News

‘Rights of a Woman’ – This Week on Moments With Mo

BellaNaija.com

Panel discusses Women's rights in Nigeria

On this episode of ‘Moments With Mo’, Mo focuses on the different forms of violence and abuse against women in our society. She speaks to a panel of experts and as part of this episode she follows the story of a 13 year old girl who was sexually abused by her uncle.

It is great when these issues that are often masked under a veil of silence are discussed. However, based on statistics from various women’s rights organizations in Nigeria. Violence and abuse against women is still prevalent in Nigeria. We hope that TV programs such as this alongside educational and empowerment initiatives by various non profits in Nigeria help curb this disturbing trend.

Dr. Lanre Olusola with Mo Abudu

This episode will air on Tuesday 18th of October 2010 on MNet West Africa by 9.30pm with repeat broadcasts on the same channel on Wednesdays by 2pm and Saturdays by 2.30pm.

Sponsored Content

1. Ifeoma

October 18, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Mo wears heels a lot – I am wondering about her knees and back. Would it be a case of when she presents her show; one day, maybe with sweats and trainers or tee shirt on sweats and sneakers. You know… just the relaxation effect. Nice show, of course it is. It is just a suggestion. Bellanaija.com, what about funmi’s show, is it still going on? And agatha amatha even tricia esiegbe. Just asking 🙂

• beezy

October 18, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Seriously????……. Na wa for some BN comments sha….

• Ashabs

October 19, 2010 at 2:26 am

Bia wetin concern you. She probably wears heels while recording the show…which is hella sexy. Abi have you seen her wear heels to the gym ni? Go and ask Oprah the same question. **eye roll**

2. remmy

October 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

@ ifeoma, what other type of shoes would or can be much more appropriate for the kind of programme she hosts if not heels .. Heels do make ladies look absolutely elegant!.. trainners/ tshirts will definately be a NO NO for the standard of this programme as it is of international standard. Plus she sits down most of the time so dont fear for her knees and back.. if she is comfortable in heels, pls let her be!
    beautiful programme by the way mo! I am proud of you!

3. The Bola

October 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Nice to know that the issue of abuse esp especially child rape is being spoken about.
    In most cases, people refuse to address it because of avoiding so-called shame.

4. bukky

October 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

5. Zara

October 18, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Chei! I really wish we in America can watch this show. In fact, I wish I can get MNET in America 🙁

• beezy

October 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm

lol @ “we in America”……. who send u?

• Zara

October 18, 2010 at 11:00 pm

what’s that supposed to mean? so ppl outside Nigeria can’t wish to watch Nigerian programs where they live? u think every Nigeria must live in Nigeria? In case u don’t know, some Nigerians are born outside Nigeria

• Jack

October 19, 2010 at 2:23 am

Na your papa send am.

6. reengo

October 19, 2010 at 9:11 am

[email protected] all d comments.

7. beezy

October 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

@ Nne Zara… i’m having a lighbulb moment *smacks my forehead*….. Some nigerians are born outside Nigeria……. lol
    @Jack….. wats wrong honey? Having a bad day?

• Zara

October 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Ignorance is bliss!

8. Another Ifeoma

October 21, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Seriously????!!! SERIOUSLY?????? A major issue is being talked about and the best you can come up with is “What’s with the heels?” ? I fear for our women o! Are you saying you don’t know of anyone who’s being abused physically, emotionally ,sexually or otherwise? What if it was your sister or daughter that was on that show? Would you even notice if Mo was starkers? Listen up,ladies! This is an issue that is almost exclusively peculiar to women. Guess who will put an end to it….nope,not the men who are either the perps or covering for the perps! It is you,woman! Open up and speak out against this evil! Reach out and support those who dare to speak out!

There are plenty of females being abused..even someone you know! Hiding from the reality of it doesn’t make it any less true. So,lend your minds to a workable solution. If not, then may God have mercy on our daughters ..and our daughters’ daughters !!!!!!

9. Another Ifeoma

November 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm

You may write me down in history
    With your bitter, twisted lies,
    You may trod me in the very dirt
    But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
    Why are you beset with gloom?
    ‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells
    Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
    With the certainty of tides,
    Just like hopes springing high,
    Still I’ll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
    Bowed head and lowered eyes?
    Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
    Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
    Don’t you take it awful hard
    ‘Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines
    Diggin’ in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
    You may cut me with your eyes,
    You may kill me with your hatefulness,
    But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
    Does it come as a surprise
    That I dance like I’ve got diamonds
    At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
    I rise
    Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
    I rise
    I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
    Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
    Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
    I rise
    Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
    I rise
    Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
    I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
    I rise