News

Y! Magazine presents the ‘Freedom Issue’ featuring Nigeria’s Most Influential Young People

BellaNaija.com

The second issue of Y! Magazine is hitting newsstands this week and we are definitely looking forward to grabbing a hold of this issue.
This issue of the magazine is themed the “Freedom Issue” and for this Y! has selected 50 of the most influential young Nigerians under 35, and – working with the model of Time Magazine’s Most Influential 100 – this edition got sterling individuals to write shorts essay about these young leaders.

In addition, because of course there are many other brilliant young Nigerians outside that list of 50, the editorial board listed out a further 200 names inspire hope for Nigeria’s future: names including Genevieve Nnaji, Bode Pedro, Hassan Rilwan, Dimeji Alara, Adaobi Nwaubani and many others.

Other articles in this edition include an incisive piece about all the presidential contenders written by Tolu Ogunlesi, a roll call of all the remarkable things young people have done since Nigeria’s independence by Atom Lim, a provocative piece by Amara Nwakpa called “Can We trust this Jonathan?” and others.

Highlights include a review of Ije by Cheta Nwanze , Yetunde Taiwo of IcyPR’s feature as  this quarter’s Bright Young Thing, Tosin Martins shares his inspiration story losing a child and trudging on, there’s a beautiful wedding feature, award winning poet Uche Peter Umez sends in a Letter from Switzerland, Maye Hunta (who sang the popular Ekaette song) joins radio presenters Manny and Sola Thompson as they talk about ‘dangerous housegirls’ and there are exciting reviews from Wana Udobang, Adebayo Omisore, Chinedu Iroche and others!

Check out some snippets from the magazine below and see the complete list of “Who’s writing about who” below.

Who is writing about Who?

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Ify Aniebo –Ndidi Nwuneli
Yagazie Chukwumerije – ‘Shina Okeleji
Adebola Lewis – Funke Bucknor
Fatima Zara Modibbo – Subomi Plumptre
Tolu Ogunlesi – Chika Unigwe
Warebi Martha – Indiasho
MI Abaga – Dayo Adeneye (D-One)
Maste Uwatse – Toni Kan
Andre Blaze – Ebuka Obi-Uchendu
Ifunanya Maduka – Toyin Subair
Kenneth Gyang – Tajudeen Adepetu
Omoyemi Akerele – Tara Fela-Durotoye

1. Peperempe

October 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Sounds like a great idea….and Bella is on the list! Congrats my dear, you deserve it!!!!

2. Brittle Paper

October 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm

“Living from Car to Car.” Talk about creative titles.

3. Remi Fagbohun

October 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm

It’s good seeing the future being represented the RIGHT way!!
    With so much negativity out there, this is always refreshing to see.
    As always, good job BN.

4. Dee

October 18, 2010 at 6:04 pm

How do we get copies of the magazine?

5. Femi Salawu

October 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm

my eyes are filled wit lust for dis magzine. cant wait to caress it wit my hands!!!

6. Zara

October 18, 2010 at 7:34 pm

how do people outside of Nigeria get a hold of the magazine copy?

7. Keke

October 18, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Wow! That’s all I can say. If every page looks dis good, then wow!

8. The Bola

October 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm

How come Uche Eze (a.k.a. brains behind BN) isn’t on this list.
    Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I’ve combed through this list 4X, still can’t find her name…

9. ade o

October 19, 2010 at 6:45 am

I want! I want! I waaaaaaaant!

10. Tola

October 19, 2010 at 8:03 am

Hallo. I can’t seem to find a website or a link to the mag, where can one get it?

11. Gino

October 19, 2010 at 11:40 am

I cant wait to own a copy.

12. ola badmus

October 19, 2010 at 12:34 pm

This is fantastic but I will love to ask, why were the BLING boys Ohimai Godwin Amaize (maga no need pay) and Fiammari M. Zoaka ( cool2vote) not profiled.. Those boys are doing great service to nigeria.. Godwin is 26 and is dele momodu’s campaign coordinator while Zoaka is about 25 and cool2vote has gone beyond boarders. Just my thoughts..
    Great job all the same.

• mee

October 19, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I thought some names were glaringly missing as well. But what do I know

13. Kennrth

October 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Hello,

The magazine is available from Wednesday at Terra Kulture, the Silverbird Lifestyle Store and others in Lagos.

It will be with Vendors and with selected states from Monday. More info on http://www.ynaija.com!

14. Tosin

November 1, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I’ll go out now and check if my fave vendor has it. The cover is beautiful, the concept is time/labour-intensive, and I hope it’s just madd motivational. The first Y! magazine was really different too – imagine an enjoyable magazine that is also about important issues. More power.

15. onakoya oludotun

February 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’ve read through the magazine and I am wondering why I didn’t see someone like Muyiwa Ademola in the list of the 50 young people who will change nigeria.Looking at his productions(both as a director and a script/story writter), I must say he is one of the best hands I know in the movie industry at present.I didn’t even sight his name in the other “suplementary” list.Y!