Mercy Aigbe-Gentry, the undoubtedly fashionable Yoruba movie actress has taken to her instagram account to call out lifestyle magazine, ThisDay Style, saying “they won’t want to stain their magazine with a ‘razz’, ‘local’ yoruba actor”

Mercy is from Edo State, however, she acts primarily in Yoruba movies.

Read the full post here.

Hey Fam….so I just came back from church and decided to check IG only for me to see plenty tags on a particular pix posted by @thisdaystyle …..I read pple’s comments asking why Mercy isn’t on the cover and at first I wanted to waka pass, but on a second thought I decided to talk about it, cos it’s been an issue dat has lingered for too long!…….I thought to myself why didn’t Mercy make the cover of @thisdaystyle best dressed list?…. Has @thisdaystyle ever featured a yoruba actor on their cover?………are yoruba movies not part of nollywood? … Nollywood not supposed to mean home grown Nigerian movies? …..hmmmmm I am very sure they didn’t coz, they won’t want to STAIN their cover with a ‘RAZZ’ ‘LOCAL’ yoruba actor!….Yes I am razz, Yes I am local and Yes I am a Yoruba actor!…..No I refuse to speak ur almighty English with fake British or American accent!….Because I’ll always remain true to myself!…I am ME ….Proud Benin Woman, Proud Ijesha’s wife and above all proud Nigerian. …And just in case e still dey be una like dream ‘LOCAL TI TAKE OVER’ ….????????????

A photo posted by Mercilicious (@mercyaigbegentry) on

Here’s the cover of Nollywood’s Best Dressed by ThisDay Style.

136 Comments on Mercy Aigbe-Gentry Calls Her Omission on ThisDay Style’s Best Dressed Cover a Bias Against Yoruba Actors
  • Lagos is my home March 20, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Yes she should have made this list ….but I think saying its anti yourba actress is a bit ridiculous

• Oppy March 20, 2016 at 6:04 pm

No its not. They are biased, it’s so obvious. If not why is there no single Yoruba or Hausa actors on that list. If it’s nollywood’s best dressed, she should be on it and if it’s everyday nollywood’s best dressed she should still be on the list. So what are we talking about??? We all know that they are always pushing the Yoruba and Hausa actors aside. It’s so unfair. We need to support one another, we are all Nigerians and we are one!

• Yewande March 20, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Omotola and Dolapo are from where exactly?

• nene March 20, 2016 at 9:19 pm

mercy is just making noise for nothing. she slated that day and should be on the cover but this day style puts pictures of their friends and “rich” celebrities and rich people. so i wouldn’t worry too much about it. some ppl shouldn’t even be on that front cover.

• Maverick March 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm

• temitope March 21, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I don’t think she’s making noise. If Thisday is biased then she is right

• jay March 21, 2016 at 8:36 am

”no I refuse to speak your almighty English with fake British or American accent” what is she saying please??? She sounds so pained! Pls don’t teach your children almighty English, let them speak Yoruba all their lives. Local ti take over indeed. Not everyone thinks you slayed that much. Your dress was fitting on you but your hair was horrible and your makeup, cakey. Look for how to win best actress and not best dressed!

• anon March 21, 2016 at 12:22 pm

You have no point…

• i am african March 22, 2016 at 9:32 am

are you for realllll!!! park well jay or whatever you are called

• Duchess Maria March 20, 2016 at 5:30 pm

She should take several seats.

• Zenny March 20, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Why did you want her to have several seat? Moreover, what she saying is the truth , we see the same things on This blog n other. Why do they have to label them Yoruba actor why not nollywood unlike the others on English sectors they label them as nollywood actors or actresses? This is the high time will talk about this.

• nene March 20, 2016 at 9:22 pm

this is an overall assessment, not just the AMVCAs. people should learn to read and UNDERSTAND

• Sultana March 20, 2016 at 5:33 pm

And Dakore made the list with that ensemble. Wow. Isn’t this subtle tribalism? Except if they can prove that Yoruba films are excluded from Bollywood?? Nonsense And ingredient! Love how you called them out Mercy! And you don’t need Ruth Osime or whoever the editor is to validate you. Keep doing you!

• Ada Nnewi March 20, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I don’t understand how Dolapo Oni made the cover. This Day and their misguided sense of elitism… SMH

• Ene March 20, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Hahahahaha.OC Ukeje,best dressed?

• Dollyp March 20, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Abi and he wasn’t even at the awards..

• Iphee March 20, 2016 at 9:11 pm

The cover says Nollywood best dressed ( Not only for the AMVCA’s).

Taking a cue from E’s Fashion Police ALL of them on the panel don’t always agree on a look as being the best dressed. This day style are entitled to their own opinion.

Mercy could have made her point in a subtle & classy way ( good manners never go out of style)

• Sultana March 20, 2016 at 5:36 pm

P.S. most Yoruba films make more sense than the rubbish English language films so people churn out with their contrived and misconstrued use of English. Nonsense And ingredient! I maintain.

