News

Oluchi, 9ice, Cobhams, Dbanj, TY Bello, Others Make the Nominees List for The Future Awards 2009!

BellaNaija.com

The nominees for the Future Awards 2009 have been announced! Did you make the list? Check it out below.

NOMINEES LONG LIST

(THE FUTURE AWARDS 2009)

On-Air Personality of the Year (Radio)

Phoenix (Rhythm Lagos)

Tito Otons (Raypower Lagos)

Tyeng Gyang (Cool FM Abuja)

Douglas Nwokocha (Rhythm Abuja)

Yaw & Matse (Wazobia FM Lagos)

Wildchild (Rhythm FM Lagos)

Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi (Cool FM Lagos)

Chuks Roberts (Cosmo FM Enugu)

Best Use of Technology

The Applause

234

Déjà vu

Trace

Acada

Style Entrepreneur of the Year

Dumebi Agbakoba (Dakou Collections)

Funke Adegbola (Ella Brown Couture)

Korede Roberts (Fusion)

Uche Nnaji (Ouch!)

Ebubedike Mary (West n Couture)

Yewande Perigrino (Beyond Faces)

Olamide Ajayi (Iconola)

Linda Ikeji (Blackdove Communications)

Comedian of the Year

Jedidiah

Wale Gates

Teju Babyface

Princess

Tunde Ednut

Seyi Law

Omobaba

Holly Mallam

Business Owner of the Year

Mosunmola Umoru (Honeysuckles PTL)

Tochukwu Onyemelukwe (Cotek)

Alexander Yangs (Testify Music)

Debola Lewis (Yvent Couture)

Ibidun Ighodalo (Elizabeth R)

Funke Awobokun (Cocktails In & Out)

Hassan Rilwan (Focal Point Publishing Ltd)

Anita Ibru (Minerva)

Professional of the Year

Kolawole Osinowo (Nokia West Africa)

Oluyemi Oluwole (Chevron Corporation)

Shile Obiesan (Consolidated Media Associates)

Dr. Dayo Osholowu (Special Olympics Nigeria)

Uche Okorji (Utchay Okorji Associates)

Fatima Mohammed (Chapel Hill and Dunham)

Fola Aiyesimoju (Stanbic Bank)

Carrena Sola (Travant)

Model of the Year

Bryan Okpara

Warebi Martha

Bisi Rahman

Bisi Sowemimo

Amaka Chirah

Isi Atagamen

Owobo Ogunlaja

Olubunmi Ademokoya

Team of the Year

Blue Labs Technologies

DNMT (Dance Na De Main Thing)

Four Kornerz

Babs Educational Consult

The UnRulies

Javabean Ltd

Knighthouse

Mo Hits Crew

Journalist of the Year

Rachel Ogbu (Newswatch)

Samuel Olatunji (The Sun)

Azuh Amatus (The Sun)

Arukaino Umukoro (National Standard)

Blessing Ogunli (TheNEWS)

Abdulkareem Baba Aminu (Daily Trust)

Ruonah Agbroko (Thisday)

Funke Adetutu (BusinessDay)

On-Air Personality of the Year (TV)

Onyinye Igwe (Soundcity)

Tana Egbo (Channel O)

Lamide Akintobi )(Channels TV)

Dayo Ephraim (Hip TV)

Blaze (Nigezie)

Adaure Achumba (STV)

Jimmie Akinsola (The Best of Football)

Jumoke Alao (AIT)

Kafilat Shafaru

Onyekachi Okengwu

Wale Akinbola Sodade

Jennifer Ogbor

Bimbo Obafunwa

Buddy Agedah

Flex (Nonso Cajetan Asobe)

Young Person of the Year

Bukola Elemide (Asa)

Toyin Bello

Yagazie Chukwumerije

Louise Priddy

Oluchi Orlandi

Don Jazzy (Michael Ajere)

Cobhams Asuquo

Funke Bucknor-Obruthe

1. Tobi

December 2, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Congratulations to all the nominees! In the future (pun unintended), it’d be great to read short blurbs or see short video clips that describe who these people are, what they do, and why they made the long-list. Aside from the fact that I see many, many unfamiliar names, this could also give the rest of us something to aspire to. Also, we’ve seen some of the same names year in, year out. I’m sure their nominations are well-deserved but it’d be great to see some more variety from around Nigeria and the diaspora. I like the emphasis on the arts (fashion, music, dance) but an award like “dancer of the year” has a very slum book feel to it, lol. Another name, perhaps? Performance Artists Of The Year, maybe? It just makes it that much more of a big deal, I think. And what does “team of the year” entail? For instance, I’ve heard about the UnRulies and I’ve heard about some of their events. I’ve also heard of the Mo’ Hits Crew but why do either of them and the other nominees in this category deserve a special nomination other than for being a “team”? I have to be missing something, and I hope I am…so if anyone knows more than I do, I would appreciate some insight. Now, I’m by no means picking on The UnRulies and the Mo’Hits Crew, I’m just using them as examples because they’re the only familiar names in that section. I understand that the awards are trying to be more inclusive and now include more categories but there’s also a sense in which they run the risk of being trivialized. It’s a thin line before there are award categories for most hilarious blogger of the year, best dressed of the year, and best club for young people. With all that said, congratulations to The Future Awards team for taking the initiative and for rallying your resources around this very noble cause. Bigger and better things, by the grace of God.

