Style

Dresses Worthy of a Goddess by Asakeoge

For all those who love statement pieces, the Goddess collection by Asakeoge is the way to go! Each piece in the collection embodies the feminine silhouette and shows a fine sense of style on any wearer. In addition, the collection tells a story of the African heritage with the display of intriguing animal imagery and effervescent stones on each piece.

Creative Director, Asake Agoro, talks about the collection and its inspiration.

Inspiration
While always striving to make my work appeal to a wider western market, I also want them to reflect my roots without intimidating those unfamiliar with my bold creative style. I try to infuse an essence of who I am, not just a designer, but a fashion artist. I want each piece to tell a story. Who I am, where I am from, why you should wear it. I think I have achieved all that with this collection. It’s not a collection for the fainthearted…only a ‘goddess’ can wear it. She is proud of her roots. She knows who she is. She boldly commands attention.

I thought of how I would describe Africa to a deaf and dumb Eskimo. We are ‘primitive’ yet sophisticated. We have beautiful sunsets. We have exotic flowers. Like the Scorpion Dress we are alien to those who don’t understand us. Yet our difference is the attraction. We are a rich black nation, hence the use of the black taffeta as a palette. We are proud of our heritage-the Peacock Dress. We have exotic creatures, beautiful waterfalls…each dress tells a story about my homeland. We are blessed with precious stones hence the use of stones, sequins and Swarovski beads on each piece. Each piece is a collector’s item. When you wear it you are saying, this is who I am, learn, explore, and fall in love.

There aren’t many well established international African designers out there and one person who has inspired me has been Yemi Osunkoya of Kosibah creations. Meeting him at the Fashion4Africa Tourism Awards where I came runner-up has been inspiring. I also have a ready to wear collection for the everyday fashionista. The brand has also attracted interest in Nigeria’s music industry as London based afro singer Shady Blue has worn it for her concert and upcoming artist Brigitte Gyado will be wearing an Asakeoge dress for her concert hosted by the Prince Albert of Monaco.

The Asakeoge brand is basically for trend-setters and not fashion followers. In ten years time I want the company to represent ethnic fashion on a global scale. Designing and delivery of classic and quirky pieces to a global customer base.

View the Goddess Collection:

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Peacock Dress by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

Goddess collection by Asakeoge couture

Goddess collection by Asakeoge

“Simply put, Asakeoge is a statement that describes the energy and spirit of Africa. Passionate. Creative. Bold”

Visit Asakeoge website
[email protected]

Currently working in the IT industry as a Junior Software Programmer.Im in my early 20's and a huge fan of Sex and the City and the character Carrie Bradshaw who happens to be my Style Icon.You can simply say I am the thin line between IT and Fashion.

1. Temilayo

May 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

all a bunch of cheap looking clothes in my opinion… no offence

• mbabazi

January 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm

i think its the chice of materials and finishing thats letting them down. fine

2. nino

May 12, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Pic 1 and 3…after that…you are on your own!

3. JesulayomiBella

May 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm

the first dress took my breath! and the black one with the butterflyy.

4. Joy

May 13, 2010 at 1:31 am

the red and black one–> LOVE IT!

5. Bola #1

May 13, 2010 at 4:04 am

i can’t lie, some of the looks on the runway look sloppy- it’s either the hair/hair piece or the the finishing of the outfits.
    nice concepts though.

6. bibi

May 13, 2010 at 5:09 am

not feeling it…d models look ugly…not kool

7. fokasibe

May 13, 2010 at 8:03 am

Naah!!! Tres…horrible!!

8. reen

May 13, 2010 at 8:31 am

yah! some of d dresses r ok cept that some of them look like wot we’ve seen. d white models no fine abeg esp d 2nd pic. In all, designer theres room for improvement ok?

9. Pocahontas

May 13, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’m not feeling the designs oh. For a collection that relied so heavily on bustier-styled tops and gowns, I think she has a lot of work to do. The models’ breasts look flattened. I think the designer should be patient, take her time and put her best foot forward…and I agrre with Bola. The finishing of the clothes was not it at all. No offence

10. tesie

May 13, 2010 at 10:47 am

I tink d designer lacks creativity…they’l look like same designs in different colours…there isn’t fun in it

11. adebyt

May 13, 2010 at 10:47 am

This designs a really not runway worthy, the designer needs to be more creative, and pey more attention to detail.my advice -Get inspired, Go back to the drawing board and produce designs that are mind blowing, if in ten years time she wants to represent ethinic fashion on the global scale, she will really need to stand out and be different….. just my humble opinion

12. anon

May 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm

eek, not the best collection i’ve seen men. can BN PLEASE discriminate as
    far as what y’all post? esp. when it comes to fashion? BN can’t and shouldn’t be a dumping ground for any
    and everybody abeg.