• Angie March 20, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Please tell them.
      I stopped watching english movies a long time ago with their 6 parts.
      Yoruba movies keep on improving. I even understand some yoruba despite not being Nigerian.

• Author Unknown March 21, 2016 at 12:12 am

Yoruba movies and stage precede Nollywood. They’ve been around for ages. Because they primarily catered to a Yoruba understanding audience, they never quite grew in popularity outside of that demographic, though they were quality art and gained recognition. Come Nollywood, controlled primarily by Ibo marketers, but produced in English (not Igbo). Of much lower quality, but marketable to the whole country, and diaspora, because there was no language barrier. Yoruba movies were left no option but to be subtitled, but you all know how we don’t like to watch susbtitled movies. Yoruba subtitles na die though, LOL, but you have to understand Yoruba to get it. Maybe the problem is that Nollywood is a misnomer. We think it means Nigerian movies in its diversity, while the marketers erroneously believe it to belong to a particular ethnic group, and ;like everything else, we start to butt heads.

• Shobie March 21, 2016 at 6:40 pm

@Author Unknown, subtitles? don’t even go there! lol like my niece once said, l want to “marriage you…” I love Yoruba home movies sha. I have since stopped watching the Nollywood English home movies.

• Sheun March 21, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Soooooo true! I mainly watch Yoruba movies. The English ones makes my stomach churn.

• Ada March 20, 2016 at 5:37 pm

I thought aigbe is an edo or delta name. So where does yoruba actor come in? Or did she mean practitioners in the yoruba movie industry? Mercy stop being small minded and focus on bigger things. Being on a list of well dressed doesn’t make you a better person.
    As indie Arie sang in her song- Video “a woman is not what she wears, but what she knows”

• Jo March 20, 2016 at 7:06 pm

It has nothing to do with being small minded. Let her speak her mind. Sometimes you have to speak up against the things people deem “small” so when the so called “big” things do happen, you won’t miss out #letherbe

• Ruby March 21, 2016 at 8:44 am

Aunty you are the one who needs an education!! She meant Actors in the Yoruba movie sector of Nollywood. imagine Funke Akindele sef wasn’t on the list and she looked far better than Dakore.

• tamunotonye March 21, 2016 at 10:26 am

Don’t mind dem, that Dakore’s dress was horrible n ill fitting. Nde aruala, go on soun mercy omo oluwabi.

• Tosin March 20, 2016 at 5:40 pm

i don’t know her but do your work diligently you’ll get the best reward…forget all these soft-sell runs abeg. start your own magazine, MA.

• Tosin March 20, 2016 at 5:41 pm

or like they say,
    if you can’t join them, beat them 😀

• bruno March 20, 2016 at 5:43 pm

na so e pain u reach. so all these petty things like best dressed matters to u? u have very low self esteem and u seek validation. I pity u mercy. the funniest part is, I didnt even like ur amvca look. I saw bellanaija and other blogs praising ur look and I just shook my head. u looked like a drag queen. ur makeup was excessive, ur hair was unnecessarily big , ur gown was ok nothing special.silver is not my favourite colour for red carpet cause it photographs cheap.nothing fashion forward or innovative about ur look. I hated the transparent material on the top area of the dress. all together it was a drag queen look. plus the red clutch, I did not like.

imagine angelina jolie or lupita or beyonce coming out to rant and complain that she wasnt included on E fashion police best dress list.

well u called urself razz so I dont need to repeat it, u said it ur self.

• Ada Nnewi March 20, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Bruno, bruno… the sad thing about you is that you’re probably typing this your deranged comment from a 4 year old blackberry phone in a dingy room without air conditioning in a substandard house somewhere on the outskirts of Lagos….

• Anon today March 20, 2016 at 7:25 pm

… and Ada Nnewi is probably typing her cerebral comment from Samsung galaxy s7 edge, in the most luxurious apartment in Macau.

• bunmi March 20, 2016 at 10:32 pm

this was so unnecessary!!! u can put your point across without being insulting!!!!! like calm down its never that deep!!!!!!!!

• Bey March 20, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I often wonder why a lot of Nigerians always call “dresses” Gown.
      Don’t know why I don’t like that term “gown”. Find it abit dated.

• Ms Dee Pro TNS March 20, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Ur problem; U have the overwhelming urge to type out something so fast without necessarily understanding what you have read. That, and the fact that somewhere in ur head, u’re so deluded u think u’re EJ Johnson or something or one of those cute gay guys who know a lot about fashion/style. CLEARLY, Mercy was not seeking validation, she was talking about something deeper, something that if it wasn’t there, that magazine cover would have included her and the other people from the Yoruba arm of Nollywood that dressed well. And, she did look gorgeous, so yes, if someone obviously could not see that for some reason, she has every right to CORRECT them. Like bish please, I looked good, F you if you were too biased to see that! That said, I join Ada Nnewi in telling you to take ur old blackberry and go and have several seats.

