Men Must Marry 2 Wives” Story

Eritean model - Eden

Eritean model – Eden

A statement which has made it way around the internet claims that men in Eritrea are being compelled to marry 2 wives by their government.

According to the statement which was written in Arabic, the highest official of religious law in Eritrea – the Grand Mufti called for all men in the country to marry at least two wives and the government assured the men that it would pay for the marriage ceremonies and houses.

According to the government, the order is because there is an acute shortage of men occasioned by causalities during the civil war with Ethiopia.

Reports claim that the document warns that any man or woman who opposes the decision will face a life sentence.

Eritrea Document

Based on the law of God in polygamy, and given the circumstances which the country is experiencing in terms of men shortage, the Eritrean department of Religious Affairs has decided on the following:

First that every man shall marry at least two women and the man who refuses to do so shall be subjected to life imprisonment with hard labour.

The woman who tries to prevent her husband from marrying another wife shall be punished to life imprisonment.

The document cannot be independently verified at this time so it could all be a hoax.

Photo Credit: @eden_michael Instagram

53 Comments on Eritrea trends with”All Men Must Marry 2 Wives” Story
  • Mr. Egghead January 26, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Nothing wrong with that. All the viable men have been lost to war. They have to repopulate that country before it becomes a wasteland.

• A Real Nigerian January 27, 2016 at 1:38 am

We have to repopulate your skull with more brain cells. It is clearly turning into an empty wasteland.

• FasholasLover January 27, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Aaaaarg!!!, everything na fight. It ain’t that serious. I might just move to Eritrea then, l dont have to be a side chick. Wives can then sleep with both eyes closed.?

• I_I January 27, 2016 at 5:47 pm

This is a silly comment if ever I saw one. Its lack of home trainng that makes people like you attack strangers for random comments on the internet..

• californiabawlar January 26, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Lol! It’s quite possible o…these people are not allowed to marry outside their country or culture so they may actually need to double up ‘cos what do you want the women to do?? I mean, they can’t even marry Somalians!
    A mutual Kenyan friend wasted a chunk of her life getting married to an Eritrean guy once…they dated for 10years, after his family finally ‘agreed’ to the union by force, guy moves mama from their country to Dallas for the wedding…mama pours pepper and fire into their relationship…guy starts to misbehave….the whole shindig didn’t even last a year…the guy is out every night getting drunk trying to hump everyone in skirt…the babe is remarried to oyinbo in Houston. Maybe his mama can ship two lovely damsels in for him….

• A Real Nigerian January 27, 2016 at 1:41 am

Yeah, we get it. You know people in Kenya, Eritrea and Houston, TX.

• californiabawlar January 27, 2016 at 6:06 am

Lmaooo!! I won’t even ask what the big deal is about having friends of different cultures. My moniker reads californiabawlar i.e. a baller in Cali (maybe…maybe not)…but what else did you expect? I’m well on my way to being mutual friends with the Obamas…the Kenyans in DC. You know what they say…when you’re big you’re big…when you’re the ‘a real nigerian’ you’re irrelevant.

Now sweetheart if your ill manners will let you, go and get friendly with the the guy that sells you shawarmas…you too will now know someone in Lebanon! Lobatan! international connections have started in your life niyen!! If that’s going to be too much of a culture shock for you…I also have connects in Aramoko Ekiti (#startedfromthebottomnowI’mhere)….that would be a huge step up from the hole you crawled out from.
        narrow-minded twat.

• CovertNigerian January 27, 2016 at 6:11 am

Going by that lack of logic, should we get that you don’t understand that Dallas and Houston are 2 different places?

• A Real Nigerian January 27, 2016 at 7:43 am

“My moniker reads
        californiabawlar i.e. a baller in Cali
        (maybe…maybe not)…but what else did
        you expect? I’m well on my way to being
        mutual friends with the Obamas…the
        Kenyans in DC. You know what they say…
        when you’re big you’re big…when you’re
        the ‘a real nigerian’ you’re irrelevant.”
        ^From Texas, to California, to Maryland/Virginia, please tell us more about how you’re better than everybody because you are “balling in America” and have Kenyan friends.
        How I wish you could see how incredibly stupid you look right now.

