Oluwamayowa Ojumah

Oluwamayowa Ojumah

The story of Oluwamayo Ojumah is making rounds today and it is definitely an inspiring story.

She was one of the high-flying graduating students in the last convocation of the University of Lagos. She graduated with a CGPA of 4.51 but that is not the only thing inspiring about her story. She is a married woman who has had many failed attempts at studying medicine that took her from Ogun state, to the UK, and then to Okada in Edo state, before finally graduating with a First class from the Department of Biochemistry, University of Lagos.

In an interview with Saturday Vanguard, she narrated how she got into OOU, immediately after her secondary school education to study Applied Zoology.

According to her, she was to be transferred to Medicine if she performed well; but she was not because she couldn’t grasp the scope of the course. She left in her 200 level to the UK to study medicine but could not continue due to the financial strain it would have on her parents. Then, she and her parents agreed that she should come back to Nigeria.

In 2009, she got into Igbinedion University to study medicine but failed to pass the MBBS exams after siting twice for it. She had the option of repeating the class or going abroad again to study medicine but everything was thwarted when her mother passed on in March 2011.

Determined and relentless, she did the foundation programme in the University of Lagos, after which she was admitted through Direct Entry to 200 Level to study Biochemistry.

Speaking on how she was able to come out with a first class, she said, “I didn’t just depend on class notes. I used YouTube… I can read from 8pm – 6am. My husband was also very supportive because I used to watch movies a lot but he ensured that I did not fail to read… He would wake me up at night… to read…. In fact, I prayed like I was not reading, and read like I was not praying.”

Her husband, Felix Ojumah, a Petroleum Engineer, added, “We are happy that people who feel that they can’t make it would find it encouraging…. There is need for people to utilize any opportunity at their disposal to actualize their goal.”

There’s really no stopping a determined mind.

Source: Vanguard

29 Comments on Her Determination is Inspiring! This Nigerian Woman has Graduated with a First Class after Spending 16 Years in four Universities
  • fleur March 12, 2016 at 4:26 pm

First congrats. After making the rounds at different levels in different classrooms around the globe, you had no choice but to emerge an expert. Find your passion woman and you will excel without staying up all night. COngratulations. Question now is where can Biochemists find work besides the medical lab and the breweries? How are you planning to apply this degree? Again, dont forget that the essence of a first degree is to give you a badge of honor and some cred about knowledge. What you do with it is get in a door but ultimately, what happens to you next and forever depends on whether you find your niche. Keep your eyes open and dont get tied down to this I must be a medical scientist shit our parents sell us.

• keke driver March 12, 2016 at 4:33 pm

You can achieve ANYTHING…tHank you for ShaRing.

• Q March 12, 2016 at 4:36 pm

You go girl!!! More grease to you.

• Mrs Haastrup March 12, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Congrats

• ElessarisElendil March 12, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Osinachi!

Its never too late to get that degree, also puts into perspective the Nigerian craze over professional degrees.

No be by force to be lawyer, engineer or doctor.

• B&F March 12, 2016 at 9:06 pm

i WONDER. See her graduating at old age.
      There is also the discrimination you get from employers or with prospective business as a fresh graduate if you are over a certain age. the amount of time she spent running from pillar to post just to study medicine seemed to be a waste as she ended up not studying it.

Pls gone are the days where a medical doctor is ‘Lord’ of all professionals

• jhennique March 14, 2016 at 11:27 am

Hev you ever though that maybe that was her dream???
        I know a guy that tried 10 times to get into school to study medicine. He finally got in at the 1oth try and yes today he is an accomplished medical doctor and he prolly goes to bed with the satisfaction of pursuing his dream
        Never open your wide mouth to knock another man’s hustle. Thank God for them or move the hell on!

• Žainab Adeyemi March 12, 2016 at 5:11 pm

This is what happen when you marry your husband. Congratulation sister. May dis be d beginning of great things

• Bunmi Baby March 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Who else agrees that this would not have been the case with a non supportive partner. A partner goes a long way in the turn out of our life’s events even if not entirely. I’m so happy for her. She is living the plot of her own storyline. Each and every one of us has our own individual stories to live. Goodluck!

• miamia March 12, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Proud of her!!!!! RELENTLESS!!!

• X-Factor March 12, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Wow!!! Congratulations!!!

• Jess March 12, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Wow. Good for her.

naturalnimi.wordpress.com/2016/03/12/skentele-or-skontolo-double-gele-tutorial

• lami March 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Congrats to her, truely an inspriring story.

• sha March 12, 2016 at 7:37 pm

biko.. this shit no inspire me one bit. 16 years? four universities? first class? people get that within 5yrs in one university. it’s your story…but, its not inspiring. I feel you didn’t work hard enough…parent or no parent. haba! abeggii. I’m currently studying chemistry to graduate next year and I just started my first year in medicine. right now, I’m running two programs. but I’ll certainly graduate with a first class. it’s not easy. so, bn, warmup for my INSPIRING epistle very soon.

• ElessarisElendil March 13, 2016 at 6:46 am

The key to being inspired by stories is in the nuance, not the substance. Often the biggest problems people face are an unwillingness to change course in the face of disaster and losing their zest when faced with failure.

She overcame both and therein lies her inspiration.

Then again, you’re a science student they don’t teach you guys literary subtlety. ??Good luck and don’t let the stress burn you out.

• sha March 13, 2016 at 1:04 pm

yh…they didn’t. I’ve learnt something new. thanks for wishing me success.

• zarah baby loke loke March 13, 2016 at 7:31 am

To each his own.
      Eku orire

• jhennique March 14, 2016 at 11:29 am

I just hope you make that first class. Cos if not it will be such a shame.
      Dont let God teach you a lesson on humility

• kilipot March 12, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Woooow.

• obi March 12, 2016 at 8:44 pm

from the write up you should have graduated with more than 1st class.Only you waka go London comeback to Nigeria.Congrats anyway

• Asake March 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm

She must have supportive family and friends. Notwithstanding, congratulation

• kasy March 12, 2016 at 10:30 pm

congrats to her…

• kasy March 12, 2016 at 10:32 pm

at a time oooo 16 years in uni …nawa oooo no be today .she don become university her self na

• tamy March 12, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Congrats madam,ur perseverance is quite encouraging. But above all, God has blessed u with not just a good father (lyk my own :D) but also a good man for a husband who adopted ur dream as his and helped you achieve it. May u continue to be a source of encouragemnt n example to others n may u keep going higher,amen.

• Amaa March 13, 2016 at 12:51 am

Wow way to go girl

• spark March 13, 2016 at 2:17 pm

congratulations!!! though I did not get the moral of her story…

• Ebere March 13, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Determination leads to success……..

• Blessed March 13, 2016 at 8:36 pm