2. Tobi

December 2, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Speaking of other award categories, I think it’d be tonnes of fun if we had “alternative” award shows as well to celebrate people, places, and things that have become part of our pop culture e.g. best places to eat, best places to shop, best bloggers, best fashion brand, etc. Lol. I’m actually being serious!!! Fuuuuuun times!

3. Ladi

December 3, 2008 at 2:47 am

Dancer and Model of the year???? Have issues with those categories we could as well give teacher of the year, banker, lawyer, engineer, mechanic…the list goes on….Sorry, I wish there were better ways of categorizing. If they genealized “Professional of the year” why do Models and dancers have two separate categories?

4. anonymous

December 3, 2008 at 8:00 am

cant wait

5. Rollin'dice

December 3, 2008 at 11:01 am

That’s cool.i can wait d day, but what about best ragge artist of d year.or don’t they ‘ve nominees. I think i can still recomend ruffman. This guy has bn doing great in ragge music and no one seem to recorganise him. I mean that guy is powerful.He was one time Question mark ragge artist.Name streetmonk

6. Chude

December 3, 2008 at 11:32 am

@Tobi

You are mostly right. Dancer of the Year does have that slum book feel, but that’s what these people are – dancers; that’s their profession – its honourable so there should be no running away from the name. And yes, there will be a short blurb on each other winners soon on the awards website; in a matter of days in fact. Also before the Awards in January we will have comrehensive details on their nominations on the site.

And yeah we’ve seen some of the same names year in year out because they continue to keep up the tempo of their achievements, but more than 50% of the names on that list are new, and its a very well rounded list with nominations from the Diaspora and from outside of Lagos and Abuja; if you go thorugh it slowly again you’d notice. There were town hall meetings in 6 states and in the UK, and the list reflects all that hard work.

Thanks a lot for your comment!!!

7. BN FAN

December 3, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Future awards, come on! If you guys want to keep being taken seriously you have to watch your nominations. I love Fatima Mohammed, personally as well as professionally but professional of the year? HOW? Out of the thousands of under 30 professionals? She stands out how? Also, Anita and Minerva? What has Minerva done that is so stunning? I am beginning to suspect that you guys use this as a PR stunt for people you know. Not good at all. I saw Fati’s name and almost chocked, what criteria do you use for professional of the year? Do you need nominations? Do you need help? Not good AT ALL. There are a LOT of professionals under 30 doing major major things. Fati is an account executive at Chapel Hill and?? Stop it, seriously!

By the way, Fati I love you, just incase you read this but come on, you will deserve it soon but not now. Except I’m missing something. This is not beef at all, I just think the criteria used for the nominations shift depending on the category.

Otherwise, good job future planners.

8. BN FAN

December 3, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Otherwise, good job future planners.

Otherwise, good job future planners.

9. toyin

December 3, 2008 at 2:55 pm

BN fan, 1. If indeed you know “thousands of under 30 professionals” did you nominate any?
    2. Are you by any means saying that just because she is an Accounts Executive it is not possible that the person who nominated her (me, in case you are wondering) found anything disctinctive that she has done? Or would you be her line manager in her organisation so you have some information that so assures you thatr she has no achievements under her belt?
    3) Do you think finding a problem with one nomination out of 150 is enough for you to start accusing these young people of ‘PR stunts’??

Cheers!

10. ski lala

December 3, 2008 at 5:01 pm

my own is dat u pple should vote knight house, cobhams and phoenix… daz my own..

11. ski lala

December 3, 2008 at 5:04 pm

d list is repetitive tho..common ther are lots of pple doing so much they sef they need a chance. you cant keep using very established people to monopolise the categories. but i guess there is a need for high profile names or else no one would giv a toss reallyyy

12. beeztick

December 3, 2008 at 5:25 pm

some of the categories are just somehow!!!please how do you choose professional of the year in a whole country!!!did they go to their wrk places to find out about them…or are they professionals that we see their pictures in every magazine all around town? mo sorry gan o but the categories are damn right childish!!

13. beeztick

December 3, 2008 at 5:26 pm

lol!!!i just saw dancer of the year!LMAO!!r they serious?