• Olufunke March 21, 2016 at 10:34 am

God bless you for this Bruni. Mrs. Gentry, by all means rant all you want but this is ThisDay STYLE’s Judgement. So if you dont make the list go figure and stop this your smelly low self esteem rants. Go get help in the right places if you need to be recognized. Yourba nollyhood is doing good no doubt and i dont think Thisday Style’s summation was an industry biased thing but AMVCA RED CARPET BEST DRESSED! Chikena!!!

• anon March 21, 2016 at 12:29 pm

That she spoke out what she thinks means she has low self estem?
        Madam, read her post again…hmmm and then come back and retype your comment, its obvious you understand.. Ko yee yin all

• BB March 20, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Dunno about the general your actors’ snub….yes, her exclusion from this lost is daylight robbery

• BB March 20, 2016 at 5:43 pm

• Cmbo March 20, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Ridiculous is Mercy not being on that cover/list. She slayed it that night! Sometimes you just have to say it as it is. How could they. Nawa.

• beauty March 20, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Kinda agree, so much discrimination.

• Deep Soul March 20, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I’m glad you called yourself razz already.

The cover wasn’t about amvca but about best dressed actors generally. And even if it was, what right direction you have to demand that your picture be printed on a privately-owned magazine?

If you want to fight for something, do so with some class and dignity and while you’re at it, make it something more sensible and important……not dress sense! So shallow!

• Jo March 20, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Best dressed actors generally??? If that is the case,she should still be on that cover. I don’t see half of those on the cover bringing their A game everytime.. Doesn’t make any sense either way!!!!

• Deep Soul March 20, 2016 at 5:49 pm

*what right do you have

• Zenny March 20, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Let just say, at Thisday say best nollywood dress. Why not single person from the Yoruba sector on the list/cover? Please what is Nollywood stand for?

• Bellemoizelle March 20, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I do believe she is right tho…
    La vie est belle…

• nm March 20, 2016 at 5:53 pm

she sould definitely hv made that list

• March 20, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Like I said on my blog; I think she has a valid grievance, but it makes more sense to polish oneself than to sit in your small pond ranting LOCAL TI TAKE OVER. #RME. If you want to remain the razz local yoruba actress that’s fine, but don’t complain about not being recognized on a national platform.

• Californiabawlar March 20, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Please let her remain local in her craft. How does one even ‘tush up’ a Yoruba movie? Is it with all these hybrid movies they make now with half-Yoruba/half-English with h-factors and rolling Rs flying everywhere? ?
      But what’s wrong with being local? Why pander to the fakery that is Nollywood where because they’re trying to speak English half of them are so stiff because it doesn’t even come natural to them?
      My dear, you want to know why Mercy Johnson is popular? Because she mostly chooses local roles…you want to know why people still love Genevieve from Sharon Stone? Because it was a role were she wasn’t acting some stuck up stuffy lady speaking spree spree English.
      Look I watch a lot of Nigerian movies and you’d be surprised how a shitty actor actually becomes good when they get a villager role. Even in the Yoruba movies…the ‘Epic’ ones are wayyy better.

These women are getting better and better at what they do…my take is that they’ll be the first arm of the industry to truly go international…production and story-telling wise, they’re always a step ahead anyways. Case in point: Mainframe from back in the day and Tunji Afolayan now.

For those hard of understanding, it’s quite obvious that she wasn’t bothered by the list but the reason behind her exclusion.
      P.s. I think I wanted to get into the new Hausa movies on Irokotv, BNfam, any suggestions on good ones?

• nisa March 20, 2016 at 8:59 pm

gbam!!!!! you hit the nail on the head! i watch only yoruba movies now! and no i am from kaduna state and not yoruba! they are better actors! and their storylines are more realistic! i noticed yoruba and hausa actors and tv personalities are not recognized at all! only this fake accent speaking ones in this fake and flaky industry!

• Xtie March 20, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I can understand her pain, She trys so hard trying to look the best dressed Nollywood actress in Nigeria. Stop trying so hard madam. Must ur name be there.

• Jo March 20, 2016 at 7:16 pm

It has nothing to do with trying too hard. She dresses well Point Blank Period. You give honour to whom it is due and she does deserve to be on that cover.

• Ekene March 20, 2016 at 6:00 pm

She should take several seats. When did she start dressing ? She is not in Nollywood, she is in Yorubawood.

• Ada Nnewi March 20, 2016 at 6:30 pm

your comment is foolish…

• Dollyp March 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Yes..Ada.very foolish comment

• Jo March 20, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Such an ignorant filled talk! She has every right to talk

• nene March 20, 2016 at 9:04 pm

don’t mind her.

