News

Interior Options: Proudly Nigerian, Passionately Made – Outstanding Furniture

BellaNaija.com

One of the key motivations behind BN is to promote and spotlight Nigerian individuals and companies that are doing fantastic work and setting us apart from the pack.
Looking through Interior Options (IO)‘s body of work highlights and proves that our country is filled with talented and skilled people.
IO Furniture headed by female entrepreneur Muni Shonibare was founded in 1987 in response to the inability of local furniture manufacturers to deliver the design and international quality standards required by our very discerning clientele. Since then, IO has evolved into the preferred and leading Furniture Manufacturing and Interior Design Consultancy Company in Nigeria with a reputation for creativity, innovation, design and quality.
The company launched their showroom ‘IO World‘ last year and now they are gearing up to host their annual open day, this year, the event has been tagged ‘Celebrate Your Space‘.
On Saturday 3rd October 2009, will showcase IO’s wide range of innovative furniture, particularly its functional and contemporary range of made in Nigeria furniture. The company will open its doors to invited guests, clients and individuals, offering them the singular opportunity to participate in the “IO World” experience and in this way, redefine conventional perceptions of furniture and space planning. The special guest of honour for the day is His Excellency, The Consulate General of Italy – Sig. Antonio Giandomenico.
According to Mrs Shonibare, “We pride ourselves on having something for everyone. Our goal is to inspire our clients’ emotional well-being and provide a productive ambience that reinforces their image through their choice of furniture and interior design”.
Absolutely stunning work! It is so refreshing to see that all these are MADE IN NIGERIA. It is also inspiring to see that the company is headed by a female entrepreneur. Check out photos below.
You can keep track of all things IO related via their Facebook Fanbook Page.
Interior Options Showcase Bella Naija023Interior Options Showcase Bella Naija032IOLogoInterior Options Showcase Bella Naija039Interior Options Showcase Bella Naija049Interior Options Showcase Bella Naija050Interior Options Showcase Bella Naija064
[slideshow id=142]

1. Afropolitan

September 18, 2009 at 7:50 pm

absolutely love it !!! I am into interior design myself…keep up the good work !!

God bless

• Uwem edem

May 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Wow this is awesome,im uwem uwem and i make rustic furnitures and i would like show you work with you,u can check out my works on(uwem edem)dats my facebook add.

• Uwem edem

May 15, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Wow this is awesome,im uwem uwem and i make rustic furnitures and i would like to work with you,u can check out my works on(uwem edem)dats my facebook add.

2. seanini

September 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm

am short of words,good one i feel like sleeping in that bedroom.

3. Dorah

September 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Cool stuff, very nice…but too modern for my tastes. I love a warm, inviting, “homey” space.

4. jules

September 18, 2009 at 11:03 pm

made in NG for real perfect is the word

5. Nice Anon

September 18, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Very nice modern and contemporary styles. The dark colors are a tad too dark otherwise this is great!

6. Pingback: Home Improvement blog. » Blog Archive » Interior Options: Proudly Nigerian, Passionately Made …

7. chinaka

September 18, 2009 at 11:53 pm

all i have to say is wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Malikah

September 19, 2009 at 1:06 am

Are those made in 9ja?amazing!!!!

9. Mark

September 19, 2009 at 9:50 am

For those of you who have not gone home in 30 years always sitting on the net talking mess. Yes, this is proudly Nigerian

10. Xos

September 19, 2009 at 10:12 am

That’s pretty.

11. Funmi

September 19, 2009 at 10:17 am

Are they made from nigerian here becos i know they can not produce that in nigeria.

12. Ola

September 19, 2009 at 10:42 am

Proudly “made in Nigeria” but will be “proudly expensive” as well. It would be cheaper for me to buy the fittings for a house, get it shipped and cleared at the ports – than to buy from these people. The esscence of it being made in Nigeria is therefore – WHAT?

13. S

September 19, 2009 at 12:07 pm

my thoughts exactly!!!

14. Support local design

September 19, 2009 at 1:48 pm

From the aesthetics, its easy to see that it is a premium product that is targeting a premium clientele.
    I know that the brand spent millions of $$ on their infrastructure as well as bringing in foreign expertise to assure the quality and I’m sure that is reflected in the price.
    Would it be possible to go abroad and fill a container with goods from ikea for less? Possibly, however if you tried to buy from designer brands like Roche Bobois or B&B italia, Interior options would seem like great value for money. Hopefully if those who can afford their products support them it will it will lead to the development of diffusion ranges that will be accessible to more pockets.