13. newyork

May 13, 2010 at 1:17 pm

only numba 3 make am

14. Bobby

May 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Wow i was at this fashion show in brick lane,London. well done bella naija.

15. Bobby

May 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Just because you don’t like the clothes doesn’t make them bad, i was d show and clearly u can see the amount of work d designer put into those clothes, good job ,its a thousand easier to seat on ur backside and criticize that to create something yourself

16. WaleAdeniji

May 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Asakeoge, thank you very much for using these beautiful models. I have alway advocate for the use of our black ladies since we have more than enough of them that are beautiful. I have no problem with few white we have here but very happy with the number of black ladies there. You’re very creative and i love all the job. Keep it up.

17. Blossom

May 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Number 1 and number 3 models (and designs) are pretty. The others are just so so.
    *Blank stare*

18. NAIJA VIXEN

May 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I’m sorry but i’m not feeling this =( but i do like the last dress, at the same time I
    I do think the designer is talented but maybe im just not feeling this collection.

19. nino

May 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm

dear bobby, i cant imagine the effort but i cant imagine you buying some of these outfits too, that is if u r a lady!

20. FashionAfrica

May 13, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Awesome awesome collection! Big kudos to an African designer who is not recycling ankara designs for us. I understand how people who know nothing about creativity can talk. Pls dont give up your day jobs!

21. Wales

May 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This pictures dont do the clothes any justice! was at this show and I thought the models they used were too amateur…The clothes are amazing tho…This Young upcoming designer is one to watch out for

22. Hilda

May 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Constructive criticism people, not bashing! I can imagine this takes alot of work, but sincerely she needs to do much more work on her bustiers. If she cant get that right, nothing will look right.

23. Ebun

May 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I think there the fact that she was the runner up in the Tourism awards counts for something. Her designs do have a flamboyance and quirkiness you can relate to. Having worn one of her dresses and received a number of compliments, i’ve probably got a more positive perspective. Having said that, theres always room for improvement, so Asake take the criticism constructively, roll your sleeves up and get stuck in the creative mode.

24. ait

May 13, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Pix 3.very Cool.pix 1 ok too.bits of d dresses stand out, like d camel skirt N d red crisscrossed back but put togeda they sumtimes come out lukin rushed. Tink she shd improve on her finishing. She’s got a good concept.

25. okere

May 13, 2010 at 8:14 pm

badly made i must say!
    it looks unproffesional
    it looks cheap and it doesnt flatter the womens body
    sorry….next—>

26. Iya Iseyin

May 13, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Beautiful!!! You can only get better! Dont worry too much about the negative criticism its just ammunition to do better. Well done!

27. Molly

May 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Nope, this is n’t it…sorry

28. Somto

May 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm

The dresses were tasteless. It looks like the dress was made from like cheap fabric or paper. The dresses looked typical. Scorpions, camels, butterflies, peacocks????? Poor job…. no offence. it wasn’t even like true, pure African print!!!

29. OGAofUMD

May 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I give the designer a big GURL PLEASE! Amateur tailoring, stupid styles, and WTF are those models. Betta come harder next time or don’t come at all. And to the chick above me, really? You think this is “beautiful”? I’m sure you’re one of the models. Please o, “asekeoge”, take this “ammunition” and do better when you sit on the sewing machine again.

30. IyaOge

May 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Welldone AsakeOge!!! Ur creativity, boldness and hardwork should be
    commended! As Iya Iseyin said, u can only get better and the sky is your
    starting point!!!
    If only we can have more black women take a bold step and be as dedicated
    and hardworking as you are, instead of being cynical,
    the world will be a better place!!!

31. OGAofUMD

May 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm

And even you Bella Naija, am I reading the caption right? “Dresses fit for a goddess”? Really??

32. Nkem

May 14, 2010 at 9:42 am

Enemies of progress, that is why some of yall will never make much progress in life- because of ur sharp tongues and hurtful thoughts. Even those of you who kmow nothing are so quick to judge and condemn. I do not know the designer, but u dont need to know her in order to speak the truth. The designs are ‘different’ but it doesnt make them bad. some of you must have it going bad for you in life, infact some of you have no life. what have you all achieved in your life so far – NOTHING. yoyr case is the case of empty barrels – serious case of iti kom kom – and like bella once put it – verbal diarrhoea is worrying you all.

33. Flo

May 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Am amazed at these designs, nice to see a change from the boring ankara print. obviously some people some people dont understand the difference between constructive criticism and mindless hating.i have an Asakeoge dress and it still remains one of the best pieces in my wardrobe next to Vera Wang! keep doing your thing gurl, when poeple start hating then you know you have arrived!

