Adesua Etomi 1

Ever since she broke into Nollywood in 2014, Adesua Etomi has had to convince audiences via her performances that she was more than just a fine face. Fast forward to 2016, she has succeeded in winning popular opinion to her side as evidenced by her ‘best actress’ win at the recently held AMVCAs.

See her exclusive interview with Abisola Alawode of BellaNaija.com below.

On how she felt after winning “Best Actress”: I had an out of body experience. I can’t even really tell you what happened in that moment. My family recorded it, so even when I watched it the day after, it was as if it was the first time I was experiencing it. I know that I was shaking a lot. I know everyone around me was telling to get up as I was rooted to my seat after Dakore Akande called my name. I remember getting on stage and Ramsey Nouah telling me to breathe. I think I may also have been holding my breath. Now, having had a few days to process it all, what I feel is immense gratitude. I am deeply humbled and grateful to God and everyone who voted. Thank you.

On beating out big named actresses like Genevieve Nnaji and Nse Ikpe-Etim: “There is really no such thing as too new for God’s grace. If it wasn’t for God, hard work and if it wasn’t the right time, I would not have received the award.” She says.

Adesua Etomi

On people having doubts about her win: “I went to school for 5 years and I have Diplomas in Performing Arts, Musical Theatre and Physical Theatre and I have a degree in Drama and Performance. Before I made my professional debut with Knocking On Heaven’s Door in 2014, I had studied and worked myself to the bones for a chance to be an actor and to do this for the rest of my life. I am not here to dethrone anyone. I would never even succeed if I was to attempt it. Actors like Genevieve, Omotola, Rita, Nse and all those who have several years of experience over me in this business, actually started doing this way before I even had the courage to put myself out there and act professionally. They earned their place and no one can ever take it from them. There are roles that will go to some of them that I could never get, so it really breaks my heart that people would like to create controversy where there is none. I have worked hard and the people who voted for me worked even harder. So I refuse to let the sentiments of a few water down the Grace of God in my life. I have not had a chance to meet all of my more established colleagues, but i have met several and they have been nothing but nice and amazing to me.

On her new projects: I shot a film late last year which will be out sometime this year, i am not exactly sure when, but i am very excited about it. It is called ‘Ayamma: Music In The Forest’ and it is produced by Emem Isong. It also stars Majid Michel, Wale Ojo, Ime Bishop, Theresa Edem and a lot of amazing people. In a month or so, i start shooting Michelle Bello’s next project. It is titled ‘And The Spirit Slowly Dies’, it is an international project with a UK, South African and Nigerian arm and i am also super excited. There are a couple more projects in the works, but i cannot talk about them yet, but as soon as I can, BellaNaija will be the first to know.

Photo Credit: Aham Ibeleme

31 Comments on Exclusive: “What I feel is immense gratitude” – Adesua Etomi on her win at the 2016 AMVCAs
  • keke driver March 10, 2016 at 9:50 am

Whoever doubts Adesuwa’s win would have an issue with me o, have you guys watched “Knocking on heaven’s door”?? Please if you haven’t kindly help yourself…..This lady is one of the best i’ve seen in recent times, trust me……..#I wasn’t paid for this.

• George March 10, 2016 at 11:06 am

But u know a tif will never agree to stealing nah??? # not saying d paid u for it ohhh!!!

• damilola March 10, 2016 at 12:56 pm

A thief(referring to George) thinks everyone is a thief like him. Adesua, earned it. She’s a professionally trained actress and I will say shes one of the best new talent. She’s better than some of the older actresses. Experience doesnt take away true talent and hard work. From the interview, she’s a class act and humble.
        Congrats Adesua, keep shinning. It reminds me, people will question when God’s grace starts shinning in your life

• Cabrini March 10, 2016 at 12:55 pm

She’s what I’d call “beauty with brains “

• Wale March 10, 2016 at 9:51 am

Honestly, I think she earned that award may be not from vote but from her brilliant roles interpretations and honestly, comparing roles that others were nominated from, she outshone all! Well done sweetheart and I will never water down the grace of God over anyone!

• Ethel March 10, 2016 at 9:56 am

Do not mind the critics…………….u deserved the award. really loved your acting skill in “knocking on Heavens door”

• eneica March 10, 2016 at 9:58 am

Very brilliant response.

• Asake March 10, 2016 at 10:23 am

Knocking on Heaven door is your debut???? I cant believe it.. ..

Keep it up..

• nachi March 10, 2016 at 10:45 am

Congratulations dear

• oluwaseun funmi kelly March 10, 2016 at 10:46 am

she deserve it jooor….