• Thatgidigirl January 27, 2016 at 8:51 am

I don’t know who stole some people’s biscuit here o! Somebody cannot just give their opinions and experiences without getting insults and sorry attempts at sarcasm?. Awon BN social ( read comment) climbers.

• californiabawlar January 27, 2016 at 8:53 am

Hahaha! I look stupid? hol up hol up hol up…are we self projecting now? okay beau…
        When you change your name to ‘The Uncouth Nigerian’, I’ll change mine to reflect my true location and baller status…till then we can all continue to play pretend…hmmkay?
        And just in case you were wondering, yup I think…scratch that, I know I’m better than you…if it hurts you precious heart, then do something about it…
        I also see you mentioned some American states there…now look who’s using style to show off? naughty naughty you!

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the most unsuccessful troll of them all?

• CovertNigerian January 27, 2016 at 6:13 am

This could be a story about a mother from anywhere that does not approve of her son’s fiance and a man that chooses to grab onto any excuse as a reason to wander.

• elsa gebrekrstos February 16, 2016 at 3:06 pm

am from asmara eritrea ….every one is talking about eritrea.who proved thise policy is applying in eritrea men should merry two women i can tell you to all of u its totally false and its shame to discus about false things as big things .so dont waste your time do your own business. its totally false no men forced to mery more than one women never ever never ever thats all

• Dami January 27, 2016 at 6:54 am

A beautiful Eritrean lady who is a medical doctor is happily married to a Yoruba man here in New England. Her parent of course wanted habesha man but it didn’t work out. I think it depends on how modern and open their parent are

• RIFF RAFF January 27, 2016 at 7:59 am

He he he, if their women were allowed to marry outsiders, trust my naija guys to be trooping over there. That would be the end of naija gal shakara. No competition here, Erithrean women fine die and i hear they are even more loyal than Ethio gals, muslim background maybe. But those women are beeeeeeautfiful, even more beautiful than Ethiopian babes.

• whocares January 27, 2016 at 11:22 am

@C-bawler: who is the most unsuccessful of them all killed me. really i am actually crying. And contacts in aramoko ekiti? Na you oooo. see international balling on a dangerous levu. Ki everybody gbo ri, and somu o cos ike ni imu o. lool… Just know i’m standing at the side with my baseball bat..

• Tosin January 29, 2016 at 9:49 am

Ekiti kete. Bawlar Eleniyan. Tosin eleniyan. Haa, Naija eleniyan.

Back to the matter, they really shouldn’t enforce such. No compulsion in religion, abi? Meanwhile the headline got lots of bros excited 🙂

• j’suis belle January 26, 2016 at 11:34 pm

omo this world is really coming to an end mariage now is by fire by force, and to two women, see wahala

• A Real Nigerian January 27, 2016 at 1:42 am

Nope, the world is not coming to an end anytime soon.

• ElessarisElendil January 27, 2016 at 2:57 am

How do you think polygamy originated in the first place?

Either most of the men died during a war or as in Africa were sold into slavery. So if the world didn’t end then, not going to end now. They need more men, makes complete sense.

Unless of course you’re volunteering to go fight for them when the Ethiopians inevitably invade to get their coast back.

• Uberhaute looks January 26, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Afi egghead naa…
    What happens to encouraging the women to give birth to more children? People recuperating from loss of loved ones would still be punished by their govt? O ga ju!

• A Real Nigerian January 27, 2016 at 1:36 am

Cue the large number of Nigerians who will start making tasteless, unfunny jokes out of this sad situation.
    Marriage and false, questionable religion is such a big deal for Africans. What a pity.

• Nwa nna January 27, 2016 at 3:17 am

I hereby renounce my naija citizenship and swear allegiance to Eritrea… Hence forth I will be known as Girma 😛

• Hawt Talk With Tosan January 27, 2016 at 3:31 am

This is every man’s dream! Especially if all parties are willing participants. If you think otherwise you are deceiving yaself. Lol

• PH Boy January 27, 2016 at 8:26 am

Every man’s dream ???? Dream alone!
      It’s hard enough to manage one talk less of two.

• Eritrea, here i come January 27, 2016 at 10:52 am

because you are broke!

