Secondary School Girl Bruised by Teachers’ & Principal’s Beating

Anyalewechi Ogechi_Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary Grammar School 2A 14-year-old girl, Anyalewechi Ogechi at Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary Grammar School in Bariga, Lagos was heavily bruised by her teachers’ and principal’s beating.

Her back and buttocks were visibly red and swollen.

Punch reports,

The victim was said to have been punished after a prefect of the school, identified only as Zainab, complained to the principal that Ogechi returned a slap she gave her for “being rude”.

It was learnt that the principal and the teachers also took turns to slap the Senior Secondary School 2 student and also asked the prefect to slap her.

Ogechi was said to have been treated at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, after the floggings.

She told PUNCH Metro that her ordeal started after the prefect challenged her for not carrying a chair.

She said, “Last Wednesday, I got to school around 8am. I was asked to take some chairs from a class to a hall where a programme for principals and school teachers would hold later in the day.

“The prefect challenged me for not participating, but I explained that I was waiting for my turn to carry the chairs.

“She said I was rude to her and ordered me to kneel down. I refused and told her I was sick. She said if I didn’t obey her, she would slap me. I said I didn’t do anything wrong and she couldn’t slap me. She said if I repeated that she would do it, and I repeated it.

“She slapped me and out of annoyance, I returned the slap. She then went to report to the principal.”

It was learnt that the principal, identified as Mrs. Coker, summoned Ogechi and ordered her to kneel down.

The victim alleged that after the principal slapped her four times, other teachers present took turns to assault her as well.

“They called the prefect and asked her to slap me in their presence and she did that four times. A teacher, Mr. Balogun, ordered me to remove my tight and he flogged me on the buttocks.

“After this, I was asked to  sit for my exam in the vice principal’s office. When I was done, the principal gave the VP a letter, saying I should be made to cut some grass afterwards.”

It was gathered that although school closed officially at 3pm, the 14-year-old did not return home till 5pm.

She was said to have been taken to LASUTH, where she was treated and placed on  medication.

The ministry of Health and Lagos State government is currently investigating the case.

Source: Punch

38 Comments on Secondary School Girl Bruised by Teachers’ & Principal’s Beating
  • jide March 25, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Lmao. I just can’t with Nigeria. This happened and no arrests yet? Smh.

• nene March 25, 2016 at 6:30 pm

why????

• miamia March 25, 2016 at 6:40 pm

you guys are so LATE!!

• BellaNaija Weddings
      BellaNaija.com March 25, 2016 at 7:03 pm

It’s normal to miss news in the cycle. Now we have caught up, we will be updating you, dear reader, on the case.

For tips and news in the future, feel free to leave as a comment, tweet us @bellanaija, or email news@bellanaija.com.

Thanks!

• ATL’s finest March 25, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Lmao! Yes BN that’s how you respond 🙂 and as for that bruised up child hmmm. No arrest yet? What about the school? Why isn’t in flame yet? Cuz that’s exactly what I would ve done if that was my child & I will make sure those involved are burnt down too.

• Cindy March 25, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Am I surprised? No. Any bonfool of a teacher that touches my pikin, o ma sun ewon walahi! Yes, let me spoil my child. That one is my business not yours. I attended fggc akure and I am a testimony to the ridiculous reasons teachers beat or punish students. You will be a fool as a parent if they report your child to you and you go ahead to beat that child in their presence. Your child won’t know peace till she leaves that school. Those people can make a mountain out of molehill.

• Bitchplix March 25, 2016 at 7:57 pm

@Cindy, you do not have a life. We know your daddy is old and jobless. Your mama now picks the tab. You give out too much info on BN. Oginni.??!!?!!!!

• Adebimpe Popoola March 25, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Oh my God??? why would you insult her? She has said absolutely nothing wrong to warrant such an insult towards her parents. Please retrace your steps hun. Xo

• ElessarisElendil March 25, 2016 at 8:23 pm

No be fight nah.

• californiabawlar March 25, 2016 at 8:32 pm

wow!! You can’t be a good person….no way!

• bruno March 25, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I’m so glad someone has put this – called @cindy in her place. what a foolish somebody who goes about writing crap. me me me. we know u are angry go and punch a wall or something. always bragging about how dangerous u are.
        u sound like those kimd of babes that fight on the streets tearing their clothes. ewu

bellanaija if u like dont post my comment. this foolish girl has insulted me numerous times and I always ignore.

• Cindy March 25, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Oh my God! Who is this monitoring spirit? Anyway, your words would have pained me if I was ashamed of my fam but guess what, I’m not?? At least it is my details not yours, why e pain you reach this extent? And baby retired =/= jobless. Popman has paid his dues. Pay yours and stop being a hater.