Personally, Im always happy to see nigerian brands daring to be better than the market expects, and while they will always be critisised for not being cheap enough initially, if they persevere we eventually take them to our hearts.

15. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 19, 2009 at 1:51 pm

How can u say that they cannot produce this in Nigeria.We ourselves can use our mouth to run our country down sa..later when foreigners start saying crap about us we get defensive..

@Ola me too i am thinking this stuff will be very expensive..still nice all d same

16. Support local design

September 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

You’ll be very happy to know that they ARE produced in Nigeria. Isnt it exciting that despite all the bad press this country receives, in some sectors, progress is real.

17. MiaJadore

September 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm

They are very gorgeous, modern, classy and high taste. However, I think they are for bachelors and singles. Not for homes, or houses with children. They are not functional, and don’t have that warm and cozy feeling. Always proud of Naija.

18. pam

September 19, 2009 at 8:26 pm

they do very homey spaces and pieces as well. at least iv been in a few homes theyve done in the 90s. glad to see these women going strong. im proud.

19. ladi

September 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Thats why Nigerian factories are all shut down including textiles (dead because of Swiss, Dutch, Austrian ankara laces) with thousands unemployed because of people like us. Mind you the more we IMPORT, the more we SCREW our country over.

I’m happy about Interior options but are they first/ only local furniture makers? Nope, go to Edo (tose guys are GREAT) and the streets of Abuja outskirts, they are cheap furniture makes with good quality so if you can’t afford IO, you don’t have to import. That’s why foreigners economies are getting better and Nigeria remains on of the POOREST countries in the world.

Ps. I learnt that in class. The embarrassment that killed me since I’m a small scale importing junkie.

20. ladi

September 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Foreign expertise? Great but are the current employees now Nigerian? I hope so its not ‘Made in Nigeria-by-foreigners’ which is the same as importing.

Cuz in Abuja, some of those ‘made in nigeria’ furniture people are just Lebanese and Chinese employing their own nationals and sending the revenue to their countries so Nigeria isn’t exactly better off.

21. sweetbabes

September 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm

really impressive!!…i love

22. GamGam

September 20, 2009 at 2:28 am

Na na, if its not affordable, fine. Let those who can afford buy, i will look for something elsewhere, but im mighty glad we are creating our own stuff.

23. Support local design

September 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm

From what I know they brought in italians as consultants because they make some of the best furniture in the world, but the workforce is predominantly nigerian.
    I take your point about our factories but they didnt close overnight but after decades of neglect. As a nation we have an inferiority complex about output and we assume things made locally to be poor quality and when we cant find fault with the quality we dont want to pay the price. If more people bought locally made goods, economies of scale would kick in that would bring prices down.
    Its people like yourself who see the correlation btwn imported goods and our crippled local economy that are going to make a big difference.

24. Yaffa

September 20, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I agree, this issue really bugs me. I think organising interesting events that aim to educate people about these issues would benefit the country.

25. [email protected]

September 20, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Wow… wish I have the money. Damn those rich.

26. [email protected]

September 20, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Amazing furniture!

27. obi

September 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Nigerians are the most intelligent people in the world!!
    Nigerians are the most creative people on the earth!!
    If you cannot be proud of any Made In Nigeria products do not write silly comments just keep your negative comments to yourself.

28. Suzanna Efiok

September 21, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I am very impressed and proud. I think the furniture is more for bachelors and/or couples without children, it would have been great of have seen other options that are geared towards a living situation involving children. Do they make furnitures that can withstand the assault of children, their toys and also those out of town guests? It is also great to know that Nigerians are proudly behind the concept and creation of these great looking items while providing an industry/work for our people. United We Stand O, Divided We Go Fall Like Tree!

29. luvlife

September 21, 2009 at 9:42 pm

No one has written any negative comment…….

30. maya

September 22, 2009 at 5:09 am

Very beautiful furniture/interior design, it looks like it came out of Architectural Digest or some other fancy mag…damn i wish i was sitting in that red kitchen right now !