• mars March 20, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Very dull comment which one is yorubawood

• Titi March 21, 2016 at 12:27 am

You’re very dumb for ya comment Ode

• Wtf March 21, 2016 at 8:49 am

The fact that so many people agree with this comment is even more surprising. “Yorubawood”…really? We have reached the stage of being tribalistic with Nollywood ???
      Omo ale, alayini ironu. SHIOR

• anon March 21, 2016 at 12:26 pm

And you are in Igbohood i guess? Smh plenty!

• Fufufufu March 20, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Omotola, Dolapo and Richard Mofe are on the cover. Are they not Yoruba?

• Omolola March 20, 2016 at 6:22 pm

If you can jst read, then take a minute to digest it before commenting. She was referring to the bias against actors in Yoruba movies which is still a part of Nollywood. Her rant wasn’t based on tribe cos she ain’t Yoruba too.
      You can thank me later.

• Zenny March 20, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Thank you omola, some of this people are not reading what she wrote all at.

• Anu March 20, 2016 at 6:28 pm

ode they are english movie actors

• Tgirl March 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm

But are they Yoruba actors! Have you ever seen them in Yoruba movies?

• tamunotonye March 21, 2016 at 10:34 am

Fufu, she is talking about yoruba movie actors being discriminated.

• Mondela March 21, 2016 at 10:44 am

RMD is an itsekiri man from delta..not yoruba.

• temitope March 21, 2016 at 8:20 pm

They do not act Yoruba movies. Mind you RMD is not Yoruba

• Mr. Egghead March 20, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Where did Mercy Aigbe buy her inferiority complex from? I want to commend them for selling quality products.
    Lists are the exclusive preserve of those who make the lists. Everybody on the Thisday List deserved to be there. If Mercy didn’t make it, then she should tighten her bootstraps and keep walking with her head held high.
    The only thing she has confirmed is that she is razz and local. There was no Kannywood or Igbowood actress, does that mean there is discrimination against them. All these “them against us” is too much

Bish, abeg shift

• Jo March 20, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Oh please! I call bullshit on the rubbish you typed! What has that got to do with inferiority complex????? She said the truth. She was at that award, she was dressed better than all of those on that rubbish cover. The fact that they picked all ‘English actors’ on there shows a lot.

• Aina March 21, 2016 at 4:17 am

Lol jo not all Abeg Omosexy was not at the ward. But I agreeshe was dressed better than all that went and she deserved to be on the elitist cover. She didn’t put her point forward intelligently though. What’s local to take over! Leave slags like that for Olamide! Not ladylike at all and such a turnoff.

• Cutie March 22, 2016 at 12:38 am

I think if she has to literally SHOW it to us that she didn’t make the list, it smacks of inferiority complex and lack of class. Classy people would never notice and/SHOW such.
        Can you imagine Genevieve Nnaji whining about not making a “best-dressed” list?

• Cynical March 20, 2016 at 9:37 pm

@ mr. Egghead…..I totally agree with you. Lists are the exclusive preserve of whoever makes them for Gods sake,so why get your knickers in a twist. That is the person’s or the group of people’s opinion and they are certainly entitled to it. I personally didn’t like the hair she had that day, felt it was too big and it took away from the outfit. My dear Mercy,take a cue from Leonardo Di Caprio, do you to the best of your ability…….validation may not always follow.

• Amh March 21, 2016 at 2:42 am

You are wrong. There should be kannywood and igbowood stars as well.

• k March 20, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Just negodu her response. No wonder she did not make the list. Madam streets

• Olayemi March 20, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Excuse me! She is saying the truth!!!! She beat everyone in terms of looks that night and we all agreed even on this blog then. Why is she obviously ommited from the cover? Shame on Thisday Style. No one wants to work hard and not recognized, Haba!

• Fola Coco March 20, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I concur….I see nothing wrong in what she said, Mercy is a slayer any day anytime and she sure should be on the list. She’s definitely one of the best dressed yoruba actors. I believe when you say Nollywood it comprises Igbo/English genre,Hausa,and Yoruba.
    Just like Hollywood is white,african american,hispanic,latino etc in America.

• tolu March 20, 2016 at 6:32 pm

@fufu, rmd isnt yoruba firstl. Again this day was wrong with dis list without jim iyke, uti, chidi mokeme or because two of dem didnt attend amva cos dat was wia u lifted those pics. Jim iyke is naija best dressed entertainer. For those who knows fashion. Mercy aigbe shld be there, d lady has improved ova d yrs. Ojoro ti poju. Oc ukeje shldnt be dia at all. Wots dat ghanian guy doin up dia. Eh eh

• Precy March 20, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Can you people just put sentiment aside and state the obvious. mercy is one of the best dress actress in nollywood. Telling her to take several seat bcos u feel like comment o BN doesnt make sense. I always look out for Mercy and Rita D on red carpets.