14. lagbaja

December 3, 2008 at 5:47 pm

let me see if i made the list!yeah right!as if….i thought Don jazzy’s last name was Enebeli and not Ajere who knows?

15. toyin

December 3, 2008 at 6:00 pm

okay at this rate these future peeps would havta pay me for pr but beetznik,
    people like you irritate the hell out of me; i wont even refer to your comment about the professional category cos i think anyone can see ure not making sense. But for dancer of the year; whats your point exactly? if like they say, a person’s profession is dancing and the person is called a dancer what would you rather call the name of the category? SHould people now be ashamed that they will be ridiculed if they are refereed to as dancers? Hiss!

16. Beeztick

December 4, 2008 at 2:59 am

Lol!!Toyin!!ha!ha!!!chopping panadol for another person’s headache…this one that you are vehemently protesting against comments that dont sit well with you!!!Pls is not that serious ehn!!!people have different opinions….my dear take heart….LMAO

17. Ladi

December 4, 2008 at 8:00 am

Then why can’t there be banker of the year, teacher of the year, youth corper of the year, chef of the year…..the list goes on…If dancer has to be there then break up professional of the year into its 100 individual professional segments. The future awards would run all day.

Good job sha.

18. NaijaPerson

December 4, 2008 at 12:04 pm

This an entertainment-related website, so it’s content naturally would reflect that. I don’t think bellaNaija would be concerned with an award ceremony for bankers, engineers etc., and I’m sure there are other award ceremonies that cover categories like that.

Having said that, I’m really concerned about the direction that the Nigerian youth is taking. Everything seems to be about entertainment and leisure! It’s being over-glamourized and the Nigerian youth is being seduced (this is exactly what the white man wants). Contrast this with youths in India for example. They have a robust entertainment industry (Bollywood etc.), but they are still breaking records in science, technology and business. International companies are even recruiting directly from there. The boom in entertainment in Nigeria would probably fade away (when the oil boom goes), just as the last one did in the ’70s and early ’80s (go and find out). Wetin we go come do then? Another repeat of the late ’80s and ’90s?

19. BN FAN

December 4, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Toyin you nominated her and? You still didn’t answer the question. So every good account executive should be nominated? Because their line managers think so? WHAT ARE YOU CHATTING? Please don’t bring personal bias into this. Do you know what it means to be professional of the year in a country of 200 million? Are you kidding? And so because people nominated them the Future Awards group couldn’t vet the nominations? Don’t piss me off…thanks!

20. BN FAN

December 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Oh and Tosin, I notice you didn’t say anything about my Minerva comment, so you’re just concerned about defending your nomination instead of thinking my comment through? By any standard, the nomination process for these awards needs serious work if the awards are to be taken seriously ten years from now.

21. BN FAN

December 4, 2008 at 1:34 pm

And how many votes are needed for nominations? I would love to know cause I smell a STINKY fish.

22. BN FAN

December 4, 2008 at 1:41 pm

On a serious note, good luck to all the nominees, there is no beef. I just feel the bar should be set really high and clearly defined so that there are no room for raised eyebrows or questions. Good job Fati, you must be really good at your job. Now let’s talk about something serious like world peace!!!

23. tatafo!

December 4, 2008 at 2:32 pm

ah ah that’s not true, off the top of my head there is the Harvard Africa Business Conference (run by Nigerians), NiPro http://www.niproevents.com/ to name a few.

24. abeg toyin dont eat me for this comment

December 4, 2008 at 6:21 pm

future award comes again!nice
    but please why are the unrulies here?what is it that they do?i only knew abt them through the little cute one’s blog (tosin),and I have seen pics on facebook of them partying and all that
    ?????
    but big up to the organizers of this awards sa!its not easy sa especially as you just started barely two years ago!there is room for improvement
    i guess it must annoy you that we all offer our opinion and belittle the hard work you guys have done?
    its not like that , if people are talking then it means you are been noticed, and then people will have their own opinions if you make yourself public.
    anyhoo,goodluck to all the dancers,singers and professionals and what have you.

25. Chude

December 4, 2008 at 8:14 pm

@abeg Toyin,
    Just thought to quickly say that whilst we really appreciate Toyin speaking up because she believes in what we are doing, that she is actually not an official of the awards. We do not engage people who criticise the process; if we did we’d not have time for anything else. This is a massive national project and so we understand that even though the majority keys into it, there will be people who will have reservations. We take note, we incorporate what we can use and we continue to do what has to be done.

That having been said, before the awards in January, short profiles on these nominees will be published on the site just like we do every year. Thanks for the comments!