• Layo March 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

I also attended Fggc akure but in the days of Ms. Sodehinde. She frowned against corporal punishment.

• Excessive March 26, 2016 at 11:09 pm

What!!!! Ms. S- was evil. Hers was worse than corporal punishment. she was principal in this day and age, she would have gone to jail. Imagine her asking 12 year olds apologizing to a plant for 12 hours because she ran her fingers through some flowers and they shed.

• ElessarisElendil March 25, 2016 at 8:30 pm

?????
    Ahh, but its normal nah. EEEYAH, poor prefect, endured from JSS1 to SS3, patiently waiting her turn to boss juniors, only to come and have one SS2 student refuse her simple orders, what was the poor girl to do??

Ahh, the senior even went to report to the principal, must be a girl’s thing, slap senior for boys school before their WAEC, hian you done die be that.

This is normal boarding school behaviour, even the beatings from the school staff for attempting to rebel against the system, but of course most of us will pretend here we all had perfect seniors and were perfect during our turn, right??

That this is sooo strange.??The Horror!! For shame.

• Marian March 25, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Na today? Glad it’s making news. Will forever remember miss buraihmoh for using skinny pankere to beat me at the back of my neck n legs. She made me crawl from ss1 block all the way to the ss2 building about 3 times on top say I didn’t come to school on a Saturday. Told her my family was in Lagos for a visa interview. Was I supposed to call the embassy to reschedule bcuz ms buraihmoh wanted us to come to school on a Saturday all bcuz she was not able to finish the syllabus and the term was about to end. Sharrout to the nonsense economics teacher that punished me also. He called me out of biology class to go and pull weed, wash toilet and one other thing I can’t remember. I was like excuse me sir, you are not even my teacher what did I do? He didn’t answer. Other teachers came to beg him on my behalf but the guy no gree. I was just confused like what the heck? This guy doesn’t even teach my class. After I don suffer finish (missed about 2 classes) that day my friend who was punished along with me now open mouth to tell me what happened. Mehn, I wanted to choke her. Apparently another girl in my class with the girl I was punished with were in the same bus with the teacher and they didn’t greet him.

Teachers in naija have been abusing their power since.

• Lucinda March 25, 2016 at 8:45 pm

I’d be happy if this case is blown up to the national assembly. Most of us suffered more from teachers and so called prefects in school. One time I limped for a week after frog jump sessions. Camp commandants should also be stopped from physically punishing corps members. I’m not saying punishments should stop but there should be some kind of restrictions on physical harm. Like: students should be stopped from punishing other students, only caning on the palms. Small stick, etc. Looks like they used a baseball bat on that girls back.

• Diesel March 25, 2016 at 8:45 pm

May be purnishment & suspension could have been better, she was dam rude. How can u not obey your school prefect , and again what kind of a school allows student slapping one another. Everything is upside down this day self.

• Cheezy March 25, 2016 at 9:10 pm

The principal and teachers went too far. Infact they committed crimes. (Child abuse ).They should be arrested and prosecuted . Punishment for an erring child shouldn’t be brutal and vindictive and in this case ,it was.

• Oluwakemi March 25, 2016 at 10:16 pm

So Agreed the scars on her body look sooo terrible.
    If you went to a boarding school back in the day, this is child’s play, a senior punishes you, you report and she comes back from her punishment and still faces you. #storyforanotherday
    Things have changed now, but then the girl said she was not feeling fine, what happened to fainting the moment you got d slap, just pretend like you out for a while but no…she got the strength to slap her back, what happened to going to report this senior…nope she just had to slap her back, senior no fit slap me…….

I think this girl is actually a rude student from d gekko and she must have been known by teachers and principals as been rude to seniors and or teachers.
    Anyways that’s just my own opinion. Let the insults roll in…..

• Miss Geneva of Lagos March 25, 2016 at 10:23 pm

You wish people had the time to face you and insult you. Everybody please ignore Kemi her comments. If anything, it’s Good Friday. Please guys, totally not worth it

• Chi March 26, 2016 at 8:00 am

I was going to reply her but you just saved me the stress.

• tanwa May 29, 2016 at 9:25 am

you need to go back to school or rather read about the child right act 2003. thank you.