• Nwa March 20, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Let this woman receive small sense. Looking beautiful and wearing good clothes doesn’t mean that every word that comes out of your mouth is valid.
    I don’t see any bias or tribalism here. Nollywood originally refers to Nigerian movies acted by English speaking actors. In recent years,other language movies like Hausa and Yoruba have struggled to be included under the nollywood umbrella.
    If This day wanted to recognize you,they will say Mercy Aigbe from the Yoruba movie industry.
    Nollywood is entirely different from Benin,Igbo,Yoruba and Hausa movie industry eventhough people call all of them nollywood.
    That is why Omotola will be described as a Nollywood actress of Yoruba ethnicity but one Jamila in Hausa industry will not be called a Nollywood actress till she crosses over into the main Nollywood industry.
    Pele! Receive sense!

• MiDe March 20, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Her look for the day was glamorous. I think she should have made the list.

• Lucinda March 20, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I think everyone is missing the point of this her mini rant. It’s not about the dress! It was never about the dress. It’s about inclusion. Many of you asking her to have several seats (btw, I hate that overused sentence) will come here to cry about black people being snubbed from the Oscars or how they put black face on a white model.
    By the way, English speaking nollywood films are razz. I haven’t watched any from beginning to end in over five years. Yoruba films, (apart from the gbagaun subtitles) are lit.

• Sommmie March 20, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Why will she mention because she is Yoruba it’s their magazine they choose what and who to publish and feature,any qualms now is tribalism,#biko Ka anyi Nnu nti Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder don’t forget to you,you are feeling number one but to the editors and crew you are not,so calm down and stop wishing try again next year! Ehen! Flashback to Leo DCaprio it took him how many nominations did he rant but finally he made it that shld inspire you.NB maybe the page is too small to contain everyone besides everyone looked best I don’t remember noticing worst at this #amvca2016

• sika March 20, 2016 at 7:51 pm

All i know is that genevieve and dolapo oni should not be on there. Omotola and rita dominic werent that great either. Mercy looked very good. I never knew who she was. never heard of her until the red carpet dress. That look made me ask who she was. That in my books is the effect a well dressed person has. She slayed, However, i dont think her inclusion had anything to do with being a yoruba actress or being razz. But what do i know?

• sika March 20, 2016 at 8:29 pm

her exclusion i meant

• anon March 21, 2016 at 12:23 am

excuse you, Rita was best dressed for a lot of people, myself included

• Skelewu March 21, 2016 at 4:24 am

Madam sika . Clean your eyes omotola was not at Amvca so what do you mean omotola and rita were not that great either. Obviously their list is not about attendees of Amvca . Best dressed nollywood stars period.

• Rike March 21, 2016 at 9:39 am

You are a pathetic LAIR!! you havn’t heard or Mercy Aigbe before? Oh please

• Niyoola March 20, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Didn’t even know Dolapo was a Nollywood actress. I’ve seen her in a couple of stage plays and Studio 53 ….. Thats all!
    Dankore’s dress looked like multi coloured tinfoil. I wonder why shes on their best dressed list.
    Geneveive’s dress didn’t wow me. I was udnerwhelmed, especially as she was nominated for at least 2 categories?

Mercy looked nice that night; many fashion critics praised her, so it’s surprising that shes not in this photo.

There has also always been this discrimination between Nollywood and Yoruba Movie actors. This cover sort of confirms that.
    Then again, should the editor have put Mercy on the cover even if she didn’t think she was best dress, just to appease everyone?

• Jasmine March 20, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Mercy rest plz. It’s not like the people on the list doesn’t deserve it.

• Annie March 20, 2016 at 8:06 pm

She is totally right and it’s very sad that in 2016 things like this still happen. Mercy slays all day everyday. To be fair that woman looks in everything she wears

• Apples March 20, 2016 at 8:06 pm

No need to Rant Mercy……we all know you is a slayer!!!!

• Spunky March 20, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I think they took cognizance of the fact she slayed that night. However, making it to the cover of most renowned magazine, home or abroad is often political and yes, biased. They’d rather identify with * tush, glorified and popular* persons being placed on the cover than accommodate the few famous ones from the local sector. Also, a lot of best dressed did not make it to the cover because it won’t accommodate everyone. Truth, she should’ve have massaged their ego some more with this rant. Move on dear.

• Cynical March 20, 2016 at 9:56 pm

@spunky,preach. Almost everything in life both here and abroad is political. Maybe thisday put more popular actors and actresses or even chose friends of the thisday family who knows. And seriously,not every thing is always a conspiracy……ohhhh,they didn’t choose me because of my color or because I’m Yoruba,let it stop abeg.

• Ajaskelebe! March 20, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Please bellanaija..can we start unloving some comments..with need an “unlove this”icon..
    I just can’t ignore some retarded double-figured loved comments anymore here!