• Ama March 10, 2016 at 10:56 am

I like the emphasis on God’s grace. I have seen Knocking on heaven’s door as well, she was brilliant

• Dex March 10, 2016 at 11:00 am

Love your acting,u told the story well for “knocking at heaven’s door”.

• Ohsee March 10, 2016 at 11:50 am

Make girl slim, fair, fine, kan dey talented. Her gap tooth, her smile. Her name sef sweet for ear, Adesua Etomi. Choi!!! God create sha!

• FT MOMMA March 10, 2016 at 12:17 pm

You deserved the award. Your acting is so refreshing. I rooted for you and was excited when you won. Congratulations beauty!

• prince March 10, 2016 at 12:29 pm

For me, AMVCA was the first place I heard of her and then on Banky’s song but in all congratulations. ask those critics if they vote?

• hery March 10, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Let’s all be happy for her, it’s only God knows if it by her role or by voting which I doubt, every one in that category did well in their roles, i saw falling, visit, Road to yesterday, Genevieve, gave outstanding performance, she brought out the “Victoria”character to life, the best she ever give after “keeping faith and also her fans went their way to vote, being the most loved celebrity in Africa, she controls her fan base, has the highest followers on instagram and Facebook. , all the best I’m sure something was not right, , anyway, iam happy for Adeswuwa ,

• Tunmi March 10, 2016 at 1:27 pm

She is a good actor. Don’t worry about the critics. For once have an interview where you only talk about the people who support you. Yes there are critics. There will always be critics, but to bypass the many who appreciate your work to focus on the non-constructive critics is hurtful to your fans. Let them talk, really. Unless you plan on talking about constructive criticism

• Fortune Da Function Guy March 10, 2016 at 1:57 pm

The babe fine sha…. Love her role in knocking on heaven’s door and Bank W made for u. She’s d next big thing.

• nnenne March 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm

That gown is everything!
    Congrats.

• Awesome March 10, 2016 at 2:36 pm

@Hery,… I feel like, liking your comment again… Every single statement you made represented my exact thoughts and position on this matter…
    Am really tired of discussing Adesuwa and her matter…
    Goodluck to her…!
    But AMVCA should take their time ! They shouldn’t stress us to vote next time , if at the end of the day, they will give it to whoever that pleases…. Coz my anger is not that Adesuwa won, I think she is Ok… I got to watch falling last night…. But my anger is the fact that they made me campaign & vote for Genny in vain…. AMVCA should take their time; I don talk am !
    Goodluck to Adesuwa !

• i no send March 10, 2016 at 4:08 pm

an actress that speaks well and i can interpret any role perfectly a welcome development….im not surprised that she’s a trained thespian you can see that she enjoys her job and thrives for perfection….i see brodway in her future….concentrate on your craft dear and sky will be your limit….i wish others will leave society functions and improve their craft also

• Tosin March 10, 2016 at 5:07 pm

omo!
    omo!
    OMO!

• Ivie March 10, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Havent seen this lady in a movie before sha.. All the same congrats!

• kkay March 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Congrats , Adesuwa. You deserve this award again and again!!!
    You are a brilliant actress.
    This is your time. Shine on , girl.
    AMVCA is viewers choice and you got the votes.
    Your talent doesn’t take anything away from Genny’s or Nse’s just like theirs do not take away from Liz Benson’s or Joke Silva’s.
    This goes to show that there’s growth in the industry with the new crop of very talented actors. Let’s not forget that , “THE YOUNG SHALL GROW”

• Nonamespls March 10, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Congrats Adesua . Looking forward to see you acheive greater heights

• Lizzie March 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Class Act always! You go girl.. This is just the beginning!!! ???

• GirlOnTop March 11, 2016 at 1:16 am

Her acting is effortless. Love, love, love her!

• Simi March 11, 2016 at 1:51 am

She deserves it ho-ha.
    If you ever saw her on stage, she is even better!!!
    Go girl!

• keechi March 12, 2016 at 2:00 pm

What a way to introduce yourself to Nollywood and it’s fans…with a BANG (with Knocking on Heaven’s door as her film dwbut…WHAT?!)!! I’ve said it and I’ll say it again, she’s currently one of my favorite actresses along with Ivie. Congratulations girl!!

• king March 19, 2016 at 9:51 pm

reading these comments i thinks its obvious u guys are just rooting for her cause she seems like a nice beautiful intelligent girl and an underdog not because you guys actually saw her new movie nd the rest of the movies on the list of nominees with her…just look at how everyone is saying “u were good at knocking on heavens door” like that is movie she was nominated for, na wa oo

• Doris April 10, 2016 at 4:34 pm

D best deserved, Wen u watch knocking on heavens door, falling, soldier’s story, Brave, den u won’t doubt her merit, even a bit of it