News

Sierra Leone’s fashion maven Aschobi scores again with the “Black and White” collection

Aschobi’s fourth collection, Black and White, projects the “refined rock chic” look with its muted use of colour and embellishment of the pieces with various materials including metal studs and chains. Aschobi shows through this collection that monochrome pieces can be stylish, sophisticated and can work in any wardrobe.

Designer, Adama Kai, the head designer and founder of Aschobi gives us insight into this collection:

On theme/Inspiration behind the Collection: “The inspiration behind this collection came to me one day as I day dreamed of a gig on the Lower East Side, where Debbie Harry and Shingai Shoniwa shared a stage. It would be an Afro Glam Rock event. Armed with this reverie, I went about picking apart both women’s public persona’s in their various modes of dress, whilst bringing forth that rare edge defining factor that sets the Aschobi woman apart”

On the Silhouette: “The shapes of the pieces in the collection are much more structured and angular even as they hug the curves of the ultra feminine woman. This time around I used different embroidery techniques to engulf chunks of studded bibs, shoulders, and bustiers.The use of soft, delicate and stretchy fabrics alongside such hard techniques gave the collection a sultry dark defining essence. I focused on designing pieces that spoke to the timelessness of Debbie Harry’s rock star glamour whilst bringing forth the cross cultural sounds and global style that Shingai and other young African musicians have brought to the international music arena”

On the fabric choices: “For this collection I focused on combining traditional soft, fluid dyed silks alongside more modern metallic fabrics, as well as traditional country cloth weaves with silver metallic threads intertwined in the weave. I also used some malleable soft leathers. I wanted to work with fabrics that would accentuate the angular lines”

We totally love the clean lines and presentation of this collection. This collection is quite a departure from Aschobi’s previous collections, therefore its great to see a different aesthetic from the designer. Check out the photos from the lookbook below.
IMG_2413 copy

IMG_2428 copy

IMG_2430 copy

IMG_2454 copy

IMG_2459 copy

IMG_2483 copy

IMG_2492 copy

IMG_2506 copy

IMG_2523 copy

IMG_2527 copy

Visit Aschobi’s recently launched website HERE

Currently working in the IT industry as a Junior Software Programmer.Im in my early 20's and a huge fan of Sex and the City and the character Carrie Bradshaw who happens to be my Style Icon.You can simply say I am the thin line between IT and Fashion.

1. Anya

February 12, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I love it, these designs are HAUTE & Chic. This is more like Black & Silver because simple black & white would’ve been kinda boring!

2. yes i said it

February 13, 2010 at 12:35 am

what is the name of this designer?

3. Jen

February 13, 2010 at 4:39 am

did you read the title and article? Ascobi!

4. Terence Sambo

February 13, 2010 at 5:23 am

It’s so so RAD. It exudes strength and independence, somewhat shabby chic which is so du jour at d moment thanx to Rihanna :oD

5. yes i said it

February 13, 2010 at 11:46 am

Hey, its not my fault BN does not edit their coments when they edit their articles k. When i read this article last night, the name of the designer or where she was from wasnt there. I know Aschobi and the models they normally use so it made me wonder whether there was another Aschobi desigher. Newaysssssss, thanks BN 4 taking note.

6. Ndy

February 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm

i actually like the black leather dress, i wish she went far with the concept. I am guessing this is not all the collection. From the above, she has some strong pieces and a couple of not so strong one.

7. Bola #1

February 14, 2010 at 7:41 am

lovely looks, classic black with a soft edge

8. duchess419

February 15, 2010 at 10:55 am

Just like the halter neck dress at the end, da rest,mmmmmmmm!! lol

9. memyselfandi

February 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

Adama Sallie Kargbo is the designer. she is currently residing in freetown Sierra Leone here is her facebook account she makes exclusive designs so if you are interested just facebook her to get some details http://www.facebook.com/SallieAdamaKaiKargbo#!/SallieAdamaKaiKargbo

10. mo

February 19, 2010 at 9:41 am

I like Aschobi and hope to get something when next I can (event or maybe she’ll come to London/NYC) but I am NOT feeling this black/white business.

It’s: boring; sterile; and just BLAH. Where is the excitement? And individuality. Hmm, I’ll pass on this. Still love the designer and company tho.

11. Ajara Bomah

February 23, 2010 at 9:58 am

I Love Sierra Leone—–Adama your doing great things for our beloved country. Glad that your shinning here on Bella..keep up the good work sis…

12. amber rose

March 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm

utterly awful….i mean the model. she did nothing to enhance the clothes….i wld nt buy anythn even for ‘dash’….dats just me sayn…but on sm1 else, it might look good