• Miss Geneva of Lagos March 25, 2016 at 10:24 pm

*Kemi and her comments

• Oluwakemi March 25, 2016 at 10:35 pm

@missgenevaoflagos …what a name ??????????? love you too darling

• Natu March 25, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I now understand why physical abuse is such a common occurrence in Africa. Why must you beat an individual in order for you to dicipline them. What happened to grounding, suspension and detention. Those forms of punishments were quite effective in my school. The point is, you do not need to physically harm a student in order to prove a point.

• Tosin March 26, 2016 at 4:06 am

unbelievable value system

• Chi March 26, 2016 at 8:03 am

I have been married for 10yrs without a child. And to think that when God blesses me with one-one loser teacher would do this to my child all in the name of discipline? I will bite off your hands then use my last penny to throw you in jail. Rubbish!!!!

• Ada Nnewi March 26, 2016 at 11:17 am

God will bless your womb with children.. as many as you want…you will carry your own child by this time next year..in Jesus Name, Amen.

• Anon March 27, 2016 at 12:39 pm

May God open your womb and bless you with His children IJN, Amen. Choose a color!

• Ada March 26, 2016 at 9:50 am

She slapped back…. She should have carried the seat and not slapped back. Shey we all went to boarding school? You don’t hit back. Carrying seat isn’t even a big deal. Granted, the teachers went way too far but this girl set the ball rolling. While we caution the teachers for going too far, this babe should be advised. Our actions trigger reactions. Not all of them will be favourable.

• mabel March 26, 2016 at 4:47 pm

No the senior had no right to slap her. Imagine ss3 to an ss2 student. Why such itchy hand? Slapping someone is an abuse pure and simple. Especially in school for God’s sake. Anyway, all these nonsense can only happen in government schools.

• The real D March 26, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I can not wrap my head around those justifying this whole ordeal by saying the girl was/is rude. Or because it was acceptable when you went to school that makes it ok. If that’s the case, we can then conclude that stealing funds by those in position of power is ok, since this has been done since I don’t even know when.
    Refusing to be intimidated by another does not equal being rude, We need to get rid of this mentality that being older or being in a position of authority automatically GIVES you respect. NO!!!! Respect is earned!!! NOT bestowed as a birth right and one does not earn respect by abusing a position of authority. The prefect abused her title or position first by even thinking it is ok to lay her hands on the young lady (that is harassment). And for those believing this lass’ retaliation equals being rude i have to say I disagree (she acted in self defense) because if that’s the case we should quit complaining about police brutality since your reasoning is that once one is in a position of authority then it is ok for them to result to physical violence whenever the mood suits. We should then stop “smhing ” and complaining when our senators come to blows and it makes news since we seem to believe brutality and acts of violence should be embraced since they have been going on in our schools and communities since secondary schools were established in our country.
    My point being, if we are going to see a change in our country, in our government it has to begin with a change in our mentality, I mean this prefect has adults both in the school and even on social media telling her it is ok to slap another because she has a title and then expect that this girl will not grow up believing it is ok to slap, insult those under her once she is a senator, manager or slap her house help, driver or gate man someday. I mean since this too has been the norm in most homes/cases and “no be today” and that makes it ok. Right??? We want change??? It is not going to come from Buhari and his cronies but from you and me from changing the way we think and raise our kids because we can’t teach them that it is ok to act like an animal and expect them to suddenly reach age 20 andstart acting exhibiting human behaviors. Tarzan no fit do am and that’s a fictional character.

• #stopstupidity2k16 March 27, 2016 at 2:45 am

Why doesn’t this have more upvotes? I’m with you, fam. People like that prefect will grow up thinking they have a right to abuse other human beings. Abusive and inhumane bosses/’Lagos Big Madams’ are born like this. The poor child. As for the male teacher that told this girl to take off her tights so he could flog her buttocks… Maybe I’m dreaming, but where I live that is SEXUAL ABUSE. Mrs Coker and her stupid minions should be arrested, and Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary Grammar School investigated because abuse does not occur in a vacuum. I hope that child is not scarred for life. God help Nigeria.

• ify March 26, 2016 at 6:20 pm

This is sad, reminds me of when I was in SS1. My economics teacher was in a bad mood and thought my friends and I were making fun of her. Called us out gave them 6 strokes each and me 24 strokes, Why? Cuz I refused to cry. She skipped school for 2 weeks cuz she knew my parents would be out for her. I still have the scars from the flogging.

• Spize March 26, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Words cannot express d beating some us got back in da day…Lol.

• Mr. Balogun is a Sex Offender March 27, 2016 at 2:51 am

Mr. Balogun of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary Grammar School is a child sex offender and should be investigated as such. & Mrs. Coker, you will get what is coming to you. disgusting animals.

• Amah March 31, 2016 at 3:48 pm