• PH Boy January 27, 2016 at 1:33 pm

@Eritrea, here i come, make you go enjoy alone. You are obviously a learner; no amount of money will save you from 2 naija women in the same house. Am sure you’ll also like to add a couple of side chicks to the mix too. Na die be that!
        Oju kokoro na curse. Polygamists are known to die of heart related diseases.

• Feelitx January 27, 2016 at 5:29 am

Heading to Eritrea.

• Abdilnasir January 27, 2016 at 5:31 am

It’s the best idea for their prosperity especially in such situations instead of importing people from other countries since the majority speak Arabic have arab roots they’re are on the right direction. I have none may request to be considered

• Tony Jacksonn January 27, 2016 at 7:22 am

All people can see that the world is ending soon. Read between the lines of current events

• tg January 27, 2016 at 8:19 am

this article is written by – Nigerian while fantasising about Eritrean girls,
    dream on – , sociopathic

• lifeisbeautiful January 27, 2016 at 8:43 am

Boo yah! Good comeback.

• Eritrea, here i come January 27, 2016 at 9:17 am

Eritrea, here i come!

All these fake Lagos girls go cry tire with their single, independent, not searching, brainwashed ideologies.

Eritrea girls fine die, naija girls cant even stand beside them
    Hope it’s two at least? I can have as many as seven right? Yaay
    Biblical prophecy fulfilled in my own days- 7 ladies to one man

bye lagos girls

• Babe January 27, 2016 at 11:26 am

• Idomagirl January 27, 2016 at 10:25 pm

??? All of you talking about going to Eritrea, even if the gist is true, wouldn’t it apply only to their citizens? & what makes you think Eritrean chicks will even spare you a second glance?

• thavaseelan April 11, 2016 at 3:59 am

Join with me

• honest one January 27, 2016 at 9:52 am

Bella, Please can we have a dislike button…..there are a lot of comments that require that awesome button. Thanks in advance

• Anonymous January 27, 2016 at 10:39 am

No wonder you name is “Egg Head”..mtchewww…

• Big Tee January 27, 2016 at 11:37 am

Not a big deal for me really…..complaining will be like crying that you’ve been given extra portion of meat with your Sunday jolof rice, I usually hide the extra meat in my dish before someone change their mind and say Tee’s meat is too much ….(of course be ready to put in more work chewing your extra meat).

• tizreal January 27, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Dey shuld allow 9ja guys trope in n impregnate dia women free of charge. Dey shld jxt pay 4 transportatn. In d nxt 9 months dey wil b cryin 4 over population. I trust 9ja guys sharp shooters na so so twins dem go dy giv

• LBK January 27, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Its high time i acquired my citizenship in Eritrea ………………. Lol

• Puzzles January 27, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I don’t think you all understand the gravity of the situation.

Contrary to what you all believe, there are faithful Christian men who choose to marry and be faithful to one wife. A law like this (if it were true) is a direct attack on their faith and sentences them to jail for choosing to live by God’s commandment.

You all think it’s a joking matter, but it is not. This country has a history of abusing the human rights of people and even some religious groups are persecuted. If you don’t believe me, why don’t you read about “Eritrea” on Wikipedia, especially under the sub-headings “Human Rights” and “Religion”?

• eng Joseph January 27, 2016 at 4:45 pm

On my way

• eng Joseph January 27, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Where is my comment?

• KenyanLady January 28, 2016 at 6:45 am

Lol, our Kenyan men are queing at the Eritrean embassy for visas.

• Md. Sirajul Haque January 28, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I want to 2 marry Eritrean.

• george kwiah February 4, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I have always wanted to marry two women but women in my country don’t like that.

• Levi .C.D Hill February 8, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I will like to marry a woman from Eritrea ,But am I a Christian.

• Iorfa Saidu February 10, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Can they allow a christian to marry their muslim girls?

• Alibarba Alphat March 2, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I heard the news here in my country (uganda) and i became interested in going to eritrea to spend the rest of my life there….i want to start a new life with a eritrean woman & new family, am making money to work on my visa and passports. I WANT TO START A NEW LIFE IN ERITREA!

• ER July 5, 2016 at 6:24 am

This is all false and just a silly and stupid hoax by someone who has no life.
    Keep yourselves to yourselves you dirty -!