34. AfroFashionista

May 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

hahahahaha! OGAofUMD perhaps you have a personal grievance with this designer that you should settle? Love 1 and the last, those in between not really my cup of tea…but its obvious that much attention has been given to detail…getting a good review from a maestro like Kosibah creations is no mean feat…Job welldone overall

35. Bobby

May 14, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Lol, i agree with the person that said the pictures didn’t do justice to d clothes, am noy a lady but i would buy one of the clothes for partner is she likes it. fine u can criticize her work but at least giver her some credits first and it should be constructive not just because u don’t like it.

36. beautiful iris

May 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Haba guys,give the designer a break.Learn to give constructive criticism not
    bashing her work STUPIDLY.Asake is obviously a work in progress:encourage
    her to keep at it and with years of honing her skills,she’ll do great.
    Rome wasn’t built in a day jo.

I’ve observed people that give NASTY comments ain’t usually that good at what
    they do.

37. Lina

May 14, 2010 at 9:32 pm

ok people, even tho i stated looking at this and tot some of them are nice and who would wear such things? i must NIGERIANs ARE PROFESSONAL HATERS, chineke…mehn everytime i come on this site all i read is ppl being professional haters.
    Guys if you dont like it dont buy it, its not by force. you shld the rubbish some designers feature in new york fashion week and london fashion week…its RIDIC and they get paid for it. nuff said! be a bit more positive ppl

38. beautiful iris

May 15, 2010 at 10:54 am

Exactly my point Lina.Nigerians or is it the Black skin…we HATE with a
    PASSION.

39. freelancerpoint

May 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I know d designer from way back and looking back @ how playful she used to be, dis is something to be proud of. She is on her way up, all dis successful designers started from somewhere and I believe with a lil bit of harder work, she will do better. Personally, I love the 3rd dress but u need to improve in ur bustiers. That purple dress also should av bn worn by a dark person or @list a model dat has her hair up. I believe in u tho, so pls put more effort Yomi. you will get there someday soon. Thumbs up

40. Olivia M.

May 17, 2010 at 2:43 am

I really didnt get any Wow effect from the design. Poor job on the detailing on the dresses.Good job though.

41. deedoubleU

May 17, 2010 at 7:09 pm

constructive criticism : i liked 1st and 3rd….. A Goddess – has a to have a WOW factor
    These dresses are not worthy of a goddess, not yet, you have
    good fabrics, i was expecting to see more handwork in it..lacey,silk, embellishing,embroidery
    although your work still looks unfinished inshort this is an assignment for you miss asake,no pun intended…..wrong models and its
    obvious that these dresses where done in a hurry as well,so i suggest you redo some of these collections, be more creative.
    Think beauty, Earth, motherhood, love, e.g greek, eyptians women think cleopatra, nefertiti,watch epic movies like troy, alexander, odyssey for atleast some inspiration, watch how the women carry themselves..(strong beautiful women, gracious, elegant, soft, simple &wow)…I will really be looking forward to seeing your next collection and i’m sure you will improve.

42. adenike

May 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm

The last outfit/model look a bit like what they call “sikira toko de”….Sikira just arrived from the farm!

43. Faramade

May 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm

1st and 3rd i really like. The others are just ok….

44. Adaeze

May 17, 2010 at 11:15 pm

This was a collected disaster of an extremely unfortunate event to ungracefully grace the catwalk. You owe a deep and sincere apology to one another both the designer and the models. Finally give up this nightmare you have created.

45. Aibee

May 18, 2010 at 9:43 am

The clothes come across like thos ones they showcase in those posters tailors in Lagos hang on their walls. I really did not feel the collection at all and there isn’t a single piece I’d buy for myself. Matter of fact, there isn’t a single piece I’d wear even if I was dashed.

Asake, take all the criticism in ggod faith and please work on your creativity and finishing. the bustiers didn’t ‘boost’ the models’ decollatage. They just looked kliked the boobs were flattened.
    The make up needs a drastic improvement. the girls looked like Sulia alata who sells pepper in Daleko market.

Better luck next time.

46. beeenieman

May 21, 2010 at 1:25 am

fantastic!!!!!!!!. so so proud of you!!!!!!!

47. GLORY

May 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm

there wasnt an outstanding style or design,
    fabrics were ok but also same.
    girl, pls get more creative.
    good luck !

48. shola

May 29, 2010 at 7:57 pm

ohh my yommy am very proud of you sky is the begining for you dear…..am very proud

49. tana

June 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm

lol pele asake, dem don yab you finish ….i dont think they are all that bad, i like the red one, just work more on yourself , dont let anyone put you down.

50. Elegance

July 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I love number one, love it, love, love it. Well Done and i looking forward to purchasing an item in the future, already order one. Some people would express that they do not like them etc and that is up to them – DO NOT take it in a bad way as that is just life, not everyone is supportive and I guess they don’t like the fact you are getting somewhere!! Love all your Facebook photo’s..x