26. Nene

December 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm

@ naijaperson
    …not true oh. plenty of us dey…in medicine and business and science and even in philantropy. we see the needs of our country and are getting the correct education and training needed to bring in infrastructure that will last…key word: LAST!
    no gra gra. small small. entertainment is booming and more than just seducing, i think it is something of pride that the youth can hold on to while they continue their struggle and believe in the seemingly impossible. i know i feeel proud of my people and my generation even with the little we’ve accomplished in entertainment. there’s still alot of work to do. but at least i can sing along to 2face’s “for instance” and pump my fist when i match to aso rock with my credentials and demand change. e go come. :-). small small.

27. Nene

December 4, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Yagazie Chukwumerije for person of the year!!!! were do i vote?
    🙂

28. C

December 5, 2008 at 7:07 pm

29. somebody

December 8, 2008 at 10:51 am

I said this before and i’ll say this again this future award thing is nothing more than a popularity contest and PR promo for friends of the future award. There are LOADS of young Nigerians both in Nigeria and diaspora doing great things for their countries and not being recognized. What in the world do the unrulies do apart from throw parties every now and then? and thats who/what we want our youths to emulate?? SHAME i say.

Like Tobi said, lets see a video clip of these people nominated so we can understand why they were nominated. BN fan, couldn’t agree with you more

30. seun

December 8, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Somebody
    \
    You are ignorant, thats all. I have been reading the debate here and thought it was generallt healthy until you jumped in! Last two years I was nominated for the future awards from nowhere; i didnt know any of the organisers, didnt move in their circles and I won. I was schocked. Since then I have had nothing but respect for the organisers and it has changed my life.

I have looked thorugh the list this year and i know these guys and am yet to see this their of friends that you profess. Like last year, many of them are from far flung places in the east, north and outside naija. So i wonder what exactly you are talking about?

The organisers say on their facebook group that they will publish all profiles befoere the awards. Plus this award is judged by very credibnle Nigewrians like Reuben Abati and Pat Utomi; why not shut up and wait till the profiles are published to see what the Unrulies have or have not done before shooting your mouth criticising a beautiful idea that has impacted the lifes of thousands of young people?

31. timbajo

December 8, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Hey seun….i do see your point…but at the end of the day i think you sound as silly as somebody for the way you replied as in all the name calling “ignorant” “shut up”..totally uncalled for

and seun about future awards impacting lives of thousands of young people…me i no know o!

me i dont know what Knightbeam does and even the Unrulies!and that is a fact…i do not know what they do as a team..!!!i know some of them have been nominated in the past in diff categories!!more grease to their elbow!!

while, nobody needs future awards to tell them they have done well in life..it must nice to be recognised!The future awards organizers do not know all nigerians so the list can never be accurate..they cant add everyone to the list!I commend future awards for what they are doing..and i think they have done well for themselves…3 years ago no one knew abt it and for them to have achieved this in so liitle time…they themselves should be given an award!!

me sef as i standa here i hope to make business person of the year list say in 3 years!!lol

its all good!!

32. Beekay

December 8, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I think the organizers should focus more on the credibility of nominees and I believe they can do more with less praise singers. Like someone its more about sustainance than present form & it can only be sustained when they carry people along.Like most people I am not happy with some nominations but nice job though.

33. seun

December 8, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Hi Timbajo; wen people like somebody make statements like that they ridicule the hardwork and achievement of people who win those awards. they reduce them to ‘friends of the organisers’ and that is not only ignorance but desztructive.

Criticism should be contructive. Do you know the tens of people like me whose work would have gone unnoticed if not for the future awards because they are not musicians or actors of because they are young? Do you know how many thousands of young people from different sectors that get inspired when they see stories of young peoiple like them who have been successfrul thorugh hard times? Lets think beyond ourselves and our narrow self-interest sometimes.

34. Francis Onwuachi

December 9, 2008 at 11:21 am

On-Air Personality of the Year . Yaw of Wazobia FM Lagos.

35. stb

December 12, 2008 at 12:26 pm

If there anyone that should be on the best use of technology list, it should be Imole Ajiboye. You can contact me to give you his email for an interview.

36. Aweda

December 13, 2008 at 7:22 am

Seun, I understand ur grievances, but then this award is highly MERITOCRACY, kudos to the organizer, I know a guy who was in total obscurity, but now illustrious when his good works were noticed by the organizer, I see the organizers as nation builders. Thanks

37. AsIf

December 17, 2008 at 1:23 am

In as much as i think the concept of the award is a good one, it is a known fact that awards are in most cases influenced by links, friends, etc …..

No Pun intended what r they unrulies or wotever they r called doing on the teams list, all i see about them on facebook r a bunch of unrulies [as the name implies..lol], partying n puting up pictures, u can call it BEEF but let the truth b told…
    goodluck to the nomineessss!

38. Ladi

December 17, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Lol! We’ll see when the nominee list is narrowed down before the awards!

39. tosyn

August 23, 2009 at 12:07 am

Love the UnRulies!

40. imzdone

November 12, 2009 at 2:41 pm

yeah u right, imole is d tech man