• N March 20, 2016 at 8:51 pm

@Ekene Thank you! Things like this clearly show that Nigerians are very tribalistic.
    Mercy is not a nollywood actress,she is an actress from the Yoruba movie industry.
    Nollywood only applies to Nigerian movies of the English speaking industry. The other regional language movie sectors are under different umbrellas like Kannywood,igbo and yoruba movie industries.
    The same thing applies to Hollywood and Bollywood respectively. There are different regional movie industries in America which people call Hollywood out of ignorance. Just because you got a role in Tyler Perry movie(black American) doesn’t mean you are a full fledged Hollywood actor. You will not be nominated for an Oscar but there will be a category meant for regional actors.
    There is a reason why a Yoruba,Igbo and Benin movie will not be nominated as in the Category of Best Nollywood movie or Best African Movie at the AMAAs.
    There is also a reason why Mercy will not be featured as one of the best actresses or best dressed actress in nollywood along side Rita and Omotola.
    She is just an actress in a regional movie sector. If you want to be described as a nollywood actress then you must cross over. Funke Akindele, Shola Sobowale,Iyabo Ojo and Ali Nuhu etc crossed over and are celebrated as nollywood actors.
    She needs to stop ranting. Everything is not about Tribalism!

• Wtf March 21, 2016 at 8:58 am

Err, NO? Nollywood should cover every Nigerian movie category. What on earth are you people talking about? So because Americans are racist and foolish with their decision making, we must copy them too abi? Of course an AA will never be put on the same level as the white ones because Hollywood is full of bigots.
      But Nigerians, really? We are actually classifying “ethnic” movies under a different name? My head hurts honestly. I hope you know that to outsiders, every Nigerian film is a NOLLYWOOD film…who has time to be drawing family tree. Just making life unnecessary complicated. Wtaf

• N March 20, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Honestly,the least they can do is to write that Mercy was one of the best dressed actresses from the Yoruba movie industry. The same applies to anyone coming from the Igbo,Hausa and Benin industry.

• nene March 20, 2016 at 8:59 pm

yoruba actors are popular but no nationwide, only in lagos and yoruba states but english speaking hollywood is more popular both in and out of nigeria and amongst non nigerians. besides most yoruba actors don’t have their style game on most times.

• Ada March 20, 2016 at 8:59 pm

That one in the green dress baring al her worldly goods is there because ?

• esther March 20, 2016 at 9:01 pm

we all know the truth that mercy shld be there.

• Bb March 20, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Is not about the amvca red carpet.its about your dress sense over the years. Mercy Has not been consistent

• nene March 20, 2016 at 9:07 pm

also this day style puts their friends in their magazine so i don’t even think anyone should be offended if they don’t appear in the magazine

• Tkum March 20, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Even Fahlz da bad guy isnt there…wow

• Squad March 20, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Is it nt best dressed generally.. Yes mercy u re a slayer but i think u should focus on ur craft..grow. Let me tell u in nigeria..once u re famous and uve branded urself even list u re nt suppose to be… U go dey#fact! Lol i am an omotola stan to the core and tbh she dresses well but not that well but because she is omotola..she’s included in several lists same goes for genevieve nnaji. Lol mercy focus on other stuffs, grow and brand urself. If u like slay from now till tomorrow..u re nt bigger than the pple on that list. UR brand isnt big enuf to sell the magazine as those pple there.

• chroniclez March 20, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Perfect Answer! Thanks soooo much.i have searched for words to use.thanks.

• Haddy March 20, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Mercy mercy oh please you don’t buy class!!!

• funmology March 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm

just one question.. so Chris Attoh is now part of nollywood???

• Aquarian March 20, 2016 at 10:08 pm

It’s amusing how BN is causing a controversy here. Why didn’t BN include the fact that comments on @thisdaystyle (@thisdaystyle rarely has up to 20comments on posts but this post received over 800 comments) prompted Mercy to talk, the audience felt there was a bias because Mercy Aigbe, Funke Akindele and a couple of other actors weren’t there. Was Omotola actually at the AMVCA, I might be wrong but I don’t remember seeing her on the red carpet or at the event. Mercy calling herself razz is just been figurative, it’s unfortunate we are too quick to conclude illogically. You might understand better if you were in the industry, unfortunately the media especially blogs that are meant to paint stories as it is would rather ride on the sensational parts of the story to create more juice and generate comments/arguments, the world loves drama and hence they shall be served. At the end of the day, this won’t kuku affect the price of oil barrel or make ThisDay Style change the cover. It’s always business before anything. Aunty Mercy ndo and to my fellow BN community have a great week ahead.