31. BRIDGET OTUBOR

September 23, 2009 at 10:45 am

THIS IS A FURUNITURE WITH A CLASS BUT YOU CAN GET INSPIRATION FRM THIS INTERIOR AND DESIGN YOUR HOME.

32. david leramoh

November 4, 2009 at 12:43 pm

great work,i’m simply impressed and proudly nigerian.

33. Afam Nnaji

November 16, 2009 at 9:42 am

The pictures are ok but what bothers me is why companies like these cannot have fully functional websites where they can display real pictures of actual products well categorized and with enough information including pricing and ordering details.

http://www.itsyourcms.com is designed to help any individual, business or cooperation own a website including e-commerce functionality in a matter of hours or days as against weeks and months.

• Gbenga Daniels

April 12, 2011 at 1:22 am

based on your analysis , thot your website will be better….

34. Wharf Snake

March 18, 2010 at 9:52 pm

This furniture is a bit too European for my taste. Where are the african designers? Definitely, this is not going into my home.

35. rukky

April 18, 2010 at 10:51 pm

they r marvellous, when are u guyz setting it up here in nigeria? because we can’t wait…..

36. celestine

May 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm

pls i want 2 knw what it wii cost me for kitchen furniture,
    i need a good price cos i am a furniture dealer too and i will like do business
    with u people.my no:08067732194,08086867873.

37. Remi

May 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm

See Nigerians…. We never believe in ourselves…. anyway, someday your own product/service whatever will pass through this cycle too. Goodluck to you all.

38. olubunmi

May 30, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I am really with this women who have through thier work put a smile on my face
    damm those people with all those negative comments, while do they think that nigerians cannot make better things. We are the most talented, creative people on earth if only this useless government people will realise this and empower people.
    I have no doubt we can be a graet nation

39. deborah msheia

June 11, 2010 at 12:18 am

made in nigeria,for realy?i think they r impressive.relly nice.

40. tola

September 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm

IO OPEN DAY is the 9th of OCTOBER, come & experience MAGIC.

41. bosun

December 29, 2010 at 9:02 am

Good day. My company cud handle the laminate flooring of the stage 4 your company. Thks
    Gsm- 08022014959, 08163319900.

42. demola

February 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm

look ppl.. end of the day rite.. every gud things dat have class is expensive but even in london only ppl dat can afford it will get it and dey pay… i think 9ja is doing well but it could be beta… i love designing and i payed £26,000 jst because i want to be a pro in d firm.. am not in design for money, i love doing it.

43. abiodun adedeji

May 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

I ve got a passion for interior design qudos to u mrs shonibare ur my role model. Beautiful work

44. habeeb

June 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i fink its very awesome and i really love what im seeing,i am into interior design/decorations too…..and im very good in Auto Cad design just finish my curse in interior desingn/decoration from GOA,and i am looking for a company i can do my IT,i dunno if i can do it in you company…..

45. habeeb

June 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm

waiting for your feed back Mrs

46. Ag for short

July 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Wow! Dese are really beautiful pieces of furniture. Itz really gud 2 knw dat nigerians are capable of such masterpiece. I’m really glad. . This is an inspiration 2 me cos i also wnt 2 go into interior designs and i dnt knw whr 2 strt from.

47. Mark Abah

August 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm

For all i know nigerians are very creative. Take it or leave it. I am a fine art student of ABU Zaria and to the best of my knowledge there is no limite to what we can do interms of creativity. So it makes me wonder when people doubt our ability as Nigerians to produce works that are of high aesthetic quality like the once on this website. Well i gues its becouse they cant pay for it.

48. pamma

October 8, 2011 at 5:32 am

This is a challenge to my Chinese friends…love this.keep it up dear.

49. totalelitecabin

December 2, 2011 at 9:06 am

so interesting to see Nigerians creating wonder piece of furniture,you can check my blog for constant news on the furniture industry.www. totalelitecabin.blogspot.com

50. abigael

March 1, 2012 at 3:12 am

want to go into interior deco too, love dis work. do mail me pls

51. ojeh prince

March 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

i make customised lamp shades that will suit with your decoration works

• ohis

January 29, 2015 at 11:01 pm

pls concerning your lampshade send me ur contact details my email is [email protected]