• Amh March 20, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Is the Igbo film and Hausa film industry not part of nollywood. Why us the Igbo and Hausa actors and actresses not represented? Who are they ?. The Nigerian film industry should be regarded as one. English Yoruba Igbo and Hausa.. I wonder why we don’t see the Igbo actors and Hausa actor s in red carpet. They are a handful of Yoruba actors represented why? What us Yoruba actress? Should all the Igbo actresses Luke Genny and co be addressed as such?. As igbo? They are all actors. Simple. Enough of the silly mentality if not referring to Igbo and Hausa actors as Bollywood actors. Rubbish. Bruno . you a loser.

• bunmi March 20, 2016 at 10:36 pm

agreed she should have made the list but taking out the time to write up a whole post about it just shows you have self esteem issues. like pick your battles!!! how is being best dressed a priority!! shouldnt you focus on being best actress!! we all know you looked good..seems like the only person not sure of that fact is you!!!

• ‘Deola March 20, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I respectfully disagree on the point of self esteem issues. It helps if the folks at Thisday know they might have credibility issues if they are not inclusive going forward. Yoruba films seem more authentic to me than the English movies.. If there is anything touching on razz, I think the English movies should be graded as such. They are more pretentious.

• Deep Soul March 21, 2016 at 12:05 am

The point is that getting so worked up over a “best dressed” is downright petty. If she had ranted about her non-inclusion in Nollywood’s “best actresses” list, I’ll even understand more. This shows she seeks validation from public opinion for dressing of all possible things. Reeks of total low self esteem! Dress kwa? How unimportant!

• tolu March 21, 2016 at 12:38 am

Total rubbish list. All i care is to replace oc ukeje for jim iyke period. Mercy shld av used d word ‘razz’ u see u av named urself already? U av improved in ur drssing but ur level and those gals up there are nt same. Its all abt branding nt jst wot u wear. We r talking abt class here. Sorry maybe u shld start moving with any one of dem. Change ur friends

• Anon March 21, 2016 at 8:57 am

Mercy dresses better than all of them. She makes style crush every other week. And she is richer than most of them infact.

• anon March 21, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Just Sharrap!!

• mabel March 21, 2016 at 12:52 am

Your opinion not Thisday’s. This day and age where you find people going solo, you can be a magazine owner. The fact remains if she doesn’t cross over she’s not nollywood and can’t be called nollywood. Let her get it into her head. She can even do both which some of these actors and actresses do. Or was Omotola not in the movie ‘No rival’? Genny also in some strictly igbo movies, how about my cute Nuhu? Mercy you can be in both. If English is the problem, I can assure her that she’s far better than some nollywood actresses. So let her think about it instead of this rant because Thisday will not change to please one unhappy person.

• Peaches March 21, 2016 at 12:55 am

I actually think some other people deserved to be on the list too. For me, Mercy wasn’t the best dressed (though she did look very nice). However, if Rita Dominic, Omotola and Genevieve could make that list wearing those outfits, Mercy should definitely be there. She looked miles better than those women.

• Amy March 21, 2016 at 1:09 am

In my own opinion and I’m not hating, all these so called celebrities have metamorphosed into something else. Can we see what they all look like without the “temple hair ” and 10 pound makeup? I’m not a man but if I was I would want to know what my wife “really” looks like as opposed to what we daily see. Sometimes I wonder if they pass by a mirror and recognize their own faces, if I used to be ebony black and now I’m so fair skinned that Taylor Swift and I look like sisters, I don’t think I will recognize myself in the mirror.

My teenage daughter put an app on my phone and photoshopped me, when I saw the picture it didn’t look like me and I jokingly told her it’s not me at all.

A lot of the “designs” by some of our “designers” especially the evening gowns are on and Neiman Marcus. Com and They copy it and claim to be the designers. Please young lady, you don’t need to be on a list to be beautiful. God says everything he made is good. Be comfortable in your skin and don’t seek validation from a man made list. Our native clothing no longer show up on the red carpets in Naija… All hail the 51st state of the Union..

• clems March 21, 2016 at 1:58 am

My own point is dat. If dis magazine r 4 d best dressed in nolly wood 4 AMVCA Mercy should hv being included.. naija sha with beef. .Wats oni doing there. We don’t kn her as an actress nw, how many movies she don do..

• ANON March 21, 2016 at 2:06 am

Wait, so we have Yorubawood, igbowood and Hausawood? Lol, I can’t with some of these comments. They said nollywood’s best-dressed and they got Chris attoh on it? I’m sorry, are yall saying Yoruba movies are razz? I still need someone to properly define this razz word for me.

I’m glad mercy said something though her delivery could have been a little better. It’s about time we talked about this division in nollywood.

I thought Dolapo oni only did vlogs. She dey act movie?

Nigerians are divided and it took reading comments on blogs to realize that. I’ve noticed if it has to do with Yoruba people start throwing words like local and razz around and if it’s igbo then you start seeing cheap, fraud, yahoo….

Yall need to check yourselves. We are all Nigerians.

• Destiny March 21, 2016 at 5:59 am

Some people saying Nollywood is the English/Igbo sector only. OK O. Don’t forget the yorubas started and laid the foundation of theater in Nigeria though….
    The only thing and I repeat only thing that distinguishes an Yoruba movie from an English movie is the language not being as widely spoken (not the actors,not the storyline.) English is the world language. So, while a Kenyan or Haitian will watch a Nigerian English movie, they won’t glance at a yoruba movie.
    Stephanie Okereke shouldnt be on that cover, cos all she doesn’t is hit and miss, mostly the latter, while Mercy consistently SLAYS! – Whether native or English wears. Even her kids slay, so it’s not about being on this cover or her Working too hard as others have said. She has a great sense of style. Period.

• Oluwaseunfunmi March 21, 2016 at 10:32 am

I disagree on that, recent times, pple from all over the world now watch yoruba movies, gone are those days when d subtitles are horrible, go on irokotv , movie channels on YouTube n read d comment section, u find out non-Nigerians are actually interested in yoruba movies.

• IJS March 21, 2016 at 8:05 am

These comments today are written by thinking people but truth be told English movies cuts across all States in Nigeria. If I didn’t grow up in Lagos, I wouldn’t like youruba movies as much as I do. Most people in south south Nigeria Dont know mercy and you can’t blame this day for making a magazine with people everyone can identify. There’s politics in every career. if mercy sees a bias, she can go mainstream by doing English movies as well. Funke akindele is doing it and a couple of others too. Dont hate the players change the game.

• FinchleysFinest March 21, 2016 at 9:18 am

I am with Mercy on this…

• Martha Ako March 21, 2016 at 9:53 am

I second Mercy on this one. Why is Genevieve on the list? She didn’t slay at all. Where is Linda Ejiofor and the South African co host? This is so bias

• Oluwaseunfunmi March 21, 2016 at 10:29 am

I scrolled straight to the d comment section.. really? We all are different beings. Some comments u can really feel d hatred n bitterness while some saw it @ mercy’ point of view.. anyways aside mercy, funke akindele, toyin Aimaku, iyabo Ojo really looked nice that day.

• KRISSY March 21, 2016 at 11:08 am

And yet you typed all these in English and not Yoruba?

• TEM TEM March 21, 2016 at 11:43 am

I think you all should read n digest carefully to understand Mercy’s point of view, its not just about her being the best dressed at AMVCA but on the current happenings ……
    i feel Thisday style magazine was really biased with that cover page, they’ve always wanted to be in the good books of those actors (Sentiment things), what happened to the likes of Adesuwa Etomi, Linda ejiofor, funke akindele, Mercy Aigbe, Femi Adebayo, Falz……but they are not ” Big Fishes” so they cant grace your cover abi?… even Dolapo oni, wey no be actress dey there? Nawa for una…
    Am a daily reader of Thisday style ,i know they have credibility issues, cuz most of their contents n features at times get as e be…you dont have to be in everyone’s good books for your magazine to sell abeg. Your Intergrity matters, ”RUTH OSIME AND HER CREW should take note pls

• “changing moniker” March 21, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Nollywood isn’t just about acting in english. every Nigerian actor is a member of Nollywood. (check their organisation structure if you doubt it), but most of this so-called elitist organisations (yes, Thisday) choose to discriminate.
    Mercy Aigbe should have been on that cover page with the biggest picture sef.
    Her points are valid and not unimportant.
    what does Dolapo Oni act? one movie doesn’t make an actres biko.

• Viv March 21, 2016 at 3:22 pm

• Honeycrown March 21, 2016 at 3:23 pm

I came here to support my girl MAG after going to her IG page. She’s beautiful in every way and I love that she spoke her mind and truth. I don’t understand some very irrelevant comments here sef. The same people calling her razz can’t comprehend the point she’s trying to make. By the way, I’ve been watching only Yoruba movies for over 6 years because they are very entertaining and make so much sense. Nollywood should unite and stop all this jagbajantis abeg! This is why I have to take a break from BN; I’m a people person but BN folks keep ruining it. Headache causing confused bunch.

• Ms jazz March 21, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Hmmm na wa o. I think Mercy is a pretty decent actress and also a stylish celebrity however shouldn’t she be more concerned with getting accolades that celebrate her acting prowess rather than bothering with very irrelevant lists such as these?? Come on! Truly this is a very local way of thinking! Shior

• Sheun March 21, 2016 at 6:09 pm

• Sylva March 22, 2016 at 2:44 pm

How many Hausa and Igbos are featured there, if you are jealous of not being there good for you. but if you want to speak on neglect of Language Movie Actors that is understandable.

• moh March 28, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Seriously? NOLLYWOOD best dressed? & we have chris attoh n dolapo oni?. Really, I fink it shld be CELEBRITY best bressed*smiles, can’t jes stop laughing, wot a miss. Mercy I’m sooooo wif u grl,+u rock no matter wot dey say